Dr. Who and the Daleks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Who and the Daleks Reviews

November 20, 2011
In order for a Dr. Who fan to enjoy this, they must first come to terms with the fact that the Doctor is made a human with the surname of Who. He also invented the TARDIS himself. It's not that hard to ignore, as once they leave Earth, the plot is pretty much exactly what one should expect from Who. He travels into space with a number of companions and must help a peaceful race stop those damn pesky Daleks. Cushing gives a rather decent performance, being absent minded but clever at the same time. Roy Castle is overused as a mumbling fool. He falls over when doors open, sits on things, runs into walls etc. But at least he has a slight arc as he overcomes his fears and becomes heroic. Linden is more of an excuse to have Castle come along, as she doesn't do much. Perhaps two guys and a little girl travelling in space together would have seemed too weird to some. Some of the writing is a bit rough, as it basically just wants to hurry along. When meeting his granddaughter's new boyfriend the first thing Who does is show him the time machine. Good score, decent enough effects, result in a movie that doesn't betray its television roots. With some clever writing this could easily be placed into The Doctor's timeline, but as it stands it is some cheesy sci-fi fun.
May 3, 2007
Hmmm. It was certainly the wrong idea to make the show into a movie but I don't know if the show came from the film. However this film has soom laughable moments and is not one I recomend but it's a film that will entertain you on a weekend for sure
June 16, 2008
With a budget just barely above that of the TV show, this is a big screen, color remake of first Dalek adventure, which doesn't expand the story, while removing most of the elements that made the television show so intriguing. The Doctor is just some scientist from earth, as is his granddaughter Susan. Barbara is now also the doctor's granddaughter and Ian is her suitor. Peter Cushing does give an interesting interpretation of the the Doctor. Hard core fans of the television series may want to view this, everyone else beware.
October 7, 2015
This probably shouldn't be watched by Doctor Who fans, as it gets just enough wrong to drive them to fan rage. But as a movie itself, it's not good either. It keeps the viewer somewhat engaged, but it also lacks the laughably bad moments we have come to love about old sci fi movies.
November 24, 2013
When you ignore the fact that it's not Doctor Who despite the presence of the the TARDIS and the Daleks, it might be somewhat enjoyable as a 60's sci-fi flick. The sets are cheesy, the characters are cliche, and the plot is a mess. Not to mention long Dalek monologues. While I've no clue why they would make something as non-canonical as this, it's far from terrible.
September 28, 2010
Really a good film. It is not over-long , over-dark or too "hollywodized". They made a great sci-fi/comedy film with not so great effects , but that doesn't worsen it. I recommend it dearly.
½ December 28, 2011
Sort of a big budget remake of the second serial to air in my favorite show, Doctor Who. The serial in question is The Daleks, which introduces the oldest and most recurring villain (the...uh...daleks). The film is sort of hit and miss. Personally, Peter Cushing isn't as entertaining for me as William Hartnell, his TV counterpart. This film on its own isn't all that special. The effects and color are stunning, and make the cheap old black and white originals pale in comparison...but the feel isn't quite as special as the series was from the start.
April 13, 2011
I could see how this was probably better as a TV serial. Mostly fun, though. Wish someone would have come up with an alternative to all those long literally monotonous scenes of the Daleks spouting robotic exposition, for sure.
March 5, 2009
i just threw this in the mix bcuz i love Dr. Who and theres no recent movies

threw this in the mix cuz i love dr. who, but i like the newer stuff better and there isnt any recent movies
July 26, 2007
I love bad movies and I also love Doctor Who, so I thought this was a good purchase. That was until I watched the first five minutes where they say the doctor is a human inventor who had just finished his latest invention: a big blue phone box called the T.A.R.D.I.S. (stands for "Time And Relative Dimensions In Space", pretty much a go anywhere/any when machine).

Ok, for those of you who have never come across Doctor Who before, here is a little explanation. The doctor is an alien with two hearts. He is from a race of beings called the Time Lords from the planet Gallifrey. The reason the T.A.R.D.I.S looks like a phone box is its camouflage unit malfunctioned while on earth in the 50's and the doctor has never repaired it.

Other than the bad attempt to change the doctor into a human, what else can I say about the movie? Firstly, Peter Cushing was not terrible as the doctor; since he was playing a human instead of a strange alien, admittedly, it was not his fault but the script's. However, he played the doctor as oddly as you could expect.

The rest of the crew who travel with the doctor are Barbara, the doctor's niece; Ian, her boyfriend; and Susan, his granddaughter. After the T.A.R.D.I.S is accidentally turned on they find themselves on the planet Skaro, home of two races - the evil Daleks and the peaceful Tharls.

The Daleks are what I always remember them to be - giant armored suits that cannot go up stairs or on unleveled ground. They are obsessed with destroying the Tharls and taking over the galaxy.

This movie, if not for the fact it goes completely against the known Doctor Who story, would be watch-able. But since they changed the doctor's character, I felt myself through the whole movie thinking that it was just so wrong I could not enjoy it that much.
½ May 5, 2007
The first of two films starring Peter Cushing as the eponymous Doctor, and definitely the weaker of the two. It's so '60s it's shameless - multi-colored Daleks, lava lamps, blue aliens with eyeliner. Cushing's Doctor oddly pre-dates Patrick Troughton's more endearing performance, but frankly, it's a bit much, and Roy Castle's larking about doesn't help. Recommended only for completists.
½ April 28, 2007
Great Doctor Who fun on the big screen. Very good effort for a small budget film. Every Doctor Who fan should see it once. It also shows that Peter Cushing would have been a great Doctor.
March 30, 2007
don't remember this one per se, but they're all the same...except with different main characters...and places...and Dr. Who
June 16, 2008
October 7, 2015
June 6, 2015
Terry Nation's creation of TV's Doctor Who got a feature film adaptation and was changed to Dr. Who. Besides the name change, The Doctor is now a human doctor and not a Time Lord and the Dalek's don't look quite the same. However, he does still have a Tardis that's bigger on the inside and has some companions who join him on an interstellar adventure. The character of The Doctor is pretty different from the show, but the story seems like a fairly typical Who story. Peter Cushing is fine as the Doctor, but nothing exceptional, which is kind of disappointing since Cushing has had so many other memorable parts.
May 28, 2015
Probably a bit confusing for some since it changes many of the characters from the First Doctor years (most notably the Doctor is a human named Dr. Who and he invents the TARDIS).
February 17, 2014
such a good film.I would defineatly recomend it
½ December 22, 2013
Tydligen en halvt inofficiell Doctor Who-film, som bygger på ett avsnitt ur original-serien. Inledningsvis är det rappt, kul och snyggt, för att senare bli en blek variant av The Time Machine (1960). Dalekarna, som "can move easily", är dock underhållande rakt igenom.
November 26, 2013
An Extremely Well Made Film, That's A Remake Of The Second Story William Hartnell Had Appeared In, The Daleks (1963), Written By Terry Nation. For Whovian's To Enjoy This, You First Have To Get Your Head Round The Fact That, The Doctor Is Now Human & His Surname Is Who. Secondly He Built The TARDIS & Finally Barbara Is Now Also His Granddaughter. After This Revelation The Film Rather Quickly Becomes A Typical Who Story. The TARDIS, Sends The Crew To Skaro, Where The Thals And Daleks Are Fighting A War, The Doctor Helps The Thals Defeat The Daleks. A Simple Plot But One That Works. This Unofficial Dr. Who Outing Is The First Time The Doctor Was Seen In Colour.