Dodgeball - A True Underdog Story Reviews

½ March 22, 2007
I laughed in spite of the fact I usually hate Ben Stiller. But a fun movie that was funny enough for me during my beach week.
½ August 27, 2007
Probably one of the most underrated sports or fun games you can play which I haven't done since I was in school. I have no idea if there are any actual proper dodgeball leagues/competitions like in this film but I think there should be.

As for this film, well the title says it all really, its an underdog story where the underdogs emerge victorious against all odds, the end. This film doesn't try to be anything other than what it clearly is, a complete dumbass of a film with in your face, laugh out loud moments. Nothing here is clever or particularly original its just childish toilet humour utilising every trick in the book to get a giggle, no stone left unturned.

The cast is a mixture of some Frat pack members and good character actors who all take the opportunity to let loose and just play it to the extreme. Good old Ben Stiller has to be the main attraction here as the narcissistic gym owner with a Vidal Sassoon hair style. I did also enjoy the satirical take on flashy modern day gyms filled with overly tanned models who merely like to look at themselves whilst getting fit.

Stephen Root rehashes his 'Office Space' character to great effect, Alan Tudyk is a pirate, why? no idea but its amusing and Vince Vaughn simply plays the same regular Joe character he always does but he does it well doesn't he. There are many other funny performances here and quite a lot of cameos, too many to mention but none of them ever undermine the films comedy. Kinda funny seeing Lance Armstrong going on about his Tour De France victories though, ouch!

The whole idea here is so basic its amazing they got it off the ground really. Chock full of cheap laughs, naughty visual gags, lots of crotch slapstick, cheesy lines, weight jokes and pratfalls, the film does feel very infantile at times but at others it can be very funny indeed. Its not really about the plot for all intense and purposes, you just watch to see Vaughn, Stiller and co act the fool and crack hokey lines. Its all about the hammy acting and rude visual tomfoolery but the bonus is its a good little feel good flick too.

Yeah you know what will happen, you know the slimy slow witted Stiller will get his comeuppance in the end, there aren't any surprises here. You know exactly what you're paying for with this and you get it, like I say the film doesn't pretend to be anything else other than a stupid comedy much like 'Dumb and Dumber' or other frat pack flicks.

Upped to the max deliberately with daft spoof-like moments for optimal belly laughs and finishing off with the all too common parody of the classic coming from behind victory. Its admittedly a bit of a one joke flick for sure but you don't need to look into it that much, its just an easy going fun entertaining hour and a half.
½ July 28, 2013
Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller are a comedy dream-team in this spastic-athletic comedy. Dodgeball's combined humor, silliness and crudeness makes for an entertaining picture for audiences to laugh at. The film takes the sports trait of adversity and heroism and directly and superbly hits it with balls. 4.5/5
Market Man
August 28, 2012
Surprisingly well written for a film with such a dumb concept. White Goodman is hilarious and the rest of the characters are funny as well. The story may seem simple but there's more that goes on than just the dodgeball games. It sure does help that many of the characters have depth; it makes the film much better. The humor is over the top and may not work for everyone but I laughed a lot.
blkbomb
½ May 13, 2011
White Goodman: At Globo Gym we understand that "ugliness" and "fatness" are genetic disorders, much like baldness or necrophilia, and it's only your fault if you don't hate yourself enough to do something about it.

"Grab Life By The Ball"

Well, I've probably seen this movie about 50 times now, so I think it's time to give it a review. I've always found this movie funny. It's a lot of sexual humor as it relates to balls, such as the tournaments slogan, "Go Balls Deep." I still laugh at most of the jokes, but over time my love for it has decreased a little, but that's just because it's on tv everyday.

Peter's gym is about to get taken away and made into a parking garage for White Goodman's big corporate gym, Globo Gym. In order to get the money to keep the gym, he and his few customers put together a dodgeball team to compete in a tournament in Las Vegas. It comes down to a showdown between Peter's team and White's team in the championship. Predictable story wise, but still a good time.

The best thing about the movie is Ben Stiller as White Goodman. He plays him in an arrogant, over the top way that is more than just hilarious. Nothing he says isn't funny. His performance in this movie happens to be one of my personal favorite comedic performances of all-time. That may sound ludicrous, but come on; he's fucking hilarious. Him, Vince Vaughn, and a great supporting cast make the movie extremely likable.
November 24, 2011
I don't remember much about it but I remember thinking
A) It's trying way too hard to be funny
B) Too much slapstick humor
C) Most of the time, it wasn't my type of humor
October 29, 2011
Has it's moments, but doesn't capture the true image of comedy.
Directors Cat
½ October 28, 2011
It's got cute moments and Ben Stiller does show enthusiasm. Unfortunately, I dont think it was enough to keep the film from getting hit and losing.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
Really funny!
½ May 26, 2007
I'm so glad this glad of comedians don't make films anymore. Separately, they're all pretty funny, but combine them together and you get a mess.
TheDudeLebowski65
May 26, 2011
I never had high hopes for a Vince Vaughn film. I find his style lacks anything truly funny and original. I've hated most of his films because I find he's not funny. However with Dodgeball he is!. A terrific, well told comedy with a good cast of comedic actors that includes Ben Stiller, Justin Long, Stephen Root and Alan Tudyk. After his revival forcloses on his Gym, Gym Owner Peter Lafleur enters a Dodgeball competition in Vegas so he can save his gym. Dodgeball is a hilarious film with many laugh out loud moiments, gquotable lines and decent acting. Of course what surprised me about the film was Vaughn, whom like I mention am not a fan. But here he delivers something good, funny and not irritating. I find him more at ease on screen., his comedy style more natural than his previous work. Dodgeball is simply a very funny film with a great script, a good, varied cast of talented actors that deliver terrific comical performances. Dodgeball is a great film to watch with friends and will definitely ease the mood. There are many things to enjoy about this film, and theres some solid and memorable comedy bits here. A very enjoyable film thats a great departure from Vince Vaughn's regular work.
January 22, 2011
Patches O'Houlihan: If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball.

This refreshingly quirky sports comedy works perfectly. Vince Vaughn (Swingers) stars as chipper Peter La Fleur, the owner of local struggling gym Average Joe's. Then we have Ben Stiller (Meet the Parents) as White Goodman, the crazy owner of a trendy, high-end fitness center, who gives Peter an ultimatum to raise $50,000 in a certain amount of time or White will take over Average Joe's.

Dwight: We're still missing the teenage love puppy and Steve the Pirate.
Owen: Who's Steve the Pirate?
Dwight: The only guy on our team that dresses like a pirate!
Owen: Wait, there's a guy on our team who dresses like a pirate?

Vaughn and his crew find a solution, dodgeball. After this, its just scene after scene of plain old entertainment. Stiller becomes more hell-bent and insane and Vaughn has a love interest (Christine Taylor). We also learn more about Patches O'Houlihan's (Rip Torn) past as a famous dodgeball player, and Justin Long's (Going the Distance) breakout performance is included, which is quite funny. Even Lance Armstrong makes a surprise cameo late in the film!

Kate Veatch: You don't get to touch me, ever!
Peter La Fleur: Okay, Romeo, let me help you up.
White Goodman: Get off me, don't you touch me! It's over between us, Kate. Nobody makes me bleed my own blood... nobody!

This is a very funny movie, I don't know what else to say. It's filled with great one-liners, and a great cast. I suggest you run through the credits and watch what comes after, surprise epilogue shows up after the credits!

White Goodman: Stick it in your ear, La Fleur. I wouldn't sell you your gym back for all of King Midas' silver. The gym is mine! So you can take your band of yellow-bellied losers and just crawl on outta here!
Peter La Fleur: You're right, White. I can't make you sell back my gym, so I'll just take your advice and invest in something. Say... the controlling stake of Globo Gym.
White Goodman: That's preposterous! I'd never allow it.
Kate Veatch: Globo Gym is a publicly-traded company, there's nothing you can do about it.
Peter La Fleur: So, I would control Globo Gym and... everything that Globo Gym owns. Which as of last night is Average Joe's Gym!
Peter La Fleur: I'm your new boss, White.
White Goodman: You can't be my boss! Nobody's my boss! I'm my own boss! I created myself!
Peter La Fleur: You're fired, pal.
DreamExtractor
March 6, 2011
A hilarious romp and fun to watch
½ June 27, 2010
I thought this film was okay. I'm not a fan of Ben Stiller's roles as a silly fitness freak like in this and Heavyweights, but it was a good enough movie overall.
June 24, 2010
this was funny. B+
½ January 11, 2010
It is truely hilarious! But there were huge risks on making an entire film on the sport of dodgeball. But I think that they squeezed out of them just fine!
ScoopOnline
November 29, 2009
In a twisted kind of way I like Vince Vaughn
½ June 21, 2007
Goofy, stupid, and funny. If you liked Zoolander, then Dodgeball should be right up your alley. White Goodman has to be one of the greatest characters in movie history.
½ November 26, 2009
It's a funny movie, but it has almost no lasting effect. The cast is good and all and they work well together, but it doesn't substitute for a legitimate plot. Aside from a few shining moments, it is a throw away with hardly any originality.
June 24, 2007
A tad overrated and Ben Stiller played a similar character in "Zoolander", but still pretty fun. Pretty formulaic and occasionally dumb, but most of the time it's funny. The 1950's dodgeball training video with Hank Azaria is the high-point.