65% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Dolphin Tale Reviews

The Twiz
September 17, 2014
It seems like this would be the type of movie that we'd see at Wal-Mart and ask ourselves why we hadn't heard of it before, but then realizing it's because it was a straight-to-DVD release. This isn't that movie. It's still a little cheesy at parts, but it gets down to business and commits to its themes all the way.

There may be a lot of subplots, but they all connect with each other and don't ever feel forced. There's also no unrealistic antagonists (or bullies) that are typical of these family films, and there's no unnecessary love story to evoke our most vulnerable senses. The filmmakers are so aware of themselves and so careful not to make us roll our eyes that we can't help but be gracious.

Although the message is pretty much laid out on the table, it preaches them in a ways that we can all relate to. It reassures us that everything happens for a reason, and teaches us how we can take our misfortune and use it to help others instead of worrying about what it's hindering us from doing.

The two young leads do a great job with this one--especially Nathan Gamble who grasps his character's juxtaposition of character and does well showing us how he develops throughout the film.

I've said it before that there is a shortage of non-animated family films these days. This is one of the best ones from recent years.

Twizard Rating: 90
spursgirl0950
September 15, 2014
I love this movie. I also loved Dolphin Tale 2 it was a great movie. My mom took me to go see Dolphin Tale 2 last week Friday. Natalie
The Big Pupbowski
September 15, 2014
A decent family flick with Morgan Freeman stealing the show as usual.
September 14, 2014
Dr. Cameron McCarthy: "Just because you're hurt doesn't mean you're broken". Dolphin Tale is about a boy bonds with a dolphin who loses its tail after being caught in a crab trap. This movie was a harmless family flick with cute dolphins. People say that this is a copy and paste from free willy, but this is thing, I didn't like free willy at all, but I think this movie has a stronger message and it has better charterers. This is a harmless movie that little kids can enjoy and parents can find something good in this.
September 14, 2014
Joyful and inspiring film! Love it!
September 6, 2014
What surprised me the most about 'Dolphin Tale' is that it has all the signs of a cheesy and sentimental family film, but it does not layer this on too much because it stays true to its inspiring true story. While Harry Connick Jr., Morgan Freeman, and Nathan Gamble all give a lot to this movie, the real star is Winter, the dolphin who defied odds and learned how to swim with a prosthetic tail. 'Dolphin Tale' is not just a film for families, but should be an inspiring tale to general audiences.
September 1, 2014
While not a bad film, Dolphin Tale adds little to the animal-in-danger true story genre.
Gresh854
September 1, 2014
Its really touching. And thats about it.
April 6, 2014
Wonderful family movie with a nice story and great cast, I look forward to the next installment based on real life events
May 30, 2011
One of 2011's many feel-good films, as in wonderful and heartwarming. The film shows that there's always hope to those who needs it. (A)

(Full review coming soon)
teddy w.
August 18, 2014
dolphin tale is a true story and a good film
balkanbeauty85
August 16, 2014
The initial scenes of the movie show a pod of dolphins in their natural habitat followed by crab fishermen returning a crab trap to the ocean after emptying the trap of its contents.

In the next scene, Sawyer Nelson (Nathan Gamble) is biking along the beach when a fisherman (Richard Libertini), calls for help after finding an injured bottlenose dolphin tangled in a crab trap. The two call for assistance, and rescue workers from the Clearwater Marine Hospital, run by Dr. Clay Haskett (Harry Connick Jr.), take the injured dolphin for treatment. Clay's daughter Hazel (Cozi Zuehlsdorff) names the dolphin Winter, as two prior dolphins, Summer and Autumn, were successfully returned to the ocean, and thinks that using seasons as names will continue the streak. She allows Sawyer to see Winter. Clay initially does not approve of the arrangement since Sawyer is not trained or experienced in marine animal care, but after noticing that Winter responds well whenever Sawyer is around, he is permitted to visit. Soon Sawyer, who was enrolled in summer school due to his failing or nearly failing all his classes during the year, starts skipping classes daily to visit Winter. Sawyer's mother Lorraine (Ashley Judd) finds out about Sawyer skipping classes, but after seeing that Sawyer's interaction with Winter has improved his moods and well-being, something Sawyer had not shown since being abandoned by his father who disappeared five years earlier, she withdraws him from summer school and agrees to let him to volunteer at the hospital.
October 3, 2011
Perfectly suitable family film. The script was I feel under-written. But overall it achieves the goals set forth.
July 14, 2014
This movie was so awesome! Can't wait for the sequel!
September 15, 2011
cute story but it took a little too long to get into the main story,
Buggy43
March 23, 2014
Pretty great family movie about a young boy who befriends an injured dolphin after finding it caught in a crap trap. The dolphin loses its tail and the boy goes about convincing the locals at the marine hospital to help build it a prostatic one. Has its moments of clichés and redundant subplots but beautifully filmed, inspiring and just one of those feel-good movies we all need from time to time. Great cast involved here too. 4/10/14
June 19, 2014
A moving and inspiring tale.
A nice cast, although one less character would have made the movie feel less encumbered. Hats off to Nathan Gamble and Cozi Zuehlsdorff for their acting.
The movie lacked in on going complications. Most of them (aside the story of Winter the dolphin) were resolved in two consecutive scenes giving them a shallow feeling. A little extra tension would have made the good moments that much better.
Overall a beautiful movie to watch and an uplifting tale.
October 8, 2013
Just sweet enough to be recommendable to families yet not syrupy enough to annoy cynics.