63% Hercules Jul 25

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Dr. Who and the Daleks Reviews

tommsbabe
January 12, 2008
all you dr. who fans, this is the original dr who series
October 16, 2007
Essentially a good film, if you have never heard of Doctor Who before!

This is a film version of the second Doctor Who adventure "The Daleks" and if you are a fan of the TV series then do not watch this film - I watched this film and for the the almost 90 minutes that this was on, I was shouting at the screen due to all the inconsistoncies.

First off, the Doctor is a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey and not a human who wanted to build a time machine.

Secondly, his name has never been Dr Who, he has alwas been known as "The Doctor" or his UNIT alias Dr John Smith.

Thirdly, he only had one grand-daughter; Susan Foreman. Barbara Wright and Ian Chesterton were Susan's teachers and not the Doctor's other grand-daughter and her boyfriend!

Dare I go on..????
masons13
September 15, 2007
i like dr who it doesnt matter 2 me
greendayfudge
August 12, 2007
Really good plot and awesome british actors!
ccperren
August 11, 2007
A bit slow, but classic.
July 26, 2007
I love bad movies and I also love Doctor Who, so I thought this was a good purchase. That was until I watched the first five minutes where they say the doctor is a human inventor who had just finished his latest invention: a big blue phone box called the T.A.R.D.I.S. (stands for "Time And Relative Dimensions In Space", pretty much a go anywhere/any when machine).

Ok, for those of you who have never come across Doctor Who before, here is a little explanation. The doctor is an alien with two hearts. He is from a race of beings called the Time Lords from the planet Gallifrey. The reason the T.A.R.D.I.S looks like a phone box is its camouflage unit malfunctioned while on earth in the 50's and the doctor has never repaired it.

Other than the bad attempt to change the doctor into a human, what else can I say about the movie? Firstly, Peter Cushing was not terrible as the doctor; since he was playing a human instead of a strange alien, admittedly, it was not his fault but the script's. However, he played the doctor as oddly as you could expect.

The rest of the crew who travel with the doctor are Barbara, the doctor's niece; Ian, her boyfriend; and Susan, his granddaughter. After the T.A.R.D.I.S is accidentally turned on they find themselves on the planet Skaro, home of two races - the evil Daleks and the peaceful Tharls.

The Daleks are what I always remember them to be - giant armored suits that cannot go up stairs or on unleveled ground. They are obsessed with destroying the Tharls and taking over the galaxy.

This movie, if not for the fact it goes completely against the known Doctor Who story, would be watch-able. But since they changed the doctor's character, I felt myself through the whole movie thinking that it was just so wrong I could not enjoy it that much.
AntManBee
June 3, 2007
This big-screen version of Doctor Who isn't the real McCoy (so to speak), but judged on its own merits, it's a perfectly decent slice of family entertainment.
I love Cushing's portrayal of the Doctor (he's actually CALLED "Dr Who", as opposed to "the Doctor") as just a dotty grandfather (a similar character to the one he later played in At The Earth's Core) ...I don't think he's even supposed to be Gallifreyan in this.
Roy Castle plays a bit of a fuckwit, who may or may not annoy the piss out of you (although for me, a child of the '70s, Roy Castle is a legend). Hilariously, the big, bad, menacing Daleks decorate their control room with lava lamps! (How quaint.)
Enjoyable sci-fi adventure from Amicus Films. No sonic-screwdrivers in this, y'know!
wallflowerblu85
July 20, 2007
Oldie, but goodie...
eldatari
July 18, 2007
I can't decide if these Peter-Cushing-as-Doctor-Who movies are terrible or fantastic. They've taken early series from William Hartnell's years as The Doctor and turned them into 1960s Drive-In movies. I mean... the Daleks decorate with lava lamps. However, it rides that fine line where it's so campy that it's actually enjoyable. The movies gave me the feeling you get when a film contains a scene where the story you're seeing is turned into a Hollywood movie, and everything is glitzed up and absurd.
progrocktv
July 5, 2007
To cash in on the big Doctor Who "Daleks" craze of the early 1960's, the BBC were quick to sell the film rights and thus 2 Doctor Who films were created. Even though this film has an amazing cast including Peter Cushing and Roy Castle, this film is only a shadow of the classic BBC TV series.
July 4, 2007
Peter Cushing is Dr Who in this. It's quite good!
July 3, 2007
Not as good as its sequel. A little too lovey-dubby and preachy for my tastes.
traceydian
June 24, 2007
they dont make movies like this anymore!!!
wadykins
May 25, 2007
bringing the Doctor to the big screen in a big way
sspidermann
May 22, 2007
I remember it being good. But i do need a refresher!
extrememan4000
May 6, 2007
I thought this was the better of the two dalek films.
May 5, 2007
The first of two films starring Peter Cushing as the eponymous Doctor, and definitely the weaker of the two. It's so '60s it's shameless - multi-colored Daleks, lava lamps, blue aliens with eyeliner. Cushing's Doctor oddly pre-dates Patrick Troughton's more endearing performance, but frankly, it's a bit much, and Roy Castle's larking about doesn't help. Recommended only for completists.
Sarah G

May 3, 2007
Hmmm. It was certainly the wrong idea to make the show into a movie but I don't know if the show came from the film. However this film has soom laughable moments and is not one I recomend but it's a film that will entertain you on a weekend for sure
April 28, 2007
Oh, god, when Daleks have lava lamps, you know you're alive
eirikfarwanderer
April 28, 2007
Great Doctor Who fun on the big screen. Very good effort for a small budget film. Every Doctor Who fan should see it once. It also shows that Peter Cushing would have been a great Doctor.