The Tarantino Problem

To be honest I am very disturbed at the disrespect for human life and the integrity for the human body Tarantino displays in his movies.
He evidently sees movie characters not as representative of actual human beings but of... other movie characters.

Tarantino's adeptness in the language of exploitation film makes him a favorite of the critics, but what the general audience sees is something different - the lowest form of entertainment possible, basically, the game of killing and being killed and laughing at it.

"Smart" critics overrate his work while seeing his movies on the level of craftsmanship and have detached themselves long ago from an emphatic point of view that takes movie characters as representations of real people, while stupid people don't see the problem with his work.
It's an unholy alliance between critics and a mentally hyperactive nerdboy with an evident insane fetish for violence.
That his movies have continued success and so many fans is definitely a reason for me to be disappointed with humanity.
But that critical thinkers don't seem to see a problem with any of this is a major problem.

Tarantino is not just overrated - his success is characterized by the most unholy alliance between misguided film critics and an insane fetish for violence, and we are living right in the middle of it.

Walk out of the movie theater while you can.
Your brain does not need this.
moovai
12-31-2012 07:44 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Branden M.

Branden Mata

Okay dude you need to pump the brakes and calm the fuck down. Tarantino is a great director and your judt dome weirdo that thinks since people like his films that everyone is an insane psychopath or something that enjoys violence in real life cause they find it entertaining in a movir...This is not the case my deluded friend. People like Tarantino films cause the writing is amazing, acting is fantastic, and there very entertaining(whether it's humor and/or action violence).

Oct 11 - 12:53 AM

Adair Belton-schure

Adair Belton-schure

You over-rate humanity.
Took time to just sit back and laugh at anothers misfortune?

Sep 15 - 09:18 PM

Luke Dobson

Luke Dobson

Violence is acceptable if the violent things actually happen in real life. When the movie Flight 93 came out no one complained about it because it actually happened. But if it was fiction there would have been complaints about it promoting terrorism. I'm not saying that Django Unchained is a true story but people get shot and violently killed in real life so it's only depicting true events which have been fictionalised.

Sep 8 - 04:13 AM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

Stop acting like such a pussy, Fritz.

Sep 3 - 02:49 PM

Todd Danner

Todd Danner

I completely agree. Why can't you blind fanboys just admit the truth; This movie is extremely overrated..

Aug 15 - 02:41 PM

Rocket

Rocket Raccoon

Differing opinions, asshole.

Aug 16 - 04:34 PM

Rami Nawfal

Rami Nawfal

Todd, people have different opinions and you're being a complete douche.

Sep 3 - 01:47 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

However I think I'd only see Django for Waltz, DiCap, and Jackson.

Jul 28 - 07:16 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Agreed, his only good film was Pulp Fiction. The rest are just all of his sadistic fantasies that are meant to be fun for the audience, I don't find it disrespectful, I find it lame, there is not enough substance to his films.

Jul 28 - 07:13 PM

IkkleMissMuffin

karen worrall

his films are amazing get a grip.

Jun 2 - 01:31 PM

Mathias Paul

Mathias Paul

How does a slave (who never use a gun before) pick up a gun and immediately know how to use it like he has been shooting his whole life??

Apr 17 - 03:22 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

haha i already schooled u

Apr 17 - 04:51 PM

Thomas Brownrigg

Thomas Brownrigg

The guy made one great movie(Reservoir Dogs) and one good movie(Pulp Fiction). Other than that it's been pure shit. B- movies are called B-movies for a reason. When you "pay homage" to crap you get crap.

Apr 17 - 11:59 AM

Dimitri Johannisse

Dimitri Johannisse

Totally agree!

Jul 7 - 09:47 AM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

Depends on what the homage is to be honest.

Aug 3 - 08:07 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

i would love to see a sequel called django unchained again which is set after the civil war...and this time morgan freeman as old django....what do you thi9nk

Apr 16 - 07:10 AM

Jake Braden

Jake Braden

That is the worst idea i have ever heard in my life

May 5 - 05:05 AM

Jacklord Alan Keen

Jacklord Alan Keen

shut up....

Apr 15 - 10:29 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

couldnt have said it better

Apr 16 - 07:10 AM

Tim Jordan

Tim Jordan

Yeah shut it, unless you are working or studying to work for the film industy and know what your even talking about.

Apr 15 - 05:22 PM

Andrew Aaronson

Andrew Aaronson

Unholy alliance? Are you serious? Look these critics aren't evil, they just enjoy Tarantion's movies, so do others. Sure his movies are violent but it's for a reason. That reason being that there are no heroes in Tarantino movies so they are naturally violent. The movies aren't responsible for violence in people, only idiots and you sir are one of them

Apr 14 - 04:15 PM

Gabe Montoya

Gabe Montoya

Shut the fuck up. Cant handle his movies???

Apr 7 - 10:02 AM

Tim Boone

Tim Boone

Real-life violence has little to nothing to do with movie violence, IMHO .

Amongst countless other things, there's this: People seem to have forgotten about a little thing called "Suspension of Disbelief". You know, the subtle, nearly unconscious agreement moviegoers have with the movie/movie makers that we are now 'suspending disbelief' and entering the realm of fantasy. Now, if you are mentally stable enough to participate in this process, that means you are aware that you are watching a fantasy, and the rules of real life are checked at the door, and you are willingly being taken on a ride of something of a dream experience of a fantasy life. The experiences on this ride can be really intense and lifelike, which is, indeed, the point, and we are being taken on a ride through amazing experiences in this fantasy world that we wouldn't normally be able to in life. As realistic and intense as some movies are, and as disturbing as vividly realized and realistically played graphic violent images can be in a film, and they can be downright traumatic, but I don't think any of that will ever or has ever lead to violence in real life. At worst, it can disturb and traumatize you, if a movie is too graphically violent for your sensibilities and what not, but I don't believe any violent movie has ever directly caused an act of violence in real life, save for maybe instances in which extremely mentally unstable individuals, who could be set off by literally anything, happen to grasp onto a movie they can use as an excuse to do the damage they were going to do anyway.

Seriously think about it. Has a movie ever made you violent, Fritz? Do Tarantino movies inspire feelings inside you like you want to commit real, actual violence? Call me crazy, but that doesn't happen with me. And I'm sure it doesn't happen to you either Fritz, you seem like a very nice guy, and actually I very much like your attitude about things because outside of the violent movies I enjoy watching, in actual day to day life, not in fantasy life, where violence is a different thing altogether, in life, like most, I abhor violence, and unfortunately, like most, have experienced some in life, and is horrible and ugly and just the saddest most tragic thing, you know, I don't like to watch Faces of Death movies and stuff like that, you know? And I'm not saying anything about people who do, I haven't even thought about that, but anyway, my point is: I think the line between fiction and reality is wide enough that I don't think it's a valid point, that movie violence is bad for people. Of course it can be bad, it can be traumatic if too graphic or realistic, and it can be an all around negative experience if the filmmakers were truly sadistic and went too far with things, but I don't think it's an unhealthy thing to experience violence within the context of a fantasy experience. It can be unpleasant, especially if it's unexpected or they go too far with the graphic content, but if it's something you can handle, the material isn't overly graphic and traumatizing, then I think it's all good.

If it's some depraved graphic horror film that is disturbing on multiple levels and what not, I mean, I'm sure it would be an unpleasant and downright traumatic experience for someone who can't handle that sort of thing, but actually, I think that boils down to the individual and how mentally stable they actually are and what they can handle. Life does have violence in it. People do kill each other, people do get in accidents and die violently. There is love and many other wonderful things, but there is also death, and the fear of death, one could say is what drives most life. It's a fascinating subject. The ultimate challenge in life. The ultimate fear. One of the, if not the, most powerful thing to ever grasp. We all know we're going to die. To be able to escape into a fantasy in which we can experience the excitement of flirting with death and other things that we don't get to experience in real life.

Also, as far as catharsis, first of all, I don't necessarily think that it's always so specific and precise and every time someone does something on a movie that the audience member can relate to thinking of doing that but just not acting. No, I'm pretty sure that I'm not always visualizing shooting people in the face, or violently swinging at them over petty annoyances but I just restrain myself--no, I don't do that. Being upset over a certain situation or with a certain character archetype that represents something or someone that causes you tension, or even just being upset in general, having accumulated stress and anger that come with the struggles of everyday life, just simply having a feeling of frustration in general can lead to a cathartic release if experiencing a scene in which there's built up tension and then there's a powerful explosive climax of a release of the tension of the scene, and it can be powerful and feel good and exciting and exhil

Apr 2 - 01:39 AM

Tim Boone

Tim Boone

Real-life violence has little to nothing to do with movie violence, IMHO .

Amongst countless other things, there's this: People seem to have forgotten about a little thing called "Suspension of Disbelief". You know, the subtle, nearly unconscious agreement moviegoers have with the movie/movie makers that we are now 'suspending disbelief' and entering the realm of fantasy. Now, if you are mentally stable enough to participate in this process, that means you are aware that you are watching a fantasy, and the rules of real life are checked at the door, and you are willingly being taken on a ride of something of a dream experience of a fantasy life. The experiences on this ride can be really intense and lifelike, which is, indeed, the point, and we are being taken on a ride through amazing experiences in this fantasy world that we wouldn't normally be able to in life. As realistic and intense as some movies are, and as disturbing as vividly realized and realistically played graphic violent images can be in a film, and they can be downright traumatic, but I don't think any of that will ever or has ever lead to violence in real life. At worst, it can disturb and traumatize you, if a movie is too graphically violent for your sensibilities and what not, but I don't believe any violent movie has ever directly caused an act of violence in real life, save for maybe instances in which extremely mentally unstable individuals, who could be set off by literally anything, happen to grasp onto a movie they can use as an excuse to do the damage they were going to do anyway.

Seriously think about it. Has a movie ever made you violent, Fritz? Do Tarantino movies inspire feelings inside you like you want to commit real, actual violence? Call me crazy, but that doesn't happen with me. And I'm sure it doesn't happen to you either Fritz, you seem like a very nice guy, and actually I very much like your attitude about things because outside of the violent movies I enjoy watching, in actual day to day life, not in fantasy life, where violence is a different thing altogether, in life, like most, I abhor violence, and unfortunately, like most, have experienced some in life, and is horrible and ugly and just the saddest most tragic thing, you know, I don't like to watch Faces of Death movies and stuff like that, you know? And I'm not saying anything about people who do, I haven't even thought about that, but anyway, my point is: I think the line between fiction and reality is wide enough that I don't think it's a valid point, that movie violence is bad for people. Of course it can be bad, it can be traumatic if too graphic or realistic, and it can be an all around negative experience if the filmmakers were truly sadistic and went too far with things, but I don't think it's an unhealthy thing to experience violence within the context of a fantasy experience. It can be unpleasant, especially if it's unexpected or they go too far with the graphic content, but if it's something you can handle, the material isn't overly graphic and traumatizing, then I think it's all good.

If it's some depraved graphic horror film that is disturbing on multiple levels and what not, I mean, I'm sure it would be an unpleasant and downright traumatic experience for someone who can't handle that sort of thing, but actually, I think that boils down to the individual and how mentally stable they actually are and what they can handle. Life does have violence in it. People do kill each other, people do get in accidents and die violently. There is love and many other wonderful things, but there is also death, and the fear of death, one could say is what drives most life. It's a fascinating subject. The ultimate challenge in life. The ultimate fear. One of the, if not the, most powerful thing to ever grasp. We all know we're going to die. To be able to escape into a fantasy in which we can experience the excitement of flirting with death and other things that we don't get to experience in real life.

Also, as far as catharsis, first of all, I don't necessarily think that it's always so specific and precise and every time someone does something on a movie that the audience member can relate to thinking of doing that but just not acting. No, I'm pretty sure that I'm not always visualizing shooting people in the face, or violently swinging at them over petty annoyances but I just restrain myself--no, I don't do that. Being upset over a certain situation or with a certain character archetype that represents something or someone that causes you tension, or even just being upset in general, having accumulated stress and anger that come with the struggles of everyday life, just simply having a feeling of frustration in general can lead to a cathartic release if experiencing a scene in which there's built up tension and then there's a powerful explosive climax of a release of the tension of the scene, and it can be powerful and feel good and exciting and exhil

Apr 2 - 01:39 AM

Tim Boone

Tim Boone

lol damnit I got cut off but I think you get the gist of it..peace

Apr 2 - 01:44 AM

Tim Boone

Tim Boone

Shoot lol some of the sentences didn't make grammatical sense and I seemed to almost contradict myself at times and I was a little vague and wish I would have articulated my thoughts more clearly, but hopefully I got a couple points across..

Apr 2 - 11:39 AM

Luke Dobson

Luke Dobson

you are officially awesome

Sep 8 - 09:12 AM

pat

Pat S.

Go back to watching 1980's Disney movies.

Mar 28 - 03:04 PM

Joel Godden

Joel Godden

disrespect for human life? oh yeah? what about the opening scene of Inglorious Basterds where the SS come looking for the jews hiding in the guys house? i shed a tear at this scene, it was portrayed in such a real, human, emotional way

Mar 23 - 04:16 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Fritz, have you seen the trailer for Evil Dead? I want to know your reaction on that, if you think Tarantino is bad

Mar 17 - 03:17 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

queer

Mar 16 - 03:58 PM

Samo Pope SkywalkerWer

Samo Pope SkywalkerWer

Cinema is entertainment. Tarantino is one of the top director or our era. You could dislike the story of the movie, but for every cinema lover Tarantino is a MUST

Mar 13 - 05:36 AM

John Serrano

John Serrano

If Tarantino is what makes you lose your faith in humanity, I can't even.

Mar 6 - 03:01 PM

Nick Meise

Nick Meise

Fritz, pretentious film snobs never get anywhere in life. People who make and watch entertaining movies do. We win. You lose. (;

Mar 5 - 08:35 PM

Karen Duran

Karen Duran

I went and saw this movie last night and I have to say, I loved it. Yes it was violent but the action was perfect. I think QT did a great job. I like the way he verbalizes things pretty much the way people speak or spoke in those days. Yes this is for sure a movie, either you will like or you won't. I liked it and I will buy the movie when it comes out in video. This all star movie to me is worth seeing. If you don't like violence don't go. If you like action, this is your movie.

Mar 5 - 10:43 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I've always thought Tarantino is one of the best and most talented directors cinema today. I love the fact that he usually creates movies about violence that don't morally condescend down to the audience about how bad violence is for a change. What I love about Tarantino is that his films are morally ambiguous and have the charisma and the daring to go where they end up going. For me Tarantino is most certainly not overrated, he's one of the top 3 American writer/director's working today and This film deserved to have one best picture; and a rating by critics in the mid high 90s.

Mar 2 - 03:16 PM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

A LOT of other directors show moral ambiguity in their films as well, Tarantino stylizes it.

Aug 3 - 08:11 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

've always thought Tarantino is one of the best and most talented directors cinema today. I love the fact that he usually creates movies about violence that don't morally condescend down to the audience about how bad violence is for a change. What I love about Tarantino is that his films are morally ambiguous and have the charisma and the daring to go where they end up going. For me Tarantino is most certainly not overrated, he's one of the top 3 American writer/director's working today and This film deserved to have one best picture; and a rating by critics in the mid high 90s.1111

Mar 2 - 03:16 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I've always thought Tarantino is one of the best and most talented directors cinema today. I love the fact that he usually creates movies about violence that don't morally condescend down to the audience about how bad violence is for a changed. What I love about Tarantino is that his films are morally ambiguous and have the charisma and the daring to go where they end up going. For me Tarantino is most certainly not overrated, he's one of the top 3 American writer/director's working today and This film deserved to have one best picture; and a rating by critics in the mid high 90s.

Mar 2 - 03:15 PM

Bryony Pugh

Bryony Pugh

Personally, I enjoyed it. It's fast-paced, dirty, disgusting, funny as hell and it really drives the point home about how unpleasant parts of history were. If you didn't like it, so be it, I won't tell you to. But please don't tell other people not to watch something purely because you didn't like it. That kind of crap is reserved for atrocities like Twishite and 50 Shades of Shite only.

Mar 2 - 12:54 PM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

In my opinion, it's one of the best films of the year,so I disagree.

Mar 2 - 01:41 AM

Walter Straub III

Walter Straub III

AMEN BROTHER! There is absolutely nothing in Tarantino other than the word "nigger" and inhumane violence.

Mar 1 - 07:19 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

homo

Mar 9 - 07:11 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

go eat a dick

Mar 16 - 03:59 PM

Christian Taee

Christian Taee

not true tarantino is amazing

Mar 1 - 11:09 AM

John Serrano

John Serrano

Why can't you people expose your opinions like this guy? Agreed Chris, superb script, superb cast, superb soundtrack, superb editing, superb direction, superb film.

Mar 6 - 03:03 PM

Hunter Primm

Hunter Primm

You need to understand, there are no good guys in Tarantino movies. That's why everybody is violent in his movies. Plus, he makes us laugh with the violence. Every "problem" you mentioned just makes me like his movies and violence more. Maybe that's a bad thing for you, but you losing faith in humanity doesn't make like them less. He makes original movies based on the violence of humanity, and not only makes it enjoyable, he makes it real. You're actually there with Jules and Vincent because they seem real talking about what burgers are called in foreign lands instead of their objective like about any other movie in the time. Tarantino does what he wants with his movies and if he wants violence of language and brutality and swords cutting people apart and graphic gun violence, then he is definitley going to put it on the screen. He's not making a movie, but an experience.

Feb 28 - 05:23 AM

russ a.

russ allen

fritz,i think you must be german. seriously, OT in all his movies treats violence as common place even banal. Violence, is part of the culture of the US, sad but true. Yes, his characters are flawed, just like real people in real life. Hope that helps, Aud Weidershen.

Jan 27 - 10:12 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Tarantino is inovative, celebrates movie violence while being stylized, a master at the art of exploitation and the use of music. Above all else he has a pair. And you don't. Have some cranberry juice and take a bubble bath princess.

Jan 27 - 05:51 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Tarantino is inovative, celbrates film violence, and the art of exploitation. Above all he has balls. And you don't. Drink some cranberry juice and take a bubble bath princess

Jan 27 - 05:48 PM

Roberto Ciamora

Roberto Ciamora

All the reasons you listed are the exact reasons I love his movies.

Jan 25 - 06:27 PM

rodycaz

Rodycaz V

"Disrespect for human life"? Dude, I don't know if you're aware that this is a movie, it's fiction with the purpose of entertaining. Any mature, intelligent person would be able to distinguish between reality and fiction so stop talking about this characters as if they were real people, cause they're not. "Your brain does not need this"? YOUR brain doesn't need this, speak for yourself, my brain does enjoy watching an amazing, brilliant film. And by the way, the movie actually depicts how violent and racist America used to be, so don't come with that "too much violence is not needed" bullshit.

Jan 25 - 01:40 PM

rodycaz

Rodycaz V

"Disrespect for human life"? Dude, I don't know if you're aware that this is a movie, it's fiction with the purpose of entertaining. Any mature, intelligent person would be able to distinguish between reality and fiction so stop talking about this characters as if they were real people, cause they're not. "Your brain does not need this"? YOUR brain doesn't need this, speak for yourself, my brain does enjoy watching an amazing, brilliant film. And by the way, the movie actually depicts how violent and racist America used to be, so don't come with that "too much violence is not needed" bullshit.

Jan 25 - 01:40 PM

Itmar Jameson

Itmar Jameson

I think Tarantino's over-exaggeration of violence in his movies is a direct jab at part of his audience. He presents violence in a comical way, meanwhile providing satisfaction for the people who 'just want to see shooting'..

Jan 25 - 04:17 AM

Yune Kwon

Yune Kwon

Fritz, not to offend you, but I think you have been living in a safehouse for the entirety of your life. The disrespect for human life, although it might not be common in the industrialized first world, such as the US, most of Europe, etc., is very common in less developed countries such as Somalia, Vietnamese ghettos, hell, even Harlem back in the 70's. Although you might think its excessively violent, that is how it was for most slaves back during the 1800's. Although there might not have been that much gore, the violence is not uncommon for something set in the harsh south of the 1800's. Oh, and this isn't supposed to be a movie for kids. This is for people who wanted a badass action ride.

Jan 25 - 03:32 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

his movies shows the truth. slaves were actually treated that poorly. dont get mad cause the black guy was the only survivor at the end

Jan 16 - 05:32 PM

RF2013

Richard Foster

Don't be ridiculous, Tarantino makes great movies and Django Unchained is badass.

Jan 16 - 04:16 PM

David Kraus

David Kraus

You used the word "unholy." Your argument is invalid.

Jan 16 - 12:31 PM

Yune Kwon

Yune Kwon

High Five, man!

Jan 25 - 03:32 AM

Roberto Ciamora

Roberto Ciamora

My thoughts exactly

Jan 25 - 06:27 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Perfect

Jan 27 - 05:52 PM

Nick Klein

Nick Klein

Dear Fritz, I am so glad we aren't related. That said...

What is a movie? For me it is an escape. Not necessarily a chance to be a passenger on a space ship, an international man of mystery, or a slave turned bounty hunter, but an escape from my everyday. Where I go to work and deal with the realities that ARENT present at the movies.

I'm not going to tell you that you are wrong, some people yes, are impacted to their deficit. But most, likely those with quality parenting and education, can differentiate reality from entertainment. And that is what Django was. Entertainment. It was a ride, unlike any other movie I saw this year. What did you find more entertaining this year? Taken 2? Frankenweenie? Prometheus? Man on a ledge? The Dark Knight Rises? The Avengers?

QT is "overrated" or in my opinion, "Appreciated" for his continual ability to surprise, shock, and entertain. When you go to a QT movie, you don't go for the violence, you go for the experience, the experience of seeing a movie that had considerable thought and motivation put into every aspect, from the camera angle, the length of the shot, the color of the clothes and similarly the ambiance of the set. And in particular with QT, the SOUNDtrack.

I have gathered that you don't like QTs movies. But you make an awful lot of assumptions about the motivations of the people that enjoy his work. It's art on screen. And it is far more beutiful art than 98% of the garbage coming out of the industry. (No I haven't seen 98% of all movies, but I see a lot of movies, and most leave you wanting, most don't result in such great debate, most you can predict, most you don't even know the writer or directors name, but you do with QTs movies, you cry conspiracy(an unholy alliance were your words) I call it a consensus on quality.)

Jan 16 - 12:12 AM

Stirge  F.

Stirge Fluton

It's ok if you are disturbed by his films, I recommend avoiding them. There is nothing wrong with you. It's the same reason I don't watch beheading videos. Personally, QT's films get me thinking and I can look past most of the meaningless violence... just don't watch, but please don't preach to others what they can handle or not.

Jan 15 - 08:23 PM

Leo Figueroa

Leo Figueroa

Dont watch his movies then

Jan 15 - 07:20 PM

Christopher Stachulak

Christopher Stachulak

I don't know, I thought Jamie Foxx was off the chain.

Jan 15 - 07:12 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

I agree with you on the way Tarantino sadistically enjoys violence. I thought "Pulp Fiction" was abominable, but it was also very reminiscent of surrealist experiences as far as they are worth. When you see a movie of his, it'll most likely end on the way you least thought it could. Tarantino is sick, no doubt. However, I thought "Inglourious Basterds" was a very successful satire, and "Django Unchained" particularly is a thorough examination of racism in the 19th Century. It was extremely violent, but that was meant to portray the inhumanity of Southern American society at the time.

Jan 15 - 11:56 AM

Jerry Kegley

Jerry Kegley

yall r crazy its a damn movie and a damn good one at that.

Jan 14 - 07:12 PM

Jerry Kegley

Jerry Kegley

yall r crazy its a damn movie and a damn good one at that.

Jan 14 - 07:12 PM

Esselyn Kubrick

Esselyn Kubrick

Of course with a 94% like from the audience, there's plenty of wannabe disfavor.

Jan 14 - 02:14 PM

Michael Janover

Michael Janover

I agree with you, Fritz. As talented and smart as QT is, I wonder why he tries to "speak the truth" through exploitation movies and either ridiculous caricatures or simple two-dimensional characters. He says this movie is about slavery. No, it isn't. It's a revenge movie that uses slavery as motivation. If QT weren't so focused on being a rock star and ultra-cool, I'd have more respect for these not-great movies that are treated as if they were actually great. Yes, he has style and smarts. But his taste is in the crapper. You can be stupid and smart (IDIOCRACY, for example), but you can't make excellent trash and call it genius. It is what it is, period.

Jan 14 - 01:52 PM

Steve Trutanich

Steve Trutanich

oh ya one more thing. That movie speaks to black folks who have no mind of their own. Django was an individual, and to succeed it is imperative your personality is detached TO A DEGREE. You know how many black people were laughing in the theatre, right behind me? none

Jan 14 - 11:18 AM

Steve Trutanich

Steve Trutanich

for some people, not you, there is pent up anger. For some people, not you, certain films lead to a quasi catharsis. It feels good, even he overdid the blood shed IN MY OPINION

Jan 14 - 11:15 AM

Esselyn Kubrick

Esselyn Kubrick

There is no problem except for those antagonized by heroic mythology. The stylized violence is as old as Greek theatre, which "celebrated" tragedy and comedy in days-long staging of warfare and battle. Django reflects violent disgust with the holocaust that is slavery of every kind. It spotlights the condescension of purportedly superior species, and revels in their methodical destruction. Euripedes would be proud.

Jan 14 - 09:02 AM

Nozomi Suzuki

Nozomi Suzuki

Although I'll admit that Tarantino has some talent, and can make a bad B movie script look like a somewhat decent B movie, his overall aesthetic philosophy is destructive to the art form of filmmaking, in my opinion.

Jan 14 - 07:51 AM

Jack Forey

Jack Forey

Destructive to the art form of film making? How so? Film is not just one thing, it can be anything. Tarantino has integrity, and makes the films he wants to see, and lots of people love his films for that.

Feb 4 - 11:50 PM

Nozomi Suzuki

Nozomi Suzuki

Although I'll admit that Tarantino has some talent, and can make an even bad B movie script look like a somewhat decent B movie, his overall aesthetic philosophy is destructive to the art form of filmmaking, in my opinion.

Jan 14 - 07:33 AM

Nozomi Suzuki

Nozomi Suzuki

Although I'll admit that Tarantino has talent, and can make an even B movie script look like a A movie, his overall aesthetic philosophy is destructive to the art form of filmmaking, in my opinion.

Jan 14 - 07:24 AM

Richard Leche

Richard Leche

Wow Fritz, go watch Pixar movie!

Jan 11 - 10:46 PM

Nozomi Suzuki

Nozomi Suzuki

Not a single constructive argument made by you, Richard. Why does the truth (which you clearly can't comprehend) upset you so much?

Jan 14 - 07:30 AM

Zane B

Chum Chum

good argument?
Your last name is the name of a car! Your opinion is no longer valid!

Jan 27 - 05:53 PM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

Take out the h's in your name, and then by your logic,YOUR argument is the invalid one.
Fags these days............

Mar 2 - 01:39 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Thanks for telling us how to think in your last sentence. If you have a problem with Tarantino, don't see his movies.

Jan 11 - 05:41 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

right ! why go see it you moron

Jan 11 - 06:33 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

Hollis, I am only watching them so I can give you informed grief about your preference for them :)

Jan 13 - 04:56 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

well you have already said you have never enjoyed ant of Tarantino's movies yet you still go watch them and complain, so that is stupidity on your part :)

Jan 13 - 06:57 PM

Hunter Primm

Hunter Primm

In other words, Fritz, you're a troll.

Feb 28 - 01:25 PM

Alex Reyes

Alex Reyes

I'd have disagree with most point brought on by Fritz. While there is a substantial amount of violence, I've really never felt that QT trivialized or disrespected human life. And while he isn't the greatest director ever,to assert that he's overrated and that his fans are "stupid", "mentally hyperactive nerdboy" and have an "insane fetish for violence" is pretty heavy handed, and the latter is pretty insulting. In fact I'd argue that he treats his violence with the weight and responsibility it deserves.
Let's work chronologically through his catalog.
Reservoir dogs: I quote you, "An exception is Reservoir Dogs which has considerable depth in the drama department"
Pulp Fiction: lets focus on 2 of the most graphic/violent events. First, Butch and Marcellus Wallace. Let's notice that death of the boxer Butch kills is never shown. Butch hitting Wallace with the car, in the mind of Butch's character, is a survival instinct to flee, and is far from senseless. Then comes the following rape scene. I'll give you credit in that the rape/gimp/and guy watching is weird for the sake of weird. But let's also take into account, the redemption and poetic justice. In the scene, Butch could easily leave, but turns back to save Wallace, a man that wants to kill him over a rigged boxing match. We see one character recognize the value of another human life. The execution and violence that follow are just in the sense that one can imagine Zed and company have done this before. While Wallace acts out of revenge on Zed, in the larger scale, he is ridding the world of an abuser of human life. Again, redemption plays a role in Wallace recognizing what Butch did, and letting him go...with conditions.
2nd, we can look at the scenes where the duo retrieve the briefcase and kill all the young guys, and when marvin gets shot. The violence is needed to set up the long play and development of Jewels and Vince. A horrible event occurs, and the 2 goons are pretty much unphased by the loss of human life, and instead argue about who's fault it was. This juxtaposition if needed for the development of Jewels and Vince. Same with the argument about who's on "brain detail". Later, the mexican stand off in the diner. Jewels has developed a sense for human life, and instead of killing anyone, allows the criminals to go. Meanwhile Vince, who is unchanged by the events of the day, expresses his need to "shoot them on principal". While the violence of the earlier scene is over the top, it does help drive home how much Jewels has changed, especially when compared to Vince. We also see how, Vince with his unchanged outlook, dies, while Jewels, the one who valued human life, doesn't.
Jackie Brown: a far less violent and more drama driven film. The characterization of violent, disrespectful to human life, etc doesn't aptly apply here.
Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2: A greek tragedy at its core, filled with a love triangle, (elle, bill, and Beatrix), betrayal of a lover, a rise from the ashes, and an epic tale of revenge or wrath. It is a "gargantuan" tale, and the bride is a fantastically developed and written character. The violence shows the bride's wrath. This woman fought death, defeated an army, and exacted revenge on her betrayers. yes, its over the top violent, but done so to express the mountain she has to climb for her revenge. In the context of the movie, the violence is no more senseless than a greek myth or Beowulf. In fact, theres a scene early on, where the bride recognizes what she's doing, whos shes affecting, and offers the daughter of Cottommouth her rightful revenge when she's of age. We also see the bride isn't a 1 dimensional monster when she discovers her daughter lived. While she cannot forgive the man who tried to kill her, its shown that she is conflicted and still feels for him. Lets also look at the Emilio scene, where QT directly identifies the difference and impact and weigh of life and death.
Inglorious Basterds: A certain amount of violence is expected in any war movie, but lets focus on the mutilation scene of Landa, and the bear jew baseball scene. The bear jew scene epitomizes the lack of humanity. But to paraphrase Aldo, they're fighting an enemy who has no humanity. The audience walks into the movie knowing its a WWII movie, that nazis are the bad guys, and from Aldo's monologue, they are there to be as violent as possible in a guerilla warfare situation to send a message. This scene accomplishes that. It contextualizes the depths that these men have sunk to. This isn't presented as the norm or acceptable. This violence is presented extreme, inhumane, and that the small team of men recognize this, accept the weight of the situation, and proceed. The mutilations, as shown and described, aren't senseless either. They're, again, recognized as wrong. Aldo recognizes he'll face discplinary action, but his sense of justice dictates that Landa cannot and will not get away with his actions.
Django:Extremely violent, yes. T

Jan 11 - 05:00 PM

Ben Thompson

Ben Thompson

Don't forget that when Butch was able to escape from Maynard and Zed and decided to come back for Marsellus, everything he did during the following scenes, which included executing Maynard, reflects the story that Captain Koons told earlier about two people taking certain responsibilities for each other.

Mar 28 - 05:57 AM

Jake R.

Jake Rainey

Fritz, i will agree with you that this film shows a direspect for Human life, however i firmly believe that it was a major part of this film. I believe that this film was a very historicly correct film in the setting and the beliefs of the major characters, the film deals with a society where lives are directely equilavent to a sum of money. This idea is set out quite near the begining that this does not just refer to the slave trade but to the bounty hunter buissness that Christoph Waltz is involved in. Now Di Caprio and Waltz have been involved in their buissness's for a long time, now when there character grows up with it or has been killing for a long time for money of course human life eventually seems to be worth much less as they are so used to. In fact this i believe is the main evloution we see in the character of Django, at his killing is in the act of vengence and a need to so that he himself is free to find his wife which is much easier, later he questions his killing and eventually at the end he kills needlessly when he and his wife could have just left. I believe this shows very realisticly what happens in todays to many people whether involved in crime or are part of some warlords army in africa, all across the world there is direspect for human life and i believe that this direspect was the main focus of this particular film so is very much needed.

Jan 11 - 12:31 PM

M O.

M O

Thanks Fritz, I can't wait to see am movie you direct. It sounds like it would be amazing.

Jan 11 - 12:18 PM

Tim Ziegler

Tim Ziegler

stupid

Jan 11 - 10:26 AM

John Ace

John Ace

Tarantino is an overindulgent adolescent who saw and loved too many 70s B movies. Django? Silly, dumb and most of all boring.

Jan 11 - 06:00 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

agreed

Jan 11 - 09:47 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

too bad

Jan 11 - 04:29 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

I think this might be a part of the truth, but I think there is more to his phenomenon - they do seem to hit a strange spot both with certain parts of the movie audience and critics... I'm on quest to find out what's going on.

Jan 13 - 05:01 PM

Miguel Clarke

Miguel Clarke

This is no weird conspiracy where critics tell me to like Tarantino movies. I went to watch one, I liked it. Then I went to watch another one, I liked it too. Does it make me dumb? In your opinion yes. You can expect some backlash from this type of comment. You seem to be smart and have strong opinions, I used to be bothered by what I could not comprehend/share in taste of films/music too. Talk about your point of view and let go of the conspiracy theory.

Jan 27 - 04:42 PM

Nathan Ellis

Nathan Ellis

There is a scene in Django Unchained where Django feels uncomfortable about killing a man in front of his son. The tone of this scene is intentional and leaves the audience feeling as uncomfortable as Django does. Not only does a philosophical conversation take place during this scene about the pros and cons of a man dying in front of a family member, the value of human life is taken into consideration. The contrast of bounty hunting versus slavery is also explored in length. His movies challenge the audience with catharsis, the juxtaposition of over the top and comical violence used for the reprehensible characters and the realistic violence used to show the horrors of slavery is on purpose. In this film and in Inglorious Basterds, Quentin plays with audience reaction, we get enjoyment out of watching jewish soldiers kill nazis while the nazis in the movie enjoy the film about a german sniper killing americans. Tarantino is not an idiot.

Jan 9 - 10:56 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

I think you are right, if you are smart&knowledgeable enough, you get removed from the actual discomfort of seeing someone die by seeing the action from the meta-level.
...and if you don't think that you just have a the "excitement button" pushed by seeing someone shoot someone else.

The verdict I am supporting is not that Tarantino is stupid, but what I think is true that the drama in his movies has the footprint of a psychopath.

Jan 13 - 08:06 PM

Stirge  F.

Stirge Fluton

I could see him as a serial killer, if he was not directing films and putting all of his energy into his art.

Jan 15 - 08:35 PM

Miguel Clarke

Miguel Clarke

You could say this about any horror film director...

Jan 27 - 04:45 PM

Jack Forey

Jack Forey

Fritz, a big part of this whole thing that you don't realize is that violence on the screen is different from violence is life. It's no different than getting an image of punching someone you don't like in your head. It's a fantasy. Do we actually punch that person? No. Why? Because our desire for social acceptance is greater and deeper than our desire for physical violence against those we dislike. We don't always hold back, but everybody is different. Obviously, there are those that kill. But since that's been going on for a million years (at least for us humans), I don't think it's safe to say that films are causing it. Can a film influence someone's attitude? Sure, but you will always be a certain type of person one way or another. The point is, if you have it in you to kill someone and you only need to be pushed far enough, chances are a movie isn't going to do that to you. If it does, well...you were going to be pushed whether you saw Django killing whiteys or not. All of this being said, there are movies that are spectacularly more violent than Tarantino's work, yet those are not criticized because that's what we *expect* from those movies. Tarantino infuses a liveliness and humanity and music in his characters and dialogue, and after all that talking we see something violent happen and it shocks us. There is little actual blood in Pulp Fiction, and most of the violence is off screen. Not to mention, many lives were actually saved in that movie as well.
Alright, I'm going a little too far. Whole books have been written about this. Point is, film is an illusion. Within it, so is death. The death, the violence we imagine in our heads is also an illusion. If we deny the savage parts that exist in our very nature, we deny our own humanity. A part of the artistic mindset involves taking what we know and turning into something new, that hopefully inspires like minded thoughts in others. Those thoughts, in the context of Tarantino's work, are not "kill people." If we could hear what those thoughts sound like, it might be something like, "Hey, doesn't that piss you off? Imagine killing that guy! Doesn't that make you feel better?"

Feb 5 - 12:05 AM

Colin Macpherson

Colin Macpherson

Fritz, obviously you won't win this 'discussion' as the popularity of the Tarantino movies suggests. The world we live in is sick big time and trying to convince fellow 'movie lovers' on this forum is a thankless task. A response of 'don't watch it then' just shows naivety. It's amazing how many 'critics' mention they're not going to rush out and kill someone after watching this movie.... obviously this is true but I believe the point is a few more would than otherwise would might. I believe it does it create an increased propensity for violence and anger.... I think yes, you might not kill anyone but you may be more prone to aggression or lash out at someone! The subtle affect this type of movie, in addition to the violent games etc, is destroying our society by becoming acceptable. We live in a society where pretty much anything goes, where many children are becoming uncontrollable due to the inability to impose boundaries, as is the example set by society as a whole, via parents, schools, governments etc. My personal opinion is that most of this emanates from the US.... and the rest of the western world blindly accepts their lead. I can't see how this can change with the 'anything goes' attitude of most of the respondents on here. Fritz you are not alone so never fear.... most intelligent people would no not to watch a Tarantino movie and therefore not end up on this thread.... which I stumbled upon! I'm with you Fritz!

Jan 9 - 04:30 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

some people realize it's a movie, and have self control. maybe thats why people dont kill each other because of a tarantino movie...

Jan 9 - 05:58 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Your entire argument is naive. If someone went out and killed or attacked people after they have seen this movie, then they would have done it even without this movie. Most intelligent people know this.

Jan 10 - 11:02 PM

Jake R.

Jake Rainey

Would just like to make a quick comment on you saying on "violent games etc, is destroying our society", it has been proved by many psychologists that there are many more benefits to playing video games then a very weakly supported con with little to no evidence. Research shows that they greatly improve reaction time and teach skills that cannot simply be taught in a class.

Jan 11 - 12:43 PM

Richard Leche

Richard Leche

Colin, your navel gazing is injurious to your health. To take this movie as a glorification of violence is so naÔve as to be alarming. Seeing a Tarantino film is to see violence not as a glorification of it but rather a parody.

Jan 11 - 10:50 PM

Miguel Clarke

Miguel Clarke

You discuss in order to 'win' discussions? That tuned me off the rest of your comment. I skimmed through it and it seemed to me that your comment is very naive, which would be in line with the perceived immaturity that you go out there to preach and 'win' discussions instead of having conversations to arrive at a higher level of shared truth.

Jan 27 - 04:49 PM

Colin Macpherson

Colin Macpherson

Totally agree..... absolute mind numbing crap created for juveniles!

Jan 9 - 03:26 PM

Richard Leche

Richard Leche

But you just couldn't not go and see it?

Jan 11 - 10:51 PM

Master Christopher

Master Christopher

Well, everybody gets something different out of the movies they watch. Just because you disagree with some critics, it does not make them "misguided".

Jan 9 - 08:15 AM

Josh McCrillis

Josh McCrillis

Normally one might agree, but to call the content of this movie "insane" or that it lacks substance apart from the violence is completely absurd. This world isn't filled with fluffy cotton candy clouds and rainbows. If this movie gives you psychopathic thoughts, as fritz might claim it does, then I can assume you have not seen many films or you just have a very naive view of the world.

Jan 14 - 06:56 AM

Hisham Fangary

Hisham Fangary

Well why don't you let us enjoy the "lowest form of entertainment", and stop acting all offended. We actually enjoy these blaxploitation/western throwback style of moviemaking. I hate horror movies, but I'm not going to get all offended at the gore because its not in my taste, I simply won't watch Horror movies!
What you describe as an insane fetish for violence is laughable to me. As violent and gory as this movie was, it doesn't even compare to "Saw" or a whole swath of other movies whose entire focus and plot is about gore, blood, and torture. This is easily one of the most enjoyable films of the year.

Jan 9 - 05:03 AM

moovai

Fritz Klein

Agreed, the "Saw" series is a lot worse.
If someone likes to watch that... so be it, as long as you don't expect me to own a gun to defend myself against you.

But - be honest - could you imagine "Saw" getting the "Palme D'Or" at the Cannes film festival or being nominated for seven Oscars?

Jan 9 - 01:36 PM

Brice Belian

Brice Belian

QT makes ultra violent movies and he's very good at it.
His movies are untertaining and usually in "parallel realities" so they don't refer to historical facts.
Personally I love his movies and I'm not planning to kill anyone in the next few days.
If you want to see real humans getting killed in larger numbers go to Central Africa.

Jan 8 - 11:24 PM

Stirge  F.

Stirge Fluton

or go to Chicago.

Jan 15 - 08:37 PM

mathew h.

mathew haskins

Fritz, I respectfully have a few questions for you. First, may I ask if you actually saw this movie? Based on you strong opinions about Tarantino as a movie maker I suspect not. And yet this leads me to ask if you are blasting a movie you haven't seen? If so, why should we take anything you have to say about this movie seriously. Is it ok in your world to critique art that you have no first hand engagement with? So, forgive me but if you haven't seen Django your opinions about the movie are at best uniformed and at worst intelectually fraudulent.

On the other hand, if you have seen the movie (and apparently every other Tarantino movie) on what grounds do you have to castigate the rest of us for being complicit in some sort of grave moral failing? (And make no mistake about it Fritz, castigating us for seeing this movie is exactly what you're doing). It's clear that your problem with Tarantino is not just artistic but deeply moral. His movies in your opinion are not simply bad but reflect some "unholy alliance" of critical cowardice, crass commercial culture, and a widespread social fetish for violence. Your post here isn't a review, it's a mini-jeremiad. And yet you yourself seem to return again and again to the moral cesspool that is the filmography of Quentin Tarantino. You dramatically implore us to "Walk out of the movie theater while you can." But when are you going to walk out? Why are you so special that your brain can see these horrible violent movies but our brains don't need it?

So, I'm struck--which is it? Are you talking about a movie you haven't seen or are you condemning all of us doing exactly what you do?

And three quick last question--which has a higher body count Pulp Fiction or Macbeth? Where do more people come to a violent end Jackie Brown or Romeo and Juliet? Which has higher murder rate Resevoir Dogs or Titus Andronicus? And for the record it's not even close.

Jan 8 - 02:13 AM

Chris Rolewicz

Chris Rolewicz

It's a movie, It's fake! Relax. I really felt sorry for all of those murderous slave holders being killed.

Jan 7 - 08:25 PM

Andras Nagy

Andras Nagy

The simple peeps have shitty taste, like in everything clothing food etc.

Jan 7 - 06:30 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

whats clothing food? how was it ?

Jan 7 - 06:32 PM

Andras Nagy

Andras Nagy

if Les Miserables=Filet Mignon dinner this flick is a bean Burrito from a roach diner on wheels....

Jan 7 - 06:34 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

mmmmmmmm burritos !

Jan 7 - 06:39 PM

Hisham Fangary

Hisham Fangary

mmmmmmmmmmmmm roach diner!

Jan 9 - 05:05 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

You take that back right now

Jan 10 - 11:04 PM

Alex Alameda

Alex Alameda

I think this was one of his best movies. There was a lot more to it then just mindless killing and the action that was done was done well. You don't go and see a Tarantino movie and expect a heart warming love story for the children. Seems that all the critics and most of the country like this move. That leaves one common denominator. I believe we all know what the "smart" problem is.

Jan 7 - 04:03 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

In Germany, a whole nation liked it that groups of people had to wear stickers that marked them as sub-humans.
Then they were transported to the concentration camps and subjected to all kinds of unspeakable cruelties.
Tarantino puts people marked as "virtual" and "not real" into a story where have to abuse and brutally kill each other and puts that on the screen for millions to see with the help of Weinstein.
He turns the screen into a concentration camp in which characters are being ridiculously staged, abused and killed just for the sake of it.
Palme d'Or.

Jan 9 - 02:18 PM

mathew h.

mathew haskins

And out comes the Nazi card! You loose the argument Fritz. When you have to drag the Nazis into your argument you should know it's time to stop talking. For Godsake, comparing a movie to the Holocaust!

Jan 9 - 02:40 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

I do definitely admit that this last comment was over the top.
But then again, what else would you compare it to? :|

Jan 9 - 06:50 PM

Pointman

Point Man

Well some of these replies didn't read further than the title... someone would think I was blatantly bashing rofl

Jan 7 - 03:24 PM

James Williams

James Williams

So, you're calling me stupid for not seeing a problem with it? Thanks. Just because you don't appreciate the gore, guts and style he has, doesn't make everyone else wrong or some kind of psycho.

There are a whole bucket list of movies for you if you're not into a gritty movie like Django or Inglorious Basterds. Toy Story or Wall-E sound perfect for you.

You're what I assume to be one of those people who'd like the internet blocked, filtered and moulded to your specific ideals & someone that would force your kids to live in a bubble of glitter and cushions.

Jan 7 - 01:42 PM

Rami Nawfal

Rami Nawfal

Nicely said there!

Jan 7 - 02:06 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

I do actually like Wall-E a lot.
But no, I am not advocating any "bubbling" at all.
I just honestly think that Tarantino produces insanity, and the people who watch it don't even realize it.
His films get carried on the one hand by people who enjoy the violence and the gore like Tarantino himself, and on the other hand by - apologies - misguided critics who see his films on the intellectual level of genre references etc.
There is a whole world - actually probably the *entire world* dropped in the middle, and the mainstream gets somehow dragged along.
89% on rottentomatoes! Give me a break.

Jan 9 - 01:43 PM

Richard Leche

Richard Leche

But you just had to watch it...give me a break!

Jan 11 - 10:56 PM

David Donze

David Donze

I've been thinking about this film for the last few days, and I'd like to throw a few things back at you.

The idea that "smart critics" over rate Tarantino presumes that there is such a thing as intelligent criticism being widely disseminated. I don't think there is, but that's just an opinion. I will say that one of the few critics I think of as intelligent and informed is Milos Stehlik. I listened to his review of the movie this morning, and he was clearly not a fan of this movie. Also, I feel like this particular movie needs to be considered separately from Tarantino's other work. If not an actual auteur, he is clearly a style over substance film maker, who isn't very good with complex themes or profound topics. He's good at bringing his hyperactive, violent fantasy life to the movies. The products are exploitative, bloody, stereotype-filled, and often entertaining popcorn fare. The man is not Stanley Kubrick. This is known.

The problem, for me, with this movie is that it's not well made. The narrative flow that Tarantino mastered in Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, and Reservoir Dogs is not there in Django. Those other, better movies were stylistic successes of nonlinear narrative and excellent pacing. There was much less compelling characters and story in Django, and I was puzzled during the whole movie over when he was going to give us something about the main character to like. At the end, I ad to figure that Tarantino assumed that since the character is an ex-slave, the audience doesn't need more than his quest to find his wife. But, that's just not compelling. Not enough, at least. The Waltz character is interesting, even unique, but he is not there for the third act, and the movie just spins out into empty gunfights and blood. When your violence is as cartoonish as Tarantino makes it, you can't pretend that is has any dramatic value. The guy who spends the whole movie killing white people kills some more white people in the climax? Fascinating.

Ultimately, the movie is undisciplined, and way, way, way too long. It's sloppy story telling, and in my opinion disrespectful of the subject matter. In Inglorious Basterds, there were characters we wanted to see win because of their stories, and because killing Nazis is pretty much universally accepted as OK, at least in movies. Killing slavers could be seen as a parallel to that, but without more for he audience to relate to with Django, it's just empty and seems hateful in a twisted way. Maybe there isn't enough allegory here, maybe Tarantino just assumes that he doesn't have to explain why the slavers should all die, and Django should kill them. Whatever he was thinking, the result is a boring shell of what at most could have been a fairly entertaining popcorn flick.

Jan 7 - 01:02 PM

Richard Leche

Richard Leche

The ethics of slavery need to be explained? WTF

Jan 11 - 10:58 PM

Dody Adkins

Dody Adkins

Then don't go see his movies. Sounds to me like you rather enjoy them if you're going to see picture after picture of his. Bloodbaths are his style.

Jan 7 - 07:10 AM

Stephen Beckwith

Stephen Beckwith

Get off your high horse you self righteous douche. It's entertainment. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. Having an opinion in one way or the other makes you neither smart nor stupid. You are the stupid one for not realizing that.

Jan 7 - 04:56 AM

Colin Macpherson

Colin Macpherson

You've just won the award for the least intelligent responce so far!

Jan 9 - 03:37 PM

Chris Phelan

Chris Phelan

A non intelligent response to a non intelligent original post In my opinion.

Jan 15 - 05:14 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

I understand where you're coming from. Tarantino films lack character development. But at the same time that adds a certain level of extra regret to his death scenes. It's not about the violence it's the fact that the camera doesn't show it all the way that makes it feel so much colder.

That being said his movies can't be judged on a level of character development or story structure, because then they'd be looked at like misguided overlong overrated genre films. But his characters don't represent real people they represent extensions of Tarantino's personality and what he deems cool. Tarantino is not overrated he's extremely as talented as people say. Now his movies aren't as good as they can be so yeah most if not all of his movies are overrated. Except maybe Reservoir Dogs which can have a emotional impact, real characters, and is an important film. Pulp Fiction is a fun movie but it's not some grandiose tour de force

Jan 5 - 05:01 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

tarantino is nowhere near overrated. now go get Dr. king schultz

Dec 31 - 11:36 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

He's severly overrated or at least his movies are

Jan 5 - 04:56 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

how

Jan 5 - 01:03 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

imho many of his movies are actually quite trivial and boring, with the only thing that keeps you watching is that there will be violence again in a moment.

Jan 6 - 08:46 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

imho many of his movies are actually quite trivial and boring, the only thing that keeps you watching is that there will be violence again in a moment.

Jan 6 - 08:47 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

imho once you subtract the insane amounts of violence many of his movies are actually quite trivial and boring.

Jan 6 - 08:49 PM

Holden Berry

Holden Berry

I disagree to that, especially in Django. Aside from the violence it was still all around entertaining. He added in perhaps one of the funniest scenes I've seen in a non-comedy film this whole year (The raid scene). The violence in this movie was also to pay a tribute to old westerns. And taking the violence out of movies is an absurd idea, people die from violence everyday, it happens.

Jan 7 - 12:01 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

well thats not the case..so...

Jan 7 - 04:30 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

I feel like people are so quick to make excuses For Tarantino. Like the fact that you're so appalled that somebody doesn't care for him shows the level of overrated he is. He's makes fun solid movies. Even Pulp Fiction is just a collage of cool shit that Tarantino ripped off, I mean homaged from other mediums. In 14 years you'll look back and say damn I see what they're saying he's good but he's not the best director ever. i'm guessing you're a teenager sir?

Jan 8 - 03:24 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

yeah, and in 14 years im not going to ever think about a stupid argument on rotten tomatoes...

Jan 8 - 07:23 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

my prediction is that the future will consider these movies to be extremely weird.
In 2027, it is going to look like this:
http://dft.ba/-3ts2

Jan 9 - 01:53 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

well hopefully you'll take tarantino's dick out of your mouth and move on to more mature and better directors

Jan 11 - 09:48 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

and hopefully you stop living in your moms basement and take off that gay toy story t shirt punk ass bitch. besides i bet my taste in movies is way better than yours, by a million miles guaranteed.

Jan 11 - 04:32 PM

Hunter Primm

Hunter Primm

More mature. You're the one being a bully by saying the phrase "Hopefully you'll take Tarantino's dick out of your mouth"

Feb 28 - 02:46 PM

Hunter Primm

Hunter Primm

So you are the less mature here.

Feb 28 - 02:46 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

dumb cunt

Mar 16 - 03:58 PM

Ivy Miles

Ivy Miles

Fritz, I must respectfully ask you to "get off of your high horse." I understand the importance of human life. I exhibit empathy, more so than others at times, including sympathy and remorse. I crave utopia and perfection; but the fact is--humans aren't perfect. Our world is flawed.

When we sleep our dreams are illusion. We can dream of utopia or whatever we like; but when we are awake, movies become the vehicle by which we are able to manifest our dreams and make our vision of utopia, or whatever else we can dream of, a reality.

Many of us 'stupid people' abhor violence in reality and I personally feel most movies are drivel. I wouldn't recommend Tarantino to children or the mentally unstable. Just know that the average human being isn't going to act on anything in a Quentin Tarantino film. To be fair to him, he also didn't invent violence; he's not the first to depict violence in movies, and he won't be the last. Violence is apart of our world. Be thankful you live in these United States and have never been the victim of your everyday gang rape, having had acid thrown in your face, been set on fire, or lost limbs to land mines.

In reality, I say forgive. When I go to the movies, I let go and let the "id" loose. It's cathartic to see evil men getting their just desserts on screen

Dec 31 - 08:31 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

I can see the point about catharsis, but Tarantino is not writing greek tragedies, for him killing is just a fun thing to show.
(An exception is Reservoir Dogs which has considerable depth in the drama department)
Did you really ever "get" how angry "the Bride" in Kill Bill supposedly was, or the motivations of the killings in "Pulp Fiction" -
it's not about catharsis, it's rather that killing is a cool thing so when do we get to it.
I don't know - if this is really how people are and what people want to see they should be ashamed.

Jan 4 - 09:16 AM

Hisham Fangary

Hisham Fangary

Fritz, were you born yesterday? You seem to have some kind of vendetta against Tarantino himself ("for him killing is just a fun thing to show") as if 90% of movies out there aren't filled with dead bodies and explosions and torture and violence! Where is your constructive criticism?
I'm not even sure what your problem is, are you of the opinion that showing killing on the screen creates psycopaths?

Jan 9 - 05:16 AM

moovai

Fritz Klein

There aren't a lot of people so obviously rejoicing in the construction of human bodies on the screen that get Oscars and Palmes d'Or.
What you see may not immediately make you a violent person, but it will influence the way you think by means of metaphor.
It's up to everyone to watch out over their sanity but I don't think it can be a good thing to have people violently abusing each other in your mind when you think or have an argument.
It simply can not be a good thing no matter how you turn it, and I'm just wondering what it is in people's daily lives that makes them enjoy seeing things like that. It seems like everyone is already sick to start with.
Scary.
But go ahead... I'm just sayin'.

Jan 9 - 02:05 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

...de-construction... of course :)

Jan 9 - 02:07 PM

Richard Leche

Richard Leche

You are more than confused Fritz :-(

Jan 11 - 11:01 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

Hey Richard, why don't you post some arguments we can discuss instead of all these insults - wouldn't that be a better use of your time?
After all, you already went into the trouble of reading all of this?

Jan 13 - 07:51 PM

Ivy Miles

Ivy Miles

Fritz, I must respectfully ask you to "get off of your high horse." I understand the importance of human life. I exhibit empathy, more so than others at times, including sympathy and remorse. I crave utopia and perfection; but the fact is--humans aren't perfect. Our world is flawed.

When we sleep our dreams are illusion. We can dream of utopia or whatever we like, but when we are awake, movies become the vehicle by which we are able to manifest our dreams and make our vision of utopia, or whatever else we can dream of, a reality.

Many of us 'stupid people' abhor violence in reality and I personally feel most movies are drivel. I wouldn't recommend Tarantino to children or the mentally unstable. Just know that the average human being isn't going to act on anything in a Quentin Tarantino film. To be fair to him, he also didn't invent violence; he's not the first to depict violence in movies, and he won't be the last. Violence is apart of our world. Be thankful you live in these United States and have never been the victim of your everyday gang rape, having had acid thrown in your face, been set on fire, or lost limbs to land mines.

In reality, I say forgive. When I go to the movies, I let go and let the "id" loose. It's cathartic to see evil men getting their just desserts on screen.

Dec 31 - 08:29 PM

Ivy Miles

Ivy Miles

When we sleep our dreams are illusion. We can dream of utopia or whatever we like, but when we are awake, movies become the vehicle by which we are able to manifest our dreams and make our vision of utopia, or whatever else we can dream of, a reality.

Many of us 'stupid people' √??√?? abhor violence in reality and I personally feel most movies are drivel. I wouldn't recommend Tarantino to children or the mentally unstable. Just know that the average human being isn't going to act on anything in a Quentin Tarantino film. To be fair to him, he also didn't invent violence; he's not the first to depict violence in movies, and he won't be the last. Violence is apart of our world. Be thankful you live in these United States and have never been the victim of a gang rape, having had acid thrown in your face, been set on fire, or lost limbs to land mines.

In reality, I say forgive. When I go to the movies, I let go and let the "id" loose. It's cathartic to see evil men getting their just desserts on screen.

Dec 31 - 08:24 PM

Ivy Miles

Ivy Miles

When we sleep our dreams are illusion. We can dream of utopia or whatever we like, but when we are awake, movies become the vehicle by which we are able to manifest our dreams and create our vision of a utopia, or whatever else we can dream of, a reality.

Many of us 'stupid people' √?¬? abhor violence in reality and I personally feel most movies are drivel. I wouldn't recommend Tarantino to children or the mentally unstable. Just know that the average human being isn't going to act on anything in a Quentin Tarantino film. To be fair to him, he also didn't invent violence; he's not the first to depict violence in movies, and he won't be the last. Violence is apart of our world. Be thankful you live in these United States and have never been the victim of a gang rape, having had acid thrown in your face, been set on fire, or lost limbs to land mines.

Dec 31 - 08:22 PM

Ivy Miles

Ivy Miles

When we sleep our dreams are illusion. We can dream of utopia or whatever we like, but when we are awake, movies become the vehicle by which we are able to manifest our dreams and create our vision of a utopia, or whatever else we can dream of, a reality.

Many of us 'stupid people' ¬? abhor violence in reality and I personally feel most movies are drivel. I wouldn't recommend Tarantino to children or the mentally unstable. Just know that the average human being isn't going to act on anything in a Quentin Tarantino film. To be fair to him, he also didn't invent violence; he's not the first to depict violence in movies, and he won't be the last. Violence is apart of our world. Be thankful you live in these United States and have never been the victim of a gang rape, having had acid thrown in your face, been set on fire, or lost limbs to land mines.

In reality, I say forgive. When I go to the movies, I let go and let the "id"√?¬? loose. It's cathartic to see evil men getting their just desserts on screen.

Dec 31 - 08:22 PM

Ivy Miles

Ivy Miles

When we sleep our dreams are illusion. We can dream of utopia or whatever we like, but when we are awake, movies become the vehicle by which we are able to manifest our dreams and create our vision of a utopia, or whatever it is we dream of a reality.

Many of us 'stupid people'¬? abhor violence in reality and I personally feel most movies are drivel. I wouldn't recommend Tarantino to children or the mentally unstable. Just know that the average human being isn't going to act on anything in a Quentin Tarantino film. To be fair to him, he also didn't invent violence; he's not the first to depict violence in movies, and he won√Ę‚?¨‚?Ęt be the last. Violence is apart of our world. Be thankful you live in these United States and have never been the victim of a gang rape, having had acid thrown in your face, been set on fire, or lost limbs to land mines.

In reality, I say forgive. When I go to the movies, I let go and let the "id"¬? loose. It's cathartic to see evil men getting their just desserts on screen.

Dec 31 - 08:19 PM

Ivy Miles

Ivy Miles

When we sleep our dreams are illusion. We can dream of utopia or whatever we like, but when we are awake, movies become the vehicle by which we are able to manifest our dreams and make the utopia, or whatever we dreamt of a reality.

Us "stupid people"¬? abhor violence in reality and I personally feel most movies are drivel. I wouldn√Ę‚?¨‚?Ęt recommend Tarantino to children or the mentally unstable. Just know that the average human being isn't going to act on anything in a Quentin Tarantino film. To be fair to him, he also didn√Ę‚?¨‚?Ęt invent violence; he√Ę‚?¨‚?Ęs not the first to depict violence in movies, and he won't be the last. Violence is apart of our world. Be thankful you live in these United States and have never been the victim of a gang rape, having had acid thrown in your face, been set on fire, or lost limbs to land mines.

In reality, I say forgive. When I go to the movies, I let go and let the √Ę‚?¨Ň?id√Ę‚?¨¬? loose. It's cathartic to see √Ę‚?¨Ň?evil√Ę‚?¨¬? men getting their just desserts on screen.

Dec 31 - 08:16 PM

Ivy Miles

Ivy Miles

When we sleep our dreams are illusion. We can dream of utopia or whatever we like, but when we are awake, movies become the vehicle by which we are able to manifest our dreams and make the utopia, or whatever we dreamt of a reality.

Many of us ‚??stupid people‚?? abhor violence in reality and I personally feel most movies are drivel. I wouldn‚??t recommend Tarantino to children or the mentally unstable. Just know that the average human being isn't going to act on anything in a Quentin Tarantino film. To be fair to him, he also didn‚??t invent violence; he‚??s not the first to depict violence in movies, and he won‚??t be the last. Violence is apart of our world. Be thankful you live in these United States and have never been the victim of a gang rape, having had acid thrown in your face, been set on fire, or lost limbs to land mines.

In reality, I say forgive. When I go to the movies, I let go and let the ‚??id‚?? loose. It's cathartic to see ‚??evil‚?? men getting their just desserts on screen.

Dec 31 - 08:14 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

Okay, so first off-- Disrespect for human life? I think Tarantino's movies actually show us why human life is so important. And do you really care if a few dozen racist bastards get their heads blown off? Sure, you can complain over the admittedly strange thrills an audience gets from it, but that's no cause for alarm. This is no different than countless zombie movies in the sense of glorifying violence.

Second off, Tarantino is NOT overrated, and his movies are not JUST about violence. Pulp Fiction features the most intrinsically entertaining and fulfilling dialogue of all time. Kill Bill is about vengeance-- and well-deserved vengeance at that. You don't get to discount a director's entire filmography just because you're too narrow-minded to see the bigger picture of what he's trying to do. If you only focus on the violence, that's your problem. Filmmakers don't need to capitulate to your unreasonable demands.

Dec 31 - 12:44 PM

moovai

Fritz Klein

Thanks for your well written reply Diego!
I must admit it surprised me a little since I usually get plastered with fowl language when I lay out my concerns.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree - I do believe in the freedom of art and I would not want any artist to conform to my taste, but in the case of Tarantino there is a weird concord between low-brow audience, hi-brow critics and the commercial interests of Hollywood.

As creative work in itself I could like or not like what Tarantino is doing, but as a phenomenon of commercial culture I find it extremely disturbing - I do not place "demands" I am only raising awareness.

In regard to his writing - I know some of his dialog is witty, but especially in Pulp Fiction, it is in fact as disrespectful to human life as the violence itself is.
His characters have no balance, they tend towards death, violence and destruction form the start.
It's just like a baroque ornament on what he is really heading for - the meat of his films is the violence, without it, his dialogues wouldn't make any sense. Nobody would care about pointless comments on foot massages unless they are two killers on their way to kill someone.

What stands out in all of his works - with exception of Jackie Brown and some of Reservoir Dogs - is a complete lack of sensitivity toward what it means to be human.
We simple are not revenge animals like that. We don't kill like that and we don't die like that.

Tarantino should do what he wants, but there is something really skewed about the way he is received.
Sorry to say, but there definitely is something wrong with people who like Tarantino, and it honestly scares me that this is so widespread and that nobody says anything about it.

Dec 31 - 01:33 PM

Vance Hopkins Jr.

Vance Hopkins Jr.

I see both sides of the argument, but THIS is WHY Tarantino's celebrated the way he is. BECAUSE he's mastered his craft by mastering it's foundation, finding a way to appeal to the carnal nature of human beings, while also appealing to the intelligence, empathy, & eccentricity, for those who are creative or intuitive enough to perceive it.

He's certainly mastered the middle of that storm, being able to have impact in subtly & extremes, all while generally bringing the best out of his actors. His characters in movies aren't always meant to be
'accurate portrayals of humanity" but sometimes actually extremely flawed, even metaphorically representative of themes or emotions through extremes in only a manner which he presents it.

I'd say you have to separate the appreciation for his artistry versus how "common" people perceive the obvious exploitation (hence the style) of violence, sex, etc. It's unfortunate, but it's the times we live in. Most people are desensitized to care when they are told to care. Take Sandy Hook for example - a tragic situation no doubt, but kids are dying everyday in Chicago & getting bombed on the Gaza strip & nobody seems to care about that in the same vein. To end on that note, it definitely seems like your beef is more with the evolving culture vs. Tarantino's mastery of it.

Dec 31 - 07:20 PM

Glenn Vaughn

Glenn Vaughn

Can't tell if stupid or trolling for replies.
But just in case, it's just a movie a work of fiction no different from a video game. Grow up a little bit.

Jan 3 - 11:52 AM

moovai

Fritz Klein

Fiction makes its way into real life by means of metaphor.
Do you really want to "shoot people" in your mind?

Jan 4 - 09:10 AM

moovai

Fritz Klein

How fiction and reality connect: Tarantino says in this interview "I am not your slave, you are not my master"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jan/11/tarantino-krishnan-guru-murthy

Jan 11 - 07:07 AM

moovai

Fritz Klein

...and following the same thought pattern,
he does not say "I am going to shoot you",
instead he says "I'm going to shut your but down".
And that his how movie violence connects to life.

Jan 11 - 07:11 AM

Joshua Young

Joshua Young

"...there definitely is something wrong with people who like Tarantino"?

Wow, I'm not even much of a Tarantino fan, and even I recognize that as a pretty fucked up, narrow-minded condescension.

Who are you, the "film-morality-culture" police? The Dalai-lama of cinema?Does this get you laid by the quiet girls at film school or something? Wow.

Jan 14 - 12:42 PM

Joseph Boward

Joseph Boward

In my opinion, Tarentino movies, in general, are simply bad cartoons. If some people like them, more power to them. Regardless, don't waste time analyzing them and, for goodness sake, don't take them seriously.

Feb 3 - 12:39 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

Oh yeah, there's something seriously wrong with Quentin Tarantino's brain, don't get me wrong. But he's not a mass murderer or something. One could make the argument that by making his on-screen deaths so violent and gory, he actually discourages violence.

Apr 5 - 06:13 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile