Doctor Detroit Reviews

½ March 23, 2012
I want that man charged with impersonating a cracker.

A pimp who works for his mother's organized crime ring has lost all of his money. He doesn't want to take responsibility for his actions so he cons a college professor into working for him and then the pimp disappears. The professor finds himself running a group of prostitutes that doesn't want to work for the pimp's mother. Can the professor work all day as a professor and all night as a pimp?

"Are you a taxi?"
"No, jerk-off, I'm a person. But I drive a taxi and it's outside."

Michael Pressman, director of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, Frankie and Johnny are Married, A Season of Miracles, and Saint Maybe, delivers Doctor Detroit. The storyline for this picture is classic 80s comedy genre and is of course, ridiculous, but fun to watch unfold. The comedic content is a bit inconsistent and the cast delivers entertaining performances. The cast includes Dan Aykroyd, Howard Hesseman, Donna Dixon, Fran Drescher, Lynn Whitfield, and Hank Salas.

"No, I will not sell my own mother."

Doctor Detroit is a movie my wife remembered from her childhood and DVR'd it for our viewing. I had never seen this picture which is surprising since I love Aykroyd and Chevy Chase pictures from the 80s. While this movie isn't Aykroyd's best film, it is definitely entertaining and worth your time. There are some very funny scenes and this reminded me of Nothing But Trouble. I recommend seeing this film if you're a fan of 80s comedies.

"The doctor doesn't work and he doesn't pay."

Grade: B-
August 20, 2011
Old 80's comedies with Dan Ackroyd are so much fun. You don't have to say they are great...but they are just pure fun. Watching this at home all these years later it still brings laughs and memories of days past. Thanks Dan.
June 25, 2011
For a short period of time in the early 1980s someone gave Dan aykroyd free reign to mass produce silly and idiotic comedies like this. Kind of like how Adam Sandler has it now only less funny. One good thing did come of this film. Aykroyd met his future wife Donna Dixon which STILL BOGGLES MY MIND. And oh yeah, this comedy is awful. Avoid. Seriously. Like Anthrax.
½ April 13, 2011
Stupid, but strangely Dan Aykroyd appealing in a weird kinda' way.
April 6, 2011
The funniest Dan Aykroyd flick you've never heard of.
December 17, 2010
Mostly when i watch Comedys i laugh inside but this one bring me to laugh my Head off again and again such funny Situations, freaky Characters, Fresh Dialogues and Funky Music Defently a High Class 80's Burner and Fran Drescher in the 80's really was a Hottie
January 10, 2010
A favourite! It is hilarious.
½ August 9, 2010
good laugh but that just it..
nothing new~
April 21, 2009
Ive watched Doctor Detroit a number of times over the years but Ive never laughed @ it. Sure it has its charms but it's not all that funny. I find Dan Aykroyd can't carry a movie on his own. He needs a side kick like John Belushi or Chevy Chase to accentuate his comedy. There is a decent supporting cast in Howard Hesseman & the girls are lovely but the script is void of good comic material. Maybe I don't find this trashy enough as Aykroyd is going to be the new pimp it town. Some nudity would have been nice. It was a big bomb @ the show & they even advertised Doctor Detroit II : The Wrath of Mom but since it tanked so badly it never came. Even though Ive never been too trilled on this entry I would have watched a sequel but I doubt that it would have been very good..I would have given it a shot anyways especially if Devo did the theme song.
½ November 2, 2006
This is a comedy that was hit and miss for me. It stars Dan Aykroyd as a college professor who gets conned into pretending to be a pimp called Doctor Detroit. This movie does have some funny moments. Aykroyd is funny in this. The story is kind of silly. But I guess that is expected for the story to work. Aykroyd has made much better comedies. But if your a Aykroyd fan the check this film out.
March 6, 2010
Loopy 80s movie about turf wars and pimping. Despite the subject matter, it is SO mild it`s hilarious. I won`t recommend it to anyone but I will say it filled up my slow Saturday night. Diavalos and the girls were great characters.
February 10, 2010
See I wasn't bull shitting! NOT SAYING WATCH IT, BUT IT DOES EXIST! LMAO
½ October 29, 2009
Not as funny as I thought it was gonna be.Just lame
shesdownbytheriver
January 10, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested.
November 19, 2008
Fran Drescher plays "The nanny as hooker'. Akroyd goes wild.
½ August 9, 2008
An easy going comedy from the 80s. I just noticed Lyn Whitfield was in this movie last night.
½ July 22, 2008
Ok, this movie is definitely one of the typical 80's movies....but, in it's defense, you will absolutely get a few whole hearted laughs out of it! Take it for what it is, a short 80's no-brainer comedy to fill an evening at home and you will most certainly enjoy it!!
June 10, 2008
\I wish I could watch every movie ever made but I sadly don't have the time. I'm not interested in this movie because I don't think I'll like it or don't know enough about it to think I might like it. I may still end up seeing it some day though.
April 3, 2008
Ah, Doctor Detroit. What can you say? Silly '80s flick that has some chrarm, if you're into silly '80s flicks.
March 29, 2008
I have had this movie for years and I still watch it !!!!!!!!!!