Dim Sum: A Little Bit of Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dim Sum: A Little Bit of Heart Reviews

January 2, 2013
The slow pacing causes tedium in an otherwise pleasant film.
½ February 21, 2014
good comedy & follow-up to 'chan is missing"
February 9, 2014
This movie is...fine? I guess? It's not bad. It's an early film by Wayne Wang, one of the few Hollywood directors to consistently take an interest in the lives of ordinary Chinese-American immigrants. (Actually, maybe he's the only one to really do that, and even then he doesn't do it all the time - he's also made indie films like Smoke and studio films like Maid in Manhattan and Last Holiday.) The movie seems like it's a fairly genuine depiction of Chinese-American immigrant life in San Francisco, but it's also not much more than that. The story focuses on Geraldine (Laureen Chew) a woman in her thirties who is still living with her very traditional mother (Kim Chew). Her mother keeps asking her when she's going to get married, but also seems to like having Geraldine around the house. There's also a cheerful older bartender (Victor Wong) who might want to marry the mother. That's sort of it. It's a movie of ordinary events and quiet observations. The cast seems like it consists entirely of nonprofessional actors - looking at the IMDB page, it seems like only one or two of them would ever make a career out of acting, and none of them had significant experience before this movie. It all feels very authentic, and probably is. But I don't feel especially moved or as if I've learned a whole lot from the movie. I'd only really recommend it if you're especially interested in depictions of immigrant life, or in the career of Wayne Wang. Otherwise, you can probably live without seeing it.
½ March 6, 2011
Acting.... Thumbs down
½ September 10, 2010
Victor Wong, like Paul Muni, only needed two films to earn a spot in my favorite actor list.
May 19, 2010
Perhaps I do not understand Chinese comedy. This movie was so slow and so boring, that my mom and I watched 25 minutes of it and nearly fell asleep.

I was terribly disappointed, because Victor Wong and Amy Hill played in it. They are two of my favorite actors.

Maybe it would have improved if we stuck it out longer, but it was physically impossible to do so.
January 15, 2010
One of those movies that's fun to watch even though there's pretty much no plot. Hard to pull off, but Wang does it here.
September 15, 2009
A gentle little American Indie from the mid 80s that bares very few of the visual 'trademarks' of the time, which is a compliment. Director Wayne Wang brings out the clear influence of Yashujiro Ozu, combining the legendary director's pace and Eastern sensibilities with the Western setting. Excellent to see Victor Wong in a lead role as well.
March 11, 2009
OK movie love asian movies
August 6, 2008
another excellent one from Wang
½ July 11, 2008
Just because this is one of the first movies I watched. With my late grandma and my mother at Cine-art House in Wanchai, already closed. Feel like Amy Tan's Joy Luck Club.
May 27, 2008
East meets West and ... no subtitles!