26% The Other Woman Apr 25

—— Suburgatory: Season 3

Devil's Pass Reviews

Dann M

January 22, 2014
A mixture of Blair Witch and Chernobyl Diaries, Devil's Pass is an intense and frightening thriller. Filmed in a found footage style, a group of students retrace the steps of a famous Russian exposition that was mysteriously lost while exploring a mountain passage. The writing is especially good; particularly in how it subtly builds from a mundane mountain trek into a conspiratorial thriller. Additionally, the cast is pretty good and helps to give the footage an authentic feel. Still, the characters are a little underserved and aren't fleshed out too much beyond what's needed for the story. Devil's Pass has some weak point, but overall it's a smart and compelling horror film that does a remarkable job at using the found footage genre.
PantaOz
PantaOz

August 31, 2013
Movie The Dyatlov Pass Incident is somehow named Devil's Pass here on RT and on IMDB. It is based on a true story about a mysterious event that resulted in the deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountains on the night of February 2, 1959. The story is one of an unsolved mystery and should make an intriguing film, especially when we know the details of the real events: access to the area was barred for skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident, and the investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot into heavy snow and a temperature of −30 °C (−22 °F). Although the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue...

In this case the director Renny Harlin who directed films such as Die Hard 2, Cliffhanger, and A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master, for some reason decided to use a found footage approach and the movie is trying to have some documentary style... but everything is so fake that I lost the interest just after the first half, and the rest was simply struggle to finish to the end.

Screenplay was so far-fetched with unbelievable theories (involves another curious tale from the 1940s that continues to fascinate conspiracy theorists) that almost required no intelligence on behalf of the viewer. Acting was something I'll rather forget but directing wasn't too bad. It had some quality in few parts of the film, but the final horror product I saw - sucks! This American-Russian co-production offers a fictional solution to the real-life story of what happened to nine Soviet ski-hikers who met mysterious, unexplained deaths in the Urals in February 1959 which I wasn't interested in.
Francisco  G.
Francisco G.

January 6, 2014
Yet another bunch of american kids pick up some cameras and go where they shouldn't go. I don't have a problem with the hand-held camera approach at all. Some of my favorite recent horror flicks were shot like this, it's just that this storyline approach is quickly grow so so old.

Devil's Pass plays like all the others, whilst featuring some gorgeous sightings and it's actually pretty well crafted.

Many people have been complaining about the twists and whatnot, but I didn't mind the crazy mix of things, it's actually what could've set it apart from others. Problem is that it's all very underwhelming and they were obviously bitting more than they could chew on this one. No matter how cool or good your intentions were, the budget held things back a lot by the end.

Still, fairly entertaining albeit cliché as hell.
September 14, 2013
it started off well, and it was pretty creepy, but then as the movie progressed it jumped into fictional stupidity. From the Avalanche Scene, things really went down hill.... I stopped watching it 20 minutes from the ending because i lost interest and just didn't care how it would end.
June 30, 2013
As an ardent fan of the found-tootage horror, I watch every uninspired, two-dollar piece of crap movie that comes out from groups of people who think running through the woods and shaking the camera around is all that you need for a good horror movie. Thankfully, The Dyatlov Pass Incident shows that there is still live and originality in the genre. The film takes a real-world mystery, a bizarre mass death in Ural Mountains of Russia, and turns it into a horror film as a group of modern-day students attempt to discover what happened. What ensues is always surprising, original, creepy, and intelligent.
April 19, 2014
Well made. Breezy actiing, quick moving plot....just some issues with the decisions the characters make. Having watched sci-fi since the 60's , I can say this movie kept my attention and went some place else, whatever that means.
April 9, 2014
so bad lololol, i enjoy just about any horror movie but this shit sucked. when they finally showed the creatures i literally laughed out loud since they looked like a video game
February 27, 2014
It's not perfect and I'm sure there are certain parts that could've made a bit more sense but overall, Devil's Pass is creepy, unique, and an interesting take on an already intriguing premise that also happens to be based usual real-life events.
March 3, 2014
Not at all as bad as I thought it would be. In many parts it falls flat, boring, ang poorly written. However at the end I liked it as it offered a very intriguing ending (storywise) and some fairly creepy moments, specially regarding the "things" that end up attacking and stalking the group. However it did feel as if the ending got special attention on not so much the other first hour of the movie. MUCH better that onther found footage films that tend to be monotonous, predictable, and just not as interesting.
February 25, 2014
Love the concept and the way the story plays out, so I wasn't disappointed. However, the "found footage" approach should have been nixed; while it added an interesting element to the storytelling, it made suspending disbelief more challenging, especially in the final sequences...really? their cameras were able to capture all those angles? Kinda hoping for a follow up to this one as it also plays as a loose sequel to a classic 80s film that I won't name because it would hint to the ending twist.
February 24, 2014
A mockumentary, another one.
Like all the others that tried, this one never quite reaches it goal at being surreal, (except a few scenes which I will give an applause too) and funny when it plays a joke. Seriously the jokes are stale and embarrasing.
Its really stupid and a waste of time.
I am still trying to decide which is better Chernobyl Diaries, or this.
February 20, 2014
An interesting blairwitchy thingy.
February 16, 2014
Ugh . . . found footage . . . this genre is worn out.
February 16, 2014
Of course when it comes time to see cold, it might be that Renny Harlin isn't far behind. And in the case of these lost filmakers, cold enough for cuddling? Yes. Cold enough for death. And to look in the face of evil, be careful. You might just see yourself. As for our adventurers starting on their journey, we are all hopes and potential. To know you might get answers to questions about a real life event from 1950's Russia makes the anticipation very tenuous and sometimes downright scary. As they are warned to stay away from the trouble, they continue down their path. We learn through interactions with the main girl character and Jensen the camera guy, that they have felt themselves being pulled here for a very long time. Is it any surprise then, that the monsters that haunt them in the end and are the monsters that were always there. I'd say not, and let the thought go.
Bribarian
January 31, 2014
Didn't deliver for me at all. Nothing new is really added with this movie. You've seen it all before but better.
January 28, 2014
pretty good movie until the encounters in the cave. Don't know about you all but hard to enjoy in the dark with shaky camera and sub par special effects.
January 26, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. At first it's pretty much Blair Witch reincarnate with the film team and female lead making stubborn and stupid decisions however that didn't last. While pretty average for the most part there were moments of brilliance that impressed me- like the understated reveal of what the "orange lights" actually were. You would absolutely NEVER guess the ending unless you read a spoiler- which also impressed me. Even though the end bombards you with all of these crazy elements, reveals and conspiracies from all directions at a pace where you can't absorb one idea before you are smacked with another (and I would have liked to see some of it explored a little further) I can't fault it because the ideas were pretty darn original with a clever WTF wrap up.. Definitely worth watching at least once.
January 26, 2014
Hey look, another found-footage movie.
January 24, 2014
Uma bagunça disfarçada de FoundFootage (estilo A Bruxa de Blair) que mistura criaturas que não assustam e uma história de viagem no tempo que não empolga.
Dann M