20% The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Down with Love Reviews

Jennifer X

April 28, 2011
Oh my god Renee was so obnoxious my respect for her plummeted to Nathaniel Rogers levels. The one redeeming quality of this film was Ewan McGregor. He was seriously sexy.
Eliza N

July 23, 2009
Ewan McGregor was marvelous ,as always!
Ken S

March 26, 2007
I enjoy this film way more than any straight man should.
Megan S

February 20, 2007
I loved the outfits and I love Ewan McGregor. The twist was silly and the scene where it was all "revealed" was kind of weird.
Luke B

August 30, 2008
A perfect homage to screwball comedies of the past. I saw perfect as it doesn't become restricted by such films and feels comfortable taking themes and situations more akin with todays films. The comedy is often predictable such as misunderstood eavesdropping (always a winner) but it is pulled off with such grace it's hard to be too strict on the film as a whole. Everyone does a fantastic job, from the stars to the wardrobe department, in a team effort to recreate the sixties. Smart, not smug.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

March 29, 2008
good film excellant storyline rlei watchit reli
Jens S

June 14, 2006
This is not a parody of 60s screwball comedies, it IS one. Set in the 60s, with a fitting soundtrack, looks, clothes and sets it has all the ingredients the old Rock Hudson - Doris Day movies had, including split screen telephone conversations, music collages and plenty of innuendos, misunderstandings and witty dialogues. McGregor and Zellweger are convincing in their roles, so is Pierce, although he simply seems to revive his role as Niles Frasier. So the movie is rather amusing and entertaining for the longest time, only the ending seems somewhat anticlimatic and is a tad disappointing. Still, not bad for a rainy day in front of the TV.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 11, 2007
Tony Randall is perfect. Everybody else is arch beyond belief, Zellweger once again proves herself talent free
deano
deano

October 30, 2006
This average comedy is part homage, part spoof batting-sexes romances and it doesn't make me laugh enough.
Michael G

October 6, 2006
A total novelty act, but it was fun. The movie looked like candy and I wanted to eat it.
Rico Z

July 4, 2006
Such a funny little movie. It's so kitschy, corny and irreverently sweet that you'll love the toothache it causes you. You have to be in a silly mood to watch this...otherwise you'll hate it.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

June 4, 2006
Cool! I love Renee's performance. The music that they bring also good too!
PantaOz
PantaOz

September 6, 2009
I am a fan of Renee Zellweger and not a great fan of Ewan McGregor, but I am really wondering what were they thinking before accepting these roles. Flat parody with no sparks at all! After this movie I would not recommend Peyton Reed as a director. Watch something else!
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

June 20, 2011
`It's revenge...against men!'

Set in the 1960s, the movie follows the story of Barbara Novak (Rene Zellweger), a lady with a female ax to grind who moves to New York City and has her book, `Down With Love,' published. She is set to be interviewed by Know Magazine's star reporter, Catcher Block (Ewan McGregor), a combined roving bachelor and smug, successful journalist whose typical revolving-door treatment of women is a fine illustration of why the book was written.

When Block continually misses meetings with Novak to discuss her book because his sexual escapades with stewardesses, she refuses to meet him. What's more, she badmouths Block as a man while on a television show discussing her book. Block then plans to get even by writing an expose on Novak. Pretending to be someone else, he plans on getting her to fall in love with him by abstaining from sex with her, the very opposite of what Novak writes that women should do in her book-forget the love and go straight for the sex. He's ready to put her in her place but it sort of blows up in his face when he starts to fall in love with her.

Complete Eye Candy! The scenes, the costumes, the cinematography! Everything just grabs the eye, the sexual slap stick is rampant and Ewan and Renee give delightful performances. McGregor is delightfully suave, wicked and even boyish as the womanizing cad. The split screen montage of sexual positions was brilliant, and the musical number at the end was genius.
Alec B

July 10, 2010
Its too obnoxious and self aware for its own good. The music is good and David Hyde Pierce is hysterical but the film fails to really capture the essence of early 1960s romantic comedies or lampoon them either.
Nicolas K

January 27, 2008
If you love those old movies, you'll probably adore this new one.
ashley h

June 22, 2007
This movie was trying to be too Doris Day/rock Hudson and it just didn't work
Yinalí R

June 20, 2007
Weird..
Angela A

September 13, 2008
This movie is pure light-hearted silliness. The outfits are magic and the comedy is slightly screwball. There are moments which are reminiscent of Moulin Rouge while others are more like Austin Powers. It's just great for a laugh.
Sunil J

January 31, 2008
A charming look back at the 60s with the eyes of modern times.