90% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Anders als die Andern (Different from the Others) Reviews

vieras e

July 12, 2007
It's a shame that only fragments - a mere third! - of this film have survived, not only because it seems like it would've been a good film, but also because this film has probably the first homosexual character ever written for cinema (Paul Körner played by the wonderful Conrad Veidt).
logged81
November 15, 2008
I am not going to say that this was a most entertaining movie, it was not. I did find it VERY enlightening.
April 25, 2008
Wow. One of the first films to ever address homosexuality - and of course Magnes Hirschfeld is involved (my favorite gay, Jewish, socialist sexologist!)
gillianren
February 14, 2007
No complete print of this film is known to exist. When the Nazis came to power, they destroyed as many copies as they could. This is why it was with considerable astonishment that I discovered that my local library has it on DVD.

This film was made, along with apparently more than a few others, to protest "Paragraph 175," mentioned elsewhere as being the paragraph that criminalized homosexuality. (Well, homosexual acts, which I suppose is a valid distinction. But since you basically commit sex acts or go celibate, and since very few of whatever orientation choose the latter, there you are. And in fact, the law could be interpreted to mean merely kissing or fondling!) These films all featured "sexologists," a term you just don't hear often enough these days, explains very patiently that there's nothing wrong with being gay, that a lot of major historical figures were gay, and that it's your own fool fault if you think there [i]is[/i] something wrong with it.

Sadly, though this film is about to turn 90, some people still don't seem to have gotten the point.

Our sexologist, whose name I don't recall, tells Drooly Wannabe-Girlfriend Girl to give it up; she's not going to "cure" Conrad Veidt's character, tortured violinist Paul Korner. He rails against the mindless prejudice represented by Paragraph 175. We actually see the blackmailer given free rein, because if Paul Korner turns him in, he gets to turn [i]him[/i] in on Paragraph 175 charges.

Which happens, naturally. But the sexologist testifies before the court, which says, in a nutshell, "You, blackmailer? You suck; four years in prison for you. You, tortured violinist? We'd like to let you off entirely, but the law won't let us; one week in prison for you!" (Judge Harry Stone would sentence him to $50 and time served.)

Of course, Korner becomes a total social outcast and ends up killing himself. But you knew that already, didn't you?