Destroy All Monsters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Destroy All Monsters Reviews

March 15, 2013
Destroy all Monster is a much needed improvement over the awful Son of Godzilla. This a fine return to the traditional elements of what you can expect from a standard Godzilla picture and though lacking in effective plot, it still boasts some great entertainment value that will certainly delight fans of the series. The plot could certainly have used a rewrite, and it never really does take off, but it is a back to basics movie that isn't silly like Son of Godzilla. Destroy All Monsters is quite entertaining from start to finish. The film has lots of monster action and is what makes it a fun movie that make Son of Godzilla forgettable movie. Don't expect anything great however, as like every other film in the series has its flaws, and it is clear that the filmmakers are struggling to keep the ideas fresh and thrilling. Like I've said in many of my other reviews, there is only so far you can go with this formula, and it is predictable, yet at the same is mindless entertainment value that won't disappoint due to the fact that you know what you want in a Godzilla film, and that's various monsters battling it out with Godzilla. In terms of action and thrills, this has got to be one of the better films that combine various creatures. The plot is basic, predictable, but it's the traditional Godzilla formula that you enjoy. Although not a great movie, this is good for what it is, and it wipes the slate clean with a familiar idea. This one should make fans happy, and is fun despite its flaws.
½ October 9, 2010
Love Godzilla, love other monsters, love aliens, love destruction, love this movie.Destroy All Monsters takes us into the future where all monsters are now confined to Monster Island. All goes well until a race of alien metal people kidnap the monsters. Then, they brainwash them and set them to attack the major cities of the world. After so many Godzilla island adventures, it was so good to see the cities having their asses whooped. Great designs and model work left for a series of inventive attacks. By the end it all descends into a chaotic (and very unfair) fight. However, their were some genuine moments of panic. There was a moment between Anguilas and King Ghiddorah which left me almost covering my eyes. The sheer intensity, and likable monsters made it an engaging affair. We're left to deliberate how creatures instinctively know who their enemies are. This is a greatest hits for all fans of the genre.
June 14, 2010
This film was in the 42nd Street Volume 1 Trailer Collection, When TOHO ran out of ideas with Godzilla, and our other famous Japanese monsters they combined them in a few movies, this is one of them. A group of people from outer space and on the moon are controlling the monsters. The West was far ahead of there time in this movie with blue lasers, implants to control people. A good Saturday afternoon film. 3 stars.
½ May 24, 2010
Aliens take over the minds of the residents of Monster Island---Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and pals---and send them out to destroy the cities of the world. Crazy giant monster derby with non-stop action; anyone who isn't just a little charmed by men in rubber suits knocking over plywood skyscrapers doesn't have an ounce of kid left in them.
January 17, 2008
Godziilla's having a party and everyone's invited. My favourite Godzilla flick as a kid, this one has all the monsters being controlled by aliens. Heaven.
½ April 5, 2014
Destroy All Monsters(1968)
Directed By:Ishiro Honda
My Review
I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this one too much,cause all of the other Godzilla films I've seen recently were disappointing to me. But then I put in my DVD for this one and from start to finish it felt like a fun nice, family monster movie. Just a little disappointing with all of the human scenes that are not so interesting which is what killed it for me in the films I saw before this one.
When the film started it opened up nicely,you get a narration of the time and setting,are informed of the monsters location and just which monsters are there. It was pretty cool seeing all those Kaiju on screen. The monsters that appear in the film(some of which are cameos)are Godzilla (and son), Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah... and even tosses in Anzilla, Baragon, Goro, Wendra, Spiga,Varan,and Kumonga-the spider. Their is a race of evil aliens known as Kilaaks,who are controlling the monsters and send Godzilla to New York whichj looked cool. I couldn't remember who they sent for the other monsters.
I enjoyed seeing all the monsters whenever they would go to a destination and wreck the place. The suits do always look cool in these Kaiju movies.I'm not one for their soundtracks though just the original Godzilla theme. Everyone's favorite highlight of the film is when the monsters are finally freed of their control but the Kilaaks send Ghidra the three headed monster from outer space, but all of the monsters use their special attacks,it was loads of fun. I give Destroy All Monsters a three and a half out of five.
½ November 26, 2007
The usual men in Godzilla outfits but dammit, it's entertaining which counts for something...the only problem is that it counts more as satire than it does quality filmmaking...the Japanese may love Godzilla but the movies honestly are 3rd rate in every sense of the term.
½ November 23, 2007
Although the film has slow human drama, the sheer number of monsters and destruction makes this almost a holy grail. Almost.
June 15, 2007
My favorite of the Showa-era Godzilla film. Great score, great monster selection (well, it's everyone :D), great miniatures, great mayhem, great aliens.
April 19, 2007
Anytime I see the flick it brings me back to when I was a kid. One of the few things from my childhood that hold up
March 10, 2007
This was a headliner at an all day Godzilla Fest at the Metro when I was a young'en! One dollars ate a burger, had a coke and 5 movies ....
February 11, 2007
More monsters onscreen and kicking ass than just about any other movie EVER!!! Who cares if the story is a tad dry at times, for all out monster action, this is still the one to beat.
½ January 25, 2007
heh, it's godzilla! Run! I always had a soft spot for the japanese godzilla movies. The "hollywood" version is just crap.
August 5, 2015
Like the first film, this is a timeless classic and is very entertaining.
½ August 13, 2014
The limited screen time the monsters share make this hardly the all out monster mash it advertised itself as. Still with so many monsters appearing and a fun if goofy sci-fi plot the movie has its charms for fans of giant monsters and I'm one who hopes that the new Godzilla series gives it a modern remake. At the very least its a definite improvement over its last 4 predecessors and one that holds up best today despite its obviously dated as can be effects
½ July 28, 2014
The humans get the most attention, which sucks, but that final monster fight near the end makes it all worth it.
½ July 16, 2014
One of my favorite Godzilla films! Almost all of the famous Toho monsters come together to fight King Ghidorah, and it's epic! The special effects are great, and the acting is pretty good. The final battle is epic. This was origially supposed to be the finale, and if it had been, it would have been a great way to go out!
April 1, 2014
The intended epic finale of Godzilla is not as...well, epic as it should have been, and even has its false advertisement at hand (not ALL the monsters shown on posters and trailers actually fight), but this was a huge relief for me, after many miss Godzilla movies that never reached any expectation. Destroy All Monsters puts many monsters to fight King the last 20 minutes, but it sure worths it, after going through some uncaring human story reaching aliens.

And that's the main problem with Destroy All Monsters: it's mostly the humans trying to reach the aliens in order to take control of all the monsters running loose. While it's not bad, it surely is disappointing. This was, as previously mentioned, supposed to be the final Godzilla film, and for such film, one would expect more of Godzilla in it, but the film gives us not as much as we could hope. However, all the fails are forgiven thanks to the big match at the end, which one can simply skip right into it and avoid the non-Godzilla story.

Destroy All Monsters is either one of the best Godzilla films or simply one of the good ones, without many responsibilities in characters or story. Even after many films, the first one (Gojira) is still the best. I can safely say, Destroy All Monsters is pretty good, entertaining and kinda satisfying. Check it out, but you may want to jump right into the final fight to avoid any issues.
April 17, 2014
The rating would be higher if it focused less on the human element, and more on the Monsters