20% Transcendence Apr 18

Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Gloom Beam Reviews

bug761
bug761

April 11, 2011
This movie was so crazy. I loved it!!! Though made in 1986, it was ahead of its time. Dr. Otto, played by Varney, wants to make money worthless and demagnetizes credit cards and damages bank accounts where no one can cash their checks, thus causing riots to break out all over the U.S. The nation is looking at another depression, one worse than the one in the 1920's. The economy is bad, the government has no idea who owes who and how much. The stock market is in a mess. It really reminds me of how our economy is today-in 2011. When you get right down to it, this movie is not far off the mark on how things are or are going to be. Varney-one of the chief writers (along with Cherry and Sams)-knew what he was doing when he wrote this. Lance was kind of a pathetic excuse for a hero that I found myself siding with Dr. Otto Von Schnick-ick-ick. I loved the riddle and I only could figure out that Auntie Nelda and the South Pole was the answers. The 'changing coffin' was a favorite of mine and along with Dr. Otto, Guy Dandy was another favorite character. Call me strange, but I think Dr. Otto is kind of hot. Other characters Varney portrays in this movie: Rudd Hardtact and Laughin' Jack. Of course, I cracked the biggest smile at the end of the movie when none other than 'Ernest P. Worrell' stepped out of the 'changing coffin'. This is not an 'Ernest' movie and has a much darker theme but it's still a great movie. I noticed a lot of characters that have went on to be in the Ernest movies like Mac Bennett, Daniel Butler, Myke Mueller, Jackie Welch and Bill Byrge, who actually had a speaking role in this as a gas attendant.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 1, 2008
Crazy Jim Varney goodness.
Chris C.
July 27, 2013
I saw this movie as the first show of a double feature at a drive-in in 1986. We went to see Rambo First Blood Part 2. We had never heard of this movie. I still recall it as the worst movie I have ever seen. Bizarre! Many of these characters showed up again on Jim Varney's Saturday morning kids show, which, ironically, wasn't bad. Very,, very strange movie.
Jack P.
October 14, 2010
Funny, but there's better Jim Varney films out there.
garfield2710
July 29, 2010
This film is pretty dumb, but it's also pretty funny and entertaining.