Detention Reviews

½ September 20, 2014
i'm not entirely sure what this film means. i'm not entirely sure of what it's making fun of or parodying. i watched it twice in one week and i'm thankful for it. on first watch, it felt out of control, but good. on second watch, it was nearly perfect. this kind of unrestrained ambition is pretty uncommon, i daresay. quite reminiscent of spring breakers. i usually hate name-dropping, but it didn't bug me at all here, and i don't know why/that's super inconsistent for me. love you, detention.
½ September 17, 2014
This is such a clever movie, chock full of jokes and references to everything high school related. The first five minutes feels like an awful big budget youtube video, but once I realized the entire movie was intentionally written to be like this, I liked it. This is definately one of those movies that could easily fall through the cracks and be mistaken for the hundreds of crappy high school horror movies, but I don't know. This one was special. Maybe it was the 90s references that made me feel nostalgic, and the constant tongue in cheek attitude from all the characters. This movie would've been awful if the jokes were written with more intent on serving punchlines, and being memorable. This was just rapid fire jokes built on other jokes that was too clever to pass up and dismiss as stupid.
I liked the fast pace of the dialogue and action, it was evident the filmmakers were serving to an ADD audience, and I found that hilarious. The meta-ness was an added bonus, with the constant breaking the 4th wall, sarcastic explanations of norms and overused cliches and stereotypes. It was like watching an in depth guidebook of tired cliches of horror movies, and annoying high school stereotypes, and damn, they did it really well. It could have easily come off as obnoxious and desperate for laughs, but it was done very effectively here.
If people for whatever think this movie is too stupid or pointless, then they either aren't horror comedy fans anyway that appreciate the way they're made and riffed on, or have an already pre-made bias against high school movies and think they're more mature.
Josh Hutcherson was refreshing in his dorky cool role as Clapton, and not Angie Harmon( Shanley Casell) who played the main character Riley was also a hoot. I liked that she wan't the typical pretty face that people just hated because the writer made it so, she had viable reasons for being weird and disliked. Dane Cook could've been better but he was ok as the loser principal with a chip on his shoulder. I was hoping a more zany loud mouthed Dane Cook, but I guess he was ok. Spencer Locke is fast becoming a formidable actress, and she was very entertaining to watch, playing two characters in this one.
The best way to describe the movie is its the story of "The Breakfast Club" in the comedic style(actually funny) "Not another teen movie" and ultimately mixed with the meta-ness and horror elements of "Scream."
This movie also has a seriously high rewatchability factor. Too bad most people will miss out on this but, hey, maybe it should stay under-appreciated because that's what adds to its charm and quality.
September 14, 2014
Take Scott Pilgrim, mash it with John Hughes films, add some Donnie Darko and Scream and you get...a mess. I've never seen a film try to be so many things at once and failing at all of them. I kinda want to snap my fingers at the director and yell, "focus!"
September 14, 2014
Does it try too hard? It definitely does. Is it entertaining? You bet.
A hyper stylized film that's as pretty to watch as it is fun. Director/writer Joseph Kahn tries to shove in as much content as possible, and that's okay with me.
September 12, 2014
Excelente flick pa disfrutar. Nada serio, bien movido. Jugoso a cagar.
½ September 6, 2014
*Sighs*...where do I even begin with this movie? First things first, this movie doesn't get the rating it did for lack of effort. If there is one thing I can say about it is that it certainly isn't lazy, which is a trap that a lot of horror movies fall into as there's simply not enough originality and creativity making its way into the mainstream horror picture. The irony of it is that I've seen lazy films that are better than this, a film with far more creativity and inventiveness, as far as style and wackiness. There is a bit of a problem, however. There's so much schtick and pop culture references in this movie that I, minutes after having FINISHED the movie, no joke, couldn't remember about 90% of it. That is a huge problem, in my opinion. There are lazy films that are forgettable because they don't really offer anything fresh, but this movie is forgettable because there's simply so much shit in it that it would be absolutely impossible to remember it all. If you've watched a Family Guy, or Robot Chicken, episode then you know what I am talking about. Family Guy, in particular, goes overboard with the pop culture references and cutaways. This is like the horror version of that. And like later Family Guy episodes, the first three seasons are genius, there are far more misses than hits. I have to commend the film for doing absolutely everything that was humanly possible in order to get a laugh out of you, but, for the most part, this film is incredibly unfunny. There's a couple of zingers here and there. My favorite one would have to be when Riley has her tit exposed at the party, she's called into the principal's office to be chastised by the principal and some teachers. She asked if the video was uploaded to YouTube and the coach immediately retorts back with 'National Zoology.' That one got a very hearty laugh out of me. There were others, but most of those were modest chuckles instead of a laugh-out-loud moment. The coolest scene would have to be Elliot's scene and how flashes back through all the different years and what each trend was during those particular years. There's like 3 movies' worth of content in here, so you can imagine how crammed it feels. Even if all this material was spread out throughout 3 films, it wouldn't be good because it's just not that good. The only thing that would help is the fact that you could take each individual script and improve upon it rather than trying to cram everything, when it doesn't fit, into one package. I also hated the structure, the narrative is absolutely terrible, just terrible. That's not to say there was meant to be one, but they certainly tried to make it all fit together in as poorly-constructed way as is possible. The film is, basically, a random and senseless series of skits. Imagine if a third-tier Monty Python ripoff made a horror movie and this is what you'd get. I realize that comes across as an insult, and it probably is when you think about it, but like I said, I have to commend the film for at least trying something wacky and nuts. The fact that almost every joke misses rather than hits is just a consequence of not really having good quality control. The film is all over the place stylistically and tonally, so that's a problem as well. It's a sci-fi, time travel, horror, comedy, romance, surrealist movie. And I think that only scratches the surface of what the movie tries to be. The fact that it's all over the place might endear it to some people, and that's fine, I don't begrudge anyone for finding something to like about this movie, but boy, it sure took the life out of the film. For me at least. This isn't the worst horror film I've ever seen, because the worst horror films usually don't have this much effort put into them. The problem, as mentioned, is the fact that there's simply too much schtick, and pop culture references, to remember by the end of the film and the fact that there's 5 bad jokes to every good one. Because of that, the film gets the rating it did. I'd definitely recommend it since it is something different in the genre, and we need creativity in horror, and I think this is a film that will definitely cause a reaction out of people. But, for my money, I definitely did not like it at all, give me Cabin in the Woods any day of the week.
September 6, 2014
How to describe this off the wall horror comedy? Think Scream+ Breakfast Club with body switching/UFO's and time travel ! The dialogue is Diablo Cody-esque and the visuals are unique. There's also plenty of 90's pop culture references to savor.The comic book style opening credits(done ala Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World) were a nice touch. A must watch.
July 9, 2012
This movie is pure campy fun up until time traveling was involved
½ August 12, 2014
Weird, goofy, funny and intelligently made. Not for everyone. It's a mix between Donnie Darko, Scream and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. A real acquired taste.
August 9, 2014
Probably one of the better satirical movies I've seen. It has a A.D.D. kind of film style to it, almost like a constant advertisement.
August 5, 2014
It's not even a remotely honed craft that director Joseph Kahn showcases here, but he impressed me enough by simply not caring. It's pretentious, silly, and in your face every second, but I can't deny that I had fun. "Detention" is - although sloppy and frequently too hyper-edited for its own good - a unique blend of audacious visual style, hit-and-miss but also creative criticisms of genre tropes, and amusing generational satire.
August 4, 2014
Way to clever for a B movie film. It muddled itself up. It also wasnt sure what it actually wanted to be - zany 80s comedy or slasher horror

odd
July 7, 2014
This movie had me laughing out loud. It is so bizarre, but very clever.
May 31, 2014
The special affects were so bad!
May 27, 2014
It seems like a cop-out to say this, but I feel like anyone who hates this film doesn't get it, and for the most part that implies you're too old. I feel like I may have been too old, but in my state of flux between two generations, I was able to get it enough to like it on first viewing. After the second time watching a year later, it was infinitely better. I was left with nothing but admiration for its insanity and I followed the plot much better once all the shock was left out of the equation. It's so fast-paced and jams the amount of homage and meta-references usually reserved for spoofing without ever dipping into that easy comedy mine. I highly recommend at least two viewings if you're over 25.
½ May 14, 2014
What could have been an interesting and fun genre-bending teen flick turns out to just be a terrible, terrible mess.
½ May 5, 2014
Detention plays with conventions, mixing genres and providing a great doze of fun to any horror/ sci- fi/ teenage movie lover. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.
April 20, 2014
It's a movie made for the MTV crowd... Need I say more?
½ February 3, 2014
Monday, February 3, 2014

(2012) Detention
COMEDY HORROR

A combination of 'Scream' meeting "Scary Movie" without too much homage movie scenes. Co-written and directed by Joseph Kahn starring Alison Woods as Taylor who plays an outcast except that she's being hunted and stalked by a deranged serial killer called "Cinderhella" who's hunting students from Grizzly Lake High. She eventually bonds with popular student Clapton Davis (Josh Hutcherson) and they work together as a team for the intentions of not just exposing who he is but why.

Unfunny and silly, intentioned for kids who don't need much to be entertained. It's also very spontaneously made with a time machine built into the college statue of a bear.

Bomb