Despicable Me 2 or Monsters University?

Which do you think will be the BEST ANIMATED MOVIE OF THE YEAR?
Krisha Tongco
06-27-2013 06:16 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Muhammad Naufal Zidan Supranoto

30% DM2 ,100% MU!!!!!

Dec 23 - 06:06 PM

Despicable me 2 Only Funny That Film Not Had A Realistical Story

Dec 23 - 06:05 PM

Of Course Ilike Monster University, It's Like We Are In The Real World like : in The School Wecannot Cheating Because Cheating Is A Crime , And DM2 Is Not Realistical Story or Action So I Rating MONSTER UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 23 - 06:04 PM

Willow Andrews

Willow Andrews

I liked MU as well but I just think that Dm2 was funnier, although MU has a much better story, Dm2 was just better for me.

Nov 1 - 02:03 AM

Willow Andrews

Willow Andrews

Dm2

Nov 1 - 02:00 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

dm2 but i can see MU winning an oscar if no other animated film is good enough......I LOVE dm2 because i fell the animtion genre is the only genre which i want no emotional depth and want the impossible to be the possible with great clean jokes

Oct 3 - 08:55 AM

Sam Denyer

Sam Denyer

DM2 was funnier but Monsters University was more well-rounded.

Sep 10 - 10:15 AM

The Masked Lover

Themasked Lover

LOL. love the minions, gotta say

Aug 23 - 01:20 PM

Rachel O.

Rachel Oliva

Despicable me 2. No brainer

Aug 13 - 06:01 PM

Aaron Hughes

Aaron Hughes

draw

Aug 8 - 11:25 PM

John Rankin

John Rankin

MONSTERS UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 7 - 04:46 AM

Saahil Ahmed

Saahil Ahmed

Monster's University

Aug 5 - 11:06 AM

Donna Badaglialacqua

Donna Badaglialacqua

Absolutely Despicable. Had no clue I would be laughing so much I had tears. How delightful.

Aug 1 - 11:47 PM

dudul

tenzin dudul

I am eagerly waiting for Frozen.

Jul 31 - 07:24 PM

Anna Garmashevskaya

Anna Garmashevskaya

No doubt, Despicable me 2 is better!

Jul 31 - 06:57 AM

John Rankin

John Rankin

Here's my opinion on each

MU:
I Think MU had a better story,with fantastic animation,a few likable characters and jokes that crack me up,I'd give it 82/100

Jul 31 - 04:58 AM

David Gilmer

David Gilmer

Critically, MU. Financially, Despicable Me 2.

Jul 29 - 10:13 AM

John C.

John Criger

Monsters University

Jul 25 - 10:16 AM

Papeado D.

Papeado Daniel

QUE PASA CON LOS CROODS? ELLA FUE LA MEJOR...

Jul 24 - 04:43 PM

Sameer S.

Sameer Sharma

despicable me 2 was way better

Jul 24 - 12:23 AM

Sameer S.

Sameer Sharma

dm2

Jul 24 - 12:23 AM

Daniel Li

Daniel Li

Quite a battle, but I think Monsters University will come out on top.

Jul 22 - 03:19 PM

Rohit Jadhav

Rohit Jadhav

Monster university hands down.

Jul 22 - 06:06 AM

Caroline Smith

Caroline Smith

Monsters University by far.

Jul 20 - 07:29 PM

Gavin King

Gavin King

MU, but I definitely of course loved DM2. 95% for MU and 93% for DM2

Jul 20 - 11:09 AM

Barrel Scraper

Barrel Scraper

DM2 hands down.

Jul 15 - 07:53 AM

Jordan Brown

Jordan Brown

You mean which movie do I prefer? MU duh, I grew up with Pixar. That isn't the only reason though. Despicable Me 2 felt kind of rushed to me, and I didn't really like the plot all that well. It was all over the place really and I felt it couldn't focus on what it actually wanted to be about. MU on the other hand had it all, great plot, humor that I actually laughed at, and at the end of the movie I smiled, something I haven't done since the ending of Wreck-It-Ralph. Disney can truly be amazing when it wants to be, it just needs to try harder to find it's own pace and stop trying to market movies for the money money money...I mean Planes? REALLY?! Please slap whoever thought of that, and then fire them...through a cannon...strapped to a rocket ship...with a live shark......into a volcano....spoiler aleeeeeert!!!! lol

Jul 12 - 02:55 AM

Ibrahem Elhai

Ibrahem Elhai

Despicable me 2 not that great as a story maybe will not even get Nominated for best animated (like the first one)

Jul 11 - 04:56 AM

Russell Quisenberry

Russell Quisenberry

I liked both but despicable me 2 was more fun!

Jul 10 - 08:07 PM

hadisyd

Mike Richards

Despicable Me 2

Jul 9 - 03:29 PM

Matthew Whitney

Matthew Whitney

Despicable Me 2 wins Hands down. not even a close competition.

Jul 9 - 06:51 AM

Ibrahem Elhai

Ibrahem Elhai

What about the croods and frozen ???

Jul 8 - 02:18 PM

I fight for the users

Ian Fastert

MU. It's fantastic.

Jul 8 - 08:54 AM

Owen Rogers

Owen Rogers

It's hard to pick, they're both so terrible.

Jul 8 - 05:56 AM

Martin Donald

Martin Donald

I watched both and I liked them , But DM2 has a weak plot so I will go with MU

Jul 7 - 11:28 PM

Krisha Tongco

Krisha Tongco

Well, I just got to see Despicable Me 2 and although I liked it, I'd have to give my vote to MU. DM2 was fun but MU was just the better movie.

Jul 7 - 09:51 PM

Paul Harris

Paul Harris

I'd have to go with MU, even though I love Despicable Me 2, MU just won me over with its heartfelt ending

Jul 7 - 08:10 AM

Oliver Galleguez

Oliver Galleguez

MU ftw. DM2's story felt rushed. The Mexican guy's not even a strong antagonist. In other words DM2 doesn't even have a decent story to tell. Well, MU's not that good but I liked it, it has turns you'll never expect. Yes, MU's serious but at least it has story.

I'm posting this on the DM2 page. F*ck me right?

Jul 6 - 07:03 AM

Jb Yong

Jb Yong

I like DM2. MU was way too serious which made it less funny and that took away from charm of original. Too much Mike arguing and moping around with big guy and recycle of revenge of nerds - not fun or funny.

Jul 6 - 04:52 AM

Alastair Wakelin

Alastair Wakelin

The croods

Jul 6 - 04:02 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Despicable Me 2

Jul 5 - 04:38 AM

Shritan Varma

Shritan Varma

DM2

Jul 5 - 02:43 AM

Marier Villarreal

Marier Villarreal

I saw MU and was a bit disappointed. So I'll go with DM2. Looks better. :D I hope it doesn't disappoint me.

Jul 4 - 06:08 PM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

MU2.

Jul 4 - 09:18 AM

Daniel Li

Daniel Li

MU2? Really? It's MU, without a 2.

Jul 22 - 03:21 PM

Bradley T. Johnson

Bradley J

Saw DM2 today and didn't care for it. Had no where near the amount of heart or charm of the original. MU was a better, more enjoyable film in my opinion.

Jul 3 - 08:43 PM

Ethan Tweeter

Ethan Tweeter

haven't seen monsters university.but saw despicable me 2 today.

Jul 3 - 08:19 PM

Avenginator

mike spike

Despicable Me 2 I thought to be better. Both movies had brilliant animation, with Monsters U. having more impressive detail. But in my view, DM2 had more story going for it, more wit, and more suspense. Mike W. in Monsters did a tad too much moping for my taste, and the movie focused too much on "elite frat" v. "losers frat" conflict. As for Gru... well supposed villains who have soft hearts are pretty cool. In the end, maybe the Pixar reputation will be enough to push Monsters U. into the winner's circle.

Jul 3 - 03:01 PM

Christopher Kman

Christopher Kman

I liked both Monsters University and Despicable Me 2

Jul 3 - 02:48 PM

Wendy Myrvold

Wendy Myrvold

Despicable Me 2 was much more enjoyable.

Jul 3 - 09:47 AM

Judy Gordon

Judy Gordon

My grandson who is 7 liked Despicable Me 2 more because it was funny and the minions make me laugh!!

Jul 9 - 09:52 AM

Tonya Ballard

Tonya Ballard

Don't forget there are more animated movies coming out this year. Frozen comes out in November.

Jul 2 - 11:08 PM

Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde

Planes, nigga. Na, I'm just fuckin with yo ass!

Jul 1 - 08:39 PM

Sam

Sam Had

Uh.... Neither? Do I get any other choices? 90% chance MU is going to win the oscar for best animated film anyway, because its Pixar and the academy is made up of a bunch of hacks.

Jun 30 - 09:12 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I was PISSED when Brave won over Wreck-It Ralph last year.

Jul 1 - 11:26 PM

Jess Ung

Jess Ung

Yet again shows how much of a popularity contest that category is...

Jul 2 - 09:46 PM

zooman

Alex Reyes

if it's about popularity, then DM wins this year just as Cars would have won in its year and Brave would have lost last year.

Jul 16 - 10:38 AM

Tonya Ballard

Tonya Ballard

I was too! I disliked Brave and thought Wreck it Ralph deserved it.

Jul 2 - 11:10 PM

zooman

Alex Reyes

I didn't like Brave too much, neither Ralph really, but as a film I feel Brave was superior to the all-for-selling Wreck it Ralph. Disney did a good job building their videogame product, but apart from some subtleties in the main character, the rest are just formulas, the story is plain derivative. The derivative inventiveness of concept is cool enough to earn respect, but I am with the Academy in this one and it is unfair to call them hacks for focusing on craft instead of "cool". So it is not popularity either, Ralph is probably more popular today, I feel Brave is simply the better movie and I think I am not alone. The academy has awarded other really commercial movies instead of Pixar before (Monsters Inc was one of the few that didnt get it, plus many shorts that have been ignored), but in 2012 there simply wasnt a serious contestant.

Also Monsters University had probably no reason to be other than profit, but neither did Despicable Me. However, you can see the love and care they put into MU with a solid storytelling, characters and plot, even if it lacks an inventive style that homages genre (like M INC did) instead of rehashing the university genre like this new one did.

Jul 3 - 12:01 PM

Jessica Ann

Jessica Ann

TOTALLY agree with you here. As a filmmaker and because of being a said filmmaker, a critic as well, you have to look into ALL of the aspects of filmmaking when looking at awards and Brave had it. It had new technology that allowed them to do awesome things (technology WIR also had access too mind you) and they went with it full force. Ralph's animation was good but had less detail. I may be a bit biased because I made friends with the DP of Brave, but looking at what she did and the things she created and then watching Wreck-It-Ralph I was really disappointed in it.

However, with MU vs DM2, I was very impressed with the animation and overall story of MU, but DM2 was better in my opinion. Pixar used to be known for it's adult humor that went over the kids' heads. Now there's no sign of it and the thing I used to enjoy the most is gone, and DM2 had it. I saw them back to back (I got a 3 week advanced screening...filmmaker perks!) and got to critique them pretty close together which is good since they were both fresh in my mind. In all honesty I went to see both of them again with my boyfriend once I got home from LA, but DM2 is something I would go back to the movies for just to enjoy again.

Jul 7 - 12:22 AM

zooman

Alex Reyes

I see your point and is very respectable, but as you mentioned all the aspects of filmmaking I think DM lacks in some important ones, especiallay story and character. I liked the Villain's character in the first one, which seems is only rehashed in this one, without presenting anything new to it? Still, I personally find it really sad that Dreamworks et al. continue using the best selling formulas for their characters. The three girls (just like the girl from Ralph) are basically what decades of movies manufactured for kids have taken as a Child 1, 2, and 3. No more soul to them. I find the Minions unbearable little products that make me lose faith in children's cinema.

Although MU uses specific traits in some characters that have been previously exploited, Pixar fills them with a life of their own, even the small secondary characters seem more complete than the main characters in DM even when they don't have story arcs to make them richer. The dialogue in MU is more complex than just jokes even if deceptively simple. The story is more adult in its simplicity and crafted with more care for its durability. (a bad story doesn't stand strong with time after the initial "wow", it might thanks to jokes and action in some cases though like might be the case with DM2). The jokes in MU are never adult in a way that only adults "should" (arguably) understand them, but you do find jokes as clean clever references to the college experience and college movies that you can't expect kids to understand, yet is always entertaining for children. As for animation, I am sure DM2 is impressive and detailed, but in a way that feels such feat was the product's vision for selling millions. MU's animation, apparently more simple, is a lot riskier and artful. Part of the animation isn't friendly at all, always with a purpose, but never to conform to the what the market would find safe. There are scenes that are just impressive for their simplicity, even if they made me miss a lot of the visual concept of the first Monsters (if not its animation that stales in comparison to anything new). The initial sequences are gorgeous and meaningful. The scenes in the human world are eerie and powerful with a tinge of scary. The visual concept honors the 80's college movies but the overall never conforms to it. DM in general conforms with the power of animation technology and exploits it to the max. MU uses it artfully, even if it doesn't accomplish anything "classic".

Now, I am talking about DM as a franchise, I haven't seen the second one due to how irritable I find the exploitation of minions and little quirky girls. I just don't like to see such a franchise compared to a works that are constructed with such care as the Monsters franchise. But who knows, if I get to see it I might find it a masterpiece (though by the reviews I don't see it elevates much higher than the first).

In the end I still feel MU was unnecessary, they disposed a lot of the power of the first and created a smaller story exploiting a successful set of characters. It can be considered they took a risk not trying to repeat the first one, but I didn't find them completely successful in this. I think they should have honored key aspects of the first other than just the characters and tried to make it something special in its own. (Or better yet, not make it at all.) Still, I do appreciate it as a film and find it better than most of the children's products out there.

Jul 16 - 10:34 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Despicable Me 2. And are you intentionally leaving out the other animated films coming out this year?

Jun 28 - 04:39 AM

David Gilmer

David Gilmer

Possibly. I think that the other animated films may not compare to these. These are the big hitters of the year.

Jul 29 - 10:14 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile