Which writer-director is better: Quentin Tarantino or Christopher Nolan?

Let me start by saying these two filmmakers are both amazing in their own ways and aspects. Let's get a TALLY going!
Tom S.
12-19-2012 01:16 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Darko P.

Darko Paligoric

At first, question like that sounded a bit silly to me (a lot actually)... An it kind of is, Tarantino is better hands down, but it's interesting that even though films made by these two directors are diferent in tone, theme, style... pretty much everything, except for non-finear structure, but are also really alike.

Tarantino's films are all classics, he isn't called 'savior of the modern cinema' by many for no reason. He is still one of very few that keep the good old tradition of making movies, glorifies good old classics and introduces audiences to the films they never heard before... His Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction influenced a whole new generation of film makers (including Nolan), broke industry standards and rules... Tarantino changed the film industry forever.

Nolan is yet to prove himself and a long career is in front of him. But a lot of the same thing you can say about him too. We can very well say that movies like The Dark Knight and Inception are classics, it is early but we all see that they have potential to reach that cult status. On the other hand, he made movies like Memento and The Prestige that didn't reach mainstream audiences but aged very well as time passes they get more attention. Like Tarantino, he also fills seats in theaters while glorifying classic art-house films. When you get down to it, Nolan's movies are art-house films masked to appear like blockbuster hits. Films that prove that you don't have to make dumb movies to earn lots of money. Nolan, like Tarantino, also shoots in 35mm film, keeping the good old tradition of film-making. And, this is mine speculation, I'm sure a whole new generation will be influenced by the works of Christopher Nolan.

Even though i enjoyed all of his films (some even strait out love), i have to chose Tarantino over him. The thing is, Nolan repeats himself an often lot. None linear timeline, plot twists... and all of them feature emotion vs reason battle where the characters that embody emotional values instead of reason get punished in some way or another. It's not a bad thing, but your characters don't have to be emotionless. On the other hand, Tarantino did it all in some way or another. he is the one with greater knowledge of film history and film in general, had experimented way much more, when you spot a Tarantino movie you know it's his because of unique voice that he developed early on. While Nolan films are only as good as the movies they're inspired by, Tarantino improved on those films. Inception borrows a lot from Paprika and Last Year at Marienbad... Last Year at Marienbad is light-year better then Inception. Memento and Following take only small parts form other movies but have a lot of originality in them, you can see how Pulp Fiction effected both movies. While Reservoir Dogs is far more better film than The Killing, Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained are light-years better then Inglorious Bastards and Django... And films like Kill Bill and Death proof, take some of the best bits from exploitation movies of 70s, samurai movies, kung fu movies... And Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown are... genius.

Tarantino's films are set in his Tarantino universe where all the nonsensical stuff has sense by the logic of that world, that makes for interesting things that you can get only in film where Nolan insists on real world feel, which is not bad but it leaves very little room open and thus Nolan movies can get flawed. And the thing is, if The Dark Knight wasn't such a success, we wouldn't be having this debate in the first place. TDK was really thought provoking film, but is way too over rated. The same can be said for Nolan too. I'm more looking forward to what he is going to do 5-6 years from now, when dust settles a little on TDK. About Pulp Fiction i can talk on and on about, what it all mean and how can it be interpreted. In never spells out what it is or what's it trying to say. If you look for it, it's there, but you can have a hell of good time by not looking for it (what ever it is). While Nolan tends to sell his points out. Nolan is great, but Tarantino is the master. Although, i's have to pick a film-maker of that generation... I'd pick Paul Thomas Anderson.

Feb 24 - 07:32 PM

Darko P.

Darko Paligoric

At first, question like that sounded a bit silly to me (a lot actually)... An it kind of is, Tarantino is better no hands down, but it's interesting that even though films made by these two directors are diferent in tone, theme, style... pretty much everything, except for non-finear structure, but are also really alike.

Tarantino's films are all classics, he isn't called 'savior of the modern cinema' by many for no reason. He is still one of very few that keep the good old tradition of making movies, glorifies good old classics and introduces audiences to the films they never heard before... His Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction influenced a whole new generation of film makers (including Nolan), broke industry standards and rules... Tarantino changed the film industry forever.

Nolan is yet to prove himself and a long career is in front of him. But a lot of the same thing you can say about him too. We can very well say that movies like The Dark Knight and Inception are classics, it is early but we all see that they have potential to reach that cult status. On the other hand, he made movies like Memento and The Prestige that didn't reach mainstream audiences but aged very well as time passes they get more attention. Like Tarantino, he also fills seats in theaters while glorifying classic art-house films. When you get down to it, Nolan's movies are art-house films masked to appear like blockbuster hits. Films that prove that you don't have to make dumb movies to earn lots of money. Nolan, like Tarantino, also shoots in 35mm film, keeping the good old tradition of film-making. And, this is mine speculation, I'm sure a whole new generation will be influenced by the works of Christopher Nolan.

Even though i enjoyed all of his films (some even strait out love), i have to chose Tarantino over him. The thing is, Nolan repeats himself an often lot. None linear timeline, plot twists... and all of them feature emotion vs reason battle where the characters that embody emotional values instead of reason get punished in some way or another. It's not a bad thing, but your characters don't have to be emotionless. On the other hand, Tarantino did it all in some way or another. he is the one with greater knowledge of film history and film in general, had experimented way much more, when you spot a Tarantino movie you know it's his because of unique voice that he developed early on. While Nolan films are only as good as the movies they're inspired by, Tarantino improved on those films. Inception borrows a lot from Paprika and Last Year at Marienbad... Last Year at Marienbad is light-year better then Inception. Memento and Following take only small parts form other movies but have a lot of originality in them, you can see how Pulp Fiction effected both movies. While Reservoir Dogs is far more better film than The Killing, Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained are light-years better then Inglorious Bastards and Django... And films like Kill Bill and Death proof, take some of the best bits from exploitation movies of 70s, samurai movies, kung fu movies... And Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown are... genius.

Tarantino's films are set in his Tarantino universe where all the nonsensical stuff has sense by the logic of that world, that makes for interesting things that you can get only in film where Nolan insists on real world feel, which is not bad but it leaves very little room open and thus Nolan movies can get flawed. And the thing is, if The Dark Knight wasn't such a success, we wouldn't be having this debate in the first place. TDK was really thought provoking film, but is way too over rated. The same can be said for Nolan too. I'm more looking forward to what he is going to do 5-6 years from now, when dust settles a little on TDK. About Pulp Fiction i can talk on and on about, what it all mean and how can it be interpreted. In never spells out what it is or what's it trying to say. If you look for it, it's there, but you can have a hell of good time by not looking for it (what ever it is). While Nolan tends to sell his points out. Nolan is great, but Tarantino is the master. Although, i's have to pick a film-maker of that generation... I'd pick Paul Thomas Anderson.

Feb 24 - 07:31 PM

Baqar Andghuladze

Baqar Andghuladze

The main difference between these two guys is that Tarantino is GENIUS, while Nolan tries to impress his fans by his visual effects and he has created only one memorable character so far (Joker). And even this character isn't completely created by him. It existed before. He only made better version of one. Quentin Tarantino has better scripts, better sense of humor and of course soundtracks. I can't even feel soundtrack in Nolan's movies. And I think it's obvious than QT is much much much better

Oct 9 - 11:56 AM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

But in the end, it all comes down to "taste".

Aug 27 - 09:11 PM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

I have to say Nolan, his movies are actually thoughtful and entertaining at the same time, Tarantino, I have to say, his only films I've enjoyed so far were Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained, I have yet to see Pulp Fiction, Pulp Fiction seems the most promising out of all his films.

Aug 3 - 07:56 PM

Gene K.

Yurian Kim

s

Jun 29 - 09:12 PM

Tom Swanson

Tom Swanson

Too hard. Their my two favorites, and I love both bodies of work for very different reasons.

I would love to see them write a script together. Nolan kicks in the "big ideas" and Tarantino hammers out the dialogue. Nolan can shoot it, if Tarantino puts together the cast and the soundtrack.

Jun 13 - 07:24 PM

Jack Jessop

Jack Jessop

Reservoir Dogs is a brilliant film, but it is hardly original, bearing its great likeness to City on Fire, to the point where it is essentially an uncredited remake.

Pulp Fiction is one of my favourite films, it's a wonderful film. I also enjoy Jackie Brown, which had the best narrative of any of his films. However, it was based upon a Leonard book, and so again is not entirely original.

Pulp Fiction is the only really standout original in his canon, and as much as I love that, I prefer it over any of Nolan's movies individually, it's simply not enough.

Nolan's been consistently brilliant, with Inception and Memento being real stand-outs to me, that I consider to be two of the best movies of the 21st century, easily. Following is also a really good film, particularly as I am a noir fan. The Batman trilogy is a brilliant reinvention of the superhero sagas, and whilst the saga overall has some flaws, it is easily one of the best trilogies of all time.

Overall, Nolan swings it as being technically better and having better pacing in his films, which involve you in the storyline more. He's also got more original work and more thought provoking work.

However, let me say that when Tarantino bites, he can really bite, and if he carried on making movies to a similar quality as he did in the 90's, I would've chosen him. He can be breathtaking at times

Jun 2 - 06:33 PM

Brandon McGee

Brandon McGee

I'm going to say Tarantino. While I do like a lot of Nolan's films (the exception being The Dark Knight Rises,) I've never found him to be the absolute messiah some of his fans make him out to be. However, Tarantino is one of my favorites. I love his dialogue, I love his stories, and I love just how damn fun his movies are to watch. Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite films to watch for all of those reasons. And even if his films aren't someone's style, they have to admit that he can put together a hell of a soundtrack.

May 15 - 04:28 PM

Mark Angelini

Mark Angelini

Director- Christopher Nolan. Love Tarantino's style but from a technical standpoint this isn't even close

Writer- Quentin Tarantino, unarguably one of the greatest screenwriters of the last several decades, and possibly ever. Nolan's great but hit-or-miss in this category

May 15 - 01:27 PM

Mark Angelini

Mark Angelini

Director- Christopher Nolan, barely
Writer- Quentin Tarantino, by quite a bit

May 15 - 01:25 PM

Martin S.

Martin Schenke

Nolan, without a doubt.

May 11 - 08:21 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

They both suck

May 11 - 05:21 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Your favorite director is probably Michael Bay, right?

May 11 - 07:35 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

not even a long shot

May 12 - 07:11 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Uwe Boll?

May 12 - 07:58 PM

Chase The Lost

Chase: The Lost Trollfighter

Larry Clark lol

Jun 3 - 09:26 AM

Nathan S.

Nathan Stelts

Tough call. Nolan is technically the better filmmaker, but I must say that I am never bored while watching a Tarantino movie. As far as their most recent works go, I respect Tarantino for not shying away from the ugly racial issues in Django Unchained. His movie benefitted from that. Nolan, however, seemed to get caught up in his own screenplay with TDKR. The twists and turns made for a few boring stretches (the pit, anyone?)and the blink-and-you'll-miss-it ending left me feeling feeling a little cheated. The belt goes to Tarantino.

May 10 - 10:34 AM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

Christopher for sure. Director the best movie ever and has had the second best trilogy of all time.

May 6 - 11:53 PM

Pasquale Greco

Pasquale Greco

the second best trilogy of all time? the best movie ever? you must be 15 or under.....nolan is an awful filmmaker, with horrible control over his scripts and he blows every act 3 in every film he's ever made. batman begins was a better movie than the last two he made in that trilogy BY FAR aside from the only thing that saved his woeful storytelling, which was heath ledger). dark knight rises was an awful movie and im sooooo tired of people talking about nolan like he's some great director.

May 11 - 01:22 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Totally agree with you. And 'Batman Begins' was his best. Can't say anything else good about him.

May 12 - 07:14 AM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

God forbid that Brendan has an opinion. Jesus, Pasquale, you're kind of an asshole. And I'm sure not everyone loves your favorite director or your favorite movie, so please just shut the fuck up.

May 14 - 01:26 PM

President Pedro

President Pedro

I like them both for different reasons, but here I'll give it to Tarantino. Nolan's has a great style, but compared to Tarantino it's nothing. A Tarantino film manages to capture every emotion nearly perfect, where as a Nolan film tends to be much darker and serious; nothing wrong with that, I'm simply implying that Tarantino's style is truly incredible. Also, Tarantino's films have much more better stories and writing than Nolan in my opinion. Both are truly magnificent directors, but in this case I'd give my vote to Tarantino every time.

May 6 - 05:14 PM

Judge Nikhil

nikhil bhardwaj

QT is better than nolan as he touched all genres and he has relaunched careers of actors like harvey keitel,john travolta,bruce willis,pam grier,jamie foxx ,david carradine,michael madsen etc, and launched a pool of talents to world's attention such as tim roth,steve buschemi,uma thurman,SLJ,CHRIS WALTZ . But the greatest writer-director of all time is orson welles(look at his completed films)

May 5 - 03:38 PM

Glen Frayling

Glen Frayling

they both used to be great! reservoir dogs and memento are two of the most suspenseful and thrilling movies i have ever seen. i couldn't look away for one second watching those movies. The Dark Knight Rises and Django Unchained...SUCKED! they were both mindless, poorly-written, extremely boring action movies that stretched on for hours pointlessly. SO disappointing both could have been so much better.

Apr 26 - 03:27 PM

Hunter Primm

Hunter Primm

Django isn't an action movie. It's a drama/western. It just has sequences of action in them. It's also one of Tarantino's most thought provoking, so you're wrong on that part as well.

Apr 28 - 03:18 PM

Glen Frayling

Glen Frayling

how is this movie thought provoking?! it had the most predictable linear story line i have ever seen!? none of the characters' morals were ever questioned, the line between right and wrong was never blurred, the characters and situations were hardly deep at all. About the only thought that this movie provoked was shoot everybody in order to save your wife... I could see how someone could call reservoir dogs, pulp fiction, or even inglorious basterds thought-provoking, but if you think this is one of Tarantino's most thought provoking movies you clearly have not seen any of his others.

Apr 29 - 01:51 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

It's not thought provoking if you didn't understand it, which you evidently didn't.

May 2 - 07:31 PM

Ben Thompson

Ben Thompson

I'd say that Quentin Tarantino and Christopher Nolan are on the same level, but like you said in their own ways and aspects.

Apr 24 - 03:20 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Tarantino.

Apr 20 - 01:15 PM

Jacklord Alan Keen

Jacklord Alan Keen

agree with you....

Apr 21 - 12:05 AM

Hunter Primm

Hunter Primm

I might say that Nolan is the better filmmaker but, Tarantino works better for my taste. Both have made some incredible masterpieces but I will have to go for Tarantino. Just apples and oranges at the end of the day, though.

Apr 19 - 03:02 PM

Rich Gehring Jr.

Rich Gehring Jr.

I don't think it's even close. Inception, Memento and Prestige are probably his best "written" films, while QT has written some absolute groundbreaking classics. I liked the batman films but I don't think the writing was that good. Tarantino is a little wordy but has written some amazing films, and his directing style is excellent. He's known as a student of film and often pay's homage to classic films in his movies. If Nolan didn't have the Batman franchise under his belt this thread wouldn't even exist. I would think a better comparison would be Peter Jackson versus Nolan, both had monster budgets to work with on well known trilogy's.

Feb 2 - 07:47 PM

Brendan Adams

Brendan Adams

I prefer Nolan by a mile. I love both of them very much but I love Neo-noirs and right now, Nolan is king.

Jan 6 - 09:17 PM

Chase The Lost

Chase: The Lost Trollfighter

This is comparing apples to oranges. Both directors are extremely pretentious, although Christopher Nolan focuses more on the cerebral elements of filmmaking whereas Tarantino frequently pays homage to the grindhouse-style, 70's exploitation flicks that you may find shown in a drive-thru 40 years ago. Of course, I'm not old enough to remember that lol. It's a matter of personal tastes.

Jan 5 - 07:50 AM

Jack Cox

Jack Cox

Tarantino his dialogue writing skill is tremendous.

Jan 4 - 09:14 PM

Michael Barsegyan

Michael Barsegyan

Paul Thomas only has like 4 movies that are relevant. Rest are shorts which don't really count. I think Tarantino is a much more accomplished director because nothing PTA has made can be compared to the likes of Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Inglourious Basterds, Jackie Brown. Only thing I can really say stands out is There Will Be Blood but honestly other than that..I'm not sure

Jan 4 - 04:48 PM

Tim Boone

Tim Boone

lol I think you accidentally thought of Paul Thomas Anderson when the topic was actually about Christopher Nolan(and Tarantino), but I'm sure you've figured that out by now ^_^ peace

Apr 19 - 08:46 PM

Tim Boone

Tim Boone

Oh, I see, you were responding to the comment beneath yours, woops ^_^

Apr 19 - 08:47 PM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

Honestly, if we are talking about writing, and striclty ignoring artistic direction, QT wins in a landslide. His dialogue is unmatched really, it's hard to even compare. Maybe the cohen's, maybe Nolan....maybe Woody. But to speak of film making, the best filmmaker right now, and in terms of an overall filmography is hands down Paul Thomas Anderson. In fact, there is a top teir of directors right now...

1. PTA
2. QT
3. Nolan
4. Nicolas Winding Refn
5. Wes Anderson

But PTA is just on another level. However, QT still reigns supreme in dialogue driven scenes.

Jan 4 - 10:22 AM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

Remove Nolan from that list and add in Fincher, and you've got yourself a pretty damn nice list.

Jan 5 - 02:15 PM

Daniel Lermenator

Daniel Lermenator

In deed

Jan 30 - 02:48 PM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

Nuh nuh nuh, what he needs to do is put Nolan at #4, Refn at #5, and replace Wes Anderson with David Fincher, David Lynch, or Spike Jonze.

Aug 27 - 09:08 PM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

Or get rid of Refn as well and add Fincher instead, while Jonze replaces WA.

Aug 27 - 09:09 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

Tarantino by far

Dec 27 - 05:35 PM

Bill Chapman

Bill Chapman

coen brothers are by far the next best thing ... but 2 minds are better than one so you cant really compare them to one man its not fair

Dec 27 - 04:40 PM

Bill Chapman

Bill Chapman

only person you can compaare qt to is pt anderson ...nolan who i love and htink is a great filmaaker is not in qt or pt league...

Dec 27 - 04:39 PM

Sean McAllister

Sean McAllister

I like Nolan, but QT now has 4 movies (Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Inglorious Basterds, and now Django Unchained) that are incredible and original)

Dec 26 - 11:45 PM

Jimmy Walter

Jimmy Walter

kill bill?

Jan 7 - 10:08 AM

Sean McAllister

Sean McAllister

Nolan takes a hit with the super hero movies he's now doing for a huge pay check, which is fine, but not very original.

Dec 26 - 11:41 PM

William Taft

Mikey Jordan

Tarantino! Nolan is good but his movies aren't on Tarantino's level.

Dec 26 - 03:10 PM

William Taft

Mikey Jordan

Tarantino. Nolan is a bit overhyped.

Dec 25 - 11:03 PM

paradox752

Robert Gonzalez

I feel as though THey are both Equally good I have to lean on Taratino here. When you see his movies you can instantly recongize his style while in a Nolan Film well...I actually had to go to IMDB and go wow he made that movie? Its not that Nolan is bad but With tarintino I feel like Im gonna watch something that people will turn into a Cult classic or there will be parts that will resonate more then a Nolan film....

I hope what I said made sense

Dec 24 - 10:09 AM

Barron Louise Mata

Barron Louise Mata

Id Say Tarantino! I HATE BATMAN TRILOGY

Dec 23 - 01:13 PM

Kevin DeLoughry

Kevin DeLoughry

Ed Wood all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 23 - 11:16 AM

D P.

D P

Laugh if you will, the man had a vision.

Dec 23 - 12:44 PM

Tyler Houck

Tyler Houck

The thing that makes both men so great has to do with their vision. Their ability to see what they're putting on screen and knowing exactly they need from their actors is what makes their films unique and powerful. They always leave movies as a strong finished product. That being said, I prefer Tarantino over Nolan on both writing and directing due to my preference of absurdism, but both are phenomenal in their own right.

Dec 23 - 08:05 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

When it comes to Writing and Directing I have to say either Woody Allen or Edgar Wright are both better.

Dec 23 - 07:05 AM

D P.

D P

Of living writer directors Allen has no peer. (Coppola would be a close second if he had stopped making movies after Apocalypse Now) Of writer directors who debuted in the last 30 years the Coens are probably the most accomplished.

Dec 23 - 10:46 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Well I don't have a taste for Allen's movies unfortunately while still acknowledging his talents there not for me, and I stand by my statement that Edgar Wright is the BEST Writer/ director

Jan 4 - 05:25 AM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

Wright is great at strictly making comedies so far.

Aug 27 - 09:10 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

They're the same skill level with the same problems. Both of them have no sense of pacing. both of them are indulgent, both of them get great performances out of actors. ETC. I'd say they're the same skill level. All the fanboys will be mad, but in 5 years you'll look back at there films and say "Wow they weren't that great.

Tarantino has amazing dialogue and no sense of story structure and Nolan has mediocre dialogue with great story structure. I'd go with Tarantino, because Django looks like it'll be good

Dec 23 - 07:04 AM

Tim Boone

Tim Boone

I respectfully disagree that they have no sense of pacing, I think they're both masters at pacing, and they both know how to build suspense as good as anyone out there.
I disagree that Tarantino 'has no sense of story structure'. I would agree that Nolan's approach is more focused on plot and structure than Tarantino's, but I think Tarantino has a really strong sense of storytelling, it's just that he's one of a kind and his dialogue carries much of the plot/story along with it, whereas Nolan does a more traditional minimalist thing with his dialogue, propelling the plot forward through visual actions and expositional dialogue, though I think Nolan is a master at tone and atmosphere, and even when it is expositonal dialogue and a more conventional approach(than Tarantino's), every moment is fascinating to me, and I'm completely immersed in the story and plot and am never distracted by any aspect of Nolan's filmmaking that do happen to seem more conventional than Tarantino's upon close examination.
Anyway, I respectfully disagree with some aspects of what you've said, but I agree with some aspects of your last sentence, if taken back to it's most basic level.
All in all, I think they're both geniuses, and I think it's a case of apples and oranges. Personally, I could never say that any director is better than Tarantino when it comes down to it, but Nolan is one of my favorites as well, and, IMHO, Nolan has a more impeccable track record, thus far, than nearly any director ever; I think every one of his movies is a masterpiece. Of course I can say the same about Tarantino,too. MHO peace ^_^

Apr 19 - 09:02 PM

D P.

D P

Again, when it comes to living writer directors, Woody Allen rules.

Dec 22 - 08:57 PM

David Friedman

David Friedman

the real question should be who's a better writer-director: QT or PTA

Let's be real, Nolan's best material is written by his younger brother (Memento, Dark Knight, DKR, and The Prestige. If any of you actually knew a thing about film you'd understand Nolan while good isn't even close to Tarantino's level of genius, for the main reason that his brother wrote his best.

Consensus the question is bunk, clear winner Tarantino.

Dec 22 - 06:10 PM

D P.

D P

QT's best work was cowrittn, just saying...

Dec 22 - 08:56 PM

Daniel Cockriel

Daniel Cockriel

"If any of you actually knew a thing about film you'd understand.."
what a condescending prick. I love both filmmakers, and as D P just stated, am actually aware what work of theirs has been co-written or done individually. Seriously David, get your head out of your own ass-hole, you might learn something.

Dec 23 - 09:01 AM

D P.

D P

Not to mention that just because something is cowritten doesn't diminish its quality or anyone's contribution. Some of the best movies ever had multiple writers. Billy Wilder cowrote most if his movies and the majority of them are fricking brilliant.

Dec 23 - 10:43 AM

D P.

D P

Not to mention that just because something is cowritten doesn't diminish its quality or anyone's contribution. Some of the best movies ever had multiple writers. Billy Wilder cowrote most if his movies and the majority of them are fricking brilliant.

Dec 23 - 10:44 AM

Pasquale Greco

Pasquale Greco

the fact that you people are putting that terrible batman trilogy on a list of great movies demonstrates your awful taste in film....nolan's younger brother is a TERRIBLE, repeat TERRRRIBLE writer of film. awful, expository dialogue, and consistently blows act 3....utterly predictable and takes no risks whatsoever. TDKR is a perfect example of a terrible, overrated, fanboy, film. it's sickening that nolan is even a talked about filmmaker. inception was a poor idea poorly executed. get nolan out of the conversation altogether.

May 11 - 01:30 PM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

Inception worked on so many levels my friend, but I can see where you're going with the Batman films, those films had spectacular ideas, but had few scenes and moment that were BEYOND dull.

Aug 27 - 09:13 PM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

Inception worked on so many levels my friend, but I can see where you're going with the Batman films, those films had spectacular ideas, but had few scenes and moment that were BEYOND dull.

Aug 27 - 09:13 PM

Tim Sentz

Tim Sentz

If you go by critics, it would be Christopher Nolan. He has all certified fresh films, nothing below a 75. According to Metacritic, Nolan = 75, Tarantino = 64.

Dec 22 - 12:21 PM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

You can't look at film in an objective way, but rather subjective, which is why the poll for this is, "Which director do YOU think is better," not, "Which director is better in an objective standpoint which I could probably go look up on these magical interwebs but would rather have 17,384,843,759,834,765 people answer for me in a conflicting manner."

Jan 5 - 02:18 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Tarantino wins by a long shot.

Dec 21 - 09:36 PM

Justin Buell

Justin Buell

Tarntino is the better writer, Nolan is the better director.

But their both great at both things.

Dec 21 - 09:23 PM

Braam H.

Braam Hollenbakker

It is the other way around, but it still comes down to personal preference, at the end of the day, since both of their films usually "succeed" at least at being "entertaining" films which isn't too common.

Writing: Nolan > Tarantino
Directing: Nolan â?¤ Tarantino

Tarantino is a great director and very good at the surface treatment of his films; the visuals, the music, the gritty dialogue, etc. which draws attention away from and camouflages the usually very mediocre plot. An example is Waltz's character in Inglourious Basterds. Critics raved about this sly and ingenious character, always a step ahead of the Basterds, but upon watching the film a second time, one realises that he hardly ever does any real detective work. He also never outwits or outsmarts the Basterds, but is merely tipped off about them eventually. He doesn't have much bearing on the direction of the story at all, until almost at the very end. Reservoir Dogs is an even better example, as there really is absolutely no plot, at least compared to the film "The Killing". It consists mostly of people shouting "who dunnit?" and then there are flashbacks to not very relevant or important back stories of some of the characters. It is more an exercise in the art of dialogue writing than an actual narrative work. But the gritty dialogue and the vibrancy of the characters still entertain and make up for it.

Nolan's writing is much more involved and less dependent on gimmicks, but sometimes he might overdo it somewhat, like with Inception. I would say Tarantino is the more flamboyant director whose style succeeds in appealing more to the primitive human senses of the masses but offers far less food for thought. He does need to learn to kill off some his verbose dialogue scenes though (kill your baby for the greater good). His writing is improving; however, and I think the western genre will suit him well.

Dec 22 - 10:45 AM

Braam H.

Braam Hollenbakker

It is the other way around, but it still comes down to personal preference, at the end of the day, since both of their films usually "succeed" at least at being "entertaining" films which isn't too common.

Directing: Nolan â?¤ Tarantino

Tarantino is a great director and very good at the surface treatment of his films; the visuals, the music, the gritty dialogue, etc. which draws attention away from and camouflages the usually very mediocre plot. An example is Waltz's character in Inglourious Basterds. Critics raved about this sly and ingenious character, always a step ahead of the Basterds, but upon watching the film a second time, one realises that he hardly ever does any real detective work. He also never outwits or outsmarts the Basterds, but is merely tipped off about them eventually. He doesn't have much bearing on the direction of the story at all, until almost at the very end. Reservoir Dogs is an even better example, as there really is absolutely no plot, at least compared to the film "The Killing". It consists mostly of people shouting "who dunnit?" and then there are flashbacks to not very relevant or important back stories of some of the characters. It is more an exercise in the art of dialogue writing than an actual narrative work. But the gritty dialogue and the vibrancy of the characters still entertain and make up for it.

Nolan's writing is much more involved and less dependent on gimmicks, but sometimes he might overdo it somewhat, like with Inception. I would say Tarantino is the more flamboyant director whose style succeeds in appealing more to the primitive human senses of the masses but offers far less food for thought. He does need to learn to kill off some his verbose dialogue scenes though (kill your baby for the greater good). His writing is improving; however, and I think the western genre will suit him well.

Dec 22 - 10:47 AM

Braam H.

Braam Hollenbakker

Directing: Nolan </= Tarantino

Dec 22 - 10:48 AM

Braam H.

Braam Hollenbakker

Directing: Nolan </= Tarantino

Tarantino is a great director and very good at the surface treatment of his films; the visuals, the music, the gritty dialogue, etc. which draws attention away from and camouflages the usually very mediocre plot. An example is Waltz's character in Inglourious Basterds. Critics raved about this sly and ingenious character: "always a step ahead of the Basterdsâ?¦" but upon watching the film a second time, one realises that he hardly ever does any real detective work. He also never outwits or outsmarts the Basterds, but is merely tipped off about them eventually. He doesn't have much bearing on the direction of the story at all, until almost at the very end. Reservoir Dogs is an even better example, as there really is absolutely no plot, at least compared to films like "The Killing". It consists mostly of people shouting "who dunnit?" and then there are flashbacks to not very relevant or important back stories of some of the characters. It is more an exercise in the art of dialogue writing than an actual narrative work. But the gritty dialogue and the vibrancy of the characters still entertain and make up for it.

Dec 22 - 10:51 AM

Zane B

Chum Chum

True, QT movie's do have simplistic plots outside of Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. But that's what great directors do is make so much outa so little. Not saying intricate plots are a bad thing, but you can't say Jaws, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Dr. Stragelove, Fargo, and There Will Be Blood have complicated plots. But all the films are still perfectly made because the plots don't move the story along... but the characters, writing, direction, cinematography, is what makes those films memorable.

Dec 23 - 10:13 AM

Carlton Papillion

Carlton Papillion

I like action and Tarantino is of the best at it, I only like Memento Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises. The rest of Nolans movies are boring crap with over an explaining story. I think Nolan is good, but Tarantino is something like a God.

Dec 21 - 10:45 AM

Pasquale Greco

Pasquale Greco

Hitchcock....HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAH....enever post on these forums again.....Hitchcock....just.....my god i almost went into a seizure that was so dumb

May 11 - 01:32 PM

Derek Prospero

Derek Prospero

Embarrassing that so many people actually think Tarantino is better. Really? His movies are occasionally fun, but Nolan is practically our generations' Hitchcock. Why is it so suddenly "cool" to backlash against things and people that are actually great?

Dec 21 - 10:16 AM

Sean McAllister

Sean McAllister

seriously? Hitchcock? While Nolans Batman movies are good, they are not even original.

Dec 26 - 11:43 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Be nice if Nolan gave a storyline but that always gets lost in his films

May 11 - 05:22 AM

David Carreon

David Carreon

Definitely not a Hitchcock of any sort.

Dec 27 - 12:20 PM

Pasquale Greco

Pasquale Greco

Hitchcock....HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAH....never post on these forums again.....Hitchcock....just.....my god i almost went into a seizure that was so dumb

May 11 - 01:32 PM

Zach Wisz

Zach Wisz

christopher nolan has made like, 5 movies and tarantino's face looks like a scrotum.

Dec 21 - 08:47 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

DIE IN A FIRE YOU CUNT NOLAN HAS MADE MORE THAN 5 MOVIES YOU DUMB HOBBIT RAPING FAGGOT. TARANTINO HAS A BETTER FACE THAN YOU ELEPHANT MAN. YOU SUCK YOUR DADS SCROTUM YOU FUGLY FORESKIN CHEWING GOBLIN FACE GAY BASTARD.

Dec 21 - 06:29 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Who's computer did you steal to write that drivel?

Dec 22 - 08:05 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Fuck you Tarantino is awesome.

Dec 21 - 09:35 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Exactly!

Dec 22 - 08:05 AM

ThoroughlyEntertainOrDie

Thoroughly Entertain Me Or Die

nope tarentino is about as overrated as every other director.

Dec 25 - 02:57 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Alex, he sucks and you need help

May 11 - 05:22 AM

James BradShaw

James BradShaw

there both great but i have to go home i mean QT.

Dec 21 - 08:04 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

WHAT ABOUT KEVIN SMITH YOU ASSHOLES. CLERKS AND CLERKS II. MALLRATS CHAISING AMY DOGMA JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK JERSEY GIRL ZACK AND MIRI MAKE A PORNO. THOSE MOVIES A GOOD TO GREAT AND THE DIALOGUE IS TOP NOTCH AND FUNNY.

Dec 21 - 07:46 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Ha Kevin Smith? Have you seen Cop Out? Piece of shit.

Dec 21 - 09:35 PM

Kaiser Yusuf

Kaiser Yusuf

Tarantino > Nolan. It's not even a contest.

Dec 20 - 03:49 PM

Jakob Lount

Jakob Lount

Personally, I find Nolan stupidly overrated. Don't get me wrong here - he's a brilliant director on most technical levels, and Memento is one of my favourite films of all time, but there are multiple things that I take issue with and non are exemplified more than three films in particular - The Prestige, TDKR and Inception. Again, I deem it necessary to point out that I don't explicitly 'dislike' these films - Inception is one I hugely enjoyed. However, I get the impression that he allows his ideas to run away with him at the expense of a coherent story. Inception has great ideas, but the plot was... well, does anyone actually care, at any point, why these people are doing the cool things they are doing? Cobb and his merry pals are, in a nutshell, creating a world which is run by a giant oil conglomerate, and that's kind of... it. The film is cool, the things people do in the film are cool, but the reason they are doing it is left behind - an afterthought.

Similarly, I could go on all day about plot holes and inconsistencies in his Batman films. However, I take a particular issue with the film's tone, specifically the third one. Quite simply, they take themselves too seriously, despite the inherent ridiculousness of both the source material and what's actually happening on screen. They were technically very well made films, but the tone didn't sit right. Making a dark, gritty Batman film is all very well, but making a dark, gritty Batman film that was set in a humourless 'real world' just didn't work for me personally.

The Prestige... well, actually, that was just a bad film full stop; and again, one that was supremely silly, yet completely unaware of said silliness and carrying on with a straight face.

Dec 20 - 02:13 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

They're 2 different directors with 2 different styles

Dec 20 - 01:44 PM

Emily Knight

Emily Knight

Tarantino isn't "the best" writer but he's absolutely the most unique. No one writes like him. And the performances in his movies are always so spot-on.

Nolan is mediocre and writing /and/ directing.

Dec 20 - 11:26 AM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

Cool topic! These may be my two favorite directors of all time, so it is extremely hard to pick. I think I am going with Nolan though. He's never made a bad movie while Tarantino has had some flops in the past.

Dec 20 - 09:05 AM

Ryan Leftwich

Ryan Leftwich

QT! 4 the win

Dec 20 - 06:47 AM

Zoltán Kovács

Zoltán Kovács

MY VOTE MR. NOLAN

Dec 20 - 06:12 AM

Gafoor Khan

Gafoor Khan

As far as audience reach is concerned, Nolan has made a great name for himself by making highly entertaining and thought provoking Blockbusters, but he has yet to achieve that pure pulsating cinematic brilliance that Tarantino does so effortlessly. All said and done, Tarantino wins here, but The Coen Bros are the true masters in this category :)

Dec 20 - 04:18 AM

D P.

D P

For sheer output, Woody Allen towers above all living directors.. However, if you were to go all time Kurosawa, Fellini, Truffaut, Bergman and Orson Welles would crush the competition.

Dec 20 - 04:31 AM

Luis Cuevas

Luis Cuevas

I'm a fan of nolan and tarrantino. What i admire most about tarrantino is the dialogue in his movies and his not give a fuck attitude. Nolan however did to the batman movies what other directors dream about and his movies are much more modern and thought provoking. Their both great you can't compare them. I would say Tarrantino gets my vote, because he's more set in his ways of making movies. Christopher nolan is still expanding and has only been directing for about a decade.

Dec 19 - 10:20 PM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

Nolan's dialogue is thought-provoking and philosophical.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

"An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere."

Whereas Tarantino's dialogue focuses on wit and humor.
"When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead Nigger Storage"?

Dec 20 - 12:36 AM

Kaiser Yusuf

Kaiser Yusuf

Your first quote that is supposed to showcase Nolans thought provoking dialogue wasn't even made by him, he just used that quote in one of his movies.

Dec 20 - 03:48 PM

D P.

D P

Too small a list.

Dec 19 - 09:30 PM

Julia Dzagoeva

Julia Dzagoeva

Paul Thomas Anderson!... but for the sake of the poll I'll say Tarantino (even though Nolan is a legend)

Dec 19 - 08:55 PM

Gafoor Khan

Gafoor Khan

Both the Andersons (PT and WS) are brilliant writer-directors with superb visual flair

Dec 20 - 04:22 AM

Gafoor Khan

Gafoor Khan

Both the Andersons (PT and Wes) are brilliant writer-directors with a distinctive visual flair

Dec 20 - 04:26 AM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

I think Tarantino movies are generally much better, but that's not to say I don't like Nolan. I just think SOME of his movies are a little overrated. I haven't actually seen Following or Insomnia yet, but will soon. I've seen all of Tarantino's, and have loved each of them in their own way.

Dec 19 - 08:25 PM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

The story in Insomnia is okay but I expected it to be more complex. I think it is Pacino's performance that makes it an excellent movie. Following is really great too, very unique and has some similarities to Memento.

Dec 20 - 08:59 AM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

Mmm good, I LOVE Momento, my favorite by Nolan.

Dec 20 - 01:15 PM

Matt Gerberich

Matt Gerberich

I personally prefer Nolan, but I think Tarantino is definitely a more influential director. Hollywood brought Nolan in from the indie movement; Tarantino brought the indie movement into Hollywood.

Dec 19 - 08:23 PM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

Well, this discussion thread is located Tarantino's latest movie and all his die-hard fans will be swarming around here, so obvious there will be many Tarantino votes.

Dec 19 - 07:24 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

For me Nolan, but it's just a matter of personal taste since they make very different flavor's of movie. I would say Tarantino has the more distictive style, but Nolan is more versatile.

Dec 19 - 05:25 PM

Logan Stott

Logan Stott

Quentin Tarantino is a million times better than that hack.

Dec 19 - 05:00 PM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

An irrational statement from an irrational person. And I can predict an even more irrational rebuttal.

Dec 19 - 07:28 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

You're right..
FUCK YOU

Dec 19 - 08:49 PM

Logan Stott

Logan Stott

Haha I was just messin' :D but I do like Tarantino better.

Dec 20 - 12:44 AM

Simon Opitz

Simon Opitz

Is this even a question? Tarantino!

Dec 19 - 04:46 PM

Catfish Alexander

Catfish Alexander

Tarantino, far and away. Nolan has yet to create a masterpiece while Tarantino made Reservoir Dogs.

Dec 19 - 03:14 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

THERE BOTH GREAT CANT PICK ONE HOWEVER HATE 2 SAY IT BUT TARANTINO WINS BY DEFAULT HE HAS MADE MORE MOVIES.

Dec 19 - 01:51 PM

Caleb Paasche

Caleb Paasche

That is a terrible arguement, I have no problem with you saying that Tarantino is a better filmaker, but your logic is simply God awful.

Dec 19 - 02:33 PM

Mark Stanheight

Mark Stanheight

while i do realize that Nolan's movies are more complex, yet brilliantly executed and admire what he accomplished with Batman, i have to pick Tarantino, becasue he is not afraid to push any boundaries, and if he crosses the line he succeeds and always delivers an amazing movie.

Dec 19 - 11:39 AM

Caleb Paasche

Caleb Paasche

I would have to go with Nolan, in my opinion he redefined the superhero genre and all of his original movies are thought provoking and honestly I love all of his work.

Dec 19 - 08:31 AM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

both fantastic...slight nod to Nolan

Dec 19 - 08:20 AM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Tarantino. I would guess he has a greater film knowledge than Nolan and all of his screenplays are original I do believe. His movies are game changers for modern cinema and so is his writing. Shit, how many pop-culture references do you see from his movies today?

Dec 19 - 07:40 AM

Samuel Wolfe

Samuel Wolfe

All but Jackie Brown were original.

Dec 19 - 06:28 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

aw thanks for clarifying

Dec 19 - 08:51 PM

Braam H.

Braam Hollenbakker

Many of Tarantino's films are homages to similar films done in the past. Even Django Unchained is based on the older Django films.

Calling his work more "original" than Nolan's is very strange. Are you sure you didn't confuse the two film makers in your comment?

Dec 22 - 10:57 AM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Yes he has many homages in his movies (Kill Bill's, Jackie Brown, Inglorious Basterds) but he still can make these films his own, they incorporate elements from other films more than themes. His style is distinctive enough to where when you see his films you know it's a Tarantino flick...based on narrative, characters, stylistic violence, cinemotogrpahy, score ect. This is all solitified by Tarantinos film knowladge...can you honestly say Nolan is as good as Tarantino or even better in all aspects of direction? I'd love to see Nolan direct a movie outside of noir and action. Tarantrino lets see...gangster, noir, spagetti western, action revenge, WWII movie, And he wrote True Romance. Yeah, as you can tell I'm very confused about what I'm talking about.

Dec 23 - 09:35 AM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

you don't feel that Nolan made 'Batman' his own?...come on........

Dec 27 - 09:25 AM

Mr. Positive

. .

Both fantastic, but I just enjoy Nolan's work more. He tends to not have to go the on screen gory violence route nearly as much to get his point across and I appreciate that.

Dec 19 - 05:31 AM

Timothy Junkins

Timothy Junkins

I revisit Nolan movies more often, but I think I have to give "better" to Tarantino. It's more of a rare thing for me to have any kind of criticism for Tarantino, where as with Nolan I have really minor issues with a lot of his work.

Dec 19 - 05:11 AM

Lucas Pereira Preti

Lucas Pereira Preti

I'm a Nolan guy. He knows there's intelligent people watching blockbusters.

Dec 19 - 04:59 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

Tarantino, Nolan's a great director don't get me wrong, probably one of the best modern directors anyway. But Tarantino redefined the Crime Drama genre to an extent that no Director has been able to match with his first two films (Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction) which are two of my favourite films, and his current homages to other genre's and directors are almost always breathtaking and provide fresh and insightful outlooks to anything he approaches. Plus I would also argue Tarantino is probably one of the greatest Screenwriters in the history of American cinema, his dialogue alone is worth the price of admission to see his films.

Dec 19 - 02:49 AM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

Excellent point. For me, Nolan elevated the superhero genre to new heights. He shaped Batman into a powerful symbolic figure. He render the Joker into one of the most, if not the most, interesting and compelling villains of all time. Shifting to his original work, Inception, Memento, and the Prestige are definitely some of the most thought-provoking, innovative, mind-bending, twisting works of fiction. Tarantino and Nolan are both iconic gods of filmmaking.

Dec 19 - 04:21 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I'd agree with your statement, their both great directors, just for me Tarentino takes the cake due to his screenwriting talents, as well as the fact that Tarentino has made three of my favourite movies while Nolan has only made one, still their is not one movie in Chris Nolan's entire filmography I wouldn't consider a great movie. I'd say the same for Tarentino except for Death Proof, which I thought was essentially average.

Dec 20 - 01:02 AM

David Friedman

David Friedman

But Prestige, Memento, and Batman were all written by his younger brother, Jonathan Nolan...

Dec 22 - 06:12 PM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

My vote: Christopher Nolan

Dec 19 - 01:21 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile