Dim Sum Funeral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dim Sum Funeral Reviews

July 27, 2010
I liked this movie. Through the circumstance of their mom's funeral, a Chinese-American family come together for the week-long traditional Chinese funeral. There is a lot to resolve - issues about the siblings relationships, and issues regarding their mother.
February 9, 2014
Dim Sum Funeral is a flawed, but very underrated dramedy about a family that is brought together after the death of their mother who demands a traditional Chinese funeral. While the drama and comedy aspects sometimes clash with one another, giving the film a bipolar and uneven tone sometimes, for the most part, it's a solid film about the troubled lives of each family member and how they are drawn back together through tragedy. It's not as polished as the likes of say, The Joy Luck Club, but Dim Sum Funeral is a very underrated film that is much better than its reputation would suggest.
½ June 22, 2010
Jaw-droppingly misguided in its blend of mawkish sentiment and comic relief. Like a Tyler Perry movie for Asians, only worse.
May 29, 2010
A Touching Emotional Film which was a Truly well done film. By far a well acted film too. 9 outta 10 Stars!!!
½ April 7, 2010
I just re-watched "Chan is Missing" and loved it! This new Wayne Wang film was really, really rotten though. The characters were pop-up, cartoon like and predictable. The acting was overly melodramatic and so "look at me emote!" that I couldn't watch the ending of the movie. I walked out of a Netflix theatre and I rarely do that. A complete wast of time.
½ January 20, 2010
Matriach of a chinese-american family dies and the estranged children come together for the funeral. Potential could have been there, but unfortunately theres no real pulling at the heart strings, not enough character development, no chemistry between the characters. Although, Bai Ling makes a fun appearance as the lesbian girlfriend of one of the daughters. Julia Nickson was a nice surprise also, she guest starred in Babylon 5 as the first commander's girlfriend.
½ December 30, 2009
As a Chinese born in America this movie was extremely touching to me. Its something that I can relate too. The actors were great and all the subtle touches were appreciated. I can really recommend this to people who want to learn more about the Asian experience in America.
½ September 5, 2009
I expected this to be a very good Chinese film. In general I enjoy Chinese movies, because they show us such an opposite rhythm of life from our western society and also a very different way of thinking. But this movie was none of that. There was bad acting, bad dialogue, and bad everything. From the beginning I felt like I was watching an U.S soup opera. Just an awful movie.
½ September 1, 2009
I was really shocked by all the bad reviews on here. Really shocked! I will say that I am not Chinese myself, so if part of the bad reviews are due to somehow being offended by the material (though I personally don't see why) then I cannot speak to that. However, I personally love movies which are able to blend drama with lots of humor. It isn't a dark comedy, no, but a light hearted drama, something I find much easier to swallow than the heavy handed stuff. So what is Dim Sum Funeral? To me, it comes across as a light hearted look at death and an affirmation of life. You have four siblings reuniting (we get the sense this has not happened in ages) upon the death of their mother. Each sibling has his or her own problems--one has lost a son and now struggles with her marriage, another is cheating on his wife and is struggling with his marriage too, another is a lesbian who wants to have a child, and the fourth, well, she seemed less visible to me. I know a critic on here said it was too 'melodramatic' and 'soap opera-ish.' Since when did it become a crime to have some melodrama? I find it a terrible cop-out to just say something is melodramatic as if that is a synonym for 'bad' without giving real reasons for either personally not liking a movie or finding it objectively bad. As for soap-opera-ish, maybe it is a tad bit, but again in a good way. But the acting is good, something most soaps can't claim, and the biggest resemblance to soaps is in the plot lines. This movie could easily be a long, detailed novel, exploring all the ins and outs of the family dynamics. But it is probably much more palatable and accessible in the format we have--a much shorter cinematic representation of a family coming together at long last. For what it is and what it tried to accomplish, I think it did quite well. Worth a watch if you are in the mood for good humor and only a mild dose of drama, all of which will leave you feeling a bit lighter and cheerier at the end.
August 5, 2009
Not so bad, reminds me of "Red Doors" but then again that is one of the few recent Chinese-American movies (well maybe besides "Ping Pong Playa" which was hilarious). Back on track, nothing outstanding but interesting nonetheless as we see the family dynamics of this very dysfunctional family. All of the characters are very distinct with their own problems giving them life. The movie is ultimately ruined by the ending which was rather lame.
June 22, 2009
Modern day version of "The Joy Luck Club"...er, wannabe that is. The only great thing about this movie was seeing Russell Wong on the silver screen again, but I was a bit disappointed to see a bit of paunch on the usually gorgeous Russell. This melodramedy-soap opera was rather pedantic and predictable with condescending rabid Chinese stereotypes which I blame on the script writer and not the actors, who are all major Asian American actors. For sure, the script had "Western" clarity of dialogue and the plot/reactions/emotional distance rang true with Chinese cultural brevity. I REALLY wanted to like this movie even though it had me in tears in a few scenes. Overall, this movie does aptly depict a realistic Chinese American family as many of the inter relationships are pretty similar to that of my own. Now allow me to digress....Russell Wong is 47? Say it ain't so! That watermelon scene is forever forged into my brain! Nonetheless, I'm glad I still went to see this movie to support APA films.
February 9, 2014
June 12, 2009
I am going to pass on this one.
October 23, 2012
very touching and funny
October 2, 2012
The whole time I kept thinking, "No wonder the US doesn't want to hire Chinese actors."
June 19, 2012
Super-simplistic and badly acted.
January 23, 2011
It's a bad sign when you find yourself paying more attention to the interesting Chinese furniture in every room. Who is the furniture's agent? I think this movie was the furniture's big break.
December 12, 2010
I really enjoyed this movie.
½ August 26, 2010
This movie was savaged by the critics yet I really enjoyed it. Except for Bai Ling, the cast was fantastic and it was great to see Talia Shire again. Call me sentimental but I cried at the end...
July 27, 2010