Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days Reviews

MANUGINO
January 11, 2013
Not so wimpy after all!

Good movie! This film is the third film in this popular series and is based on the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, which are written by Jeff Kinney. The entire movie flowed well, no moments felt dry, and that can be a big problem with some movies today. Overall, Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, is a great, fun, enjoyable film for the family. I can't wait to see what the studio is going to do next!

School is out and Greg is ready for the days of summer, when all his plans go wrong. What on earth is he going to do all summer?
thmtsang
July 15, 2012
During the summer Greg joins a country club to get close to a girl.
August 5, 2012
"Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days" is the third installment in this fantastic series of family movies. This time around the kids are on Summer break before the 8th grade and anything that can go wrong, does. All Greg wants to do is play video games, but his Dad wants him to get out of the house more. So, Greg uses Rowley's country club membership to get to know a girl, while lying to his Dad saying he has a job. That is the jest of it, anymore and it may ruin some of the plot details. This isn't the best of the three, but it's still a great entry. The humor is dead on, and all the performances are great. Steve Zahn has a much bigger role here, which is good because Zahn is always great. Also, this movie features the greatest cover of Justin Beiber's song "Baby", it has to be seen to believe. I wouldn't say this series gets better and better, but it's still entertaining and funny, which matters most. Perfect family movie for kids and adults. My wife and I went on a little date(our kid is too young to go to the movies yet), and we loved it and laughed more than most the kids in the theater. Probably not a must see, but definitely worth a watch or two.
August 4, 2012
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days is the third installment in the film series based on the popular books, and is another harmless and silly addition that proves to be fun. These films are a guilty pleasure of mine, they prove to just be silly and fun and it really has a group of fun characters and jokes that will amuse both the young and old alike. The main problem with this series is that it is filled with many clichés and some jokes that are ridiculously gross. I mean I am not expecting some big masterpiece like The Godfather or Schindler's List, but I wish they could just get rid of some of the disgusting jokes that keep this from being a great series for kids. I laughed a lot during this film, which surprised me because I was expecting this to be annoying and childish, but it turned out to be silly and childish, which worked for me. It has the same kind of humor and story as the first two films and I really enjoyed that about it. I love the characters in this film, mainly because it seems like they have so much fun writing for these lovable guys and the scenes with Greg and Rowley together really shine. I honestly don't have a character that I dislike in this series; they all just make it so colorful and fun. I hope they still make sequels to this series because I still really enjoy it, even if the gross humor is totally unnecessary.

The story follows Greg Heffley (Zachary Gordon) during his summer vacation and his antics again go crazy. He spends time at Country Club with his best friend Rowley (Robert Capron) while trying to impress his crush Holly Hills. In the meantime, his father Frank (Steve Zahn) tries to get his to spend his summer doing some physical, but Greg has plans to just play video games. Greg will have to do everything he can to make his summer as fun as possible.

The plot of this film is pretty much an hour and a half of just silliness and fun stuff going on between the characters, and it actually worked for me. This series really doesn't have any storyline going on, each film is just a silly and fun time and it works for me. I love watching the characters and all the stuff they go through, and you can't help but love each of them because they are good hearted people and we can relate to one of them. If you have read the books like I have, than you must know that the books really don't have a storyline either so we just sit back and enjoy watching Greg Heffley's life and how he is annoyed by everything, everyone, and believe he is the smartest person of his friends and family. Greg is a funny kid, I mean he is a smartalick but we love him because of that and it just makes him an enjoyable hero. I love Greg's father in this film, I mean he was hilarious and watching his overreact was priceless, but maybe that was because of the hilarious performance from Steve Zahn. Rodrick looks like he is always on drugs, and it really just cracks me up with how big of a stereotype he is for bad boys in a rock band. Rowley was still funny for me; however he is getting a bit creepy in some parts as it seems he is in love with Greg more than being his friend. It just warms up my heart when seeing these characters, and they really make this series enjoyable to its fullest.

The cast consists of some really funny young actors and even the adults get a large share of the laughs this time around. It seems to me that these guys have so much fun when making the films, which makes it twice as fun for me to watch. Zachary Gordon is very likable and believable for this character, and he has proven to be a funny and enjoyable young actor throughout this series. David Bostick is perfect for a role like Rodrick; he pulls off the cliché bad boy and really just makes me laugh at everything he does in the film. Robert Capron is like a miniature version of Chris Farley, and I think that if he is still likable in the next 20 years that he may become a very popular comedian. Steve Zahn stole the show with this film and I loved his performance the most. There is one scene where he is going crazy and tries to unplug the television from the video games, and I couldn't stop laughing. You know a cast is pure fun when you can tell they had as much fun making the film as you had when watching.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days is not a great movie but I still had fun watching and I think that is the important thing in a film like this. There were some very ridiculous jokes in the film that they could've taken out, and many huge clichés that made me just roll my eyes. In a film like this we can expect a lot of clichés, but I don't understand why we need that. I mean it felt like they really could've had a great kid's movie here that appealed to all audiences but sadly they had to put in some disgusting and dumb jokes that will turn many older audience members off. The kids will adore it, and I enjoyed it as well, but there were many things that were just too unnecessary. It does the book its justice and I love watching them bring the animation from the books to life in some scenes. David Bowers directed this film and the previous film, and he has proven to me that he can make a very enjoyable and colorful with a lot of silly laughs that make it fun for me to watch. I can understand why some people would dislike a film like this, but I consider this a harmless and fun summer movie that just adds on to the film series that I have come to actually enjoy.
September 24, 2012
Dogged by simplicity but not dazed beyond redemption, Wimpy Kid at least whiles away an hour and a half of your summer. Lightyears better than its predecessor, Rodrick Rules, this second sequel can't stand up to the all-around A-level family entertainment of Pixar but it does put forth better summertime hues than blues. In fact, there are a number of funny moments that are featured gratuitously in the trailer. Some involve humiliating a friend's odd family and some involve comic mishaps like a Civil War re-enactment gone awry, but most unfortunately involve upping the gross factor to the Ugh degree. Still, moviegoers can't help but become embroiled in the ne'er-do-well misadventures of Greg Heffley.

In this PG-rated family-friendly sequel, wimpy kid Greg Heffley (Gordon) pretends to have a job at a ritzy country club to while away the dog days of summer, but ends up embroiled in everything from a camping disaster to a public pool mishap.

Smartly, the series has relegated some supporting characters to the far fringes of the script (disgusting tag-along Fregley and Indian nerd Chirag, we hardly missed ye) while elevating more interesting players to the forefront (goody love interest Holly and Greg's wacky put-upon Dad, please step up). It's not always a fun-filled day at the beach but it's far from sitting through a laborious session of summer school. What's most amazing is that - given the modest budget, B-Level cast, and this series' success thus far -Diary hasn't been further exploited and spun into a Disney or Nick TV program.

Bottom line: The Kid is alright.
August 8, 2012
I honestly think this is the best in the series. the humor was so hillarious, it was a huge improvement to the series, even though they were hilarious in the first place. this movie has to be seen mostly to fathers and sons. this movie was the first movie me and my dad actually laughed real hard, this movie was a personal comedy and it was like a really well made mirror on father and son conecction. its hillarious, its smart, it understands whats it about, and its by far one of the best films of the year. A+
September 23, 2011
'Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days' (2012) should have been the Last Straw! This movie was tedious, un-acted, and overall worse than the first two movies!
November 17, 2012
Watched this with the kids today and i dont know...i'm thinking the best one was the first book to movie adaptation that i liked better anyways. It was ok and my son who reads the books wasn't totally impressed either. Greg our main charector is about to chuck the school books and get ready for his summer vacation...you know the hard life of everyday video gaming whilst older brother roderick sleeps like a bear. That is until dad (Steve Zahn) has something to say about it. This leads Greg in desperation in what to do.. once again using Wimpy buddy Rowley so he gain access to Rowley's mother's pool and day spa club most of all to spend time with new love interest Holly Hills ( Peyton List) which ends him up in a whole heap of trouble expecially when older brother aka cheif antogonist Roderick ( Devon Bostick) getswind of it and demands that he will tell his father of his secrets unless Greg also sneaks him in.

Not a bad film and probably a good family film for those that have enjoyed the others in this series howev er the movies are running weakly on my son (A fan of the books) and myself so dont think we will be taking in anymore.
moviefan1725
½ August 8, 2012
There are many different kinds of family films. There are the ones that amuse little kids that are torture for a parent to sit through. There are films that transcend the family genre, and are just flat out great movies. The Diary Of A Wimpy Kid movies are somewhere in between. They aren't high art. I mean after all, they're based on a series of books that are largely made up of drawings. The stories are beyond simplistic, and the laughs are just this side of fart jokes. But there's real charm and truth to their simplicity that makes them engaging for parents and kids.

Now, it's not a totally smooth ride. This film is a hybrid of two different books in the series, and as such it feels far more episodic than the previous two. There's no real narrative story here. There's no goal it's striving for. It's a series of events in the lives of the characters over the course of summer vacation. Maybe that's why the lack of a coherent story doesn't bother me, but that's what summer vacation is supposed to be. A series of adventures with no point other than to have a good time.

The acting is what you'd expect from a movie like this, but there is a real surprise that adds a lot to the mix. Steve Zahn is given a much bigger part here as the dad, and his relationship with the main character, played by Zachary Gordon, is really the heart of the story. It shows a lot of bonding between the two on several different issues. It shows how fathers and sons can be so alike, yet so different at the same time. Zahn really does give a surprisingly believable performance, and his scenes with Gordon really struck home with me.

Being that these movies are made on an ultra-cheap budget, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see another sequel. But it may be time for Gordon to give up the role for the sake of realism. At 14, he's hit puberty, and gone through a growth spurt that doesn't make him such a little kid anymore, and his voice is almost deeper than Devon Bostick, who plays his older brother Rodrick.

These movies aren't going to win any awards, but they can make a family sit and laugh together. That's a good movie in my book.
February 7, 2012
1/31/15
Let's just be clear: Yes, I am an adult, and I enjoyed this movie. True, the plot went to the dogs in terms of sense, but those dogs managed to fetch lots of heart and a little drama. Greg Heffley (Zachary Gordon) has faced the first two years of middle school, and now we finally see him on summer vacation. While it moved briskly, there was a jumbled feeling to it, because it would seamfully cut from one scenario to another with little or no conclusion. Greg would be dealing with his dad, then his brother, then his dad. Negatives aside, Greg was as relatable as ever: We've all had those summers we wanted to be great, but everything kept backfiring on him. He receives the most development, while everyone else shows up, and then disappears. Everything on screen is there for a reason, but there is some obvious green-screening, regardless of whether or not you knew, you can tell. Edward Shearmer brings in the usual kind of score for these films, and pop music finds its place. It's not all music and noise when silence proves its effect in one part. The humor stays out of the dog house, and is front and center as always for these films. When you watch it, you'll be entertained, you'll feel like you know the main character, but you'll also crave something better written.
8/4/12
Diary of a Wimpy Kid's 3rd adaptation is a decent adaptation of the 3rd and 4th books. My problem with it is that there was too little of the third one, aside from the fear of being sent to Military School that Greg had because his dad saw what it did to that one boy who used to egg his house. The characters were very likable, even Rodrick, who was a total bleephole towards Greg. Some people might say that the jokes are cliche, but I swear I was laughing to death throughout the movie at certain points. I think that they could have still made the third and fourth books into SEPERATE movies instead of conjoining them since the actors would be too old for their roles. They should have done what Harry Potter did: Pick younger actors to grow into the role! In conclusion, I hope that next year's installment sticks purely to one book! (Not two or three)
December 1, 2013
its a cute movie I think if they make another one they need to make it a hit the books are very popular lets try to make the movies the same
September 20, 2013
I love the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies! Only children's movies I'll watch without apprehension. So funny!
May 4, 2012
Not bad, but not as good as the previous films. It's been fun watching Greg grow up along side his friends and classmates struggling through some funny and embarrassing mishaps.
½ January 18, 2013
I love the Wimpy Kid Series!!! Takes you back to the school days and I enjoy the ride! Too bad everyone has to age. Dont think they can make too many more. They will have beards soon and it wont be cute being wimpy anymore...
January 16, 2013
I realize I'm not the target audience for these movies, but the first one was absolutely adorable and I've tried to enjoy the ensuing series as much, but it just hasn't happened. This is by far my least favorite of these movies so far. It lacks the humor and cuteness that made the first one so much fun, and really there's not even much plot. I hope it doesn't get worse from here.
January 15, 2013
Compared to the previous installment: Rodrick Rules, this movie doesn't pull out on top. It still is hilarious, but there's not much emotional connections made as there was in the previous sequel with Rodrick and Greg. The bond chemistry between Greg and his Dad are not they great. A game changer in this sequel is the fact that the story takes place during Summer before Greg goes into 8th grade.
June 18, 2012
This was a cute movie like the first. I dig the wimpy series, the kid, his friend, his brother and especially the parents.
½ November 27, 2012
There is more of the same here although I was never repulsed by some of the humor in this third Wimpy Kid enstallment (sigh of relief). "Wimpy Kid" Greg Heffley finds himself without much to do at the beginning of summer and has to find ways to fill his schedule to avoid boring book clubs dreamed up by his mother or crazed outdoor adventures planned by his father. This story focuses more on Greg and two of his classmates as he spends most of the summer at the local country club sipping fruit smoothies and taking up tennis. I don't really understand the appeal of Greg as he comes across as quite self-centered; but he isn't as reprehensible as many teens in film today. He ends up having a moral compass at least. It might be a lot of "me, me, me" but he ends up thinking about others too. This is perfectly watchable family fare ... unlike so many other comedies aimed at this target audience.
½ August 21, 2012
I haven't laughed this hard at a movie in a very long time. A children's version of Napoleon Dynamite.