In Memoriam: Roger Ebert

Summary

Back to Article

Comments

DANN C.

DANN Catubig

RIP Roger.I will miss your reviews.

Apr 5 - 03:31 AM

Joseph Perdue

Joseph Perdue

Roger Ebert was the Babe Ruth of Film Criticism, He and Siskel were two of a kind with their opinions on the film industry. Their Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down Routine Became Legendary that we still used to this day. I became a fan not only for their reviews but their arguments and the people know what i'm talking about. Ebert legacy will live on FOREVER and ever!! Thanks for the Memories, Ebert!!! we love and will miss u!!!

Apr 5 - 04:01 AM

Nicholas Moore

Nicholas Moore

I read that quote the other day, and I've been thinking about it lately as well, the "A film is not what it's about, but how it's about it" quote.

Apr 5 - 07:18 AM

Rich Heimlich

Rich Heimlich

I actually had the great privilege to interact personally with Mr. Ebert for a short period of a few years. I'm very emotional over his passing. I wrote up the experience for anyone interested on slashcomment.com. I'll never forget how he changed my movie eye.... Incredible individual. My heart goes out to his wife.

Apr 5 - 07:31 AM

leuqiv

Filipe Martins

R.I.P Mister Ebert

Apr 5 - 09:06 AM

Maria Della Croce

Maria Della Croce

Roger and Gene ignited my passion for film at a very early age. After Gene's passing, Roger was the one critic whose opinion always mattered to me. Roger Ebert was brilliant, hilarious and brave. The movies will never be the same.

Apr 5 - 09:37 AM

jake s.

jake suttles

agreed, there's a gaping hole a mile wide in movie reviewing as of yesterday and I dont know whos gonna fill it.

Apr 5 - 09:39 AM

Michael Oleson

Michael Oleson

I started reading Roger Ebert when he started writing movie reviews for a living. What I remembered most was that this guy really liked movies. Even mainstream movies that many critics detested. He was a critic for the casual filmgoer, not just those who fed on black and white foreign films. He loved many of those films too and wrote so well about them that many of us ventured out beyond the multiplexes to see them. One of America's great writers, Roger Ebert.

Apr 5 - 12:45 PM

Ryan McCann

Ryan McCann

I just watched "Cop and a Half" and pretended to like it.....in his honor.

Apr 5 - 01:02 PM

Craig Carruthers

Craig Carruthers

The ONLY guy who was right about speed 2. RIP fella.

Apr 5 - 01:10 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Great memoriam from RT and staff!

Apr 5 - 01:25 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Damn, if only we could clone him in time....

Apr 5 - 01:41 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

The Godfather of Film Criticism, now resting in peace with the rest of the Greats.

Apr 5 - 01:42 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Aye, Doug Walker sure did express his emotional passion for Ebert, he was completely human in that video yet still trying to manage humor.

Apr 5 - 01:44 PM

RealRick

Richard Smolnicky

As I posted elsewhere, the very existence of this website is the BEST tribute possible to the careers of BOTH Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel. And the warm, wonderful comments and memories from the people running it just proved my point.

Apr 5 - 01:47 PM

George Haber

George Haber

My son met Ebert at a bookstore in Evanston, Illinois, where he was signing copies of his latest book; he was very gracious in talking with my son about upcoming movies and which ones he was looking forward to (one of the "Batman movies," he said. Anyone who loves film will certainly miss Ebert and will search for a new critic to trust (outside of Rottentomatoes!)

Apr 5 - 04:02 PM

Doc Grimwig

Doc Grimwig

A man you could trust to not be swayed by the almighty dollar. Integrity + movie critic-- who'd guess they could be mutually inclusive.

Apr 5 - 05:20 PM

will m.t.

william munoz

Wanted to say something good about him...but all the others have said all the best things about Roger...May he rest in Peace

Apr 5 - 06:38 PM

Orlando Caztillo

Orlando Caztillo

You were the one of the greatest if not the. R.I.P, Mr.Ebert.

Apr 5 - 08:46 PM

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel