• R, 1 hr. 28 min.

Dog Pound Reviews

September 15, 2014
Worst. Cop out. Ever.
September 3, 2014
Dog Pound is guaranteed to frighten, crush and leave you feeling hollowed out to the point where the viewing is nauseating due to its outstandingly terrifying look at the horrors of prison life and it is all held together by its incredibly talented young cast.
Dan S

August 4, 2014
A well-meaning but ultimately disappointing and hollow take on a juvenile center focused around the lives of three boys recently put into the system, and what they experience during their time there. For the first half of the film, it is surprisingly gripping and realistically filmed and plotted. However, in the second half of the movie it veers left into "melodrama" territory, where you hardly start to believe anything that is happening and the story takes its lenses off of the boys in the facility and instead makes a hail-mary middle-finger attempt at the correctional officers. The acting is pretty good, about what you would expect for an indie film. In the end though, there are just too many scenes that feel fake and forced, not to mention pretty predictable, and the film never seems to decide what it wants to be truly about anyways.
MixedBreed
June 9, 2014
Great movie. Really shows what your actions can cause you to go through. Emotions run high in this movie so beware.
April 8, 2014
Likeable characters. The problem is that they're placed in a situation rather than a story.
January 24, 2014
A surprisingly gripping movie that was well acted and well presented. Very well done.
January 6, 2014
Pretty accurate for a 90 day program in juvi... expect for the over the top dramatizations. The riot and beat ups explain why the tables in a real jdc weigh 40 lbs, seats built into tables screwed into the ground, no one allowed to be unattended (and randomly roaming around), and why all the sporks/cups need to be counted and taken back after meals. Besides that and the beat ups and the dickheads (Banks...) this is a pretty realistic summary.
December 23, 2013
Brutal and Harsh don't begin to describe Dog Pound. A story about a juvenile detention "prison" and its occupants might be a bit exaggerated but the acting done by Adam Butcher as the angry ring leader of the boys is beyond his years.
December 18, 2013
I've seen better fucked up prison movies, but I've seen much worse. This one delivers every cliche you want out of a prison movie, and it's pretty violent. I liked it!
December 15, 2013
Better remake of '79 Scum.
December 10, 2013
Dom Sucks serious penis
January 22, 2013
Wow! This is one of the best movies of the year! The acting in this film is brilliant and the story is so compelling and realistic that you will be drawn into these kids nightmare from the first 20-min of the film. What an amazing piece of film making and storytelling! Should be recognized for some award - it is really great!
stillkrsfromprp
November 25, 2013
It's alot like "Bad Boys" without the talent of Sean Penn, and without direction.
November 5, 2013
Yes, like all jail incarceration movies, this one has some of the same qualities, such as taking place in a juvenile detention center and like the 1983 version of Bad Boys with Sean Penn including inner gang turmoil, bonding of gang members, violent rape and beatings under unsafe conditions, us against the mentality, but this is 2010, not 1983. Even though it is over 20 years later, and two generation apart, this movie still has the edge of your seat punch to rate it a 6, especially with handicaps of having a small budget and using all unknown actors. I recommend it for those viewers that are fascinated by the reality of life and social dynamics within a dysfunctional corrupted system, ( which this theme can be applied to any of our present day systems }.
September 29, 2013
Fair, not as well explained as it should have been, had to look up facts on the original to find out a few things....
2natures
January 14, 2011
A remake that stands SQUARELY on its own two feet. A lot of stayng power here.
September 8, 2013
Even with its bleak setting and story for its young characters, nothing in this film will stick with you due to its lack of character development. Most of the performances are good, but they are also doing juvie versions of prison movie cliches. After Oz, I've seen it all before. Not a bad movie by any means, but brings new or personal to this subject matter
August 25, 2013
While the movie is certainly made up of familiar parts, there's a little Shawshank Redemption, Bad Boys (Sean Penn movie), and pretty much every 'jail' trope in existence, this film is a pretty damn good movie. It has good writing and a damn good cast. I don't think it manages to set itself apart from other films of this ilk, but it is more than solid. Thankfully the movie isn't AS serious as some of its contemporaries as it sees this group of four boys befriend each other and how their friendship makes life in this institution a little easier. If there IS a problem with this is that, out of nowhere, these 4 boys are friends. Butch, Davis, and Angel all come into the institution on the same day, but it wasn't implied that they were friends. So they start off their time in this institution having nothing to do with the other. Then there's this sequence where three of them end up in solitary for different reasons. After they get out of solitary they're, magically, friends. There was like an important chunk of the movie missing, because there was nothing that would lead you to believe that they've become friends, well other than the movie telling you they are. That was definitely a problem to me, because this is the most important element of the film...this friendship between these kids. As mentioned, the film is sort of mired in formula and I do think that some of the events in the film were probably too 'tragic' for their own good. I also liked the way the film was shot, I think it gave it a credible and more realistic look. I don't wanna see a documentary style, but more realistic than your typical movie. Not much else to say, a movie that's showered in formula, still damn good with some great performances and a believable look at these kids' lives and how the institution helps them become closer to each other.
August 23, 2013
Bad Boys, and Scum for the new generation. Fantastic.
June 22, 2013
once it sinks its teeth in, you're fated to drawn in for sure..