Critics Consensus: Divergent Disappoints
Plus, Muppets Most Wanted is Certified Fresh.
Also opening this week in limited release:
- The Oscar-nominated The Missing Picture, a documentary that utilizes clay figurines to tell the story of the Khmer Rouge's reign of terror in Cambodia, is Certified Fresh at 98 percent.
- Cheap Thrills, starring Ethan Embry in a comedy about a down-on-his-luck guy who accepts a series of outrageous dares from a mysterious couple, is at 97 percent (also, check out co-star David Koechner's Five Favorite Films).
- Jodorowsky's Dune, a documentary on the cult director's ambitious (but unrealized) attempt to craft a sci-fi masterpiece, is at 96 percent.
- A Birder's Guide To Everything, starring Ben Kingsley and Kodi Smit-McPhee in a comedy about a 15-year-old bird watching fanatic who goes on a quest to find a supposedly extinct duck, is at 90 percent.
- It Felt Like Love, a coming-of-age drama about a teenage girl who romantically pursues a tough older guy, is at 83 percent.
- Rob the Mob, starring Michael Pitt and Andy Garcia in a dramedy about a couple of small-time crooks who smake a living stealing from members of the mafia, is at 80 percent.
- Lars von Trier's Nymphomaniac: Volume I, starring Charlotte Gainsbourg and Shia LaBeouf in a drama about a sex-obsessed woman who tells her life story to a stranger, is Certified Fresh at 76 percent.
- The French Minister, a comedy about a young speechwriter who must keep a scatterbrained foreign minister on task, is at 58 percent.
- Blood Ties, starring Clive Owen and Billy Crudup in a drama about two brothers on opposite sides of the law, is at 57 percent.
- Anita, a documentary about the woman who testified that future Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas sexually harassed her, is at 56 percent.
- Just a Sigh, starring Gabriel Byrne and Emmanuelle Devos in a dramedy about a woman whose life is upended when she meets a mysterious stranger, is at 14 percent.
- Maladies, starring James Franco and Catherine Keener in a drama about a down-and-out soap star looking to regain his mojo, is at 13 percent.
- Stay, starring Taylor Schilling and Aidan Quinn as a couple whose relationship is tested while vacationing in rural Ireland, is at 10 percent.
- McCanick, starring David Morse and Cory Monteith in a thriller about a detective who goes gunning for a convict who's just been released from prison, is at 9 percent.
Finally, props to Vicente Torres and Nat Brautigam for coming the closest to guessing The Single Moms Club's 17 percent Tomatometer.