Don't Say a Word Reviews

December 27, 2009
Renowned psychiatrist Nathan Conrad visits an 18 year old woman who is mentally disturbed with his colleague Dr Sachs. The next morning he awakes to find his daughter kidnapped and him and his wife under surveillance by a shadowy group of men. He is given until 5pm that day to get the patient to reveal a 6 digit number to him that is locked up in her head. Meanwhile his wife is trapped in their flat and police woman Cassidy is piecing together a puzzle that begins with the discovery of two related murders.

It doesn't matter how daft a story is if it manages to convince you for as long as it's on screen. For example Face/Off has the most absurd plot in the world, but for 2 hours it doesn't matter and it carries you along. This doesn't quite manage the same trick. The plot is daft - every single part of it is silly from the idea of a girl being unreachable is daft, the idea of the gang doing this is daft and the way that with very little notice the gang manage to set up cameras everywhere.

That said it has it's moments - the opening robbery is good and some of the drama works well. However for too much of the film you feel like the director is really trying to make it feel more tense than it is - witness the scene where Conrad first finds talks to Patrick Koster on the phone, the camera spins wildly all round him. Similarly he uses a lot of handheld stuff to give the impression of more action than is really happening, he also uses other lazy tricks like having everyone shouting their lines at times and making everyone squeal their tyres etc when they drive! These combined with the silly plot make it hard to get into.

Douglas is OK but he doesn't convince as the strong father figure that saves the day - he looks too old to take on Bean in a fight. He also looks far to old to have a beauty like Famke Janssen. She does well despite being stuck indoors all the time - the only problem with her is that she is far to warm and perfect a character. Murphy is good although she has moments where she's too hammy. Bean and his gang are good but they are distant from the action and never feel like a real threat - in fact you could almost sympathise with Bean, having been double-crossed at the start and wasting 10 years of his life. Esposito is OK but she doesn't really have a character - she tries to be tough and slightly sassy (a role she did so well everyday in Spin City) but she comes across as nondescript as her black leather coat. Victor Argo is a pleasure to see, but he's wasted here with nothing to do in a really small role. Fans of Abel Ferrera will know him while he's been in other things (notably the two Smoke films) and know how good a character actor he can be.

Overall this never manages to rise above it's silly plot. It has it's moments but with lesser stars this would have been just another silly straight-to-video thriller.
½ September 22, 2009
Don't say a word and don't bother watching this film!
thmtsang
July 14, 2007
Excellent thriller about a kidnapped girl and how Michael Douglas a psychiatrist gets information from Brittany Murphy a tramatized patient to solve the case.
February 21, 2007
A fantastic performance by Brittany Murphy makes this story so great. My favourite performance of hers to date. Original story, covering a heist, a mental institution and a kidnap

VERDICT: Definitely recommend.
½ August 20, 2007
"i'll never telll"
April 29, 2007
A pretty good thriller with a good story.
April 12, 2007
I'm going to punish my kids with this movie when they get older.
deano
November 29, 2006
One of the best thriller films of the year with Michael Douglas and Brittany Murphy. FANTASTIC!
½ November 14, 2006
Suspenseful...
October 30, 2006
Good thriller if not great.
½ June 13, 2006
A kidnapping movie with a twist that's kind of neat at first, but the movie feels to glossy to take seriously. Michael Douglas is a'ight and Sean Bean is a bad guy...again, but nothing really special.
Nate Z.
½ February 24, 2006
[font=Arial][color=darkred]I don't know about the marketers but something strange is taking place with the public recognition of 'Don't Say a Word'. At school, church, and home I hear it referred to often as the "I'll never tell" movie. Which could be great for public awareness, what sinking that ending sing-songy whisper of Brittany Murphy into the populace's mind, but what good is awareness if they think it's a different movie?[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Michael Douglas is the best child psychiatrist we have, but not only that, why he's a loving dad as well. He gets called in to inspect a new patient Elisabeth Burrows (Brittany Murphy) who appears to be one loony nut to crack. But of course Douglas can because he's the best. A team of foiled bank robbers kidnap Douglas' child and order him to somehow dislodge a key sequence of six numbers stuck in the tortured head of Elisabeth. Can Douglas rescue his daughter and topple the bad bank robbers in the process and protect his disabled wife (Famke Janssen) in the process? Well of course. He's the best damn child psychiatrist we have.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]'Don't Say a Word' is the type of film that leaves nothing to chance for the audience. It's a film that paints with broad strokes, forgetting its massive plot holes and frequent missteps with logic, and spells everything out for the audience - but still fowls this up. 'Word' is so by-the-numbers and predictable that it hardly ever muscles up enough of a fight to keep an audience's attention. A female detective (Jennifer Esposito) is on the case and following the clues to find Elisabeth. We simply know that her only purpose is to come from nowhere and save Douglas in a tense exchange. The bad guys aren't all bad; some make peanut butter and marmalade sandwiches. In the beginning robbery we know that it's the past, why? They talk about football and U2 plays over the robbery! Surely this must be the early 90s![/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Douglas spends most of the film either scowling at people or trying to look sincere, which comes off looking like an impatient child that has to go the bathroom. This is essentially a Michael Douglas film and I guess Michael Douglas plays the role of Michael Douglas with ease. Too bad the rest of the movie is full of people that look like they don't know what they're doing in this mess.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Janssen is confined for the entire movie to her bed. The movie could have expertly veered into her paranoia and feelings of helplessness stuck in her house while her daughter has been taken from her. Instead she's merely pretty window dressing. The only purpose she has with a broken leg and confined to a bed is that we know that some bad guy will come down and she'll have to hide and fight for herself.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Bean makes an adequate bad guy (as he did in 'Golden Eye') but he doesn't have much to do except mug on a cell phone or in a speeding car. The rest of his posse is basically a central casting call for gang members, from the motor mouth black guy to the biker to the computer whiz. And all of these people are fighting, killing, and destroying mass amount of public property for a ruby the size of a fingernail? And where did they get all this money to pull off a scheme like the one they perpetrate on Douglas' family? It's like the team took a trip to Circuit City and bought the store.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]'Don't Say a Word' is really a thriller that doesn't thrill, and one that causes you to smack yourself in the head at several eye-rolling moments. Douglas escorts his hospitalized and supposedly dangerous patient out of a hospital with nary a glance or tinge of trouble all because he pulled a fire alarm. Are we back in junior high or something? As well as the moment Douglas first spots Murphy he calls her out by dropping her arm but she supposedly had fooled a legion of trained medical professionals before? 'Word' is a series of contrivances and mounting questions that never get answered.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]'Don't Say a Word' is so run-of-the-mill that its often times dull and void of life. The audience of 'Don't Say a Word' might come off thinking they have the power of Miss Cleo with all the predictions they'll get right. It's basically a recycling of everything you've seen many times before in better thrillers. Murphy's performance lifts the bar occasionally but this is a dog that is in desperate need of being shot.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Nate's Grade: C[/color][/font]
November 24, 2012
The suspense thriller Don't Say a Word is an impressive and intense film that's smart and well-crafted. The story follows a preeminent psychiatrist that must get a 6 digit number from a mental patient in order to save his daughter, who's been kidnapped and held hostage. The casting is phenomenal, and includes Michael Douglas, Brittany Murphy, Sean Bean, and Jennifer Esposito. Douglas is in top form and Murphy gives an inspired performance that nearly steals the film. Additionally, the directing is quite good and does an excellent job at building suspense and intrigue as the story unfolds. There are a few weaknesses in the storytelling, but overall Don't Say a Word delivers a captivating and powerful psychological thriller.
xxdebxx
September 12, 2009
Michael Douglas stars as Dr. Nathan Conrad, an uptown psychiatrist whose happy family life is turned upside down when his young daughter is suddenly kidnapped. X-Men's Famke Jansen is Douglas's physically-challenged wife but Brittany Murphy is the most brilliant in this film as the crazed mental patient, she appears to be so twisted it is almost scary. English actor, Sean Bean is very good as the villain.

This is a solid thriller with excellent performances but the story is predictable and nothing you haven't seen before.
alanjayh
May 14, 2010
This is your typical hollywood thriller--formulaic, predicatable, and nothing out of the usual. That being said, Douglas puts forth another fine performance, and his supporting cast is rock solid, especially the bad guy played by Sean Bean. Even though you know how it will all turn out, the suspense, tension and thrill quotient is played out rather well and will hold your interest. It is what it is and makes no pretensions otherwise, it entertains and thats ok with me.
KevinTheMovieManiac
½ December 2, 2008
This is an above average thiller. We get great performances from the cast as a bonus. Heres who we are looking at for almost two hours of your time, Micheal Douglas,Brittany Murphy,Famke Janssen, Sean Bean,Jennifer Esposito and Oliver Platt. Wow what a cast right and in my opinion they deliver! Especially when we get the scenes with Murphy, I mean see really controls the screen and out acts Douglas a bit. Of course Douglas is always going to deliver the goods thats just who he is. He will rarley dissapoint you. This movie leaves with this worried face because you are so terrified for the litle girl who has been kinapped. For some reason I wanted to ring Murphy's reck to get the information out of her. If only she would give Micheal Douglas the damn numbers he could get his daughter back. So the whole movie the audience is like: damn you Brittany lol. Oh yeah on a second note they did a horriable job casting the little girl who plays Brittany Murphy in the flashbacks! I mean come on it doesnt look a thing like her, Murphy does not have freackles people! I know thats a small thing but it always bothers me when they do that lol. Anyways this movie kept me entertained throughout and while this might not be the best thiller ever made its definitely an enjoyable ride that is worth taking once or twice mainly due to the perfromance of Murphy and its twists.
weelee18
August 16, 2007
Dont Sat a word -You want what they want, don't you... I'll never tell... any of you..

A group of thieves steal a rare gem, but in the process, two of the men double cross the leader of the thieving group, Patrick, and take off with the precious stone. Ten years later, prominent psychiatrist Nathan Conrad is invited to examine a disturbed young woman named Elisabeth. Patrick immediately kidnaps Nathan's daughter, forcing Nathan to attempt to get Elisabeth to reveal a secret number which will ultimately lead Patrick to the whereabouts of the precious gem that has eluded him..

I really enjoyed this film.. kept me on the edge of my seat!.. latley not alot of films like it.. so it was good for a change!!!

Brittany murphey's peformance was outstanding in this she did a brilliant job in this.. i liked michael and sean's performance too!!

Recommed you to watch..
January 4, 2009
Good performance from Brittany Murphy, a strong storyline with some twists and turns along the way
mingsysar
½ August 15, 2006
Brittany Murphy is the star of this film, but Sean Bean should've been. Instead we have to spend time with Michael Douglas and his boring family: Famke Janssen. The villain and the not so insane asylum inmate are much more interesting. But still, it's a relatively minor misstep.
February 3, 2008
It just doesn't end! It starts off okay and then you just don't care.