Detropia Reviews

½ December 6, 2014
Eye rollingly pretentious at times, disjointed and politically inflected, yet at the same time heartbreaking and sobering Detropia is not a great documentary but a good insight into the challenges of post-fordist rust belt America.
July 28, 2014
Detropia is essential viewing for those curious about the plight and possibilities of a great American City.
½ March 30, 2013
Documentário sobre uma cidade que cresceu e encolheu rapidamente devido à flutuação da indústria automotiva. Interessante o esforços dos cidadãos em continuar vivendo na cidade, apesar da economia quebrada, criminalidade e abandono do poder público.
December 25, 2013
Maybe this movie marks the bottom of Detroit's decay.
½ October 19, 2013
In light of my upcoming trip to Detroit, I thought I'd educate myself a little on the current situation there. This is a heartbreaking documentary that details the struggles of the once great city's residents and their will to see the city brought back to its glory days. While the documentary focuses on the deterioration of Detroit, the viewer can't help but wonder if this could happen anywhere else in America.

On Netflix now. Check it out, nerds!
October 4, 2013
Wow, poor Detroit - once a thriving megapolis and now bankrupt, didn't see that coming.
September 22, 2013
Flawed but with some good content.
½ August 6, 2013
I kinda wanna move to Detroit now.
½ July 3, 2013
Detropia is a truly haunting documentary about the end of an era. This film shows the despair but also the fight that still exists in those that love their great city.
½ July 28, 2013
Pretty good but doesn't answer questions of how the automakers became so financially strapped.
I guess it is not a big secret though. You do get an good idea of the desperation
In detroit.
½ July 14, 2013
It was entertaining and well done but didn't reveal any shocking info or solution for Detroit.
½ September 13, 2012
A thought-provoking and well-made documentary that unfortunately didn't offer any real solutions to the issues raised.
August 19, 2012
Everyone in the USA needs to see this movie. Not a whole lot of information, but what it lacks there it makes up for in emotion and soul.
June 24, 2013
Sounds cooler than it actually is, but to be honest I wasn't really paying attention.
June 8, 2013
Interesting and well-shot, but kind of disorganized. For example, footage of 1967 riot with no commentary linking it to current problems. No discussion of globalization. But still important cautionary tale re decline of city with disappearance of middle class. Sad to hear corporation not care if employees can live on their wage. Also sad to see people holding on to past, refusing to consider changes probably necessary to move forward.
June 2, 2013
Excellent documentary on Detroit's past, present and future.
½ May 28, 2013
So sad to see the Detroit of my youth, that exciting, vibrant, "place to be", in such a depressing state. My Mom and I rushed to downtown Detroit, as often as we could, we loved it there. Loved the architecture, the people, the concerts, sports, shopping, the "feel" of what Detroit was. And of course the music! We always thought Detroit was such a trend setter. It was hip before hip hop was invented! Sure hope the trend setting qualities of Detroit don't remain. For if the bankruptcy of Detroit is any indication, then the whole nation is in for quite a slide, down to the pit of destruction. I feel like I'm in mourning, but still, somehow, glad I watched it. It makes me wonder, if this powerhouse could be brought down to its knees, then what's next? Who's favorite city is next to fall in the same pit?
May 24, 2013
SLOW, boring, and basically a compilation of pieces that never make up a whole. Live in the Detroit area but learned nothing about how Detroit got to where it is.
January 29, 2013
An intriguing, dark, and eye-opening portrayal of the current state of Detroit and its citizenry. Fantastic cinematography and plenty of atmosphere successfully display the fears and struggles of the failing city's inhabitants.