Devil's Playground Reviews

April 28, 2015
(38%)
Yet another modern zombie flick that has nothing new to add at all, there's almost no reason at all why anyone needs to see this; yet somehow I oddly kind of enjoyed this cheap, simple, decently packaged fast zombie slice of throwaway B-movie fluff. This attempts to follow on the footsteps of the much better 21 days later with the zombies infected with some sort of chemical, only here the scientists featured are wholly incompetent with their 100% fail rate resulting in the zombie outbreak. Low end British star Danny Dyer plays (shock horror) a tough London crook, though he isn't really the main focus here which is on quite a wide assortment of little known faces. There's plenty of what most people want from a film of this type (blood, zombies getting smashed up) which is enough for a half recommendation, though there's nothing else here of any value whatsoever.
January 24, 2015
Personally it was all unrealistic and well ....dull!!, It was alright but wouldn't watch again!
½ October 5, 2014
A rather average take on the idea of the zombie apocalypse, something I rented because I kind of don't hate Danny Dyer as much as the rest of the world seems to, and I doubt I;d return to it again.

Rental? Maybe?
July 14, 2013
I liked this British addition to the zombie genre, especially since the ending had hope for the future, which is unusual for such films, and there was more than usual in the way of character development, too.
April 28, 2012
This certainly wasn't the worse Zombie film I have seen. It was interesting but it felt like there needed to be more to the story. The acting was good and there was plenty of gore. The zombies in this are a bit stealthy so there is plenty of built up tension. Worth a see but only if you are a zombie fan. This is just meh..
½ June 25, 2013
TERRIBLE!!! The concept has been done and done and done. This would be a good film if it had some sort of originality but since it's trying to be Resident Evil meets Walking Dead in London...it's just lame. :(
November 10, 2012
Cool zombie flick. When a new performance enhancing drug is tested on thousands of people and it has a bad reaction on nearly every tester, Britain(and probably the world) is at risk from zombie bastards! There was one tester who had no reaction, Angela, and she clearly needs to be saved and looked after. Enter an ex-miltary/security/hitman dude, along with a few hangers on, and there battling to get away from the zombies. Thanks to the decent cast and more athletic than usual zombies, Devil's Playground actually feels more realistic than alot of the throw away zombie flicks that have been coming out constantly for the past 10 years. Its a simple idea, maybe not the most original, done well.
October 22, 2012
I actually liked it. It was like watching 28 Days Later if all of the zombies knew parkour.
October 6, 2012
There's alot of actions but not the cameras moving too quick to see in full details what happened. That's not a masterchief of horror-zombie..
½ September 16, 2012
One of the better zombie movies.
September 7, 2012
Craig Fairbrass and Danny Dyer are exellent in this gripping Zombie thriller, very enjoyable, and not a dull moment, exellent
August 16, 2012
A British zombie movie very much in the tradition of "28 Days Later" and "28 Weeks Later", "Devil's Playground" is unabashedly derivative of those films. But if you enjoyed them (and I did) you'll find it more than satisfactory.
August 13, 2012
poor mans version of 28 days later and i am legend
½ August 11, 2012
Horror movie? Waste of time!
½ August 5, 2012
British Horror. Zombies. Gore. Worth a rental.
½ August 2, 2012
79%

This is what RESIDENT EVIL-APOCALYPSE should have been.
July 5, 2012
Devil's Playground (Mark McQueen, 2010)

Devil's Playground, the debut feature from director Mark McQueen (The Only Way Is Essex and scriptwriter Bart Ruspoli (you may remember him in front of the camera in Band of Brothers) is unapologetic 28 Days Later... fanfic that, let's face it, is probably only worth watching if you're a fan of one or more of the principals. The thing is, I can't imagine anyone not being a fan of at least one of the principals, a number of whom have made their mark in both British and American movies and television over the past decade: Danny Dyer (Doghouse), Colin Salmon (Resident Evil, MyAnna Buring (The Descent), Sean Pertwee (Event Horizon), Jaime Murray (Dexter), Craig Fairbrass (Prime Suspect 2)... the list goes on. It's fun, it's predictable, it's well-acted (though as a number of reviews have noted, the actors are doing they best they can with a watery script), it's a pretty much perfect piece of turn-your-brain-off entertainment.

Which would normally be everything I have to say about this movie, but I want to point out one interesting thing that may have affected my judgment (other than my being an unapologetic Danny Dyer fanboy). I've read a number of comments on the film that mention parkour. I didn't even notice, in the same way I didn't notice the bullet-time sequences in The Matrix until it was pointed out to me a couple of years later that this was, in fact, A Thing. Unlike The Matrix's bullet-time, which seems to have made a lot of people say ‚wow, that's cool‚? to a movie with an utterly generic script and lackluster-at-best acting, Devil's Playground's parkour seems to have garnered the opposite reaction. And unfortunately, my mentioning it means that if you now go off and watch the movie you're not going to be able to not notice it. But at least you'll be prepared. In any case, just turn your brain off and have fun with it. ***
½ May 29, 2012
Somewhat derivative of 28 Days Later, Devil's Playground is another British zombie film featuring a drug that creates an army of fast-moving zombies. Despite its not being totally original, I thoroughly enjoyed Devil's Playground, which is saying something considering how tired I have become of zombie fare in recent years. Featuring solid character development, competent direction, and decent zombie action, Devil's Playground never really does anything new but it achieves it does what it does rather well.
June 10, 2012
Not a bad zombie movie.
½ May 26, 2012
parkour zombies is a cool idea but you gotta still have something solid to go with it to stand out