Critics Consensus: Despicable Me 2 is Certified Fresh

Plus, a strong cast can't mask The Lone Ranger's faults.

This week at the movies, we've got an army of minions (Despicable Me 2, with voice work by Steve Carell and Kristen Wiig) and a legendary masked man (The Lone Ranger, starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer). What do the critics have to say?

Despicable Me 2

74%

Those jovial, irrepressible minions are back. Critics say Despicable Me 2 isn't as fresh as its predecessor, but it's goofy, colorful, and often very funny. This time out, erstwhile bad guy Gru (voiced by Steve Carell) is recruited by the Anti-Villain League agent Lucy Wilde (Kristen Wiig) to stop a criminal mastermind. Gru takes a shine to Lucy, and the minions make plenty of mischief. The pundits say the Certified Fresh Despicable Me 2 should delight the kiddies, and though it isn't particularly deep, it's sweet, silly, and energetic.

The Lone Ranger

30%

Bad news, Kemosabe: critics say Gore Verbinski's big-budget adaptation of The Lone Ranger is bombastic, overlong, and altogether misguided, stranding its strong cast in a plot that succumbs to jarring tonal shifts. Tonto (Johnny Depp) narrates the tale of the Lone Ranger (Arnie Hammer), a lawyer-cum-masked vigilante who vows revenge after a murderous psychopath kills his brother; what follows is a series of shootouts and chases against the picturesque backdrop of the old West. The pundits say Depp and Hammer are charming leads, but they're surrounded by a film that can never decide whether it's an action flick, a comedy, or a revisionist drama.

Also opening this week in limited release:

Comments

This comment has been removed.

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Aren't they bloated, purple, dead on a toilet phase yet?

Jul 2 - 06:08 PM

shadypotential

Chris Cox

come on now. let the little girls have their fun.

Jul 2 - 06:43 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Still waiting for that sitcom.

Jul 2 - 07:05 PM

Bradly Martin

actually the BIG 3-D concert is usually the sign that there over. Like with the Jonas Bros, and Miley Cyrus, and Glee. Yeah they are all still around but do you know anyone who still watches Glee? The 3-D concert is the last stage before people move on to something else.

Jul 5 - 02:10 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

People still watch Miley Cyrus and Katie Perry though. Now you've done it!!! You got me to defend teen girlie pop!!! Damn your eyes, you speak poison with two tongues.

Jul 5 - 03:39 PM

Bradly Martin

They are no where near as popular though. The demographic they thrived on is to fickle. We all remember that California Girls are undeniable and how getting blacked out on Friday Night is great...but does anybody know how Katy Perry fell from cloud nine or however that dumb song goes? Does anybody know a Miley Cyrus song? Also I would like to point out that I didn't use Katie Perry in my example.

Jul 5 - 05:06 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yep, but they both had big 3D concert movies, recording artists notoriously go long stretches between albums and seldom reach the heights of their beginnings. When was the last time The Foo Fighters, Chili Peppers or Rolling Stones came out with an album comparable to their early works, does that make rock fans fickle or them irrelevant? Just saying, I don't see the connection as being that clear cut.

Jul 5 - 07:19 PM

Bradly Martin

I don't think Jonas brothers or Miley Cyrus will ever be as relevant as The Rolling Stones..Musically or other wise.

Jul 6 - 11:34 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Support it!
#August30
#ThisIsUs

Jul 2 - 07:05 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

Your name explains it all

Jul 3 - 07:25 AM

Blondie

No Name

It totally does. Be sure to see House of the Dead 3: The Search for More Money!!!

Jul 5 - 03:57 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Are you serious?

Jul 3 - 06:38 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Most interested in "Way Way Back", the Big Star doc, and, well, just about every other limited release before I can muster any interest in the two wide releases.

Jul 2 - 06:08 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Aren't they bloated, purple, dead on a toilet phase yet?

Jul 2 - 06:08 PM

shadypotential

Chris Cox

come on now. let the little girls have their fun.

Jul 2 - 06:43 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Still waiting for that sitcom.

Jul 2 - 07:05 PM

Jul 5 - 02:10 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 5 - 03:39 PM

Jul 5 - 05:06 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 5 - 07:19 PM

Jul 6 - 11:34 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Verbinski needs to go back to making music videos so he's limited to a 3-5 minute running time.

Jul 2 - 06:19 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

I liked Sleepy Hollow. He needs horror films.

Jul 2 - 08:42 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Do you even know what you're saying? What kind of people do you think I would want to work with? What kind of sitcom do you think I want to make? We're not doing Fri. night @ 8:30PM garbage. This is going to be must see TV or nothing. Intellectuals....wait thats for Janson comment shit. For you, fucking retarded inbred dickless morons.....

Jul 2 - 09:25 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Does Sleepy Hollow translate into Janson Jinnistan in sitcom producer language?

Jul 3 - 09:22 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Rango is great. The first Pirates of the Caribbean is good, too, and is a lot of fun overall.

Jul 2 - 10:58 PM

Bradly Martin

I love agreeing with this guy! Rango is Fantastic.

Jul 6 - 11:36 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Wow, glad "Despicable Me" got a decent sequel. Not sure I'll see it in the theater, but I'm looking forward to watching it (just saw the original on TV the other night, it continues to grow on me).

"Lone Ranger"... eh, not super surprised; I've said several times now that I'm tired of Johnny Depp's "odd character" schtick, and his version of the "Tonto" character looks to be nothing more than Jack Sparrow as an Indian; he also appears to completely dominate over the title character. The negative reviews are the final nail in the coffin for me: I'll skip it.

Jul 2 - 06:22 PM

Dave J

Dave J

It's been predicted that the Lone Ranger is going to make between 40 to 50 million on it's first week!

Jul 5 - 03:34 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Also predicted that it's going to end up costing Disney because of its massive production budget. Would have preferred they'd done a smaller more well done production. I read a report on how The Lone Ranger was going to save the Western and all I could think was if this is what the Western needs to save it, maybe we should just let it die and I'm a huge Western fan. Several movies have shown that the Western still has legs since it's first reported death in the 70's. Pale Rider, Silverado, Dances With Wolves, Tombstone, True Grit, Unforgiven, Legends of the Fall, Jeremiah Johnson and Open Range all fantastic westerns made after the death of the western and none of them had the budget or had to stoop to the depths of shame The Lone Ranger tried to. Just make a quality authentic production and there are still enough people with love in their hearts for this genre to make them successful.

Jul 5 - 03:48 PM

Bradly Martin

I argued against the "Lone Ranger is a Bomb" predictions a lot of you have made! I am pretty sure I literally wrote "YOUR WRONG!" or something like that to Esteban Martinez. If its quite all right with all you chaps I've fought tooth and nail at the very idea that Johnny Depp would be in a bomb, I'd appreciate waiting till Monday to eat this Crow.

Jul 6 - 11:38 PM

shadypotential

Chris Cox

come on now. let the little girls have their fun.

Jul 2 - 06:43 PM

shadypotential

Chris Cox

no thanks to all. I'll save my money for Pacific Rim next week.

or i might catch Monsters University. I've been dying to see The Blue Umbrella. people say it looks fantastic.

Jul 2 - 06:44 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Pacific Rim seems like a joke (especially the horrible acting in the trailers I've seen) and I'm an anime fan. But I guess it will at least be better than The Lone Ranger, which I was never interested in but seems way worse than I anticipated.

Jul 2 - 07:22 PM

Ronald Domholdt

Ronald Domholdt

I gotta agree Pacific Rim seems like a rip-off of Gundam and/or Evangelion.

Jul 2 - 11:49 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

It has nothing to do with Gundam or Evangelion. It's about Kaiju films and 70's mecha anime on the vein of Getter Robo and Mazinger.
And Evangelion sucks, by the way.

Jul 3 - 06:41 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Hardly. There's a whole genre of mecha (which has been around way before Evangelion) and Pacific Rim is a homage to that genre.

Jul 3 - 07:05 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Yeah, can't let these rip-offs get in the way of all those original reboots. (I don't remember people talking rip-off when the Transformers movies were out, even though the transforming mecha was taken from the "Macross" anime.)

Jul 3 - 12:33 PM

Manuel Granados Vargas

Manuel Granados Vargas

Yeah, I remember those two pilots in Evangelion or the big and clunky Mecha or when every country had their own and not just New Tokyo. I don't know much about Gundam, except the robots look like cats, which is the exact case with Pacific Rim. And let's not forget Macross/Robotech since we are on the subject, because I'm sure the robots in Pacific Rim eventually will turn into planes.

Jul 4 - 04:02 PM

Bradly Martin

I think Pacific Rim will be a fantastic Summer Blockbuster. Kaiju films are fun! Giant Mecha films are also fun! Gundam has been ripping itself off for over 50 years in Japan. Like what Janson said as well, Macross help start all this. I would love to see an actually good Macross movie!

Jul 5 - 02:13 PM

Jul 3 - 07:25 AM

Blondie

No Name

Jul 5 - 03:57 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Still waiting for that sitcom.

Jul 2 - 07:05 PM

Jul 5 - 02:10 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 5 - 03:39 PM

Jul 5 - 05:06 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 5 - 07:19 PM

Jul 6 - 11:34 PM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

Ill wait for Pacific Rim and Wolverine.

Jul 2 - 07:21 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Jul 2 - 07:22 PM

Ronald Domholdt

Ronald Domholdt

I gotta agree Pacific Rim seems like a rip-off of Gundam and/or Evangelion.

Jul 2 - 11:49 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

And Evangelion sucks, by the way.

Jul 3 - 06:41 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Jul 3 - 07:05 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Jul 3 - 12:33 PM

Manuel Granados Vargas

Manuel Granados Vargas

Jul 4 - 04:02 PM

Jul 5 - 02:13 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

I liked Sleepy Hollow. He needs horror films.

Jul 2 - 08:42 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jul 2 - 09:25 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Does Sleepy Hollow translate into Janson Jinnistan in sitcom producer language?

Jul 3 - 09:22 AM

Dominic Mioni

Dominic Mioni

Not surprised that Lone Ranger opened to poor reviews. I do miss Johnny Depp in more serious roles (for example, as John Dillinger in PUBLIC ENEMIES)really, it's been a disappointing year. Nothing I've seen yet that really wowed me (ahem MAN OF STEEL was a disappointment).

Jul 2 - 08:56 PM

Damian Batista

Damian Batista

Ahem man of steel was not a disappointment it was great and me being superhero fan i think Man of Steel is my 4th favorite superhero movie and Iron Man 3 was a disappointment it had a terrible villian

Jul 2 - 10:29 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Man of Steel was not that good. Last third of the film was like watching a video game while someone else is playing it.

Jul 3 - 06:42 AM

Tanner Baacke

Tanner Baacke

It was a disappointment to him. He's entitled to his own opinion. Like in my opinion Man of Steel was just ok and Iron Man 3 was great.

Jul 3 - 09:04 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I agree with you on Man of Steel being just adequate. Iron Man 3 however, was truly just a string of jokes with uninspired action scenes and a lame ending.

Jul 3 - 12:24 PM

Bradly Martin

Man of Steel was no where near as big a disappointment as Prometheus. I think people just expect perfect films sometimes. I'm really upset about he Lone Ranger being a piece of crap (according to this rating). Despicable Me 2 wasn't as good as the first one? Barf...

Jul 5 - 02:17 PM

Dominic Mioni

Dominic Mioni

Man Of Steel would have been much better if Nolan had more influence. You could tell there was an attempt to make it a more cerebral film, like The Dark Knight trilogy. In the end, it was just silly.

Jul 4 - 08:57 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Haven't seen Man of Steel, and Iron Man 3 was acceptable, nothing more. So far my favorite summer movie has been This is the End.

Jul 3 - 03:30 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Despicable Me 2 looks like a fun movie. I really enjoyed the first. I'll see that as soon as I catch up on Monsters University.

The Lone Ranger never looked like a must-see to me and I figured that it wouldn't get the best reviews from critics but I didn't expect them to this bad. I heard one of the main problems with the film is it's length. I'm also getting tired of Johnny Depp's weird, eccentric characters. I love Captain Jack Sparrow but by the time the third Pirates film came around, I stopped caring for the character. His portrayal of Tonto just looks like a Native American Jack Sparrow. I love Depp and I think he's a great actor but I'd like to him to take a break from playing these kind of roles. I hope we get something different from him in next year's Transcendence.

I can't wait to see Pacific Rim and The Wolverine this month.

Jul 2 - 08:56 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

skipping EVERYTHING THIS WEEK AND NEXT WEEK!!!
too bad

Jul 2 - 09:04 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jul 2 - 09:25 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Does Sleepy Hollow translate into Janson Jinnistan in sitcom producer language?

Jul 3 - 09:22 AM

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>