Despicable Me 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Despicable Me 2 Reviews

September 19, 2015
Just like the first movie, I found this to be okay family fare, but not interesting enough to really get into it. The girls are still incredibly cute, the minions are silly (and a bit stupid if you ask me), and Gru is no longer a villain due to his love of the girls. The story is merely fluff to showcase the girls and the minions. Eh.
September 16, 2015
It might be reasonable to approach "Despicable Me 2" with a sense of trepidation. The original 2010 film was a sort-of enjoyable animated romp that wasn't exactly screaming for a sequel. That film, about the misadventures of a supervillain named Gru whose attempts to steal the moon were thwarted when he adopted three adorable orphan girls, was a cute but admittedly lackluster animated comedy. The sequel is a nice surprise. It's better. It opens up the idea and introduces a few new characters who give this (now) series a much-needed boost.

This time Gru (still voiced by Steve Carell) has given up his life of evil deeds (thereby negating the title) and opened his own business making jams and jellies. He's also a full-time dad. As the movie opens, he's suffering two hardships that every parent must eventually endure: First, the fairy princess that he hired won't show up for the kid's birthday party. Second, the oldest girl is beginning to take a healthy interest in boys.

Gru's kids, it can be happily reported, are only a sideline in this sequel. The main plot involves Gru being called upon by the Anti-Villain League to help to figure out why an Arctic Research Station was pulled off its foundation and has gone missing. Gru thinks that the villain might be the nefarious El Macho (voiced by Benjamin Bratt), a Mexican villain who is so tough that he once jumped out of the back of a plane while riding a shark strapped with dynamite. This has to be seen to be believed.

The plot is a lot of fun mainly because the writers have decided this time around to stick heavily to the gags and pull back on the emotional stuff. They've also given a lot room in the plot Gru's little yellow minions, whose babbling speech and funny dress-ups have become so popular that they are getting their own origin story called "Minions" next Christmas.

The minions are cute, but the most joyous element to "Despicable Me 2" is the presence of AVL agent Lucy Wilde, a high-energy, skinny redhead whose bright personality gives this movie its legs. Voiced by Kristen Wiig and looking a little big like Carol Burnett, Lucy is so much fun, she could have a movie of her own. Yes, a romance develops between she and Gru, but it there isn't a predictable straight-line to get there.

The movie has individual moments that not just amusing, but very funny and inventive. The best is a date that Gru is force on with a dimwitted neighbor. What comes of the date won't be spoiled here, sufficed to stay it is the stuff of great slapstick.

The sequel works better than the original simply because the energy level has been cranked up. Animated comedies these days lose their comic fortitude by getting too sappy and dreary. This has been the downfall of "Megamind," "ParaNorman," and the Ice Age sequels; all of which got so emotional that they forgot the laughs. "Despicable Me 2" never loses its comic zeal. Even the love story has a certain momentum. Let's put it this way: A meet-cute here involves Lucy trying to stuff an unconscious Gru into her trunk. This is funny stuff.
½ September 10, 2015
Making an animated film sequel that appeals to both kids and adults is not easy. Universal does it here. The kind of film that Disney always seems to get credit for but never seems to pull off at this level.
August 31, 2015
This franchise is a joke
July 5, 2013
Despicable Me 2 shows us that an animated sequel is not always a disaster. With the release of Monsters University, this movie had something to compete with. But I can gladly say that Despicable Me 2 succeeds in both heart and comedy. I do think that the minions often made this movie worthwhile, while the introduction of Gru's new love life sparked some interest. All together, this animated sequel is a comedic family movie that dishes out both heart and comedy. Also, I must say that the portrayal of the antagonist, El Macho, was simply genius.
August 16, 2015
Charming. Inventive and just simply fun.
½ August 13, 2015
While not quite as good as the first go-around, Despicable Me 2 still serves up quality laughs and perfect voice casting choices.
½ August 12, 2015
It's unevenly structured and much of the artwork is way too unrelated, random all just to pander to Minions' hyper attitudes, Mexican culture stereotypes, and the 3 girls don't really contribute to the story as well as they did in the 1st movie.
August 10, 2015
Am I the only one that didn't like this film at all, none of the gags were funny, none of the quotes were either and Gru is just simply an unlikable character, not once throughout the film was I rooting for him and the three girls aren't funny either. Kristen wiig brought some humour with her character and the minions by no surprise were pretty funny but this movie is simply for kids and as an adult I got nothing out of it like I Would a Pixar or Dreamworks film, so overall this film is a disappointment and a major step down from the first film,
August 5, 2015
DM2 is an uneven sequel that nonetheless provides the series with a little more storytelling focus and energetic comic moments that were previously lacking. A clear, if slight, improvement over the original.
½ December 12, 2013
After the success of its predecessor, Despicable Me 2 serves as a huge let down
December 15, 2013
Too much Minion-centric for its own good.I can't say I enjoyed it that much.For me Agnes and her relationship with Gru is the best part of the story but it really disappears in all this Minion Madness.A forgettable movie,only being able to watch it once.
½ July 24, 2015
To turn good minions into bad minions & back again all you need is the right formula.
July 19, 2015
Another film that is good.
½ July 18, 2015
Rating: 93%
With the talented cast returning with a few new additions, Despicable Me 2 builds significantly from its predecessor.
January 1, 2014
I know I will see it sometime, but I hold a special hatred in my heart for any film that looks at its predecessor and goes "Aw, what an unusual family. You know what this single-dad family needs? A love interest so it's a nice, 'normal', all-american family."

No thanks.

____

EDIT: Now that I've seen the darn thing, my opinion has only lowered. While the minions proved to be dependable, everything else is far inferior to the original. The humor and pathos is gone, replaced by slight sexism and racism. Although that said, I did like Lucy quite a bit, finding her to have a good design and voice acting, as well as finding El Macho to be the best part of the movie (that death scene. So much the kewl. Tres wow.).

My former opinion still stands, however. Was it so wrong to have a single-father family?

Long live the nuclear dream.
½ July 13, 2015
Great sequel to the first movie. Still funny, cute and a good watch.
½ July 12, 2015
Nothing noteworthy. I'm not sure there was a plot to this movie; it seemed to be just a string of lackluster scenes. It tries to have some of the favorite moments of the first movie, but honestly you're better off just rewatching the original.
½ July 9, 2015
After the surprise hit that "Despicable Me" was, it was a matter of time for Illumination Entertainment to make an unnecessary sequel of this colorful world. While it was a colossal box office hit and a somewhat critical hit, if you have read my review of the first movie, you know that I didn't necessary like its predecessor. Is this sequel better than the original?
After the events of "Despicable Me", Gru is now learning how to be a good father. Eventually he is contacted by the "Anti Villain League" in order to stop an unknown enemy who threatens the safety of the world.
With some much room for improvement, you will think that Illumination would try to correct the mistakes of their feature length debut but unfortunately (thanks to the pop culture) they decided to go the other way and not only repeat those mistakes but make them bigger. "Despicable Me 2" has cliché and predictable premise, the colorful world is so overstuffed, the new characters are nothing more than one dimensional cartons who lack a good design, it lacks style as it only tries too hard to recapture what made its predecessor a hit, the decision of giving the minions more screen time and ultimately making the whole story about them is just absurd and a blatantly desperate move from the studio, a forgettable villain, it lacks any emotional impact (at least the last film had that "Gru needs to connect with these girls" storyline, here is just a laughable love story and a throwaway "arc" for two of the girls), the Looney Toons comedy is taken to a point of becoming embarrassing, it also only targets the younger audience and leaves nothing for adults, the entertaining value is extraordinarily weak, and this sequel doesn't even try to make a dramatic story, it is only an over the top slapstick comedy that won't stop throwing minion humor every 5 minutes (I get it, minions are cute but please, they are so unnecessarily overused).
"Despicable Me 2" is another forgettable animated sequel. It embraces the flaws of its predecessor and makes them bigger in addition of a never-ending minion humor, this is ultimately a movie about them, Gru and the three likeable girls are lost along the way. If you liked the last film, you will undeniably love this sequel but if you though "Despicable Me" was an average animated film (like I did) then you should be warned that this sequel is inferior.
September 7, 2013
Gru knows how to make you chuckle. I'm not saying the writers and directors didn't help, but Steve Carell owns this film. The Minions are pretty great too.