Disturbing Behavior Reviews

November 11, 2011
Nothing more than a guilty pleasure. Plus James Marsden was so hot at 22.
½ February 27, 2009
One of the many teen horror movies to come out after the popularity of Scream. It was ok but nothing memorable.
½ December 31, 2006
This is a cool teen thriller. Suprised it's not more well know as I only saw it through a recommendation. It's good fun if predictable. Very similar to The Faculty and with a strong cast.
November 29, 2006
Freakish and thriller with a terrifying way to turn its rebellious teens into model citizens - weird!
½ October 28, 2013
According to science fiction horror films, high school is one of the most unsafe places when it comes to invasions of any kind, alien or other. "Disturbing Behavior" is an interesting concept with a real life allegory at play; we all know teenagers can be unruly, so let's lobotomize them and make them robots. James Marsden plays the fish-out-of-water, Steve Clark, who steps into a new high school filled with the normal geek-jock-stoner separation. Led by Gavin (Nick Stahl) and Rachel (Katie Holmes), Steve isn't buying into Gavin's raving notions that the jocks are being controlled by a higher force. Of course it takes losing Gavin to the dark side to make Steve realize the error of his ways. Sadly, this film is outdone by fellow teen horror film "The Faculty" oddly of the same year, which uses "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" as its starting off material. With a much better cast and way tenser moments, "The Faculty" overcomes its teenager angst and became a cult classic, while "Disturbing Behavior" is somewhat forgettable. With a young Katie Holmes to drive it home and enough thrills to keep it watchable, the film will always be a reminder of 90's teen horror, but apart from that, falls to the wayside of much better examples.
Angel G.
May 22, 2013
Not great, but entertaining and tense for what it was. "Disturbing Behavior" benefits from its interesting plot, some creepy scenes, its ideas and strong performances from James Marsden and Katie Holmes. Its just entertaining teen thriller, nothing special really. However, William Sadler steals the show as the janitor, he's funny and was perfect for the role. Wont be a classic but its suspenseful fun that you can find in Netflix.
November 21, 2010
"Hey Teacher! Leave those kids alone!"

A handsome young student Steven (James Marsden) who is still suffering from the untimely death of his older brother and his family have just moved from Chicago to an idyllic village in the northwest. As he starts school, Steve finds the usual cliques, the strangest being a group called "the Blue Ribbons;" they're the handsomest jocks and most beautiful co-eds and seem perfect but have a bad habit of beating people up - and getting away with it. Steve is befriended by a stoner (Nick Stahl) and a punk girl (Katie Holmes) who shares his suspicions about the Blue Ribbons. Once the three realize the reason for the abrupt behavior changes, they must find a way to stop
it, before they are next.
December 21, 2007
I'm sure that when first released in 1998 this movie was just merely awful; now, however, it has the added value of being awfully dated.
September 21, 2008
The movie was ok! Just some weird happenings with Students that are making them elite in some sinister way to unruly teens. Kept me guessing throughout the whole movie, but in the end it was cool.
½ July 9, 2008
Nice premise and the movie looked good enough visually. But, as the curse of all teen-centered casts, this movie fails due to B-grade acting.
February 20, 2008
this movie was way cool and kinda had katie holmes fresh from her dawson creek fame as a kinda bad girl, something i would klike to see more from her in the future
½ May 16, 2007
Nice little indie-ish thriller.
December 2, 2013
A film that in my view was highly underrated when it came out in 1998. I think the reviews were bad because the film was basically over the heads of the mass public. The performances are good & the plot is all a bunch of metaphors for life. Basically the establishment in a conservative town tries to remake the troubled kids into right-wing loonies via the use of computerized type labotimies. This is all done in the name of the "greater good" for them. Of course it is all part of some extreme conspiracy, but the film is still very good.
The film definitely has something to say about our post-consumerist culture in the late 1990's which lead us to where we are at now in our cultural malaise. It is about society's obsession with perfection, narcissism, & very shallow values. I also see the metaphor for cultural & media brainwashing in the film, where people who claim to have all the "answers" lead other unsuspecting dopes down the "primrose" path to destruction. The popular kids are all rich, conservative, & perfect. There is no room for independent thought where in my view our nation is already at. Happiness defined by money & a list of unnumbered wants & needs created by the consumerist crowd. The film is better than a lot of these kinds of films that came out in the late 1990's. I also thought it was a better film than the "Stepford Wives" which it has been compared to. The film is underrated but still very good with a large deeper meaning & way ahead of its time.
March 21, 2013
This has to be one of the most forgettable movies of the 90's. Does it suck? Mostly. Maybe it's that "Got You Where I Want You" song that I have a soft spot for and I'm not even sure why I even kind of like that song. I don't recall why I saw this as it looked bad in 98 yet I still watched it and recalled thinking that while it wasn;t very good it wasn't as bad as what I thought it would be. But this is entirely forgettable and even as I rated this before I wrote this I even forgot that I gave it a star rating. Maybe I was a victim of a mind wash like the teens in this. Wasn't that the plot? Teens being brainwashed? Still I have no desire to see this again.
February 11, 2010
welcome to steve clark's life after moving to cradle bay after the death of his older brother steve's family decides to move somewhere else disturbing behavior tells the story of a teenager named steve clark who which his family decide to move to a small town called cradle bay which then during school steve meets gavin and gavin's friend U.V which then we meet the usual high school kids which then we meet the blue ribbions who are which the unusual out of the bunch but then we find out why the blue ribbions are unusual very unusual which first they had acted like everybody else which then when they went to high school the school had brain washed them by the simplest things like for example bake sales which the secret ingredient of the treats are brainwashing develpoment which turns them into the blue ribbions AKA the goody goddy bastards of high school even though disturbing behavior acts like the faculty which ahd came out in the same year disturbing behavior is a great teen horror film highly recommended for any horror a great horror film hidden gem highly recommended when the film had came out on july 24th 1998 the film had opened at #7 because of the highest grossing film of 1998 tom hank's war epic saving private ryan highly recommended a great horror film.
starring:james marsden (the X-men triology) katie holmes (tv's dawson's creek teaching mrs. tingle the gift batman begins and phone booth) nick stahl (the man without a face mirrors 2 teriminator 3:rise of the machines and the thin red line) steve railsback bruce greenwood (rules of engagment and eight below) william sadler AKA bill sadler (die hard 2:die harder bill and ted's bogus journey tv's tales from the crypt tales from the crypt presents:demon knight tales from the crypt presents:bordello of blood and the mist) chad E. donella (final destination and saw:the final chapter) ethan embry (can't hardly wait we were soldiers and wes craven presents:they) and katharine isabelle (ginger snaps 1-3 and bones).
release date:july 24th 1998
film's rating:R for strong horror violence disturbing images brief nudity and language.
directed by:david nutter (director of the X-files).
½ May 18, 2010
A neat idea and fairly well executed, as far as teenage horror flicks go. I think it deserves more credit than it has received.
½ September 5, 2009
Disturbing Behavior is an urban high school thriller with a dark, silently corrupt storyline. With it's gloomy and dangerous theme, the film plays like a better version of The Faculty; where the students are not possessed, but rather brain-washed into a conservative, but predator-like individual to those not like them. James Marsden, Katie Holmes and Nick Stahl give great performances as fellow students that expose the corrupt ideals these other students so casually put forth. Disturbing Behavior is a well-written and entertaining film.
½ November 20, 2009
My girlfriend, hmhmmmm, won this movie on ebay eventhough B movie was practically written on the cover... Not amidst the worst I've ever seen but lame non-the-less
½ April 20, 2009
Kind of a weird storyline, but I love it. Katie Holmes looks very good in a very different role from "Joey Potter" (Dawson's Creek).
July 5, 2008
Disturbing Behavior takes place in a small town in the San Juan Islands of northern Washington State. Its high school is full of your typical cliques: the stoners, the gearheads, the nerds?and the Blue Ribbons. They are the epitome of good behavior. They excel in their classes and sports, and are model citizens. That's what makes them so creepy. A new kid, Steve (James Mardsen) is befriended by two of the kids who don't easily fit into the other groups: the paranoid Gavin (Nick Stahl) and Rachel (Katie Holmes) Gavin is worried that there are sinister forces at work in Cradle Bay, and the entire problem seems to lead back to the school counselor, Dr. Caldicott (Bruce Greenwood). Gavin's friends humor his delusions until one night he is transformed from his druggy, underachieving self into a member of the Blue Ribbons. It's at that point that Steve and Rachel realize that there really is something amiss, and try to unravel Caldicott's machinations while avoiding the zombified state of the Blue Ribbons. The performances are better than the average horror film. Nick Stahl and Bruce Greenwood are the standouts of the film, although Holmes hones her natural talent to some degree. Disturbing Behavior is a promisingly better film than most of the other abovementioned contemporary teen horror films, which really ended up being not much more than 1980s slasher films with studio budgets. There?s some deft characterizations and sharply cynical writing.