19% Transcendence Apr 18

The Devil's Advocate Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 15, 2011
The Devil's advocate is a terrifying, well crafted Horror drama that is one of a few last good films starring Al Pacino. The film combines all sorts of elements into one film, and it's a refreshing take on the traditional horror film. I really enjoyed Al Pacino's performance here and Keanu Reeves, who usually is one dimensional in his acting abilities, gives a good performance as well. The film feels as if John Grisham and Stephen King would've collaborated on a film and this was the result. A good film with good acting, and an even better story. Al Pacino was definitely a wise choice to play the devil in this film and this is simply a well crafted film with creepy, horrifying elements to it. That makes all the difference. This is a well executed film, one that has plenty of chills and good story development. The film may miss the mark on few occasions, but for the most part, the film succeeds in being a work of pure entertainment that will most likely surprise viewers by Keanu Reeve's good performance. But like I said, Al Pacino really is the actor that delivers the goods on screen; he makes the role his own and steals every scene he's in. I think it's too bad that lately he hasn't done anything good, but Devil's Advocate is one of his last great performances. Devil's Advocate is a fine Motion Picture and is a truly entertaining Horror film that every fan of the genre must see. Truly eerie and atmospheric, Devil's Advocate is a film that will most likely make you sleep depraved for a little while.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
This movie confirms the myth that lawyers are really demons from Hell. It also has an excellent cast. I really enjoyed this movie, it's very cool, and I highly recommend it.
3niR
3niR

May 14, 2011
The story was just weird. It got crazy to crazier from the middle. And it's very slow. Keanu's acting was okay but his wink in the beginning looked fake (or weird).
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 18, 2007
i love Al Pacino, and he by far played the best satan ever, i think i follow the storyline, i may have to rewatch it to get the full facts of what its trying to get across.
TheGame90
TheGame90

October 26, 2010
Very nice movie. And nice how it pretty much changes genre in the middle of the movie. Great work by Reeves, Pacino and Theron. They should be happy with what they did
Gx7
Gx7

October 30, 2007
Vanity, definitely my favorite sin. (RE-RATED)
Dan S

October 7, 2007
A stylish, entertaining thriller concerning a hot-shot lawyer (Keanu Reeves) who gets his chance to shine in New York alongside a charismatic boss (Al Pacino), who possesses an evil mind underneath his cool demeanor. With a movie like this, it could've come across as bloated (nearly two and a half hours?), absurd, and ultimately distasteful. Instead, director Taylor Hackford actually does a good job getting his audience interested from the get-go by being very slick and fast-moving. Also, by developing its characters well (especially Charlize Theron's) and inserting some clever twists into its storyline, one can't help but say at the end of the movie that one was at least entertained. And that's the point, although it does also contain a well-focused, cynical viewpoint on humanity as a whole that it repeatedly shows through Pacino's speeches and Reeves' actions. Reeves (the most inconsistent actor on the face of this earth) gives a solid turn (despite his horrible accent - I was able to forgive him. A scene with Theron about 2/3 of the way through is the most passion I've seen him show without forcing it) as a man torn between temptation and loyalty, but it's Pacino who really shines as the slithering demonic figure. It's probably worth seeing if you're a big Pacino fan (like myself), since he's a blast in this.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 13, 2009
Vanity, definitely my favorite sin.

Great perfomance by Al Pacino. I enjoy his movies. Devil begins and wins.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
A ridiculously idiotic plot, but Al Pacino plays one amazing Satan. The story makes little sense and is extremely corny. Along with that, Keanu Reeves plays another one of his brainless roles. It's just a weird 90s movie that has no real emotion or significance.
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

July 25, 2009
Al Pacino was very good! I dont know...I may have liked it I may not have...I dont really think i would watch it again...not that good! It was ...I almost want to say "Cheaply" written....I the script was just lacking something...the extra EVIL!
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

October 3, 2009
Al Pacino in a role that suits his fiery demeanor, with some yellow ass teeth. Good story and script but the Southern accents delivered by Reeves and Theron are below par. Should have cast Tommy Lee Jones in Keanu's role but he's as old as Pacino, wouldn't look fitting.
Anthony L

September 23, 2009
Good film, I liked Pacino?s Satan better than De Niro?s! Charlize Theron is really good too but Keanu Reeves is, Keanu Reeves if you catch my drift.
Lady D

July 28, 2006
A much better film than I had previously rated it. Certainly one of Keanu Reeves better acting roles (shall we say), with great performances from Al Pacino and Charlize Theron, a film about vanity, ego and the Lawyer theme was a good example choice of how right and wrong are not necessarily the justification in a material world.

Thought provoking in many ways.
Jani H

March 27, 2008
"What about love?
- Overrated. Biochemically no different than eating large quantities of chocolate."

The movie starts in a good way, keeps the viewers focus on and is entertaining for most of the time. But then it's time for the end scenes and Pacino's monologues, which also are perfect examples of overacting at its best/worst.

"The Devil's Advocate" has its moments but it's too inconsistent. The actors do a decent job in overall but the movie lacks something that would've made it memorable.

"Are we negotiating?
- Always."
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

November 23, 2007
This movie was very unusual in its artistry. I found it to be quite enjoyable and pleasant to watch. Keanu Reeves was perfect as a frustrated, yet dominating lawyer with a conflicting personal life and professional life. The power that Pacino radiates is impressive, and a little frightening. After this movie, I felt moved by the incredible emotive wave that possessed me throughout the film. It was very easy to sympathize with Theron, and frankly, Reeves should definitely have paid more attention to her. The special effects were intriguing, the acting wonderful, and the story provocative. I highly recommend this movie.
Al S

December 4, 2007
An awsome and incrediable movie. Brilliant, stylish, gripping and very original. A breathtaking edge of your seat supernatural thriller with a double-twist ending that you have to see to belive. Al Pacino gives a unforgettable powerhouse performance. A devilishly charming and witty character.
Ken S

April 3, 2007
Over the top-tastic
garyX
garyX

January 3, 2007
Hot shot Florida defence attorney Keanu Reeves has never lost a case, and so comes to the attention of a New York law firm that is, of course, run by Satan. This is one of those films that has a popularity I've never quite understood; it reminds me of Fallen, in that it's so ridiculous, yet takes itself so, so seriously. Pacino's speeches are more glib rants than insightful comments on the state of man, playing the Devil like a cross between a used car salesman and a pervy uncle at Christmas time, and Keanu doesn't have the range to make this kind of hokey nonsense believable. The gothic style effects just look silly, and the climax is overly melodramatic to the point of being laughable. The only thing that saves the film for me is Charlize Theron; her character's mental deterioration is easily the best performance and all the best scenes revolve around her. It does have a reasonable twist, and the scenes between Keanu and Pacino do amuse, but other than that, it's just daft.
Stephen M

October 3, 2007
A silly thriller with mildly satirical pretensions, whose plot seems to have been suggested purely by the titular turn of phrase. Entertaining, nevertheless, but I'll stick with "Rosemary's Baby" or "The Omen" for my satanic kicks.
Apeneck F

July 19, 2007
ooooo, there's a idea...al pacino as satan...a casting director's dream! and poor al...another film in which he doesn't have to act, but simply be himself! watch for the rape scene...it'll scare the bejesus out of you!