Box Office Guru Wrapup: Carell & Sandler Sequels Rule Box Office

Summary

Humor was in demand as A-list funnymen Steve Carell and Adam Sandler dominated the box office with their hit sequels Despicable Me 2 and Grown Ups 2, respectively, while the raunchy laughs of The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy also finished among the top four movies for the frame. The big-budget sci-fi actioner Pacific Rim opened in third and helped lead another weekend when ticket sales were substantially ahead of last year's. Back to Article

Comments

I fight for the users

Ian Fastert

Damn those idiots who saw Grown Ups! Damn you!

Jul 14 - 06:10 PM

Rebeccachu Elizabeth C.

Rebecca Clark

I cannot believe it! A disastrous sequel to a terrible 2010 film beat giant robots at the box office?!

Tis is a sad day for us moviegoers. No wonder Hollywood sucks now.

Jul 14 - 11:08 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

PACIFIC RIM IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!

Jul 15 - 12:11 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I'll try to check it out sometime next week!

Jul 15 - 12:41 PM

Dave J

Dave J

A third movie of "Grown Ups" is going to give Sandlers each of his fellow cast mates each of them another car since that's what he does if a film were to do well!

Jul 16 - 11:51 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

I really don't see how Grown Ups 2 beat Pacific Rim at the box office.

As for The Lone Ranger, I doubt that anyone expected it to do well.

Jul 14 - 06:11 PM

Shritan Varma

Shritan Varma

yeah but lone ranger wasnt that bad

Jul 15 - 08:44 AM

David S.

David Stubbs

Saw Pacific Rim. Good film and Michael Bay should call De Toro to learn how to do robots and fight scenes.

Jul 15 - 10:10 AM

are doubleyou

Ken S

"Grown Ups 2 ... skewed 53% female giving that audience a funny and light alternative to the macho action fare."

Macho action fare? Pacific Rim's biggest ass-kicker is a non-sexualized Japanese woman and opens with a shirtless Charlie Hunnam. That essentially makes it the most woman friendly film this year outside the arthouse.

Jul 14 - 06:40 PM

Gary Devenport

Gary Devenport

That and The Heat and The Great Gatsby to a certain extent.

Jul 14 - 06:49 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I was under the impression that Adam Sandler is macho fart humor. Since when has he been "lady-friendly"? was it the third or fourth menstration joke in "That's My Boy"?

Jul 14 - 07:51 PM

kinghongkong

Lacuna Matata

Well put Janson...It's not only a sad world when a Sandler movie beats out a Del Toro movie at the box office, but couple that with the fact that his drivel is considered "lady-friendly" and what the hell does that say about our society as a whole. Is this gender equality? The majority of American women are now as ignorant as their cavemen counterparts?

Jul 15 - 09:10 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Thanks. It's an honor to be confirmed by Monica Bellucci licking honey off her own face ;)

Jul 16 - 12:09 AM

Roman Zolanski

Gaylord Focker

There's something unsettling about a person who's always so pleased with themselves. Especially when they appear to live on a nerdfanboy internet film forum, ugh

Jul 17 - 04:15 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Awww. No Monica lick for you.

Jul 17 - 04:41 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

Saddened by Pacific Rim's box office performance. I absolutely loved it and that's now my favorite film of tye summer so far but sorry it didn't perform well as it could have. I feel the T-Meter and box office grosses should both be a bit higher but oh well.

Jul 14 - 06:48 PM

inka s.

inka s

This makes me want to throw money at GDT. In that case, time for IMAX!

Jul 15 - 02:58 PM

Gary Devenport

Gary Devenport

That and The Heat and The Great Gatsby to a certain extent.

Jul 14 - 06:49 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

How nauseating. Pacific Rim wasn't as good as I'd hoped but still better than these two turds.

Jul 14 - 06:54 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Couldn't get over how boring Charlie Hunum was?
Or how about the ridiculous Sterotypes?
It's like they mined the 80's roster the WWF and threw them in Giant Robots em I right?

Jul 15 - 03:18 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

No, not really.

Jul 15 - 09:07 PM

Overfed Jed

Overfed Jed

My ah chest hair could ah write a better movie MOVIE than ah Grown Ups 2.

Jul 14 - 07:05 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I would watch a film written by Jeff Goldblum's chest hair.

Jul 14 - 07:53 PM

Roman Zolanski

Gaylord Focker

Eww you're utterly gross. Nobody (except you) wants to hear about your faggy fantasies about older men's bodies. Keep it to yourself CHEERs

Jul 17 - 04:18 PM

It Gets Better.

Jul 17 - 05:58 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Fantastic.

Jul 15 - 03:18 PM

Keith Hurson

Keith Hurson

Not terribly surprised by these box office results. Knew Pacific Rim wasn't killing it. I saw it Saturday night, and the theater was half empty. Del Toro just can't bring in the dollars. I really want a Hellboy 3, but I don't think it's going to happen. Let alone At The Mouths Of Madness.

Jul 14 - 07:19 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Mountains of Madness, but I get your point. Disappointed that with all the news of movies he chose to turn down that Pacific Room was the one he chose to make. Hopefully he only did Pacific Rim on the promise he'd get to make some Lovecraft goodness.

Jul 15 - 09:07 PM

Jul 14 - 07:51 PM

kinghongkong

Lacuna Matata

Jul 15 - 09:10 PM

Jul 16 - 12:09 AM

Roman Zolanski

Gaylord Focker

Jul 17 - 04:15 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Awww. No Monica lick for you.

Jul 17 - 04:41 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I would watch a film written by Jeff Goldblum's chest hair.

Jul 14 - 07:53 PM

Roman Zolanski

Gaylord Focker

Jul 17 - 04:18 PM

It Gets Better.

Jul 17 - 05:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm sure that calling "Grown Ups 2" a "family" movie is funnier than any joke in that film. You can go throughout cinema history, and there's never been a time before when "mainstream fare" was defined as "requires no thinking". You're stupid, America. The terrorists won.

Jul 14 - 08:01 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I agree with Janson. Wait, I agree with Janson?

Jul 14 - 08:08 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Hands across Adam Sandler.

Jul 14 - 10:54 PM

Fleming Friis-Jensen

Fleming Friis-Jensen

Jul 15 - 04:58 AM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

Saw Pac Rim Saturday morning---the guy in front of me buying tickets for Grown Ups 2 was wearing a Jeff Dunham concert T. Yes, I'm generalizing.

Jul 15 - 04:15 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Hey. You have to represent.

Jul 16 - 12:12 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I agree with Janson. Wait, I agree with Janson?

Jul 14 - 08:08 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Hands across Adam Sandler.

Jul 14 - 10:54 PM

Ryan Close

Ryan Close

I am sorely disapointed, I loved despicable me 2 but honestly how and why did people think grown ups 2 coulpd possibly be more entertaining then Pacific Rim?!?! Just blows my mind...

Jul 14 - 08:17 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

I agree. Hell, in a worst case scenario, I was expecting people to see Pacific Rim just because of the flashy special effects alone, and that would have been enough to outgross Grown Ups 2.

It's sad that Grown Ups 2 is considered a "family movie", when Del Toro directed Pacific Rim as a family movie. I have not seen Grown Ups 2 but I'm pretty sure that Pacific Rim was for all ages far more than Grown Ups 2.

Jul 14 - 09:11 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Lets not go off here in our rush to rightly eviscerate Adam Sandler and pretend like Pacific Rim was anything special as a movie itself.

Jul 15 - 09:09 PM

Pretend?

Jul 16 - 12:10 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I saw Pacific Rim and was very disappointed by it. It's a fine big dumb monster movie, but it's still a big dumb monster movie filled with all the cliche's and wooden performances that entails. The one exception was Rinko Kikuchi and Idris Elba. I think the praise we're heaping on Pacific Rim is as much a sign of how much our standards have dipped in the geek world as the money shelled out for GU2 is a sign of how far general audiences have fallen.

Jul 16 - 09:05 PM

Dave J

Dave J

"Pacific Rim" was supposed to be inspired by the old "Godzilla" and "Ultra Man" movies! Of course, you were disappointed since foreign movies was never your thing anyway!

Jul 17 - 01:39 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Actually Dave J, I really like old Godzilla movies and am a big fan of British cinema as well. Maybe I just expected too much from Del Toro, but Pacific Rim for me anyway is no where near as good as obviously Pan's labyrinth or the Hellboy movies, I think it's even a step back from Blade II which was my least favorite movie of his to date.

Jul 17 - 08:24 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Cut it out, BB. Worse than "Blade 2"? "Rim" doesn't have a lot of subtext and stuff, but it's the first major 3D FX extravaganza that didn't feel insulting. It's miles ahead of the Transformers films, or the Marvel films, or the recent Star Trek or Superman films. The script is at least par with the best of those, and visually it's far more awesome than any of them. It put the climax of "Avengers" to shame. After all these years of "what more do you want?" excuses for these brainless, disposable entertainments, we finally got one that truly thrills, and NOW people decide - out of the f'cking BLUE - that they want more than fun FX films? Piss on Whedon for me.

Jul 18 - 03:50 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

There's was a couple of funny bits in Grown Ups 2, not anything special but the jokes directed at the older audience definitely were enjoyable. The first was still better mainly because it had a more focused plot... was more like sitcom this time around.

Pacific Rim was Transformers on steroids, definitely worth an admission ticket and right now should be a front runner for the Oscars visual award. I'll welcome a sequel if Del Torro agrees to come on for director. Here's hoping for strong legs!

Jul 14 - 08:56 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Alberto saw Grown Ups 2! Alberto saw Grown Ups 2! There he is! Alberto saw Grown Ups 2!

Jul 15 - 07:28 AM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

Jul 14 - 09:11 PM

bribios

brian wilson

In other news, Happy Madison has aquired to movie rights to "Ow, My Balls!", the satirical pop culture phenomenon featured in "Idiocracy". Though there aren't a lot of details at this point, a press statement from Happy Madison is promising the movie adaptation will feature a ten minute semen gag filmed as a one shot, along with a scene where Kevin James gets teabagged by Ed Asner for some reason.

As of press time, America shrugged its shoulders and said "Eh, whatever, I'll probably see it. Not every movie has to be an Oscar winner, sometimes you just want to watch something stupid that makes you laugh.". America then stared off at it's own feet, trying not to think about how miserable life is if watching a grown man get pissed on by a deer ends up being the comedic highlight of the year.

Jul 14 - 09:46 PM

Rudi Hoehn

Rudi Hoehn

Can the smart people of the world all agree to see Pacific Rim three times, to make up for the IDIOTS who aren't interested in good movies?

Jul 14 - 10:04 PM

Vince Averello

Vince Averello

I'm up to two showings. Will probably do a third later this week

Jul 15 - 06:03 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Just because Pacific Rim is better and smarter than Grown Ups 2 doesn't mean it was good or smart. It had plenty of its own flaws.

Jul 15 - 09:11 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Not being fun wasn't one of them.

Jul 16 - 12:10 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I'm a little surprised J, Did we enter Bizarro-world here? You being satisfied with a dumb fun movie and me advocating for more art and craft?

Jul 16 - 09:06 PM

Janson Jinnistan

The beautifully executed FX of "Rim" had plenty of art and craft to it. I also praised ILM for their FX on the Transformers films, but Bay didn't have half a clue what to do with those gifts.

Jul 18 - 03:52 PM

Alex Yohai

Alex Yohai

What makes Pacific Rim a "fanboy" film? It's not based on any previously existing property, at least not directly... is "fanboy" just supposed to mean "sci-fi" now?

Jul 14 - 10:38 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Funny how this limited "fanboy" demographic didn't limit the appeal of "Star Trek" or "Man of Steel", even though neither of those films had as strong a female protagonist as Rinko Kikuchi.

Jul 14 - 10:56 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Because those films actually tried to market themselves outside fanboys (and that was nothing compared to the marketing of the 2009 Star Trek which went out of its way to tell people that it wasn't a film for Trekkies only, even using the tagline "Not you Daddy's Star Trek") Pacific Rim made the same mistake as Sucker Punch in that it was marketed entirely to a demographic that was already sold on the film, which is not something you do for a 200 mil budgeted film. You need to have wide appeal across the border (e.g., aside from Nolan's name being a big draw, Inception had big budget spectacle for young males, Leonardo Dicaprio as a major selling point for females not to mention an emotional hook to the film of the main character trying to get back to his kids, plus the promise of a complex plot to draw in an older more mature audience that normally wasn't into typical summer blockbusters.)

And yeah, Rinko Kikuchi should have been a huge selling point for females, if the trailers had given her screen time. And yet up until a week ago none of the trailers gave any focus on the human characters. By comparison, the first Transformers focused a lot in its marketing on the relatable aspect of a boy getting his first car, while also promising some classic Spielberg moments (e.g., the main character gazing up in awe.)

Jul 15 - 12:34 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

King Simbe, with the Post of the Day! Cheers mate.

Jul 15 - 07:32 AM

Janson Jinnistan

You're still ignoring that the marketing for this film was done by Warners, who were in a contract dispute with Legendary at the time. No doubt this played a role in Legendary leaving for Universal instead. Warners are idiots for giving up a production company that has provided them with billions of dollars in revenue.

None of this excuses the fact that, given the marketing, people could actually feel as if Sandler had produced a film that was worth their money more than "Rim". The Cinemascore speaks for itself. The mediocre B was the judgement of people who actually chose to pay to see the movie - not critics. These rats can't find the cheese by going down the same tunnel every time.

Jul 15 - 10:01 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I disagree completely. Faora-Ul was just as bad ass an awesome as Mako. Uhura is SUPPOSE to be an independent empowered female character, I'm not sure why "My boyfriend doesn't love me!" was her character in the film but she still managed to have some moments outside of that, briefly. Amy Adams as Lois Lane was very much....empo...eh.....COME ON MAN ask anyone! Faora-Ul Was BAD ASS!

Jul 15 - 03:25 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Heroine and villain are very different things.

Jul 15 - 03:58 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Agreed

Jul 16 - 04:34 PM

Roman Zolanski

Gaylord Focker

Jason McJinniafgahnistan honestly clearly has no life whatsoever outside of gayboy fantasies about older actors and spamming his pleased-as-punch pseudo phil101 film101 inanities everywhere on this nerdgeekfanboy forum so , frankly, creepy. Just give it a rest mate just for a while. You can comment once or twice max per topic but 50 times? And lace it with homo jibes? Sad

Jul 17 - 04:22 PM

Janson Jinnistan

You're like that shy kid in the 6th grade who thinks that insulting the pretty girl will get her to notice you.

Jul 18 - 03:54 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer