Guide of the Dead - An RT Romero Retrospective

Summary

As Diary of the Dead hits cinemas, we sit down with George A. Romero to talk retrospectively about what has come from his zombie opus, the Dead series, and what the future has in store... Back to Article

Comments

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

Awesome.

Mar 7 - 03:41 PM

Spiderbash

Tommy Thevenet

This is just great

Mar 7 - 03:54 PM

NoirZombi

Carson Winter

George Romero is a legend. Great article.

Mar 7 - 07:16 PM

AquaFina

Dominic Iseli-Smith

Nice job with this. Great writing, good little interview. I love the attention on Romero and his canon. He's still got stuff to say.

Mar 7 - 11:10 PM

purelife112

Calvin Khurniawan

George shows a really great, worth movie. It's more than worth, actually. It's perfect.

Mar 8 - 05:43 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I havent seen this yet, Ill probably rent it. I really like ROMERO. I hope he does WORLD OF THE DEAD.

Mar 8 - 08:29 PM

mattdaddy36

Matthew Weerts

One of my favorites of all time. Of all of his films, Dawn Of The Dead is by far the best. I think people would like Day Of The Dead better if it had a different soundtrack. For some reason, Dawn Of The Dead and it's 70's Goblin soundtrack has withstood the test of time. The synth heavy 80's soundtrack really kills this movie (as it kills most 80's movies - see the Lethal Weapon movies now and you would swear Phil Collins crapped out the soundtrack). If it had a more orchestral soundtrack or more dissonance in the mix, it would have been more successful. Just watch the opening sequence. When I saw this in the theaters in the 80's, this was one of the most memorable scenes in the film. Now I cringe because the music is so horrid. Even if you put this to the old Goblin soundtrack, (especially the scene in the basement of the apartment), it would be twice as effective than the current one. I really want to see the new one, because it hearkens back to the early films where the zombies are not humanized as much. I feel that this is what caused people the most problems with Land Of The Dead. The movies always worked best, even within themselves, when the antagonistic humans were "offed" by making a crucial mistake (like Tom Savini's character or the Father in Night), instead of some kind of "zombie vengance" (a la Bub, or Big Daddy).

Mar 9 - 08:11 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Great article.

Mar 9 - 09:24 AM

MrDurden

JD Dutter

Land of the Dead was one of the worst films ever made. I don't see how Diary will be any better, or worse.

Mar 9 - 12:54 PM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

Only an idot would ever say that.

Mar 9 - 01:17 PM

mattdaddy36

Matthew Weerts

If you think that was the worst, then maybe you haven't seen Burial Ground, a crappy Italian zombie movie that came out in the states shortly after Day Of The Dead. However, maybe you should try to find it, because it is one of the "so bad it's good" genre. The zombies wear burlap sacks, you can see the flesh part of their palms under the zombie makeup on the back of their hands, I swear a zombie makeup included a fried egg glued to some one's face, and there is a scene where a zombie kid (who looks to be in his 30's) bites off his mom's breast, and blueberry pie filling flies out. Land Of The Dead is 400 billion times that movie. Or else watch Good Luck Chuck.

Mar 10 - 05:34 AM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

Only an idot would ever say that.

Mar 9 - 01:17 PM

Rays reviews

R. King

I still havent seen Diary of the Dead yet, and will most likely RENT it when it comes to DVD.

To say I was very DISAPOINTED with Land of the Dead, would be a VAST Understatement.

Dawn of the Dead(1978) is by far my favorite of the series, which steadily declined after Day of the Dead.

IMO the Apex of the series was Dawn of the Dead and it seems as tho (and not by my personal review as of yet, becasue I havent seen it, yet) Diary is the pit.

I've already seen [rec} so what can Diary actually add to that experience? not much im afraid.

Mar 9 - 03:56 PM

mattdaddy36

Matthew Weerts

Mar 10 - 05:34 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

Land of the Dead was an improvement on Day of the Dead (which was Romero's weakest, but I hear there was budgetary constraints). It was scary, quick paced, interesting characters, and it took the story somewhere (haves vs. have nots, zombies learning and maybe evolving). I really enjoyed it and would love to see Diary of the Dead, IF I COULD FIND A THEATRE AROUND HERE SHOWING IT!

Mar 10 - 08:11 AM

mattdaddy36

Matthew Weerts

No kidding. This movie is harder to find than Ethan Suplee's taint. I hope this makes a quick trip to video so I can see it soon (after it makes it's small budget back).

Mar 10 - 11:33 AM

mattdaddy36

Matthew Weerts

Mar 10 - 11:33 AM

jeffklug

Jeff Klug

Nice job, but....Romero didn't put a black guy in the movie to make a statement. He put him in because he needed someone to play the role and the guy was the only one around. I think they were buddies or something. He had no idea that people were going to think he was making a statement.

Mar 10 - 06:09 PM

Stevie Z

Steven Zakos

You are a movie God George, going to see diary tomorrow and i am excited as hell!

Mar 13 - 08:22 AM

luvneverends

vicki lee

He's a sexy player. I am his loyal adorer. Seems he has a personal account on a

celeb&millionaire dating site called 'Rich Match Making com'. Is he single? He wanna hook

up with hottie or cuttie?

Apr 26 - 08:36 AM

tidusd

Agnes Young

I agree that Land of the Dead was the weakest but still very watchable, loved the rest of them.Unlike a lot of you though my favourite is Day of the Dead. Beautiful gore sequences, the magnificent Bub (my hero). The way that living underground when the whole world wants to eat them has driven most of them mad or into characters lacking any morality. The constant danger the only female character was in protected by yet again a strong,intelligent coloured man and also a jovial alcoholic. Having seen Diary of the Dead I think it is a worthy addition to Romeros portfolio.The mans' my hero!

Oct 19 - 03:53 PM

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank

Best Comedy Actress