Destry Rides Again Reviews

garyX
November 5, 2006
When the sheriff of a corrupt frontier town is murdered and replaced with the town drunk, the man calls on the services of the son of a legendary law man only to find that he is a pacifist. James Stewart is at his very best for this, one of his defining roles. His easy going charm and integrity are a perfect foil for Marlene Dietrich's feisty music hall girl (so brilliantly parodied by Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles) and they have fantastic chemistry together; the cat-fight scene is pure comedy gold. Essentially a story about standing by your principles no matter what the provocation, all the characters are impossible to dislike with some great comic relief provided by a quality supporting cast. Consistently funny with a timeless story of a hero who refuses to resort to violence in the face of adversity, this is one of my all time favourites and a true classic from the golden age.
½ September 18, 2007
This is a fun movie! Frenchy (a strange character name) played by Marlene Dietrich is the inspiration for Madeline Kahn's Lili Von Shtupp. Destry is another great creation by Jimmy Stewart. There are plenty of slapstick bits from the barroom brawls and the supporting characters and heaps of wisecracks from Destry, who would rather reason his way out of a fight than shoot his way out.
½ October 31, 2009
Until recently, I assumed this was just the usual old-fashioned Western. Didn't realize it was funnier than the norm nor, more importantly, just how much "Blazing Saddles" owes to this story (the new sheriff who thwarts the enemy in non-violent ways, the vampy German saloon singer, the drunken sidekick with past glories...). That said, "Destry" wasn't quite as much of a comedy as I hoped, though the recurrent "I knew a guy" gag is wonderfully droll. And Marlene Dietrich is lots of fun to watch -- she's obviously having a ball with her role.
October 20, 2011
Pretty solid and fun (if strange) western. I still don't find Marlene Dietrich attractive, she looks like an old lady, and I wish her role was cast differently. There's some slightly funny bits, and the overall atmosphere of the movie is fun and lightweight. Stewart is very good like usual. Some solid character actor moments as well.
½ September 13, 2009
I wasn't a big fan of this. It reminded me a bit too much of "Blazing Saddles"--with Marlene Dietrich's character--so that might have ruined it for me. It might require a re-watching when I'm more in the mood to handle it.
December 22, 2011
a solid western. a classic story of a peaceful but savvy lawman brought in to clean up a town full of shady dealings and corruption. throw in some standby characters like the femme fatale showgirl, the lovable town drunk, and a sly villain with a gang of thugs and you've got yourself a movie. Stewart and Dietrich are terrific, as are the rest of the cast. the writing is sharp and the story's always entertaining. the band of women storming in to break up their men gunfighting is particularly amusing. overall a fun classic.
February 24, 2011
He doesn't like guns but he knows how to use them. Loads of characters and stereotypes, this is a morality play. Very good Western. If there's a "Rewatchability Index" somewhere, this title will be on it.
May 10, 2008
James Stewart stars as the son of a famed law man Tom Destry who happens not to like violence as the answer to every situation. Stewart is gives one of my favorite performances of his, my favorite of him in a western setting and Marlene Dietrich, in a career reviving role, is stunning and funny. Brian Donlevy plays the bad guy and does it with his usual great smugness. This is a good western which I recommend if you can find it.
July 9, 2007
One of my favorite westerns cause the good guy doesn't use guns, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how.
June 29, 2015
Jimmy Stewart seems an odd match for Marlene Dietrich (although apparently they had an affair in real life); the two stars bring their well-known personas to the American West, contrasting comically with the usual genre trappings. He's the new deputy sheriff, full of droll winking stories about people he knows and their experiences that taught him lessons. She's the tough saloon singer who is also involved in a poker game swindle organized by town "boss" Brian Donlevy (who would play similar roles in the noir context later). The film, under George Marshall's even-handed direction, bookends the action with both prologue and coda, showing the town of Bottleneck before Stewart arrived and then after he's cleaned it up (with his pacifist law-abiding ways). Despite all of its eccentricities (Mischa Auer as a Russian cowboy, Charles Winninger as the bumbling banjo-playing sheriff) - or perhaps because of them -- the film works. If you close one eye, it's a Dietrich picture; close the other and it's Stewart's.
April 23, 2014
My Favorite Western Film Is 1956's The Searchers.
May 31, 2013
Right from the long opening scene in the saloon, we are treated to hilarious madcap jokes that come thick and fast and memorable characters, all before Destry (Stewart) comes to town to face off against Brian Donlevy's crooked Kent. When he does, things get even funnier and despite a somewhat typical and cliched plot, it is really exciting. Destry Rides Again is one of the great Westerns with a sprinkling of comedic genius as a bonus.
May 30, 2013
One of the great Westerns, and also a fantastic comedy with a brilliant and and loveable performance from James Stewart as a pacifistic peacekeeper.
April 3, 2013
Dietrich & Stewart... what else do you need to know?
December 21, 2012
One of the best western film about heroism. James Stewart is great in this.
November 30, 2012
Amazing! Just watched it in a theater (Brattle St)! If you like Jimmy Stewart, see it!
½ July 3, 2012
I'd never seen it before and was surprised and how really funny it was. Very enjoyable film that had an influence on many future comic westerns: Support Your Local Sheriff, Blazing Saddles, etc. (and I finally get many of the Dietrich references in Blazing Saddles) "See what the boys in the backroom will have, and tell them I'm having the same"
½ June 15, 2012
james stewart is always a lot of fun to watch, and "destry rides again" is no exception. the film does a good job of throwing random humor at you when you least expect it, and stays entertaining til the end.
½ April 1, 2012
This is a very entertaining movie.