Double Whammy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Double Whammy Reviews

stevetheman1236
August 14, 2011
Certainly not a great film, but very underrated. I thought it was very funny. Offbeat, but very funny.
November 29, 2011
In a long line of off-beat comedies, "Double Whammy" has to come in as one of the twistiest out there. It never quite figures out what kind of movie it wants to be, making it an oddly enjoyable viewing experience. Sure, "Double Whammy" isn't anything special nor does it ever try to be. It's small-time, peculiar, original, and entertaining. This is a clever little motion picture.
August 18, 2010
A meddled mess of stories that manage to bump into each other, but fail to connect in any coherent manner. Leary offered up a lackluster lead and Buscemi's character was so poorly written that he never had a chance. DiCillo definitely disappointed in this one. At least we had Elizabeth Hurley to gaze at for a few scenes.

I rate this 42/100

Review # 10
August 18, 2008
Moderately successful romance/crime/comedy, with the actors trying hard but faltering under unfocused direction. I think what the director intended and what it turned out to be are not at all the same. Steve Buscemi is great.
April 13, 2008
With Denis Leary , Elizabeth Hurley and Steve Buschemi-who cares if it is only a 3 star movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ April 3, 2006
Very underrated film.denis leary plays a Detective whose persistant back problem kept him from performing his duties-his dignity shattered, he limps along trying to find himself, and the ones who tried to kill his friend and landlord(luis guzman).I didn't enjoy Elizibeth Hurley in this one, but everyone else was great.the side story with the young "filmmakers" is funny as all get out, they should have focused more on them,imo.Cool movie!:fresh:
April 3, 2004
I find Denis Leary to be one of the most irritating men on the planet. He's rarely funny, not attractive, and I can't remember one movie where I've said "Oh wow! Denis Leary was pretty good in that!"

I obviously did not watch Double Whammy because Denis Leary is on the front of the DVD case. But rather a different man, who I feel deserves more recognition. That's right...I'm talking about Chris Noth, [i]Sex and the City's[/i] Mr. Big...

But all jokes aside...

Double Whammy is the story of a New York detective (Denis Leary) who hurts himself on the job, which winds up turning him into the laughing stock of his co-workers. The detective recently lost his wife and daughter in a car accident, and spends much of his time getting high. MEANWHILE, the super of the building that the detective lives in (Luis Guzman) is getting into huge fights with her daughter. So, the daughter does what any normal teenager would do--she hires two Mexicans to kill her father. MEANWHILE, another tenant in the apartment complex is constantly trying to come up with new and interesting ideas in filmaking with his partner (Donald Faison). Eventually, you guessed it, all of the stories come together, and hilarity ensues.

Listen, I bought this movie for $5.50 at Wal-Mart, so I didn't expect it to be that great (which it isn't). It's funny at times and entertaining enough that I can say that the money was well spent.

I still hate Denis Leary though.
½ May 26, 2015
Tom DiCillo, apparently, has a pretty good reputation as far as independent filmmakers are concerned. He's, obviously, not quite Jim Jarmusch as far as reputation goes. I say apparently because, other than this, as far as I can remember, I have not seen any one of his movies. This is not really meant as a knock of DiCillo's skills or talents as a screenwriter/director, but this film is not particularly good. What I mean is the fact that, at least before the halfway mark of the film, there's not much of anything really going on here. Yes, Ray Pluto finds himself in situations that make him look like the worst cop possible, even if he is not to blame, and he's also dealing with the emotional aftermath of his wife and daughter being killed during a hit-and-run. But I just don't felt that it really led to absolutely anything. There is a scene where Ray has a flashback to the day of the accident. Several characters also bring it up, but this flashback scene is the only moment where Ray faces it head-on and it's just not particularly good either. Maybe it's that Dennis Leary isn't that good of an actor to pull off the tortured part. I think he's good in comedies, but I wouldn't count on him for more serious stuff, like, you guessed it, having to have the weight of the world on his back due to this accident. I'm just not drawn into it, really and it's not like the film makes it a big part of the film. It doesn't really play part into the "main" narrative. I put that in quotation marks because, as I said, the film is really, for the most part, about nothing. The film does try once it gets halfway through in that Ray is trying to search for the criminals that almost killed the superintendent of his apartment complex. It's not like it's a good narrative or that you care about it. By this point, really, it's much too late to get started. There's also the whole romance subplot, which feels totally out-of-place here. And I don't think that Dennis Leary and Elizabeth Hurley had much chemistry to begin with, so it makes buying into them as a couple all the more difficult. I just find the whole thing tonally very inconsistent. There's moments where the film is silly and quirky and there's other parts where it's super serious to the point that the film is a mockery of itself. As far as comedy, there's really none to speak of. I mean it has its moments, but I found this all to be horrifically unfunny for the most part. It's certainly easy to watch, it's not very long, and it's competently made, technically speaking. But when you talk about putting together story and characters, it's an absolute fucking mess. Cast is decent, but they can't really do much to save this from the hole that it digs for itself. Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but I do actually regret watching this. Not that it's terrible or idiotic, it's just that I felt I wasted my time watching this. I didn't get anything out of this. I don't think apathy counts, but if it did then there's that. Not something you should avoid like the plague, but it's not very good either. There's better stuff to occupy your time with. Like watching paint dry, maybe.
January 8, 2014
Steve Buscemi is gay! Movie doesn't make much sense
May 23, 2013
uneven but somewhat enjoyable.
November 29, 2011
stevetheman1236
August 14, 2011
August 10, 2011
Very underrated... not bad and hilarious
½ April 12, 2011
nice action-cum comedy movie..
learn new words from this movie too..
½ December 30, 2010
I lost some brain cells trying to watch this
August 18, 2010

I rate this 42/100

Review # 10
August 13, 2010
A black comedy from Tom DiCillo that has a lot going on in it and is just plain bizarre in places. It's worth watching for Denis Leary and Steve Buscemi's performances and there are some real laughs in it although most of the characters are just too weird for mass public consumption (the scriptwriters and teenager who hires thugs to kill her father)...which could definitely be attractive to some!