Down the Shore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Down the Shore Reviews

February 21, 2014
wow, the first film i have seen for a long time with such emotion and substance,
the actors are so believable and the plot thickens as it moves along with effortless intrigue. i must see again, oh what the hell i want it for my collection
½ June 3, 2014
Tuesday, June 3, 2014

(2013) Down The Shore

James Gandolfini is a great actor and this movie shows it. However, the end of movie doesn't know how to maintain the story's rhythm. He plays Baily Julia who while working as a maintenance on a nearly run down amusement park gets a visit from a French guy named Jacques (Edoardo Costa) from Paris claiming to be his sister's husband. The reason for Jacques visit was to notify him that his sister had just recently died from cancer, and that he was instructed to give Baily her ashes as well as a letter. Jacques who also accepts the name Jack other reason to visit Baily was to work alongside with Baily which he doesn't really want to do. And as the movie is progressing, we get to hear more surprising revelations about Baily as well as the owner of the amusement park, by the name of Wiley (Joseph Pope) and the woman who is kind of caught in the middle by the name of Mary (Famke Janssen) trying to raise their mentally challenged 17 year old son, Martin (John Magaro).

Some of the existing problems is that viewers may be baffled about Jacques motivations for hanging around with a brother-in-law who initially despises him. Baily does bother him about a load of money that his sister was supposed to have we're somehow kept in the dark about how Jacques even acquired the money in the first place. And what was Jacques motivations for hanging onto this money for such a long time for the movie kind of make Jaques into an artificial character who has a knack to get people to expose their private secrets. And it is for that reason and more which is why I can't recommend it despite it's good intentions.

2 out of 4 stars

½ December 31, 2013
Love James Gandolfini, but this movie lacked something I just can't put my finger on.
½ August 13, 2013
This is a hidden gem. Has some plot flaws but good performances, especially from James Gandolfini, sometimes was tough to watch, knowing he's gone.
½ June 23, 2013
Fine performances by James Gandolfini and cast.
April 27, 2013
Great acting, but unnecessarily broody.
April 11, 2013
An exquisitely acted slice of down beat New Jersey life. Certain contrived plot elements aside, Down The Shore grabs your interest even if it does tend to get a bit confusing in it's final moments, that being said.. I'm still not exactly sure what various character's motivations were. If you're looking to get lost in some decent melodrama for an hour and a half then look no further.
April 3, 2013
I'm still waiting for Gandolphini to grab hold of a standout role so he can win an Oscar already. This a solid yet hollow indie with a great cast. Gandolphini is always really good. But the standout is Joe Pope as the tormented Wiley who has the film's darkest and most vulnerable moments. Magaro also deserves some recognition here, who undeniably is channeling Leo DiCaprio in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape".