—— Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Doragon b˘ru Z 1: Ora no Gohan wo kaese (Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone) Reviews

Christopher H

November 16, 2012
The first film in the Dragonball Z movies is an early classic. Acting as a prelude to the TV series, the villain Garlic Jr. (who would later get his own saga in the show) is a nice mix between the comedic villains of Dragonball and the hulking baddies of Z. Providing a balanced mix of humor and hand-to-hand martial arts action, The Dead Zone runs at a brisk pace at 45 minutes with little filler. This film nicely highlights the Goku/Piccolo rivalry and the hidden powers of Gohan that will later be explored in the show. Should be entertaining to fans of the show and a seminal introduction to newcomers.
Steven V

March 26, 2007
Great movie. This movie had excellent animation, cool fight scenes, great characters, love the music, and a length of 45 minutes.
tnlovebugsboy187
February 27, 2007
I have alot of Dragon Ball Z Movies and i like anime alot this anime is packed with butt kicking in it all the way
December 21, 2013
A worthy start to the Dragon Ball Z films
Maineutral R.
August 9, 2013
To be the first movie, of course there's gonna be some details to be fixed, but the story itself is very interesting, and so is the following of it, but the villain (already a Dragon Ball familiar) is flat. A highly entertaining movie that acts more like a lost episode than an special story.
August 22, 2013
Interesante adaptaciˇn de la serie que funciona como propuesta para una saga de pelÝculas, algo que en el futuro es tanto de agradecer como pesado.
March 10, 2013
The First DBZ movie is well paced and action packed. The nostalgia always wins out when comparing it with the more recent DBZ movies.
March 1, 2013
Awesome film with great action, humor, and art.
Christopher H

November 16, 2012
November 28, 2012
A worthwhile start to the DBZ movies.
tysonwritesel
October 16, 2012
Old school animation that is still interesting. Garlic Jr. is the main bad guy who wants to become invincible. Goku and Piccolo etc have to stop him.
October 4, 2011
A great prequel to Dragon Ball Z, but unnecessary.
TheGateofTruth
December 30, 2011
An entertaining film with some great classic early 90's hand drawn animation that is nicely shaded with dark colors that still looks excellent to this day.The Ocean english dub of the film is quite good and is a staple of how remarkably well done the original dub was in the mid 90's while the film itself is more a less an extended episode of the series its still great entertainment that I'm sure any die hard Dragonball Z fan or casual fan will enjoy.
October 17, 2011
First DBZ movie which pre-dates any of the dbz TV series material. Entertaining, but filled with the usual DBZ plot devices and linear plot
Chad H.
January 23, 2011
First off, I would like to say that I am a huge Dragon Ball Z fan, however I am going to review this movie fairly and not just give it a 100%. So its nothing new to the fans but for others out there, this movie is about a man named Goku along with other characters such a Piccolo, Gohan, and Krillin. It is an anime type of movie so if you aren't a fan of anime in general this movie may not exactly be for you. But to start everyone off, the main protagonist is Goku, but in this particular movie the antagonist is Garlic Jr. It is first revealed early on in the movie that Piccolo is training in order to defeat his rival Goku. However, Piccolo is soon attacked by unknown forces, this leads us back to our story. It seems that Garlic Jr. is seeking the Dragon Balls, to grant him his wish of Immortality.
Now the anime itself is just incredible, it is fighting mixed with bits and pieces of comedy which is always a good thing. Just the sheer rush of all the action is what I truly love about this anime. Now since its only about forty minutes, there isn't really a lot to talk about so you will have to see it all for yourself.
I had a few problems with it, from a fans side of view, along with from a critics point of view. From a fans perspective there is just a simple plot hole. This happens to deal with Krillin and his discovery of Goku's son Gohan where as in the anime Krillin reveals to have never seen Gohan. And that is my fan based problem, if anybody happens to care. Now from a critics point of view. Its interesting to say the least, however it provides little plot development rather than introducing a new villain. It does however provide a bit of insight into Kami and his back story, but other than that; that's all. It is also rather short as on television the anime show would run for about thirty minutes where as the movie is around forty minutes. So that was a little bit of a let down. But this movie is good nonetheless. So if you like anime, and classic fighting martial arts style, then check out "Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone". Overall this movie has my seal of approval along with a 70% which at the end of the day, aint half bad.
Matthew Dominic Gist
December 6, 2010
In this first of thirteen Dragon Ball Z films, villain Garlic Jr. (Akira Kamiya), who would return to wreak further havoc in the television series directly following the excellent Frieza Saga, makes his debut with a diabolical scheme to gain immortality via the dragon balls and to avenge his father, who was defeated by Kami's (Takeshi Aono) predecessor and banished to the so-called "Dead Zone." With the help of his three wacky henchmen, Garlic Jr. succeeds in gathering all seven dragon balls and is granted his wish for immortality. It's up to Goku (Masako Nozawa) and friends to put an end to this sinister plot.

Firstly, you should know that, in the Dragon Ball Z chronology, Dead Zone precedes the entire series and the arrival of Raditz. Secondly, I'm a huge fan of the Dragon Ball Z series and was known to throw tantrums if I missed even a single episode during my early teens. It was only in a recent bout of nostalgia, however, that I rewatched the entire series in its 291-episode, uncut, uncensored, remastered glory. I had never seen this film before, however, and I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to disguise my disappointment any longer.

Dead Zone is a disaster of a film, but, considering its forty-one-minute runtime, it should come as no surprise. It would need to be at least twice as long to be worth even half its weight in excrement, but I'll be frank: I'm glad it wasn't longer because even forty-one minutes was a feat of endurance on my part. With zero character development, an uninteresting and downright annoying villain, and a story any six-year-old could have written on a napkin in under two minutes, the only conceivable reason to see this film is if, like me, you were curious about where this Garlic Jr. character came from when he seems to come out of nowhere in episode 108 of the television series.

The corny antics and the terrible pacing really do a number on this film.
Zack B.
November 29, 2010
Not a great film, but it does a decent job of putting together a worthy Dragon Ball story. I don't know if I would call these things movies though just becuase they are basically the length of two episodes. Both funny and action packed, but insignificent. Does a decent job of bridging Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.
November 6, 2010
Great action and effects, but continuity fallacies and embarrassing dialogue takes away from the film's charm.
Big Bad John
April 30, 2010
Dragonball Z is a the most popular anime series of all time. And not only does this series spanover 200 episodes, it also has 13 extra stories that are placed into hour long movies..and Dead Zone is the first. Dead Zone starts out when a pipe-sized tyrant Gralic jr. kidnaps Goku's son Gohan. Garlic jr. plans to summon the Internal Dragon so he can obtain Immortality...and unfortunately he does. Goku and Piccolo are mortal enemies but will have to join forces to stop this eternal monster once and for all. This movie was one of the best out of the 13 features, but there are alot more to go, and better villians as well.