Its about time black people also get a hero

White kids have identified with Batman, Spiderman, Superman. Why can't black kids have Django?!?
Todd Morrow
12-27-2012 07:17 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Collin Nisler

Collin Nisler

Why does it have to be about race? Why couldn't a black kid identify with a white superhero? Claiming such just emphasizes barriers between races.

Dec 31 - 11:11 PM

Jaime Lannister

Jaime Lannister

Don't recall Batman, Spiderman and Superman going on bloody killing sprees. I suppose Django could be a roll model though regardless. White kids vigilante heroes are too kind to criminals after all, right? Why doesn't Bruce Wayne just shoot the Joker in the face instead of letting the cops take him in? What Django would have done.

Dec 31 - 10:05 PM

Ivy Miles

Ivy Miles

If I lived in the land of Django Freeman, and I was a slave with small children. Yes, I'd tell them daily, aspire to be just like that bad M#$%^ F&^#!. In my present life, No. Django Unchained is not appropriate for young children. When they are older and more mature, I may introduce them to this version of Django.

Dec 31 - 08:38 PM

Ivy Miles

Ivy Miles

If I lived in the land of Django Freeman, and I was a slave with small children. Yes, I'd say aspire to be just like that bad M#$%^ F&^#!. In my present life, No. Django Unchained is not appropriate for young children. When they are older and more mature, I may introduce them to this version of Django.

Dec 31 - 08:36 PM

Kenneth Ketchum

Kenneth Ketchum

If QT didn't make this film, my kung fu version (runaway slave meets a shaolin monk railroad worker, circa 1860, who teaches him martial arts, to return to a plantation to rescue his mother and future bride) would have to suffice. I am so tired of waiting for the BLACK REVENGE (read the NY Times review of this movie) button to be pushed by Hollywood. After years of kung fu training, my hero sets off to travel from plantation to plantation, but only after he become born again (after killing a racist priest) and wears a collar to search for his family after giving his life to the Lord and vowing not to kill another person (ala Jackie Chan style - notice that he rarely kills anyone in his movies). Instead of Qang Jang Caine (from the TV series Kung Fu) traveling across America escaping Chinese Imperial assassins, my hero travels with a bible searching for his family while confronting racism, sexism, and other negative aspects of the wild west. My hero connects with the First Nation People and is allowed access to the Frontier under the pretext that he is seeking to start a church wherever he goes. So I have no problem with this movie except I am much more into physical, well choreographed fight scenes instead of gun violence. I have read that there was brutal MMA styled fights for money that took place throughout the American Frontier (THE BIG BRAWL) and that people lost their lives when engaged in bare knuckle brawls. So my cleric hero would have been much more realistic, philosophical and spiritual like Caine was from the series.

Dec 31 - 06:05 PM

Doug Decocq

Doug Decocq

Black Dynamite?

Dec 29 - 07:44 AM

Cathy Cress

Cathy Cress

White people, have so much blood on their hands that they can't clap for a brilliant film that gives a better ending than our past and present racism provides.

Dec 28 - 10:13 PM

Sixghun Garrilla

Sixghun Garrilla

I agree with you that the film is brilliant and worthy of applause. However, you look white in your photo. If you've been a racist in the past, you'll feel better if you apologize to whoever you were racist against. If you are presently racist; shame on you. If you've got blood on your hands, turn yourself into the police. Aside from that, how dare you condemn all white people, most of which are perfectly decent as any other race?

Dec 29 - 03:08 PM

Gabrielle M.

Gabrielle McQueen

Are you on crack. I completely agree with the girl as you claim to before putting her down. She is right. The End.

Dec 31 - 09:30 PM

Sixghun Garrilla

Sixghun Garrilla

I doubt it. Most likely just another poser.

Jan 1 - 11:38 AM

Sixghun Garrilla

Sixghun Garrilla

You agree with her? I doubt it. Most likely just another poser getting off on pretending to be part a powerful oppressing elite and disguising it as phony guilt.

Jan 1 - 11:42 AM

Collin Nisler

Collin Nisler

I'm white. To what blood are you referring to?

Dec 31 - 11:10 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Because he's the hero that black kids deserve, but not the one they need right now. So they'll hunt him. Because he can take it.

Dec 28 - 11:12 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Django is definitely not a role model.

Dec 28 - 02:32 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

Django is no where near super hero material, he is a murderer

Dec 27 - 09:44 PM

Cody H.

Cody Halpert

What about Black Panther? (And I mean the Avenger, not the organization).

Dec 27 - 08:16 PM

Wendell Pace

Wendell Pace

You haven't seen Shaft?

Dec 27 - 06:24 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

shaft? really ? if thats your attempt at a joke, it blows

Dec 29 - 07:27 PM

Sixghun Garrilla

Sixghun Garrilla

Black children have Frozone, Spawn, or Blade. Django isn't for children.

Dec 27 - 12:05 PM

ThoroughlyEntertainOrDie

Thoroughly Entertain Me Or Die

because he's not a superhero. he doesn't save, he just murders people in cold blood.

Dec 27 - 11:45 AM

Jessica Brandon

Jessica Brandon

Cold blood? He's a bounty hunter...

Dec 28 - 06:11 AM

Matt Hastings

Matt Hastings

yeah and not every kill he made was a bounty so cold blood still counts

Dec 28 - 12:53 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Uh, you have never seen BLAZING SADDLES have you?

Dec 27 - 09:08 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile