63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Disaster Zone: Volcano in New York Reviews

Red L

September 29, 2009
This is a really hokey movie. I wasn't impressed with the camera work, the special effects or even the whole story-line.
FilmGrinder S.
July 24, 2012
"I know what drives the world..."-Levering (Michael Ironside)

And it is not this movie. Watch VOLCANO instead.
July 11, 2012
Rating with stars is sometimes difficult to do. For example, the hyper-realistic shaky cam deserved 5-stars for effort and persistence. Even after it was old and frustratingly annoying to watch a movie with a shaky cam, the director persisted in this bizarre artistic choice and never once thought of abandoning it. And for that I wanted to give the 5 stars, but because of the complete lack of logical motivations of the Michael Ironside character I was forced to give a half star. Nothing in this character is reasonable, realistic, or normal. But maybe the director wanted to make a scientist wanting to make clean unlimited energy into a psychopath. Maybe all scientists are psychopaths, I don't know but it seems like a good topic t explore. I must say the acting was appropriately hammy with amazing bits of speech mingled in for laughs. As a comedy this is worth the purchase, but for those with a stoic sense of humor give this a pass.
Sandman1968
December 8, 2011
The makers of "Disaster Zone" were smart enough to distance their pathetic made-for-television movie from two two big-budgeted theatrical volcano movies from about a decade ago, but the film is still an obvious rip-off of the Tommy Lee Jones starrer "Volcano". Substitute New York for Los Angeles and subtract all of the talent in front of and behind the camera and the films are virtually identical.
The special effects are sparse, which is probably a good thing since they're so amateurish, and the script is very rudimentary. Forgoing the Mother Nature explanation of the previous lava epics, the screenwriters have come up with this silly mad scientist plot that just doesn't work. Making matters even worse, the scientist is played by a haggard-looking Michael Ironside, proving that his villainous days are surely behind him.
Even worse is Costas Mandylor, totally monotone and completely without personality, in the lead role. His shot at big movie stardom lasted one movie in 1991, and when "Mobsters" tanked, so did his career. You'd think he'd at least show some life in just just because he's grateful to be working at all, but no such luck.
The movie plods along at a snail's pace, and it takes itself so seriously that it isn't even fun as a guilty pleasure. It's just dull, boring and unpleasant to look at. It's poorly cast, poorly written and lazy. "Disaster Zone" is a TV-movie but that isn't an excuse to not even try. It's a pale imitation of a lot of other better movies, and there's no reason to watch it.
July 14, 2011
Combined with laughable special effects, yet has believable acting; Disaster Zone is watchable, but can barely be called a masterpiece.
jazza923
November 2, 2006
I don't know why I keep renting these awful disaster flicks. I suppose in a way, I think they are funny. This one is worse than usual, the special effects are very poor, the acting rather lame. Way too much talk, not enough disaster. Awful.