Weekly Ketchup: Doctor Who Returns to the Big Screen

Summary

This week's Ketchup sees Hollywood being fairly busy, presumably because of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and the long La-La-Land-style breaks off work that come along with it. This Ketchup includes news of a third Doctor Who movie, sequels for Friday and The Hunger Games, and movies based upon The Grateful Dead, Michael Jackson, LEGO and Woody Woodpecker. Back to Article

Comments

Dakota -Kapodaco- Gordon

Dakota Gordon

Rampage? Woody Woodpecker? Lego? Uhh, no.
My fear is that The Hunger Games will become the new Twilight.

Nov 18 - 08:53 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

00- My best friend LOVES this show - and it's been on TV for 800 years - but I couldn't get into it. At all.
01-Let's wait and see how the first movie does before we jump the gun. While the trailer looks promising (and the book series has a large fanbase), let's not jump the gun and assume a franchise. Remember Green Lantern?
02-I wonder what character Johnny Depp will play where he gets to wear weird makeup and phone in quirky.
03-I've never gotten her appeal. I'm a dude who loves boobs - and she's shown them aplenty - but I still don't get her appeal.
04-So many people give this shit, but I love the cinematics of the Lego videogames. Let's just hope they can sustain that fun for 80+ minutes.
05-The best biopic for the subject was NBC's movie on The Jacksons. Flex Willaims was awful. Count me out.
04-I LOVED this game as a kid at the arcades (when kids used to go to the arcades), so I'm not counting this out...yet.
03-I'll wait to see the trailer before I reserve any judgement.
02-I have the answer to the title's question. How about "The Friday After the One That Never Should've Been Made"
01-I understand this is a loved book, but...no thanks.

Nov 18 - 09:04 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

The Lego games are cool, but they're also Star Wars, Indy Jones, etc. Unless Lucas is involved, they need a lot more help to make this comparable to those games.

Nov 19 - 10:06 AM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

I see your point, and it being valid. However, I will offer this: The Lego cinematics made Star Wars Episodes I-III fun; something Lucas could not do.

Nov 20 - 12:11 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Story Story Story. I have no problem with it otherwise. We'll see.

Nov 20 - 12:32 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

It's all good. Typos happen to the best of us. "Bad spellers of the world: UNTIE!!"

Nov 18 - 09:06 PM

Ken W.

Ken Wolfson

I cannot wait for the hunger games to come out. and why the Twilight comparisons? The only similarity is that Smeyer decided to sully its good name by endorsing it. Seriously, loved the second trailer and can't wait for the movie.

Other than that, nothing really here for me.

Nov 18 - 09:06 PM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

The Twilight comparisons come about because it is another franchise with romance in it (though the romance isn't the most important part)and so the inevitable (and stupid) comparisons are made. A positive attribute for the upcoming film is that it has the talented Jennifer Lawrence in it.I, on the other hand, think that the film has promise (though I'm not too excited about it, I tend to dislike most of the modern movie franchises).

Nov 18 - 09:46 PM

chains01

Jason Wilkerson

I hate the Twilight comparisons because the whole idea of the romance in The Hunger Games is so different than it is in Twilight. Twilight is about the whole idea of vampire as celebrity and how teenage girls can get their celebrity to fall in love with them. The Hunger Games is more about the draw of two people going through life changing events as they cope with having to take a major role in the shaping of the world around them. It's that shaping of the world around them that is the most important part of Games. It relates more to the riots going on around the world seeking governmental change than it does to adolescent relationships.

And forget Stephanie Meyers recommendation, I'd rather take Stephen King's advice who said The Hunger Games was brilliant and Twilight is shite.

Nov 20 - 12:18 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Don't see how Stephanie Meyer praising the The Hunger Games is going to hurt it. On the contrary, there have been a lot of girls who have checked out the series due to Meyer's praise.

Nov 19 - 04:29 AM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

I loved Tucker in Friday 1 and Rush Hour 1 (and even Money Talks) - but I'm SO sick of him now. I hope he doesn't return. I won't see the sequel anyway though - so I guess it's a moot point.

Nov 18 - 09:21 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Yeah man, I agree with you. He ruined Cop Out for me, wasn't able to get past the 15 minute mark cos of how annoying he was. There's absolutely no reason to make another Friday.

Nov 19 - 09:05 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Wasn't "Cop Out" Tracy Morgan? Chris Tucker really shot himself in the foot with his pricetag. Ego and Eddie Murphy-syndrome. Maybe now he realizes that doing a 10 million$ gig every year is more profitable than a 25 million$ film every decade. Even if he comes back as Smokey, this makes it how long since he's been in a film that wasn't a sequel?

Nov 19 - 09:39 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Oh yeah, you're right lol, Tracey Morgan and Tucker are both equally annoying, so you can't really fault me on that.

Nov 19 - 10:07 AM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

I completely avoided Cop Out due to Tracy. After all, if I wanted to see a movie where the actor reads his lines like a robot, I would rewatch Short Circuit.

Nov 19 - 10:26 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

I was honestly gonna give it a fair shot, just because of Kevin Smith, but dude, I couldn't stand that fucking clown, prancing and screaming "LOOK AT ME!!!! I'M SO HI-LARIOUS WITH MY WACKY HIJINCKS!!" It's really the worst kind of humor, loud, stupid and obnoxious, I can't understand how anyone can stomach it. Though in fairness, according to its tomato meter and box office results, no one actually could.

Nov 19 - 09:52 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Tracy's stee-lo works to spectacular effect when the writing's good. See: 30 Rock

Nov 21 - 01:55 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

He USED to - but these past few seasons he's been phoning it in; sounding like a drunk robot reading cue cards.

Nov 21 - 05:12 PM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

Nov 18 - 09:46 PM

chains01

Jason Wilkerson

Nov 20 - 12:18 PM

Daniel O.

Daniel OReilly

They'll call it Last Friday, which would not necessarily make it the last Friday film. Its sequel could be a prequel called Friday Before Last

Nov 18 - 11:35 PM

Neonknight

Stephen Seecharan

I'd prefer it if they don't reboot Dr. Who. That has been, and currently still is, one of my favourite shows. I'm indifferent to the rest of the news.

Nov 19 - 03:25 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Nov 19 - 04:29 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Haven't read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, but it sounds perfect for Tim Burton. Given the premises, it doesn't sound like it'll be very mainstream, which I think is great, as Burton tends to work best the less mainstream he is.

After the weak teaser trailer, I must say the newer trailer makes The Hunger Games look very promising, and it's nice to know that they've gotten an oscar winning screenwriter for the planned sequel.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Woody Woodpecker is going to suck, just like nearly all the other live action adaptations of cartoons (though I do admit, I have a soft spot for the Bredan Fraser George of the Jungle; everything else though....)

Nov 19 - 04:46 AM

Jack C.

Jack Conway

the hunger games trailer is shit and the film looks cheap.can't wait for angelina jolie to be in a new movie

Nov 19 - 05:16 AM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

Skyrim or Uncharted 3?

Nov 19 - 07:31 AM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

SKYRIM!!! soooooooooooooo good!!

Nov 20 - 02:25 AM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

Just got both... so epic.

Nov 20 - 09:47 AM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Ok...so every time a new movie based on a board game is released, you automatically label it rotten because "there is no inherant story"...
I certainly don't disagree with this stance, but then you mark Legos as borderline fresh when the exact same thing applies to it? Sure, there are Legos based on IPs with pretty specific stories...but in each case tis the IP with the plan and not the Legos themselves...pretty hypocritical if you ask me...

As for Rampage...while I do assume they will screw this up, if you look at the Rampage line of games and not just the original, the story goes way beyond a couple of people getting transformed and then eating cities...in fact, for an arcade game, Rampage has a more involved and interesting storyline than most of the "RPG" video games on the market...there is plenty there to work with...but yes...the focus would still need to be on destruction of cities by giant monsters

Nov 19 - 08:01 AM

King  S.

King Simba

The Lego movie is mainly rated fresh due to the fact that it's from the directors of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Nov 19 - 09:52 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

RAMPAGE . . . BRING IT ON! (when it first came out when I was 15 in 1986 it seemed like a cinematic-given awesome High Concept game); and when I was ten "the Giant Monster game" was CRUSH, CRUMBLE, CHOMP for Commodore 64 and the SPI boardgames: The Creature That Ate Sheboygan, the War of the Worlds, and Dawn of the Dead.... // Times are very different now!// RAMPAGE is ultimate.

Nov 19 - 08:09 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

CRUSH CRUMBLE CHOMP! Haven't heard that one in a while!

Nov 19 - 09:41 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

DOCTOR WHO IS AWESOME!!!!!!!! (my brother got me interested in it). TOM BAKER is the best doctor only because when we first started watching Doctor Who around the dinner table (weeknights at 7:30 PM [syndicated]), Tom Baker was the Doctor and Elizabeth Sladen (1946 - 2011; Rest In Peace) was his side-kick. The Muppet Show came-on at 7:00 PM and followed by Doctor Who (outside Philadelphia).

and now my son likes DOCTOR WHO on BBC-America . . . I totally dislike what "they've" done to DOCTOR WHO (they Americanized it to a small degree), but, if Doctor Who communicates the same ideas to this generation as it did to my generation (and the previous generation [it began in 1965) then that it terrific!

Here in America, FOX-TV made a DOCTOR WHO pilot that was TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, ROTTEN (in my opinion).

My Favorite DOCTOR WHO story is INFERNO with Jon Pertwee as THE DOCTOR . . . the Bad Guys were doing the 1970s equivalent of FRACKING (drilling into the Earth) and they come across a green slime that would turn the workers into zombies!

. . . and of course THE DALEKS and DAVROS (a little green "puppet-guy" in a wheel-chair of sorts) are Doctor Who's CLASSIC arch-enemy!!!

DAVROS: EXTERMINATE!

THE DALEKS (in unison): EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

DOCTOR WHO: We've better get out of here.

SARAH: To the TARDIS?

THE DALEKS (in unison): EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!!!

K-9: Of Course to THE TARDIS, where else, the DALEKS are closing in on us.

DAVROS: Welcome to my new empire, Doctor. It is only fitting that you should bear witness to the resurrection and triumph of Davros, lord and creator of the Dalek race.

DOCTOR WHO IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hands-down (along with SPACE: 1999; STAR WARS; DUNE; UFO; THE INVADERS; HITCH-HIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY; CAPTAIN VIDEO; THE PHANTOM CREEPS; BATTLE STAR GALACTICA; BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25th CENTURY, etc.) . . . DOCTOR WHO is simply THE BEST IN SCIENCE-FICTION!!!!!

-----------------------------------

OCCUPY! The State of Israel (established on May 14, 1948)

even my buddy says PUT A CAP ON ISRAEL . . . Israel is OPPRESSING all of PALESTINE! (CLOSE . . . ISRAEL . . . DOWN . . . TODAY!)

Nov 19 - 08:38 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday