Devil's Playground - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Devil's Playground Reviews

Beefy
October 23, 2011
In a genre as potentially played out as zombie films, you can't afford to be derivative or dull. And yet this was both. Not awful, but not much else.
October 14, 2010
Its not bad but its certainly not nearly as good as 28 days later. Biggest gimmick is the facts the zombies/infected are played by freerunners.
November 10, 2012
Cool zombie flick. When a new performance enhancing drug is tested on thousands of people and it has a bad reaction on nearly every tester, Britain(and probably the world) is at risk from zombie bastards! There was one tester who had no reaction, Angela, and she clearly needs to be saved and looked after. Enter an ex-miltary/security/hitman dude, along with a few hangers on, and there battling to get away from the zombies. Thanks to the decent cast and more athletic than usual zombies, Devil's Playground actually feels more realistic than alot of the throw away zombie flicks that have been coming out constantly for the past 10 years. Its a simple idea, maybe not the most original, done well.
John2223
October 16, 2010
"Devil's Playground" has the same basic concept of "28 Days Later"; fast-moving infected and a group of individuals trying to escape the horror, fighting amongst themselves on the way. The stunt sequences are well done and the movie is nicely shot, with some fantastic views of London on display BUT the characters are melodramatic clichés that ruin the pace of the movie here and there.
Not a bad addiction to the infected genre.
½ October 5, 2014
A rather average take on the idea of the zombie apocalypse, something I rented because I kind of don't hate Danny Dyer as much as the rest of the world seems to, and I doubt I;d return to it again.

Rental? Maybe?
½ June 25, 2013
TERRIBLE!!! The concept has been done and done and done. This would be a good film if it had some sort of originality but since it's trying to be Resident Evil meets Walking Dead in London...it's just lame. :(
September 8, 2012
Definitely not the most original idea for a zombie/infected movie. But was shocked at the high caliber of fast paced action and thrills that engulfed this film. For a low budget film, I tip my hat to them. Not bad, not bad at all!
½ August 17, 2012
comedic factor here superb. lots to laugh at scare Dar none zombie run so think 28 days later but enjoyable to watch.
July 5, 2012
Devil's Playground (Mark McQueen, 2010)

Devil's Playground, the debut feature from director Mark McQueen (The Only Way Is Essex and scriptwriter Bart Ruspoli (you may remember him in front of the camera in Band of Brothers) is unapologetic 28 Days Later... fanfic that, let's face it, is probably only worth watching if you're a fan of one or more of the principals. The thing is, I can't imagine anyone not being a fan of at least one of the principals, a number of whom have made their mark in both British and American movies and television over the past decade: Danny Dyer (Doghouse), Colin Salmon (Resident Evil, MyAnna Buring (The Descent), Sean Pertwee (Event Horizon), Jaime Murray (Dexter), Craig Fairbrass (Prime Suspect 2)... the list goes on. It's fun, it's predictable, it's well-acted (though as a number of reviews have noted, the actors are doing they best they can with a watery script), it's a pretty much perfect piece of turn-your-brain-off entertainment.

Which would normally be everything I have to say about this movie, but I want to point out one interesting thing that may have affected my judgment (other than my being an unapologetic Danny Dyer fanboy). I've read a number of comments on the film that mention parkour. I didn't even notice, in the same way I didn't notice the bullet-time sequences in The Matrix until it was pointed out to me a couple of years later that this was, in fact, A Thing. Unlike The Matrix's bullet-time, which seems to have made a lot of people say âwow, that's coolâ? to a movie with an utterly generic script and lackluster-at-best acting, Devil's Playground's parkour seems to have garnered the opposite reaction. And unfortunately, my mentioning it means that if you now go off and watch the movie you're not going to be able to not notice it. But at least you'll be prepared. In any case, just turn your brain off and have fun with it. ***
½ May 29, 2012
Somewhat derivative of 28 Days Later, Devil's Playground is another British zombie film featuring a drug that creates an army of fast-moving zombies. Despite its not being totally original, I thoroughly enjoyed Devil's Playground, which is saying something considering how tired I have become of zombie fare in recent years. Featuring solid character development, competent direction, and decent zombie action, Devil's Playground never really does anything new but it achieves it does what it does rather well.
½ May 17, 2012
A corporation has invented a new type of drug, and tests it on 30,000 test subjects in London. One month later, 29,999 of them have become infected with a disease that turns them into mindless zombies - but zombies that can run super fast and are agile and strong.

Only one test subject - Angela Mills (MyAnna Buring) - shows no symptoms of the virus. Cole (Craig Fairbrass), the company's strongarm, is sent to retrieve her and find out why the virus hasn't affected her - and he's running out of time, because he's been infected as well.

Meanwhile, Angela and her friends are heading for a helicopter to meet with her brother Matt (Bart Ruspoli) and escape the city. They meet up with Cole, and as it is with every zombie movie, we're treated to how people react to one another in a very stressful situation as they try to survive and make it out of London.

I love zombie flicks, but I've seen some horrible ones. This one isn't one of them. The characters are well-developed and more than just one-dimension, the storyline (although it has connections to "Resident Evil") is engaging, and the zombies are cool. Watching how the survivors turn on one another was entertaining because you actually grow to either love or hate the characters based on their actions. A great low-budget zombie flick all around.
May 16, 2012
Not a zombie movie, but more in the tradition of 28 Days Later. Nicely executed, able to convey the feeling of panic spreading throughout a population as the infected spread, following the uninfected as they flee.
½ December 14, 2010
This movie is very aggravating to watch, seriously. The audio is chalk board screeching irritating. In addition to that, stuff just happens to make this movie seem so unrealistic, but for some strange reason, I kept watching it. I didn't enjoy it though.
½ October 24, 2010
The same plot as 28 weeks later. A girl is immune to the virus and they're trying to get her through a hoard of zombies so they can create a cure. The zombies were good. They were quick monkey-like creatures. The plot and the acting was solid. I enjoyed it.
October 14, 2010
Not really Denny's best work.. his character is more whiny than anything else. It was a pretty good ride, but the ending left a little to be desired.
½ August 27, 2015
Yet another low-budget zombie movie, but at least this one has some substance to it.
April 28, 2015
(38%)
Yet another modern zombie flick that has nothing new to add at all, there's almost no reason at all why anyone needs to see this; yet somehow I oddly kind of enjoyed this cheap, simple, decently packaged fast zombie slice of throwaway B-movie fluff. This attempts to follow on the footsteps of the much better 21 days later with the zombies infected with some sort of chemical, only here the scientists featured are wholly incompetent with their 100% fail rate resulting in the zombie outbreak. Low end British star Danny Dyer plays (shock horror) a tough London crook, though he isn't really the main focus here which is on quite a wide assortment of little known faces. There's plenty of what most people want from a film of this type (blood, zombies getting smashed up) which is enough for a half recommendation, though there's nothing else here of any value whatsoever.
January 24, 2015
Personally it was all unrealistic and well ....dull!!, It was alright but wouldn't watch again!