Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood Reviews

sanjurosamurai
December 2, 2007
this was a waste of time. it was well acted, but it was one of the slowest moving films i have ever seen.
½ January 31, 2007
Jumbled movie about people you have a hard time liking.
deano
½ November 29, 2006
All female cast stars are fabulous and funny.
½ April 21, 2007
Very good movie. The costumes were very realistic, the acting was awesome, and it truly felt like it captured friendship.
January 31, 2008
Maggie Smith has a southern accent. I watched it for that and that's why it gets a star.
qtmemoe
July 24, 2007
I personally think that Ashley judd sucks & giving her such a role just ruined it...
April 30, 2015
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood is overacted by its performers and is too serious to be a comedy.
May 13, 2015
When a woman discusses her challenging childhood during a interview, the door is opened for full disclosure with her difficult mother. Uneven, and not very convincing, this dramedy lacks the sincerity and depth of true emotion that the material requires.
½ April 2, 2015
A portrait of a seemingly normal southern family, Divine Secrets digs deep into the psyche of troubled Siddha and her tumultuous relationship with her Southern Belle mother.
April 21, 2013
It wasn't as bad as it could have been for a movie my girlfriend forced me to watch at 11:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning.
½ January 22, 2013
Its a well-known secret that seeing this movie - if you're a male - will actually make your testicles "jump ship" and believe me, they will never write.
December 20, 2012
I was utterly confused the whole time. I probably need to watch it a second time to get an accurate decision on its quality.
½ November 9, 2012
Psycho Mama and the Kiddie Slave Story. Special Effects included: Auntie Mame Scene; Southern Hospitality; Black Maid Humiliation; Food Fight; Garden Party; Women in Underwear; Birthday Parties; Ring; Marital Fight; Ring of Sparklers; Pajama Party; Colorful Head Scarfs; Lake Swimming Party; Barf Party; A Church Confession; Slave Whipping; Drugs, Eating Disorder; Sunglasses; Vintage Airplane Ride; Lace Dresses; Fire Extinguisher Birthday Cake; Candle Ceremonies; and Funky Hats.
September 9, 2012
So horrible I couldn't finish it. The book was fantastic and is now one of my favorite reads, and the movie does it no justice. Overacting and the comedy it tries to be just does not work.
June 1, 2007
Vivi: I'll knock you into the middle of next week.
Teensy: And I'll kick your sorry ass on Thursday.
½ January 23, 2012
So upon remembering someone saying this was a good movie, and seeing that Maggie Smith was in it, (with a southern accent!) i had to press play. Ya-Ya is an overall heartwarming mother daughter story. But don't let the cute sisterhood thing fool you. The journey into Vivie's (the mother's past) is a dark and intense one, but her friends were there for her the entire time. A tad slow at times, but overall, a rather engaging movie. Sandra Bullock is great as Sidda, and she blends in well and doesn't fall behind amidst a much more veteran cast. Maggie Smith...I love that woman. Enough said. A surprisingly poignant performance by Ashley Judd as the younger Vivie. She had an immensely difficult role to play, playing all of the difficult times Vivie endured. I won't tell you what they are, because once you finally find out, it makes the movie that much more heart wrenching. But overall, a good movie. Women, watch it with your mother. It will make you love her so much more :)
½ July 10, 2008
This is not really a true chick flick, but that does not mean it is a winner. It is different because is more of a mother-daughter film and it is darker and more dysfunctional than a typical romantic chick flick. The movie is a forced reconciliation between a mother and a daughter, which could have worked, but the route they take to get there, the sisterhood club element, and some of the unpleasant flashbacks did not work so well. The cast is strong and I thought it was the strongest aspect of the movie. Sandra Bullock and Ashley Judd and all of the older ladies worked quite well. I just wish more time went to telling their story and developing their character than the present day scenes. I will admit that it is not all bad; there are a few laughs to be had and a few moments to make you go, aw.
October 11, 2011
The older women of this film were great and so was the ideal, while the rest of the film fell short.
October 27, 2010
I LOVE the book deeply, and couldn't force myself to watch this movie until several years after I had read the book. The film fails to capture the depth of the characters, the extent of their relationship, and even changes some of the most poignant and lasting scenes in the book for something more "watchable" or entertaining. Seriously, take the time to read the book instead of watching this.
June 11, 2010
In my journey to watch all of Sandra Bullock's movies, I ran across this one. My wife and daughter loved it. I, on the other hand, couldn't fathom the point. The acting is wonderful, but the story and pacing are so slow I was a bit bored. I found the "big secret" anticlimatic. Wife and daughter cried. Definitely a chick flick.