Dim Sum Funeral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dim Sum Funeral Reviews

February 9, 2014
Dim Sum Funeral is a flawed, but very underrated dramedy about a family that is brought together after the death of their mother who demands a traditional Chinese funeral. While the drama and comedy aspects sometimes clash with one another, giving the film a bipolar and uneven tone sometimes, for the most part, it's a solid film about the troubled lives of each family member and how they are drawn back together through tragedy. It's not as polished as the likes of say, The Joy Luck Club, but Dim Sum Funeral is a very underrated film that is much better than its reputation would suggest.
June 12, 2009
I am going to pass on this one.
October 2, 2012
The whole time I kept thinking, "No wonder the US doesn't want to hire Chinese actors."
June 19, 2012
Super-simplistic and badly acted.
December 12, 2010
I really enjoyed this movie.
July 27, 2010
I liked this movie. Through the circumstance of their mom's funeral, a Chinese-American family come together for the week-long traditional Chinese funeral. There is a lot to resolve - issues about the siblings relationships, and issues regarding their mother.
½ April 12, 2010
dysfunctional family-asian style!
great 2 see talia shire acting again!
April 12, 2010
Family Bonding, nice story plot... meaningful. Cherish before its too late.
½ April 7, 2010
I just re-watched "Chan is Missing" and loved it! This new Wayne Wang film was really, really rotten though. The characters were pop-up, cartoon like and predictable. The acting was overly melodramatic and so "look at me emote!" that I couldn't watch the ending of the movie. I walked out of a Netflix theatre and I rarely do that. A complete wast of time.
½ December 30, 2009
As a Chinese born in America this movie was extremely touching to me. Its something that I can relate too. The actors were great and all the subtle touches were appreciated. I can really recommend this to people who want to learn more about the Asian experience in America.
December 29, 2009
Worst acting I've ever seen in my life.
½ September 5, 2009
I expected this to be a very good Chinese film. In general I enjoy Chinese movies, because they show us such an opposite rhythm of life from our western society and also a very different way of thinking. But this movie was none of that. There was bad acting, bad dialogue, and bad everything. From the beginning I felt like I was watching an U.S soup opera. Just an awful movie.
½ September 1, 2009
I was really shocked by all the bad reviews on here. Really shocked! I will say that I am not Chinese myself, so if part of the bad reviews are due to somehow being offended by the material (though I personally don't see why) then I cannot speak to that. However, I personally love movies which are able to blend drama with lots of humor. It isn't a dark comedy, no, but a light hearted drama, something I find much easier to swallow than the heavy handed stuff. So what is Dim Sum Funeral? To me, it comes across as a light hearted look at death and an affirmation of life. You have four siblings reuniting (we get the sense this has not happened in ages) upon the death of their mother. Each sibling has his or her own problems--one has lost a son and now struggles with her marriage, another is cheating on his wife and is struggling with his marriage too, another is a lesbian who wants to have a child, and the fourth, well, she seemed less visible to me. I know a critic on here said it was too 'melodramatic' and 'soap opera-ish.' Since when did it become a crime to have some melodrama? I find it a terrible cop-out to just say something is melodramatic as if that is a synonym for 'bad' without giving real reasons for either personally not liking a movie or finding it objectively bad. As for soap-opera-ish, maybe it is a tad bit, but again in a good way. But the acting is good, something most soaps can't claim, and the biggest resemblance to soaps is in the plot lines. This movie could easily be a long, detailed novel, exploring all the ins and outs of the family dynamics. But it is probably much more palatable and accessible in the format we have--a much shorter cinematic representation of a family coming together at long last. For what it is and what it tried to accomplish, I think it did quite well. Worth a watch if you are in the mood for good humor and only a mild dose of drama, all of which will leave you feeling a bit lighter and cheerier at the end.
July 26, 2009
I really enjoyed this movie. The ending was a little lame but well acted and good dialogue.