Don't Move Reviews

January 3, 2009
a haunting and passionate film.
½ January 3, 2009
An interesting movie. Sometimes a little confusing as Timoteo is remembering the past as his daughter is going through a life and death surgery. We find out he was about to leave his wife for a sultry Italia (Penelope Cruz), but chose to stay with his wife when she became pregnant.
Harlequin68
½ April 4, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkorange]"Upside of Anger" starts out with a funeral. Then, it flashes back three years to when Terry Wolfmeyer(Joan Allen) and Denny Davies(Kevin Costner) bond over alcohol - she's drinking vodka; he's drinking beer.(Was Budweiser a sponsor of this movie?) She's angry over having been left by her husband for his Swedish secretary. And this is most of my problem with the movie - it's natural to be angry and bitter after an event like that but all four of her daughters(each daughter has her irrelevant subplot) regard her with disdain but with no sympathy. I understand the need to move on but you have to be patient with the person in question and that's also in short supply. Oh and Davies is a retired ballplayer who is an on air radio personality who refuses to talk about baseball. (Lots of ex-ballplayers make their living this way. And as long as he pays his taxes I have no problem with this.) The main theme of "Upside of Anger" is that it is wrong to live in the past; but the movie clubs it to death and then drops it out of a very high window. Plus, the movie felt very manipulative.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff8c00][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff8c00]Kevin Costner was also playing a member of the Detroit Tigers in "For the Love of the Game." As a Detroit Tigers fan, I have to ask: what did we do to deserve this?[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff8c00][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=green]"Don't Move" starts out with a shot looking down at the scene of an accident through a rainstorm. Teenaged Angela has been severely injured in the accident. Her father Timoteo(Sergio Castellitto) is a surgeon at that same hospital. His daughter's accident brings him to reminisce about the past - namely, his car breaking down on the edge of town on the hottest day of the summer. He goes to use the phone at the home of Italia(Penelope Cruz) and in a drunken rage, rapes her. He returns to again have rough sex with her and gives her money.[/color][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][color=#008000]"Don't Move" is an Italian film that has some fairly high ambitions. The main theme concerns the very idea of forgiveness - can Timoteo be forgiven for what he has done? Or in more general, can men be forgiven for all the evil that they do? I don't think so, even if the film has other ideas...plus class plays a very important role in "Don't Move". Italia is a very poor seasonal worker but Timoteo's wife is quite wealthy. It's inferred that Timoteo is from a middle class background as he walks the line between the two. [/color][/font]
lesleyanorton
½ October 19, 2009
Penelope Cruz in a standout performance as a trashy mixed-up girl who becomes sexually involved with a repressed married doctor. You know its all going to end badly.
mvieaddict
April 30, 2009
In Don't Move, actor and director Timoteo played by Sergio Castellito was a wealthy surgeon who seemed to have the perfect life. A beautiful wife, a luxurious beach house, but these superficial aspects were not what he wanted out of life. Timoteo's relationship with his wife lacked of passion and true love. Timoteo's life was changed when he met a woman named Italia , Penelope Cruz and raped her. She was a lower class woman and uneducated. Passion grew into love, and both Timoteo and Italia were happy when they were together.The movie was so realistic, it showed the daily struggles of each character and their desire they wanted to fulfill, such as love, passion and happiness. The ending was not a happy at all, showing Timoteo back with his wife and appreciation his daughter got a chance to live. Italia died,and Timoteo must faced reality and let Italia became nothing more than a memory and a lesson of life.
iLeo
May 31, 2007
An intriguing movie. Fascinating story plot. Here's a movie filled with a bit of drama, and love gained and lost.
September 19, 2011
cruz and actor/director castellitto sweat and smolder the plot resembles the marilyn monroe movie where her neighbor sends the family to the beach 2 avoid the summer heat wave.
May 29, 2007
Fresh perspective in human's complexity and the relativity of morals. Cruz not always believable though. Nice soundtrack.
½ April 17, 2007
Excellent casting, screenplay, directing and story.
So well written, that emotion and character empathy overpower all those raunchy sex scenes : o
December 26, 2006
This was the first movie I had seen starring Penelope Cruz in a role that showed what a powerful actress she reall is. Gripping.
½ July 28, 2013
Intriguing melodrama at most. Solid performance of Penélope Cruz saving the movie from disaster.
January 30, 2013
A succesful doctor recalls the love story he had with a hapless woman whom he raped and then grew a genuine affection for on the day he hears of her daughter's involvement in a car accident. Actor turned director Castellitto uses a style too eccentric and overwhelming for the cold storyline, but the film is held up by the great performances, particularly the one by Cruz as the misfit Italia.
½ October 27, 2012
I think this is one of the best performance by Penà (C)lope Cruz, and I think her character was ment to be kinda hatted rather than loved.
½ January 30, 2012
little character exploration and weak ending but overall a heartwrenching exploration of the twisted human dilemma of love, cowardice and mid life crisis. the turbulence of the plot keeps haunting
½ December 18, 2011
Sergio Castellito co-wrote, directed and stared in this 2004 romantic drama about a respectable surgeon Timoteo (Castellito), whose operation is interrupted by the news of his daughter Angela's motorcycle accident. She is brought to his hospital where an operation is to take place, while the desperate father waits in front of the operation room. There, he has time to think, and the film further evolves by showing scenes from his sinful past.

In the flashback, we can see Timoteo's dissatisfaction with his marriage even before Angela was born, but, more importantly, the accent is on his relationship with Italia (Penelope Cruz), which began by him rapping her. For a long time he has kept a double life, in love with Italia, but too much of a coward to confess that to his wife. Time for a final decision must come some day, and we suspect it can't end well.

This was Castellito's biggest international success, and I can see why some would like it. Its heart is in the right place, and it has one great performance by Penelope Cruz. However, the flaws in it can't be reduced by its nobility. My main objection is that I couldn't believe, as the story suggested, that Italia was the greatest love of Timoteo's life. Sure, they are connected by the troubled past, but the relation on the screen was not as further developed as Castellito wished. It seemed to me, as harsh as it may sound, that he showed a relation based on lust, trying then to sell it as great love.

The photography is quite beautiful in some parts, but the director had constant problems with the tone of the picture. He lost every chance to establish it with the overuse of slow motion in the first half, which probably looked like an easy way out of the creative problem.

Penelope Cruz is, undoubtedly, a star of the film. On a deeper level, her Lucia doesn't believe in a happy conclusion of this romance. She lives in fear which soon turns into an obsession, and Cruz managed to show this with the necessary subtlety. As for Castellito's performance, I'm not so sure of its constancy. I kept changing my mind about his interpretation during and after the film, maybe because I've seen much better actors doing these types of roles (Daniel Day-Lewis in The Age of Innocence comes to my mind).

My final impression is that Castellito wasn't able to surpass the picture's utter predictability. That doesn't have to be a flaw in these kinds of films, if a director is brave and skillful enough not to lead it through every single one of the usual steps. Castellito obviously didn't have the guts, and that's why the desired cathartic ending falls flat.
½ November 3, 2011
¿Poor people stay poor people? and then die.....Status Quo saved once more by The Rulers of moral hypocrisy
April 6, 2011
Movie gem of the Week: It doesn't seem to have great reviews... though I really liked it.
½ November 17, 2010
Meh. Two and a half stars. Penelope Cruz and Sergio Castellitto are both good for the most part, but the direction is sometimes off-putting, and the Euro-American pop soundtrack is really jarring. Plus, it is just too melodramatic. There is one scene where I swear Cruz is channeling Giulietta Masina, and it just does not work at all. Anyway, it drags at times, and by the end, I was mostly just glad it was over.
½ August 22, 2010
Anyone thinking this movie is about whether a love affair can plausibly evolve from a sexual assault has missed the entire point of the movie, which, like life, is far more complex than such a reductive view.

In Italia (P. Cruz) Timo has found his imago, and they embark on an affair that can only come to a band end - they both recognize this - but affairs are not about the destination, they are about the journey.

All great and doomed love affairs are the same journey - healing the wounds of our past.

The performances here are restrained and affecting, preventing the story from descending into melodrama. Penelope Cruz is stunning, revealing a vulnerability and depth that often seems to elude her in her English speaking films.