Movies Like Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark

79% Penny Dreadful: Season 1
84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark Reviews

July 9, 2014
Or be afraid of anything for that matter. Unless it's Katie Holmes' agent. Getting her work as an actress is truly a power not of this world.
topjim
July 7, 2014
FFS, why don't you just believe the kid already????
June 19, 2014
The only good thing in this movie is one death scene, and spoiler: It's Katie Holmes's death scene!!!
Space C.
June 11, 2014
"It's like all the spooky Harry-Potter-scenes put together - out of round, and yes, extremely entertaining"
June 7, 2014
PelÝcula huevona. Raro que Guillermo del Toro haya escrito esto.
June 1, 2014
Me ha parecido una pelicula bastante mediocre. No logra asombrar ni asustar, o tal vez no era su cometido. Muy mala.
ForrestBlump
December 5, 2011
Why it takes always so long for the parents to believe there's a big problem ?
Cute little monsters
Good Movie
Second watch SOMDVD
slamdunkshohoku
May 17, 2014
The story and pacing is slow and draggy. Scare and fright factor is quite good. A decent horror movie. Too bad not much is known on the little monsters. The owner of the mansion make his maid trip on the stairs down and knock out her teeth to use as exchange for his son. The monsters drag him down to the hole as well. Guy Pearce, his daughter Bailee Madison and his girlfriend Katie Holmes move into the mansion. Bailee is sad because her mum don't want her and she's sad Guy is gonna marry Katie. Bailee is out exploring and found a basement, much to the dismay of caretaker Jack Thompson. Guy knock down the wall and find the entrance in the house. Bailee explore the basement secretly and unscrew the bolt that shut the pit. The monsters are talking to her to set them free. They appear in her bedroom and says they are friends. The monsters chew her doll's mouth. Katie dresses are cut and Guy scold Bailee for doing so. The monsters ask her to go down and she bring raisins for them. Jack came down and try to screw back the grate but is attack by the monsters and he is heavily injured. Bailee tell Katie she didn't cut her clothes and at bedtime she tell her not to leave or turn off the light. When Katie left, the monsters topple the carousel light and try to attack Bailee. She shine torchlight at them and shout for Guy. He get a psychologist for Bailee to access. Katie visit Jack to ask what's happening. He just tell her to get Bailee out of the house and go library read up. Katie did so and find out many unpublished paintings and words. One last artwork done by the owner is picture of the monster. The librarian says an author wrote a book about the netherworld creatures that feed on teeth and bones of children and they must take a life whenever they emerge. The monsters attack Bailee in the shower and luckily the worker bang open the door and save her. Katie quickly go home but Bailee isn't in her bedroom. She pack her bag and left. Guy found her on the road and bring her back. They got a party prepare at home. Katie saw the drawing by Bailee and she decide to bring her out immediately but Guy still don't believe the child. Bailee arm herself with polaroid and snap a photo of the monster. At the dinner the monster take away the photo and scratch it. Bailee chase after it to a room and is locked inside been attacked. She manage to kill one by crushing it between book shelf. The adults crash in and party's over. Guy saw the mural in the basement and want to leave the house. The monsters knock out Guy and disable the electric. Katie tripped from the stairs and fainted. The monsters drag Bailee down the basement. Guy and Katie awaken and she go down to save Bailee. Katie cut the ropes but her leg is caught in and she is drag down the hole. Bailee use the torch and crush dead a monster. Guy carry Bailee out of the basement. She offer a drawing of herself and Katie. It fly into the basement and suck into the sealed hole. Then there's voices saying they must fight. And Katie's voice saying they must go deeper and wait for others to come as they have all the time in the world..
May 7, 2014
Astoundingly nonsensical. If someone was dragged into a hole right in front of my eyes by either the natural or the supernatural, I would NOT stand there and watch, and then I would NOT go back there and leave them a drawing after a while. I would go right away and come back with a bulldozer and bring down the bloody building, dig out the foundations of it if I have to, to get to the person.
339z
May 6, 2014
well ummmm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is an alright movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.......i think that guy pearce, katie holmes, bailee madison, jack thompson, alan dale, play good roles/parts thorughout this movie.......i think that the director of this mystery/suspense/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie........its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that Grant Piro, Todd Macdonald, Angus Smallwood, Dylan Young and Guillermo del Toro as The Creature Voices, were good thorughout this movie......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......i think that guy pearce was brilliant throughout this movie.........i think that this is an alright movie 2 watch it is nothing special 2 watch its an alright movie 2 watch.......i think that James Mackay was good thorughout this movie.......its got a good cast throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......i think that alan dale was good throughout this movie........i think that the creatures were good throughout this movie......i think that this is an enjoyable movie 2 watch........it is nothing special 2 watch its an enjoyable horror movie 2 watch......there is nothing special about this movie but its an alright movie 2 watch......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie........i think that this is an alright movie 2 watch its got a good cast thorughout this movie.....its an enjoyable movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie...........
July 13, 2012
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (Troy Nixey, 2010)

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark didn't leave a huge impression on me, despite my having heard some pretty good things about it (and, of course, having Guillermo del Toro's name attached as a producer didn't hurt any). I certainly don't mean to imply that it is in any way a bad movie; there are far, far worse ways one can choose to kill ninety minutes, and I have reviewed more of those over the past twenty-eight years than I care to think about. But it felt more than once as if there was a great deal more that could have been done with this movie and never quite surfaced-with the end result being I found myself wondering on a few occasions if this wouldn't have been a better film if del Toro hadn't stepped into the director's chair. Talk about having your marketing backfire on you.

Alex (Rules of Engagement's Guy Pearce) and his new girlfriend/business partner Kim (Go's Katie Holmes) take on a massive job-the renovation of the old Blackwood estate, which has lain empty since the previous owner and his son mysteriously went missing some time ago. Alex and Kim move into the old place and start designing, hoping to get it redecorated, then turn around and sell it. Through various machinations, Alex's daughter from a previous marriage, Sally (Bridge to Terabithia's Bailee Madison), comes to stay with them. Cure dysfunctional family drama. But in this house, there are worse things than not getting along with your stepmother. After all, in the opening scene, they dispensed with old Lord Blackwood...

I should say at the outset that I haven't seen the 1973 original John Newland made-for-TV film. That may be affecting my reaction to this one, though I cannot say for certain whether the film's more violent detractors on various internet message boards generally fit that description. I did not have that same visceral reaction at all. In fact, as per the opening sentence of this review, I didn't have much of a reaction at all. Pearce and Holmes turned in competent performances, but brought their B games. That is relatively forgivable, since Madison is the real star of this show, but she seemed...pale. I don't want to say "anemic," since she threw everything she had into the character of Sally, and seemed to be having a whale of a time doing it, which leads me to the conclusion that the problem was not with Madison, but with the script with which Madison was working. Del Toro is a known commodity, so let's look up co-writer Matthew Robbins, shall we? And here is the genesis of it all. For every Cronos del Toro has turned out, Robbins has given the world a Mimic. And you know what they say about the bad apples. Amusingly, the Honeycrisp I just had for lunch looked as if someone had beaten the hell out of it with a rubber hose; the skin was perfect, but beneath it was full of bruises. That is not as much of a non-sequitur as it may seem at the end of this review. ** 1/2
April 10, 2014
this movie is a shitty movie.
Sgt. Cockstrain
November 4, 2013
(48%)
A well made, well acted spook show that won't live that long in the memory and it's a little bit too tame, but it's entertaining enough to be worth a watch.
March 25, 2012
A really enjoyable film even though the creatures look like mouldy KFC at times.
March 15, 2014
Honestly one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. Not scary, bad storyline, bad characters... Didn't really leave any room or anything for me to compliment.
March 6, 2014
Not the best horror film but I enjoyed it even if it was predictable Bailee Madison has a bright acting career in front of her in my opinion she did very well
February 24, 2014
Awful, nothing new I haven't seen before and frankly not even that scary, more unintentionally funny.
November 5, 2010
Good. Not super scary though.
June 27, 2011
not a bad movie. Katie Holmes' scream at the end, though... perfect!
December 21, 2011
A walking cliche. It's hard enough the sell the concept of little Dobby-like creatures trying to eat your teeth, but actually making a movie that works? This project was doomed from the beginning.