Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story Reviews

deano
November 29, 2006
I'm a such fan of Bruce Lee since 1973's Enter the Dragon and really interested to watch the biography of the legendary martial artist star at the first time.
Jason Scott Lee (no relation) is impressive as Bruce Lee and he successfully captures his mannerisms, attitude and even his fighting style, extremely convincingly. He trained the art of Jeet Kun Do by one of Bruce Lee's real-life students. And Lee and Lauren Holly, as Bruce's wife Linda, share a remarkable chemistry together and are certainly a credit to their subjects.
Director Rob Cohen does his best work with this film showing that he could easily direct fight scenes and able that he could balance it out with personal drama.
Check out Bruce Lee's daughter, Shannon, appeared cameo in this biography film as a singer. Originally Bruce's son, Brandon, was offered the part of his father in this, but declined and unfortunately later died before this film was completed. And I'm very pleased to see at the end of credit sending the regret of Brandon's death during the same year while this film released.
February 28, 2007
The Biopic of Bruce Lee's life. The inspiring, strong willed man, whose mind, body, soul and strength led him to become the huge legend he is known as today.

A truly great portrayal by Jason Scott Lee as Bruce Lee in the film, who fit the role, so well physcially.

The story reveals a true insight into the prejudice surrounding the combined cultures during the era and the strength of Bruce and Linda's relationship through their time together.

A man who united people boyond traditions.
March 2, 2008
Biographical story of Bruce Lee the famous martial arts Hollywood star. In depth and great soundtrack
July 11, 2007
I liked it. It was well made and the cast was cool. I liked how they put in the "curse" he lived with and to see his history was pretty neat.
½ June 24, 2007
A good biography of the martial arts master, even though it has a made for TV movie feel to it.
xxdebxx
½ May 31, 2010
A dramatic biography about martial arts legend Bruce Lee (played by Jason Scott Lee *no relation*) who trains in Hong Kong and goes to America overcoming every obstacle from racism to rejection from his own people, to opening his Kung-Fu school, getting married and having kids. Lee's life is a touching tale depicting the struggle against a family curse of their sons dying young. It is said that the naming of Bruce Lee as Little Dragon -- Xiao Loong -- by his parents was sacrilegious and offended the gods (because Gods were also referred as Dragons in Chinese mythology). The release of Dragon and the retelling of the Chinese curse were given even greater poignancy and disquiet as they coincided with the death of Brandon Lee, Bruce's only son, while filming the Crow. Both father and son died at the threshold of breaking through in their careers. Lauren Holly is competent as the devoted wife Linda Lee's who stands by her man (but then again this is based on her own biography of Lee and actually co-written by her and no doubt she clearly wants to portray him in a positive light.)

The movie depicts Bruce Lee's day to day trials and his own style, Jeet Kune Do including the incredulous reaction on the set of 'Green Hornet' the first time he did the role as sidekick Kato to his groundbreaking success in movies like The Big Boss and Enter the Dragon. How he led a life of fullness until it was short circuited at the tender age of 32.

Dragon the Bruce Lee story may not be completely accurate and Jason Scott Lee is no Bruce Lee; he is physically too big to portray him. Bruce wasn't buff like him. Bruce was lean but still very muscular and extremely chiseled. Nevertheless this was a very inspirational story of a man who simply wanted to show others "the beauty of his culture" and I really enjoyed it. I saw Bruce Lee as an Idol and I choose to see him as a hero.
January 7, 2009
Good for a made-for-tv movie. Great performance by Jason Scott Lee. Good supporting performance by Lauren Holly.
jimbotender
½ August 19, 2008
Great idea of a biopic in memory of a martial arts master (acting skills of Elvis Presley though),still it just needed a touch of spice more.A series of photographic life images won't hold up to the test of time.
August 4, 2008
Fairly entertaining look into the life of the late martial arts legend and film star.This shows Bruce Lee's rise to fame and what he has to go through to get there.Jason Scott Lee is very good as Lee as he seems to have the right amount of intesity and passion as the man himself as well as the right facial expressions and fight noises!Although this doesn't go into great detail of his life,it's not an epic biopic like, say, The Aviator, but it's an entertaining look into the life of a passionate fighter who had to fight to be accepted,both physically and mentally and through that had a well deserved rise to stardom which was stopped suddenly by his untimely death.
Not great but still a compelling and exciting film at times and worth a watch.
½ June 14, 2008
Sure the movie is a little off the mark but the story is irresistible and Jason Scott Lee is magnetic in the biopic of the greatest martial arts legend of all time.
March 10, 2008
This is a good movie dont get me wrong but i thought they would have made it a little longer there was so much to tell about the one time true master of the martial arts
iLeo
December 19, 2007
A great film!
August 6, 2007
This is such a great story about an amazing person and the trials of his life and mind. I've always loved it!
April 1, 2007
Jason Scott Lee does a great job as Bruce, however the writing credited to widow Linda Lee was not true to actual life.
Originally, Lee and his family started their American lives in Seattle (not San Francisco).
This may not ever be revealed to many people, but the true nature of Lee's death is controversial. He was not romantically involved with Linda at the time of his death, instead died in Hong Kong while staying with his mistress.
The film would be a beautiful biopic, if the truth weren't distorted, and if the director's vision did not include so many awkward dream sequences of Lee's nightmares.
July 19, 2014
Fun! Made me cry to recall Bruce and Brandon Lee's death. Cool how they used the old Bruce Lee fight scenes as scenes in this movie. Smart and creative.
½ April 15, 2014
"All & all I'm sure it was pretty accurate to a lot of parts of his life."

****1/2

For a Bio movie, this was pretty good; It had a few add on's, I'm sure, to the life, of the legendary, actor & martial artist, to amplify, the feeling, of drama... But all & all I'm sure it was pretty accurate to a lot of parts of his life.

~

I give this Bio film a B (Bright)
October 15, 2013
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story is an adequate bio-pic of the legendary Bruce Lee. It does have a few intentional Hollywood inaccuracies for the sake of entertainment, but overall this is an entertaining film and it does the legendary martial artist justice. Jason Scott Lee portrays Bruce Lee with absolute intensity, and Lauren Holly is convincing as Lee's wife Linda. Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story is a solid biopic on its own terms with good performances, a great soundtrack, and a film that makes Bruce Lee more than just a martial artist, but an exceptional human being.
½ February 21, 2014

~

I give this Bio film a B (Bright)
February 15, 2013
Powerful, insightful and ultimately satisfying, even for something as mysterious and unexplainable as Bruce Lee's death. Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story does great justice to the legendary figure with strong performances, emotional complexity and pulse-pounding action; realistically recreating the martial art master's memorable cinematic moments. 5/5 stars.
½ December 2, 2012
HIghly enjoyable film about the life of Bruce Lee. My only question is: Did he really break his back as mentioned here??