Movies Like Don't Come Knocking

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Don't Come Knocking Reviews

July 18, 2014
Quirky off beat story of a man who decides rather late in life that it's time to pick up the dropped threads of a life he abandoned a long time ago. Love Sarah Polley's role and the Hopper inspired camera work.
Matty Stanfield
July 6, 2014
It doesn't work, but Jessica Lange sparks the screen whenever she is on it. Sadly, this feels like lazy filmmaking and a true waste of some very talented actors. Only Lange escapes unscathed.
November 4, 2012
"Like I couldn't breathe sometimes.
Like I was falling, and I had to catch myself.
Like I couldn't stop falling.
Then one day it ended.
It just came to an end.
It just stopped.
And I don't ever wanna go back to that.
Falling.
I don't ever wanna go back."
May 9, 2012
Being from butte i could catch the few glitches and the son was over played
May 6, 2012
When it comes to Wim Wenders it's not a middle-age crisis...it's an existentialist crisis
April 13, 2012
I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS!
March 1, 2012
Like another "Paris Texas" Again, a family affair, our hero is searching for his roots in little towns and deserted landscapes.

Despite all of its artistic achievements - acting, cinematography, score, and design - Don't Come Knocking suffers from a weak story line. A tired cliché about the man who've seen it all, had it all, but was never completely happy, and thus he abandons everything in search of the mother he hasn't seen in 30 years, and later his old lover and unknown off-springs. In the end, of course, they are all good, forgiving buddies. Don't Come Knocking is Hollywood sugarcoated at heart, but comes with generous helping of superb cinema, Wenders's signature forte.
February 1, 2012
This was ok, wasn't spectacular in anyway. It played out a little slow though.
SantIngela
April 19, 2011

Anthony L

February 15, 2011
The mood and pace of the film is classic Western, but for me something wasn't quite right, the balance was just a little to tilted. I understood the symbolism between Tim Roth's character and Sam Shepard protagonist but I didn't think there was anything new here, nothing that hadn't been done before. Strange for a Wenders film really - A far cry from the great Paris, Texas anyway - the poor performances from Gabriel Mann and Fairuza Balk didn't help either but strangely, I did kind of like it, although I'm cetainly not mad about it.
December 31, 2010
BAAAAAD! This movie is terrible, absolutely terrible, the main character's son just shouts obsenitys all through the film, and I'm suppose to feel for the "rebel without a cause". Thh.
sasysasu
November 21, 2010
Ein beachtlicher Film, der sich zwar ein bisschen zieht, aber dadurch eine ganz eigene Stimmung von Verzweiflung und Verlorensein transportiert.
fugazisbud
May 31, 2010
Pretty good film.Very plain writing.Good acting though.
IFR Reviews
May 2, 2010
Overly dramatic, pointless and kind of stuped " dont come knocking" could have been better if it dident try so hard to be good.
July 18, 2009
Interesting but far too slow.
April 5, 2009
Considering the incredible talent on display it's a shame this film didn't work out better. Paris, Texas was such a huge favorite of mine, I was so highly anticipating Wenders and Shepard's long-awaited reunion film. Sadly, it didn't pay off. Still, there are some curiously intriguing bits. Mainly thanks to the great cast and Shepard in particular.
onomatopee
May 30, 2006
Another wonderful road movie coming from Win Wenders. A touching story about a man who escaped his responsibilities during his lifetime and wants to get back in touch with his son and daughter. Great performances and great music too! The cinematography will make you want to take out your car and visit the desert roads of America.
gregleetz
November 7, 2008
It was adecent movie which i would have onl given 3 stars, but it was filmed in my old neighborhood in Butte Montana. It was great seeing the old streets on the screen! Sam Shepard, Tim Roth, Jessica Lange, and Sarah Polley all play good roles, but it fell slightly short! Jessica Lange is smokin hot for her age, and i want her! LOL
March 15, 2009
Que linda película una buena fotografía un color maravilloso, un casting de puta madre y una dirección asombrosa, no se pude estar solo para siempre, las familias pueden surgir de la nada y son mucho mas que vínculos de sangre
Daniel P

February 19, 2009
Very impressed with this film. A great anti-Western, it's depicting a world outside of the Western genre still shot in, basically, the Western genre. The leading man echoes Clint Eastwood in a way - Clint's got six children by a few different women - and you can't help but ask what that's like when the on-screen cowboy has an off-screen cowboy story of a life to live.

Utah, Nevada and Montana look beautiful and desperate in this film, and though it starts off sort of comically, it becomes clear that there is a lot of pain in these characters. Well-acted and well-shot, if not an example of super writing, I'm still hearing that Don't Come Knocking isn't one of Wim Wenders' best. It's the first of his movies I've watched, and it's opened my eyes to his oeuvre nevertheless. Coming from Germany, it blows my mind that he can tell a wonderfully American story like this one, but thanks to this film I'll be sure to visit Paris, Texas shortly.

Lots of meta-film going on here, too: how many movies are actually filmed in Bute, Montana? Import Sam Shepard, Jessica Lange, Sarah Polley et al to the town, and you have to wonder if it could have had a real effect on the town akin to the one the main character's film did within the story... probably not, but it's a question that makes it interesting.

It's hard to say much about this movie without spoiling it, and it does move really slowly, but I was hanging off it the whole way - suffice to say that in a later scene, why the White Stripes make sense to America, the world and me was hammered home, which might've made the movie in itself. The style and the chase at the heart of the story seemed like an inspiration for No Country For Old Men, too... at any rate, in my opinion, this is a film (and probably a director) not to be missed.