Patrick Swayze Diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer

Actor's agent partially confirms Enquirer story.

Patrick Swayze, star of such hit films as Dirty Dancing, Ghost, and Road House, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

The story -- which was broken, inexplicably, by the National Enquirer -- initially reported that Swayze had five weeks to live, but according to a statement released by his agent, things aren't quite as grim as previously believed:

Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is currently undergoing treatment. Patrick's physician Dr. George Fisher states, 'Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic.' Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects. The outpouring of support and concern he has already received from the public is deeply appreciated by Patrick and his family.

Survival rates for pancreatic cancer -- which is diagnosed in approximately 33,000 Americans every year -- are generally rather low, but if anyone can beat it, it's the guy who played Dalton in Road House. Keep your fingers crossed for Mr. Swayze and his family.

Comments

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

First!

Just kidding, comments were accidentally turned off. Commence discussing!

Mar 7 - 10:43 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Wow, Continuing with his normal schedule. That's hardcore, though I thought he'd be bigger.

Mar 7 - 11:25 AM

Ryze

Thomas Kimes

Nobody puts Patrick in the corner!!!

j/k

I hope they caught it early enough.

Mar 7 - 12:06 PM

Dane Cook is NOT Funny

Jennifer K

WOW, that's so sad, but goes to show that being in good shape doesn't matter at all!! I'll stick to beer drinking and smoking. Screw health and exercise.

Wish him all the best. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Mar 7 - 01:52 PM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

Best wishes to he and his family.

Mar 7 - 04:41 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

poor patrick, I hope he does manage to beat this sickness...I know

i'll be praying for you, mr. swayze to get better as soon as possible!!

Mar 7 - 11:11 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Wow, shocked by the lack of love for Dalton! This guy was in some pretty good movies when especially when I was growing up. Where's the love man where's the love?

Mar 9 - 12:49 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Where indeed. But me thinks, me hopes, that Patrick will pull through. If anyone can, it's The Swayze. You hear everyday, stories about people overcoming life threatening sicknesses with the power of thought, faith, and determination. My money will always be on that over any prognosis, no matter how seemingly bleak. After all, look at what Magic's overcome.

Mar 9 - 09:47 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Mar 9 - 09:47 AM

stigmatic

First Last

Best of luck miho! Tell that cancer it's your way or the highway!!

Mar 9 - 09:58 PM

roxy1968

Tirath Cane

Hi, Patrick Swayze, I'm so sad to miss you, I hope you are getting better soon keep trying hard?

Mar 20 - 05:41 AM