Dr. No

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Dr. No Reviews

July 6, 2014
As much as i like Sean Connery as Bond he alone couldn't take away how long this film can feel at times.
July 6, 2014
While everything else has aged, the star power of Sean Connery is undeniable, and the movie floats along on his immense breezy charm.
November 23, 2009
The first is one of the best. Bond was introduced in this and twenty something movies later he is still going strong
July 1, 2014
I had last seen this as a kid. I enjoyed Connery in it, but found it really dated and cheesy, especially after the recent Bond films, it's tough to go back to these older films. But, nice scenery and enough humour to entertain, just not really for me. For Bond fans only.
June 22, 2014
I have no idea why this is often rated as the #1 Bond movie of all time. It's very dated and the action is lackluster. I do realize it kicked off the whole series but that alone is not enough reason to rate it ahead of other, better Bond efforts by Connery and Craig. My list of best Bonds goes Connery, Craig, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan.
Stephen M

August 16, 2009
Although rough around the edges, many of the hallmarks of the series are present and correct in the very first film. Connery's Bond has a ruthlessness about him here that he would sadly lose as the series progressed. The modesty of the budget thankfully keeps the writers' imaginations and Ken Adam's production design of villain Joseph Wiseman's lair in check, a situation which would alter as the series became a victim of its own success, culminating in a plausibility nadir of sorts with Donald Pleasance's volcanic hideout in You Only Live Twice.
June 11, 2014
Cool, fun, and entertaining.
Danwah
October 26, 2012
A bit rigid but fun and enjoyable enough.
May 26, 2014
Dr. No was a great start to the long running series of Bond films from Eon Productions.
May 21, 2014
A pivotal and iconic film in cinema, defining the future of action films to come, Dr. No is a smart, witty, and fresh take on the action genre, seldom seen anymore.
William C.
April 21, 2014
Dr No is the start of a massive spy franchise that is still going strong today, with a fun new man named Mr James Bond and his charisma to match is known notorious name, Dr No provides essential viewing for any fan wanting to see every film. Is it a good start? ,well that in the end is up to you but as for me I felt it was strongly a kind of good film, I know many absolutely love this but some find it lacklustre, just sit back and see, here is why I felt it was a safely kind of pretty good film below.

The story kicks off with a bang, and a beautiful location to go with it, and with also joining in a sinister looking villain, what else could you really need to see from Bond. Although I don't think this is executed perfectly it still makes for good viewing and can still entertain fans and not particular fans a like. The story is somewhat predictable toward the end but with a middle part that I found especially thrilling it makes up for lost time with a great bunch of scenes where Bond is in trouble.

Connery starts safely and firmly brings us a taste to come from his era as Bond, with a suave suit that can dazzle the ladies, to a swimsuit that can well, also dazzle the ladies Connery oozes charm. The rest of the cast take a much further back seat to Sean and Ursula Andress as the Bond girl is good but not perfect and I felt she seemed a little lost in this. Other characters such as Quarrel a local Cayman Islander make fun work too and definitely help this films rating go up a little.

Terence Young kicks Bond off under his guise and makes a good if not sometimes odd selection job, but overall he does well, The reason it is odd is simple things like physics, the stunts could have been done a certain way but they insist on being ridiculous, and I think Young did this. Written well though and introducing things that are still seen today in Bond the writing creates a sense that Bond was always there, and we always knew it. I loved the location to it, it doesn't really help the films mark but it looks stunning and sets off the adventures Bond goes on.

The film isn't a super solid piece and with slower parts and bits that seem pointless, Dr No is a film I feel is overrated but nevertheless a kind of good one. It can sometimes lack the thrills we expect and I am not sure if that is down to it being a light 60's film, or the writing or directing just screwing it up, anyway it is the film still manages a lot of positive away from such things as thrills and drama that may lack here.

Bond fans well, I am not saying you should watch it as it is the best, but you have to see it to call yourself a true fan with most of the things Bond does originating from this film. Those wanting a more dark Bond will still be disappointed and a dark Bond doesn't really come round the corner until way off in 1989, so stay off if you dislike charm and style, and want big bucks guns and effects.

Overall I give this a 6.6/10 meaning It is Safely an OK film, near to be being good but just misses out with the criticisms I gave it. It is still a fun film and worth a watch as the story is basic like but serves to let you enjoy it, but don't feel you have to like it because others say so much good stuff about it. On that point to any critics, never feel pressured to rate this lower even if everyone seems to love it, the film is far from flawless.
May 16, 2014
The beginning of Bond movies and just good fun.
January 15, 2010
Sean Connery. Enough said! :D
January 20, 2013
Incluso con sus fallos y sus tiras y aflojas, destaca por su interesante e inteligente historia, buenas actuaciones (destacando a Sean Connery), un decorado espectacular, buen humor y acción (hasta cierto punto) notable para la época. En pocas palabras: puro entretenimiento e intriga.

Nota: 7.3/10
May 6, 2014
The first James Bond movie, the one that started it all. Young people today don't understand what James Bond used to be. When Crag took over from Bronson. Bond got a makeover while they were at it. To me anyway it was a welcome makeover because James Bond movies up to that point were rather silly. All about weird gadgets ;ike exploding pens and watches that shot lasers. Not to say the movie were not fun to watch, they were just more Comedy Action then Spy movies. Dr. No is a great movie, its formula was followed for 40+ years. Any Bond fan should watch the classics, like Dr. No.
Landon M.
May 3, 2014
The movie that started it all!
April 20, 2014
A relatively grounded debut for James Bond, which never lets it excitement and action get too out of hand or outshine drama and atmosphere.
Vincent G.
April 17, 2014
Dr. No is the first film in the most suscessful series of all time, Feauturing a Sean connery on his 30's,, this james bond movie is full of adventure,action and mistery. Connery's suave and calm performance and Terence young's directing rise the status of this action/adventure masterpiece. The music (or soundtrack). And style, the villian.(Joseph wiseman as Dr. No),the storyline, the action is what makes of this movie a must see.
ShakenNotStirred007
July 25, 2011
A swift and dashing film, Dr. No is an exceptional introduction to the Bond series that is intelligently crafted, handsomely captured and grounded in enthralling, provocative performances from Sean Connery and Ursula Andress.
shakercoola
January 11, 2014
It's the first of the canon, and it's a classic. Connery nails most aspects of the character from the Ian Fleming books. Arguably the best Bond formula film too even if it lacks the budget of Goldfinger or Skyfall.