Movies Like Dogtown and Z-Boys

Dogtown and Z-Boys Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

January 13, 2011
Skip Engblom: Children took the ruins of the 20th century and made art out of it.

"The Birth of Extreme"

Dogtown and Z-Boys is one of the more entertaining documentaries I've ever seen and actually one of the first documentaries I remember watching. The craziest thing about my love for this movie, is that skateboarding and everything that goes with it, isn't something that really interests me. Stacey Peralta, who is a fantastic documentary filmmaker, know exactly how to keep this movie fast paced and interesting.

The movie did end up making me interested in the Z-Boys story. It's enjoyable to see how these street kid, surfers reinvented a dying sport and made it something that everybody knew about. Main highlights of the film include concrete warfare, where they would sneak into people's backyards and ride their pools and also the first skate competition that the Zephyr skate team was a part of.

If you've seen Lords of Dogtown and enjoyed it, this is something you should give a look. It's a great companion film to Lords of Dogtown and both are fun and entertaining films to watch. If getting the more in depth look into the movement is important to you, then Dogtown and Z-Boys is the way to go.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

August 25, 2010
"This is concrete warfare we're talking about... if you're going to ride you gotta get on that shit."

Documentary about the pioneering 1970s Zephyr skating team.

REVIEW
Waycool documentary by legendary skateboarding ace Peralta chronicling the origins of the original extreme sport with vintage Super 8mm home movie archival footage, black & white stills, and assorted media combining with a classic rock and roll score to form a comprehensive and obvious valentine to a way of life. Gravity defying gravitas is captured like lightning in a bottle showing the wayfarer scruffy charisma and authority-defying nonchalance that has a visceral thrill in watching underdogs become cult heroes. Excellent portrayal of unbridled angst, anomie and pure adrenaline rushes from curling on a wave from the prototypical surf in the Pacific Ocean to the concrete playgrounds of abandoned suburban pools. Narrated by perfect choice, Sean Penn, The Artist Formerly Known As Spicoli.
John B

January 3, 2010
Sean Penn was in this? Oh yes he was the narrator. That explains why I didn't see him. It takes a special documentary to make a person who doesn't care about a subjec to take an interest in it. I have no interest in the 1970s Zephyr team and I don't have much interest afterwards. Very insider baseball.
Marcus W

June 24, 2008
Interesting documentary on the birth of skateboarding. Best watched as a companion piece with the superior 'Lords of Dogtown'.
iLeo
iLeo

March 4, 2008
Phenomenal.
Wu C

March 23, 2006
The history of skateboading. Very rad.
August 1, 2007
Extremely interesting documentary about these few kids who changed the world of skateboarding in the 70's.
jmillerdp
July 28, 2009
Stacy Peralta's electrifying debut documentary. Immerses you in the world of 1970's skateboarders. Lots of energy, and well made!
jmg5063
September 14, 2008
This was really good and very interesting. I wanted to see it after I saw Lords of Dogtown and I recommend it!
wolverineland
August 11, 2008
Quite arguably the greatest and most entertaining documentary ever made. Stacy Peralta's masterpiece documents the early days of him and his legendary Zephyr Skate team who pioneered the sport of skateboarding. Screen legend and local skateboard enthusiast Sean Penn narrarates this journey back to Dogtown in Venice, California where a talented group of kids in the early to mid 70's redefined what was possible on a skateboard which up until the late 60's was pretty much viewed as a passing fad. A wonderfully edited blend of music from the era, home movies, photos, and interviews with Dogtown legends like Tony Alva, Jay Adams, Stacy Peralta, Wentzle Ruml, Bob Biniak, Nathan Pratt, and Jim Muir. There is lots of great pool skating footage and I definitely recommend this movie to fans and non-fans of the sport.
KCJUGGALO
January 11, 2008
I loved this documentary its cool how lords of dogtown was based from true events and this documentary explains it all.
mrluckytjd
October 29, 2007
Not a skateboarding fan? No worries! This is an insightful and highly entertaining documentary. Ride back to the 70's and enjoy the footage, photos and music from that period! The original members share their stories of the troubled youth of Dogtown who turn to surfing and skating as their outlet. Well made and alot of fun.
July 27, 2007
Near perfect documentary about the birth of trick skating. Extra half point for the classic soundtrack and Sean Penn's deadpan narration.
tyler236
July 5, 2007
THE birth of skateboarding as we know it, told by two of the founding fathers: Stacy Peralta & Craig Steyck (photographer). Even if you never put foot on a skateboard you should see this film. The degree of style and socialogical influence of the Z-boys is simply riveting. One earliest examples of what would be later called "Californication"... This movie shows you the origin of cool.
June 11, 2007
Great documentaries can take a subject you care nothing about and make it interesting. This one does just that. Told with energy, wisdom, and reminiscence, the story of skateboardings pioneers had me captivated from the very beginning.
May 2, 2007
Skateboarding, wild surfing...The original stuff! This is where it all started. Excellent documentary! Super entertainig and informative. Don't miss it
jahrastafaarianghettochild
April 3, 2007
Stacey Peralta and Tony Alva explain the Z-boys of Zephyr Boardshop's role in the beginning of professional skateboarding in this documentary.
nzcru
March 26, 2007
The documentary of Dogtown is worth seeing. I would recommend that over either Dogtown film. It has all kinds of old footage of the inovaters of the sport as well as where they are now. Pretty interesting even if you aren't in to skating.
jeffkimboston
February 22, 2007
Riveting and moving look at the godfathers of skateboarding as we know it. You truly gain an appreciation for those guys.
February 1, 2007
really interesting documentary. the photography shots are amazing. what a good time a place to be a photographer.