63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Doctor Zhivago Reviews

Cynthia S

October 4, 2010
Spent the afternoon watching this one, and it was totally worth it. Wonderful tribute to a classic film. Well done!
Nikki M

August 31, 2008
This movie was heartbreaking but nicely done.
DrLappos
DrLappos

May 21, 2008
Really nice retelling of the classic.
moviegirl50
December 7, 2009
This was a well made remake of the classic drama with Omar Sharif and Julie Christie...a very sad story taking place during the Russian revolution..I enjoyed seeing this version although I think the original was better.
NoxInvictus
July 13, 2009
Quite bleak for a love story, but a great film. Gosh, the little boy who plays Yuri is so adorable. If it wasnt for him, I wouldnt have cried.
March 2, 2014
I have to say that this remake was incredibly well done. It was obviously made for a PBS audience and there are some interesting minor differences from the 1965 original that don't detract from my experience of the original or this rendition of the story. It was quite an epic and I found it worth watching.
November 18, 2013
I agree with all the positive reviews, but why oh why did Kiera Knightley have such a bad I agree with all the accolades but why did Kiera Knightley have such a bad wig? A 17year old wouldn't have hair that brittle and damaged. I could see the glue at her hairline.
3568 C.
September 12, 2012
The best film version of Doc Zhi.
October 6, 2007
the greatest love story of all time!!!
October 28, 2011
so romantic luv it cried like a baby .xoxo
July 24, 2011
Haven't seen the original David Lean version (which featured that more famous theme music) but this was a pretty good adaptation.
March 9, 2011
To make another attempt at adapting a novel which already shares its name with another cinematic giant is no small feet. Though, Dr. Z, for me, will always be Omar, the performance given by Hans is neither imitation or praise-less. This adaptation deals, in detail, with many 'explicit' and emotional intensities that were only alluded to by Lean. The ending is great and if you're the type that enjoys long films it is most definitely worth a watch.
Dory V.
December 28, 2009
A wonderful movie. I love Russian history and Russia because of this movie. I haven't been there yet, but people who have already been to Russia say that this movie portrays the feeling of being in Russia perfectly. It is very emotional and intense, a beautiful movie and it isn't overadvertised. All the actors and the director did a great job, the music fits the movie perfectly too. I love the characters of Yury, Lara and Tonya. It was a perfect job of Giacomo Campiotti. I loved it. Only a very few movies make me cry, and this does every time I watch it. At the end, when little Yury is running as his mother asked him to. And he's smiling, carrying the poems of his father. He doesn't know how much they're worth yet. And he's running, running in Moscow...
KBridgham1979
February 11, 2010
It takes a lot of balls to remake a film that is already considered part of the cannon of untouchable motion picture classics. It would be similar to remaking "The Wizard of Oz," "Gone With the Wind," "Citizen Kane," or "The Godfather." And yet, the makers of this two-part film succeeded in producing a remake that - while not as unique or enchanting as the original - stands on its own as a quality film.

Keira Knightley does a terrific job. Hans Matheson has moments of over-acting, but is still adequate. And Sam Neill is appropriately arrogant and villainous. Though this film has a greater sense of realism than the original, it lacks the original's sheer visual beauty. Nonetheless, this is a well-made, emotionally stirring remake.
sideburnz
November 10, 2003
i didnt even know i was watchin dr. zhivago until close to the end of part on. this was on masterpiece theater on pbs and was amazed at how good it was Keira Knightley's performance was oscar worthy and shows she is going to be one of the greatest actress' of all time. i havent seen the original Dr. Zhivago but am going to rent it the next time i go renting movies.