The Dish Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
½ January 17, 2008
i liked it! its a nice little cute movie thats amausing in places and quite good fun movie that leaves you happy, and of course sam neill looks gorgeous as ever!!
its about the landing on the moon of neil armstrong but its about the dish that broadcasted the pictures to earth based on true events and based in australia!
A nice movie to watch light heartedly!!
TomBowler
January 28, 2010
Fantastic Aussie film. Full review later
September 23, 2009
Not as good as I?d hoped, it?s a brilliant true story, poorly executed.
thmtsang
½ January 31, 2009
Based on a true story Sam Neill and his team in Australia are responsible for beaming the image of Neil Armstrong's moon landing around the world.
deano
February 20, 2007
Very good comedy-drama story of the receiving dish in Parkes, NSW that celebrates this great achievement and the Aussie battlers that made this monumental telecast possible.
June 14, 2008
How much you like this film will depend on how much you like custard. Now, custard is all very well - I've nothing against it, but not many people will list it as their favourite food. Sure it's great with vanilla or banana slices, but on its own it's simply "alright". What I'm trying to say is that this film also is very "alright", but instead of simply saying this film is "alright", I thought it better to use a custard analogy to get my point across..
DrLappos
½ September 9, 2007
Really enjoyable film....
FanGirl
June 21, 2006
I'm not sure why I love this movie so much, but I do. It's Australian, it's quiet, and it's brillantly subtle.
½ April 21, 2008
A slow but steady drama with an outstanding cast and wonderful script. A unique and lovely look at the 1969 lunar landing.
July 24, 2007
I seem to have an attraction this week to 1960s US government-based stories being dramatised on celluloid. Following my review elsewhere on the site of "Thirteen Days", we now take a peak into the unlikely story of a small rural town in Australia which gained noteriety for beaming the pictures of Neil Armstrong on the moon in 1969.

When NASA come knocking, Mayor Bob McIntyre (Billing) is proud to announce that the world's most capable satellite dish, located in his Australian district of Parkes, will be relied upon to beam pictures of the future moonwalk around the world. The momentous task of making everything go smoothly falls to the dish site-manager, Cliff Buxton (Neill - "Jurassic Park", "The Piano", "In the Mouth of Madness"), crabby technician Mitch (Harrington) and timid mathematical scientist, Glenn (Long). Looking over their shoulder is thorough NASA representative, Al (Warburton - "Scream 3", TVs "Seinfeld"), and his attention to detail is met with resistance by Mitch.

Simmering in the background, are the personal relationships that only serve as mild distractions from the main story. Nervous Glenn can't see that pretty local girl Janine (Eliza Szonert - played Danni in Aussie soap "Neighbours") is waiting to be asked out as they play a familiar game of 'you make the first move'. Meanwhile, Cliff's pensive mention of his wife alludes to a deeper story while Mitch and Al pursue a heated battle for control and influence.

When technical problems, both man-made and caused by forces of nature, are poised to destabilise the project, it becomes clear that to the folks in Parkes the actual moonwalk takes a backseat in importance to the town's ability to show it to the world. This lends an amiable charm to a weighty moment in mankind's history, showing us that behind the unfathomable science involved in space travel, is something a little more human and down to earth.
We take this moon walk seriously you know!

The danger in regional comedies like this is that some characters will be presented with a far more pronounced stereotype than is required, leading the viewer to feel little sytmpathy and maybe general apathy to certain parts of the plot. That is not the case in "The Dish", with even the excitable Mayor McIntyre coming across as an honest and hard-working man who is fully deserving of his day in the sun. Neill plays Cliff Buxton wonderfully. Never imagining himself being part of something as large as this, Cliff takes it in his stride until the moment he realises that it might all be going wrong. He then realises that the whole undertaking is actually more important to him than he thought.

Melbourne-born Sitch directs as you might expect - a man comfortable in his surroundings, and familiar with the materials at his disposal. The script is light but entertaining, and although some angles are over-played (check out the dish security guard, Rudi, who acts like he is in the CIA), the strong mixture of humour and character make this a worth watch.
½ May 7, 2007
I really liked this movie. I thought it was sweet, funny, all the stories intertweined nicely. It was great. The acting was fantastic, I completely enjoyed this movie. Also, the dish itself is really cool.
June 5, 2006
Sam Neil and Patrick Warburton lead in this movie, followed by a cast of no ones, still this movie is solid and it has it's funny moments. If you want to borrow let me know
½ June 9, 2015
funny and very Aussi
½ March 8, 2015
A filmI watch again and again. It is SO funny
½ January 29, 2015
Great performances from the cast and an emotional kick that you can't escape. Full review later.
Robbanflix
July 24, 2009
A true story based movie about an event which celebrates its 40 years now actually .. Apollo 11 and the first steps on the moon.. This is a subject i find pretty interesting and movies about space etc.. have always been rather good actually for the most time. This movie follows the story of a huge remote antenna settled in Australia and it was a very important one for the communications for the spaceflight. The movie focus much on the small group which must control the dish. Sam Neill is one of the more famous actors starring in this flick. Its rated as comedy/drama or lighthearted drama which i like to call this genre. Its a decent movie all in all and well made but perhaps not quite one of the typical space movies i want to see. But its always interesting if you like this subject and then you will probably enjoy a solid movie in the end.
October 26, 2014
While it's characters and story are wonky at times, it has a lot of heart and very funny moments.
½ September 6, 2014
The movie never strays from the story it's trying to tell.
January 23, 2014
Wonderful stuff from all the cast especially Roy Billing.Just seen it again and loved it.
July 19, 2014
I really enjoyed this movie, I was a kid and was allowed to stay up to watch the moon landing! I do not know how much of the screenplay was true, maybe the local band really did not know the American National Anthem!