A Dog's Breakfast Reviews

flixsterman
½ January 17, 2009
When Patrick decides to knock off his sister's fiancé he inadvertently turns the family home into an inept house of horrors. Amateurish but buoyed by David Hewlett's hysterical performance.
January 9, 2008
A moderately amusing and fairly brisk dark comedy.
September 9, 2009
Cleverly shot, technically sound, but way too silly.

Most of the plot, dialogue and jokes are predictable and broadcast way in advance. My last watch/review was also a dark comedy, Just Buried, and this one reminds me what an average flick is and makes me appreciate that one all the more.

I guess a good analogy is, there isn't enough "bang for the buck." There isn't enough return for all the liberties and steps they took with the storyline. They'd have been better off going a bit more extreme if nothing was going to come as a surprise.

I'm surprised by the high ratings this movie is getting here and elsewhere. Is there a fanboy appeal in one of the characters from some other show/movie? I just don't get it.

This isn't a BAD movie, but most of it's success comes from the creative filming and the story leaves a lot to be desired.
May 29, 2011
Loved this movie, why are you reading this? You should be sitting down and watching this movie instead!
September 28, 2009
This dark comedy is unique and I loved it. A brother's relationship with his sister starts warped and gets far more interesting as it goes.
You will love the ending!
½ April 29, 2008
This is a hilarious movie! A very lovely and fun dark comedy. Low-budget but enjoyable, and any fan of the Stargate TV show will appreciate the cast all the more.
½ October 27, 2008
David Hewlett shows his mastery of comedy in this small budget movie he created with the help of his friends (cast and crew of Stargate franchise). His comic timing is brilliant as is his equally brilliant sister (who plays his sister) and my personal favorite-Paul McGillion in a triple role! :) Everything is funny and Mars, the dog even has great timing.
December 6, 2006
Absolutely hilarious! What a great first movie by David and Jane. I can't wait to see what they do next!
September 22, 2007
I absolutely LOVED this movie! I actually first saw it in Canada and it was awesome! I laughed so hard I almost pee'd my pants!
January 5, 2014
Whats funny is this movie was classified as a Horror film. I would have classified it as a Comedy too, because it was so incredibly stupid I laughed! I wasted an hour and a half of my already torturous schedule. Thanks David Hewitt for teaching me that I do, in fact, have a future in film making, as I am sure my skill level at the very least matches that of yours.
May 20, 2013
I loved this movie. It was a funny, charming, clever, creative, mock horror and I can tell there was a lot of work put into it despite being simple and low budget. A hidden gem.
August 17, 2012
The movie rocked! Pure awesomeness :) David and Paul are fantastic actors and have a great sense of humor. This movie is definitely worth seeing :)
½ July 12, 2012
This isn't too bad of a dark comedy. I can see why some people really like it. It's predictable, but does have some funny moments.
November 16, 2011
Fun movie!! Watch it Cumbee!!
March 19, 2011
Really good and funny. Totally different and reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite for some odd reason. Really enjoyed it, the actors are great and the whole plot is just so surreal it's more than just funny but I guess only people with a weird sense of humour would really enjoy the movie...
February 10, 2011
One of the best movies I've seen in my life. David Hewlett is such a great actor and is perfect for this role! The movie has a perfect balace between horror and comedy although I don't really like horror it's great. My only complaint is that it's kind of predictable but that doesn't ruin the fun!
December 1, 2010
David Hewlett's directorial debut. Extremely funny black comedy with a brilliant cast! In the film, we see actors we know from Stargate Atlantis in an entirely new roles. The funny thing is also that the main characters - siblings (Patrick and Marilyn) game real siblings David and Kate Hewlett. Even a dog belongs to the family:) Highly recommended!
December 1, 2010
February 6, 2010
I liked it! I'd call it a quirky comedy with a dark(or maybe mocha) sense of humor. Kind of got a "British Comedy" feel from it and David Hewlett and others in the special features section reference Arsenic and Old Lace or John Cleese-ish comedy that's "rather naughty than dirty" as inspiration.

Stargate fans will see some familiar faces and enjoy the clever humor and timing we've come to love from these actors. Even if you're not familiar with the actors from "A Dogs Breakfast" you will definitely benefit from the chemistry that the group creates.

David Hewlett and Kate Hewlett, real life siblings, quickly present a dysfunctional relationship that really makes the story work. Patrick(David Hewlett) is a psycho shut-in who's only friends are his make-up artist sister and scruffy dog Mars. Marilyn, Patrick's sister comes home with a surprise, her new fiancée played by Paul McGillion.

McGillion does a great job as the fiancée and the polar opposite of David Hewlett's character. He obviously has fun with the role, and his light hearted and well-executed performance offsets the borderline psychotic Patrick(David Hewlett) and adds to the classic comedy feel of the film.

And how can you not love Mars, the dog who becomes silent witness and unwitting accomplice to his master's neurosis?

The camera work is surprisingly well done, the music builds creepy suspense in all the right places and the set, well, it's exactly what you think a house should look like considering a shut-in is the primary resident.

I gave it 80 out of 100, trying not to be bias since I'm a huge Hewlett fan and Stargate fan in general. Definitely worth the watch on those weekends when you have a movie marathon on the schedule. Hope to see more work from this group again soon!
January 10, 2010
Funny, silly and with a cast of familiar actors if you're coming from Stargate Atlantis. The awkwardness of Hewlett's character is pulled of perfectly and the pure ridiculousness of some scenes had me in stitches. A few scene could have been funnier, or simply shorter, but as a whole the plot holds. While I feel this was a DVD worth buying, I have a feeling it would not have done as well in cinemass as the mass population may not have apreciated it as well or understood the humour, and unfortunatley it seems a good idea to have kept it as straight-to-DVD.