• Unrated, 1 hr. 13 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Doug Stanhope - No Refunds Reviews

ColumboFan
June 15, 2010
I think this Doug Stanhope fellow can make his case as the best comedian working today. That surprises me because I always thought I hated this guy.

He's been around a while, and I remember when he and that annoying Joe Rogan replaced Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corolla on "The Man Show" and they were awful. It was unwatchable. Then Stanhope did these Girls Gone Wild commercials and he wasn't funny there either. (Why am I watching Girls Gone Wild commercials, you ask? Well, not that it's any of your business, but I fall asleep after the Daily Show and wake up to the Girls Gone Wild commercials quite regularly. That's what they play on Comedy Central from 4 to 6AM, every day! What can I do? I can't find the remote, it probably fell behind the headboard or something, so I just watch it. It's a litte hard to go back to sleep after waking up to girls getting all wet and wild and whatnot. It feels like a fever dream.)

Anyway, I didn't find him funny at all, although it's a pretty tough gig trying to compete with naked women. There are times for comedy, and then there are times NOT for comedy. Naked women jumping about, pillow fights, all that, you can send the comedian home early, right? We won't be needing the magician either. It's superfluous.

In any case I just chalked up Doug Stanhope as a bad comedian. I was dead wrong though, he's great. He just has a bad agent and this is probably the hardest I've laughed since Chris Rock. Stanhope is a troubled man, no question, but it comes out distorted, with a weird logic, and he's hilarious. I laughed myself silly and I recommend it highly.

However, this is a pretty dirty, so if you don't like your comedy "blue", don't rent this. You want "Wild Hogs", the one with the delightful old guys wrecking their motor-sickles. That's your kind of humor. Doug Stanhope might get your knickers in a twist.
Deadeye26